Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Did you not listen to the Russians as Horseflee is suggesting ?  

You can't even get that right you buffoon! I said you did EXACTLY what the Russians wanted by voting for brexit. Herman is no doubt right that the Russian campaign to influence the result will have included material that you will have naively swallowed without realising it's source. Either way, you ended up doing EXACTLY what Russia wanted (and for that matter every country hostile to the UK, such as China). Perhaps you can tell us why Russia, China et al were so keen on the UK public voting for brexit?

51 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Perhaps you can tell us why Russia, China et al were so keen on the UK public voting for brexit?

maybe they want Britain to do well

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

How did we do well ? when it was all done from Strasbourg

At least Strasbourg is closer than Moscow.

Brexit is affecting Wales now, especially the ports. It makes sense for companies transporting goods never to leave the customs union by go on to mainland Europe via Ireland. Longer and slower but less cost and bureaucracy.

At some point the cost of this will be borne by so many local economies. It is a terrible own goal.

Could we ever see a different future government (of any colour) try and negotiate closer links in the future I wonder? I guess only until people actually realise the sheer damage this current administration has done and is yet to do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59028141

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Brexit is affecting Wales now, especially the ports. It makes sense for companies transporting goods never to leave the customs union by go on to mainland Europe via Ireland. Longer and slower but less cost and bureaucracy.

At some point the cost of this will be borne by so many local economies. It is a terrible own goal.

Could we ever see a different future government (of any colour) try and negotiate closer links in the future I wonder? I guess only until people actually realise the sheer damage this current administration has done and is yet to do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59028141

I think its very possible that a future government will try and negotiate closer links, and its possible that they will succeed to a limited extent.

But I don't think there is any chance that they will be able to reverse the damage that is being inflicted on our economy - you mention supply chains being re-routed which is certainly already well underway and I suspect will increase further in the next two or three years. We also know of large numbers of UK firms setiing up distribution hubs in the EU as it is no longer feasible to distribute goods directly from the UK, that also will almost certainly continue to increase.

Even if the links are 'tweaked' a bit, once the changed supply and distribution chains are well established, which they will be, there will be absolutely no benefit to businesses to disturb them again - they will stick with what they have especially as there will be no guarantee whatsoever that the next UK government along won't turn everything on its head again.

• Like 1

No wonder the brexiters have disappeared.It's just a never ending stream of really ****e news.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

No wonder the brexiters have disappeared.It's just a never ending stream of really ****e news.

I will try and help them out. Removing the 5% VAT from gas and electricity bills as per Labour would actually be a Brexit positive (there is an EU minimum VAT). Problem is not very green and Sunak needs every penny he can find.

Edited by Yellow Fever

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I will try and help them out. Removing the 5% VAT from gas and electricity bills as per Labour would actually be a Brexit positive (there is an EU minimum VAT). Problem is not very green and Sunak needs every penny he can find.

........yes, and now what about Paul Moy's fish??

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

........yes, and now what about Paul Moy's fish??

Let them eat sh*it! (Not that they have any choice in our brexit waters)

Us and Russia needs strong, stable economic partners. The UK is a major investment and trading partner for Russia. Nothing to do with Brexit !

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Us and Russia needs strong, stable economic partners. The UK is a major investment and trading partner for Russia. Nothing to do with Brexit !

The UK is a major money laundering centre for Russia.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Even if the links are 'tweaked' a bit, once the changed supply and distribution chains are well established, which they will be, there will be absolutely no benefit to businesses to disturb them again - they will stick with what they have especially as there will be no guarantee whatsoever that the next UK government along won't turn everything on its head again.

Spot on. That's the nub of it. The nature of business decisions is always looking for the best and most efficient set up. Even before Brexit some businesses re-located some operations abroad for cheap labour we mustn't forget. Yet, once these new patterns bed in, they will be difficult to change ahead. Meanwhile, all those complex supply chains are gone for good.

It's amazing the diversity of business that grows up around the mainstay industry. Those Welsh ports will employ hundreds and they are going to experience a rather sad 'multiplier' effect rippling through their micro-economies.

Who was responsible for doing the modelling for these effects? Or do you reckon they didn't anticipate? Or perhaps (worst of all) they modelled but didn't care in the grand scheme of things? 

