Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The French should beware of "unintended consequences".

Blocking exports to the UK may inconvenience UK consumers, but may have a more devastating effect on French producers who rely on those exports to keep in business.

Everybody should beware of 'unintended consequences' but in the case of Johnson it is the intended consequences that are the problem, viz signing deals he never intended to honour.

Clearly you still haven't grasped the relative sizes of the UK market & the Single Market, or that many supply chains to both NI & Great Britain are being re-routed through Ireland - I don't think you will find too many French producers panicking, they all know who is going win this and the other battles that Johnson has started and it isn't going to be the UK.

Amazing, I really thought that the ridiculous 'they need us more than we need them' myth was one that had already been laid to rest but apparently not in your case. Truly you seem to be determined to be the last Brexit idiot still standing.

A research paper, Movement of Goods Under the TCA from the daily of law by Catherine Barnard show in frightening detail what brexit is doing to the UK. And to it's trade. Far from Brexit being a sudden jolt. It is a slow puncture of loss. As businesses move to the continent, and tariffs hit UK exporters hard. It highlights the stifling burden of post brexit regulation. Four million extra forms per week for exporters. New veterinary checks.Frighteningly the UK is still delaying import checks as they would bring the ports to a grinding halt. So much for controlling our borders.

Line chart of Value of imports and exports (£bn) showing Where UK trade would be had it not left the EUh

Edited by RobJames
  • Like 1

UK had issued almost 1,700 licences to EU boats where they could provide evidence of past fishing activity in UK waters and they  have a contract with the EU over the number of licences being reduced every year , so I see the French continuing  with their protest 

Not to mention the “temporary inflation blip” claimed now being revised to a longer term issue and the new estimated over 5% where the target was 2%. Any blockades or trade wars will only drive inflation higher costing everyone more for Brexit.

Add to this the 1 million job shortfalls and hit to UK companies who can’t get there products to the market due to lack of workers you have a recipe for an economy with major issues, but at least we have control of our boarders.

Funny though we’re losing skilled workers to other countries and at present replacing them with mass influx around 65% + from areas outside the EU or other Commonwewho most don’t have the skills or foundations needed to replace the skills we’re losing. Before anyone shouts racist, I’m not saying they don’t have the potential but most aren’t here from stable countries but fleeing for a better life.

The days of EU citizens coming here like dentists, doctors, nurses, farm hands, etc who come straight into growing our economy has gone, we now see added pressure of housing, training, educating and health for the incoming immigration system.

Those I know who we’re staunch Brexiteers are still anti EU and I’ve noticed these are also pro Boris even after all his failings and contracts for his mates! But others who are sensible and seen the impact and the way Boris behaves are pro EU now previously pro Brexit, and so anti Boris he’s loathed. So Swindo certainly isn’t alone, if he truly feels this way, they don’t look at the problems now caused nor the future, they still believe Bumbling Boris…..leading us to disaster, we’ll he’s an American and in the same mould as Trump.

Funny I don’t know any remain now pro Brexit!

Edited by Indy

Control out borders? Thats why there are record numbers of asylum seekers crossing the channel. And thanks to brexit they cannot be removed. We'll, five have. We cannot control who comes in because EU citizens can travel here on a 6 month visa. Then stay, working in the black economy. As to what comes in. Then it is open borders as the regulations the UK requires cannot be implemented. There is neither the staff nor the infrastructure. And if and when they do get sorted, the delays will cause massive blockage. We cannot even control who leaves. As businesses continue to re-locate to Europe.

14 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I am tolerant, I never call people names, I'm the only remainer on here yet everyone disagrees with me I do put up with it, the only thing I don't like is fellow supporters calling me names    

I think you'll find you aren't and weren't a remainer....

43 minutes ago, Indy said:

So Swindo certainly isn’t alone, if he truly feels this way, they don’t look at the problems now caused nor the future, they still believe Bumbling Boris…..leading us to disaster, we’ll he’s an American and in the same mould as Trump.

I think we're witnessing that weird  phenomena whereby an individual who has invested so much of their personal identity in supporting a particular policy or principle, becomes psychologically incapable of admitting it has proved to be a huge mistake. The stats suggest that those who voted leave who were fairly ambivalent about the vote have now by and large accepted they got it wrong and would vote differently. Brexit hardliners, however, who actually personally identified with brexit, and banged the drum for leave, simply can't face up to their responsibility for the ensuing catastrophe. Bearing in mind that we haven't even begun to experience anything like the full disastrous effects of brexit, it will be interesting to see for how long they can maintain pretending that the Emperor is still wearing clothes.

Just now, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I think you'll find you aren't and weren't a remainer....

I'm now a remainer it's you who want to leave and join the EU 

Just now, SwindonCanary said:

I'm now a remainer it's you who want to leave and join the EU 

So which group are you suggesting the UK remains a member of?