When the government knew it wanted a hard deal (outside the CU) they MUST have understood the ramifications of supply lines. They had clues even before the deal because businesses were already making changes, forecasting what would happen (I posted a diagram of sea routes being used that bypassed the UK a long while ago).

We often read about the fishing industry because it is 'tangible' somehow. It holds a connection because it is food we eat plus it has received a good deal of media coverage. Ferry haulage is not something in that category. Yet, the effect on livelihoods is catastrophic. It means folk working in the sector  either need to move (to Ireland) or re-train. Somehow you imagine Ireland will be the big winner again. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Wow! You really believe that Russia, a country in constant breach of international law, that has sent its agents to poison and murder people in the UK, that is run by gangsters, is a potential "stable" economic partner. Jesus! No wonder you voted for brexit.

Just now, horsefly said:

Wow! You really believe that Russia, a country in constant breach of international law, that has sent its agents to poison and murder people in the UK, that is run by gangsters, is a potential "stable" economic partner. Jesus! No wonder you voted for brexit.

look it up, I found it with no trouble. 

Just now, SwindonCanary said:

look it up, I found it with no trouble. 

That reply makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. FFS just try for once to say something relevant.

7 minutes ago, horsefly said:

That reply makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. FFS just try for once to say something relevant.

You are barking  up the wrong tree.

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Who was responsible for doing the modelling for these effects? Or do you reckon they didn't anticipate? Or perhaps (worst of all) they modelled but didn't care in the grand scheme of things? 

I'm pretty sure they didn't do any modelling because they knew they wouldn't like the results and of course it would have caused them great difficulty if the results ever became public.

Of course in the end this is yet another case of Johnson's recklessness and incompetence but in this instance he is far from alone - I dare say you remember in the early days of Brexit when the dunce David Davis was still Brexit Minister and he stood up and lied to the HoC that his department had conducted detailed impact assessments on, I think from memory, 64 different market sectors but refused to reveal the results. When a Select Committee eventually forced him to hand over the 'assessments' they turned out to be just a folder full of newspaper clippings - even the Tory MPs were embarrassed by that level of stupidity (and deceit) by one of their ministers.

Then, much more recently, we have had the equally stupid Liz Truss who in true Johnsonian mode negotiated a series of ‘really great’ deals, all of which, now they are being examined in detail, turn out to be not great deals at all – well not for the UK anyway but Australia, New Zealand and Japan are all delighted that the UK’s desperation for a deal has enabled them to strike deals that are highly favourable to them and lousy for the UK, especially UK farmers.

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

YOU'VE GOT IT IN FOR ME  ! 

We've all got it in for you because you keep posting lies............and then running away.........only to come back to post more lies.

Try posting something vaguely reasonable, something that, if someone disagrees, you could actually justify/discuss with a few actual sentences of your reasonsing  and opinions, ideally with a few real facts thrown in to support your point of view.

I don't know if you are daft enough to think your one liners are clever, but they really are not. There is a very old saying in IT, 'GIGO' Garbage In, Garbage Out'. I guess something similar applies applies to social media, if you continually post provocative tripe then you really shouldn't expect any friendly or respectful responses.

• Like 4

NO LIES HERE  BREXIT IS GOOD 

• The UK Agriculture Act is replacing the EU's unethical and environmentally destructive CAP with a new system of subsidies for farmers who improve animal welfare and who protect the environment.
  • The UK Immigration Act scraps the EU FoM which led to discriminatory priority for Europeans over Non-Europeans. It replaces this with a meritocratic migration policy which treats all world migrants fairly on a basis of equality for all nationalities.
  • The UK Fisheries Act ends the EU CFP which restricted UK Blue Belt Conservation and stopped the UK from banning ecologically destructive trawling practices the EU uses taxpayers money to subsidise.
  • The UK has banned pulse fishing throughout its EEZ half a year earlier than the EU's patchy and therefore inferior ban.
  • The UK has banned trawling of seabeds in important conservation zones (something not allowed under EU CFP).
  • The UK is regaining 25% of the EU quota in British waters over five years, with 15% this year alone and a right to 100% after five years (although some will inevitably be left to the EU to avoid retaliation).
  • The UK has scrapped VAT on women's sanitary products.