Other than N Korea, Iraq, Libya and a couple of others the UK is the only country not a member of a trading block. Odd how nearly 200 others see the advantages. However, it is still trading under EU regulations and standards. And paying into the EU. Only now it does not have any say. And that is how it will stay. UK companies will struggle to make an EU standard product to trade with the rest of the world. And a substandard one for the UK market. When the rail companies expanded in the UK they standardised the time. Much as with trade now. An inward looking UK. Cut off from global trade will not be able to survive. It will have to retain EU standards.

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

The French should beware of "unintended consequences".

Blocking exports to the UK may inconvenience UK consumers, but may have a more devastating effect on French producers who rely on those exports to keep in business.

Let’s hope they don’t block our vaccines, you know the ones manufactured in the EU that you claimed they hadn’t invested in.

35 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

we were not independent whilst in the EU 

Yes we were you idiot - how else where we able to leave the club???

We didn't have ask anybody's permission and we didn't even have to make a deal on leaving, it was entirely our independent decision taken by our sovereign Parliament. We could have left without any deal at all if we had chosen to do so and as Johnson repeatedly said we would (although it turns out he was lying again on that one).

Surely you are not so stupid as to still believe in these ridiculous Brexit myths that you voted for 5 years ago - that was stupid enough at the time but to continue to believe (or pretend to) in things which have been clearly demonstrated as totally untrue because you aren't honest enough to accept that you've been folled by a bunch of charlatans is truly pathetic.

And for the record our independence is far more compromised by our membership of NATO than it ever was by the EU and yet strangely I never hear you complain about that???

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Whilst in the EU we had to pay into the budget and follow the European Court 

Edited by (Hoola)Han Solo
Swindo is a cretin

11 hours ago, RobJames said:

Other than N Korea, Iraq, Libya and a couple of others the UK is the only country not a member of a trading block. Odd how nearly 200 others see the advantages. 

The UK started the accession process for CPTPP in June and is aiming to complete accession by the end of 2022, so this statement will only be true for a relatively short period of time in the grand scheme of things. 

14 hours ago, RobJames said:

Other than N Korea, Iraq, Libya and a couple of others the UK is the only country not a member of a trading block. Odd how nearly 200 others see the advantages. However, it is still trading under EU regulations and standards. And paying into the EU. Only now it does not have any say. And that is how it will stay. UK companies will struggle to make an EU standard product to trade with the rest of the world. And a substandard one for the UK market. When the rail companies expanded in the UK they standardised the time. Much as with trade now. An inward looking UK. Cut off from global trade will not be able to survive. It will have to retain EU standards.

Most trading blocs don’t have their own parliaments, laws, courts or rules such as freedom of movement or budgetary rules attached though, and if the EU didn’t we’d likely still be in it. If it had remained as it was when the UK joined the EEC nobody would ever have paid it much attention 

5 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The UK started the accession process for CPTPP in June and is aiming to complete accession by the end of 2022, so this statement will only be true for a relatively short period of time in the grand scheme of things. 

Of which absolutely no British citizen voted for or even knew was on the table.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Whilst in the EU we had to pay into the budget and follow the European Court  

Whilst not in the EU we have to pay the EU and for some things follow the European court. We also have to help pay Farage’s pension and fiddled expenses.

4 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Most trading blocs don’t have their own parliaments, laws, courts or rules such as freedom of movement or budgetary rules attached though, and if the EU didn’t we’d likely still be in it. If it had remained as it was when the UK joined the EEC nobody would ever have paid it much attention 

Not sure, as became apparent not long after many were driven by sheer hatred of lots of Europeans especially the French.

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

A cross-party Lords' report points out that membership of the CPTPP will have "limited economic benefits" but come with very real risks:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cptpp-pacific-trade-deal-nhs-drug-prices-b1958609.html

It comes nowhere near close to replacing the benefits lost by exiting the EU and single market.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

'The UK government has not produced an impact assessment that explains or quantifies the benefits it expects for the UK economy from accession to CPTPP. As such, it is a matter of dispute in UK as to whether accession is worth pursuing for economic reasons.Farmer, environmental and consumer groups have all raised concerns that the UK government will need to agree to lowering standards on pesticides, pig welfare and food labelling.'

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Not sure, as became apparent not long after many were driven by sheer hatred of lots of Europeans especially the French.

Everybody hates the French

The 27 will give up their sovereignty and become one superstate handing all decisions over to the unelected in Brussels. In the fullness of time, after the current teething troubles have passed, the electorate will realise what a good call we made to leave.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

I hate to mention this to you but most people actually didn't pay any attention to the EU parliament anyway - didn't vote and knew next to nothing about its function (most still don't as per the site idiot SC above). It was only introduced anyway to give more democratic accountability to the previous opaque EEC bodies that set the then common trading standards - rather like the CPTPP will now do.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 3