Jump to content
Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Herman said:

I've heard that they are going to power East Anglia using the reactor that is Sir Desmond Swayne's head. 

I'm fitting a dynamo on my bike and have connected it to the national grid.

Every little bit helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Big queues at petrol stations here

Wait until Wednesday, everyone will have full tanks and the forecourts will be empty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, horsefly said:

You couldn't make it up, unless, of course, your name is Grant Shapps (or should that be, Michael Green?):

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/grant-shapps-roasted-for-claiming-brexit-has-helped-resolve-lorry-driver-shortages-instead-of-causing-them/ar-AAOLP2r?ocid=msedgntp

Grant Shapps roasted for claiming Brexit has helped resolve lorry driver shortages instead of causing them

So a brexit positive is that Shapps can now make the roads less safe?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Wait until Wednesday, everyone will have full tanks and the forecourts will be empty.

A lot of BP forecourts are already empty because they closed the petrol stations for fuel 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

A lot of BP forecourts are already empty because they closed the petrol stations for fuel 😛

Follow Horsefly's example and ......."on yer bike"

Far better for the environment and your health

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Big queues at petrol stations here

Yep. The media has stirred up all the knobheads into action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Wait until Wednesday, everyone will have full tanks and the forecourts will be empty.

Certainly plenty of panic buying of petrol going on round here.

Must admit, I allowed myself an extremely smug smile as I glided silently past the huge queues for the Morrisons forecourt to plug in at a free electric charge point at Aldi 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Big queues at petrol stations here

Just took me 1 1/2 hours to get home ( normally 40 minutes ) as queues spilled out onto main roads from 4 petrol stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Yep. The media has stirred up all the knobheads into action. 

Aye, the people that sold the country brexit are going out of their way to make it even worse.

Sod's law that I actually need petrol for the weekend. Might have to find something else to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Aye, the people that sold the country brexit are going out of their way to make it even worse.

Sod's law that I actually need petrol for the weekend. Might have to find something else to do.

Got 1/2 tank, only going to work and back for the next week so obviously as I'm not a **** haven't filled up today, hopefully garage's refilled and people stop being knobs by Wednesday (ish). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh dear! Perhaps you should check the date of the article before you link it (Dec. 2018). The RHA currently assess the UK shortfall as circa 100,000 https://www.rha.uk.net/News/News-Blogs-and-Press-Releases/press-releases/detail/driver-shortage-rha-and-freight-industry-write-to-prime-minister-boris-johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, dear!  Bill the Geek has arrived.

The point of posting the article, whatever the date, was that the situation was likely to deteriorate throughout Europe. Which it has.

Repeat, throughout Europe.

 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet no other country is suffering the multitude of problems we are. I wonder why.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh, dear!  Bill the Geek has arrived.

The point of posting the article, whatever the date, was that the situation was likely to deteriorate throughout Europe. Which it has.

Repeat, throughout Europe.

 

Oh dear, you ballsed up and are squirming desperately, so have to resort to personal abuse as the only way to attempt to save face. How very sad!   No other European country is suffering anything remotely close to the problems the UK is experiencing. Even you should be able to work out why that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Oh dear, you ballsed up and are squirming desperately, so have to resort to personal abuse as the only way to attempt to save face. How very sad!   No other European country is suffering anything remotely close to the problems the UK is experiencing. Even you should be able to work out why that is.

Personal abuse Bill? You would know about that for sure. The forum expert. I just got in first for once.

No balls up. My stance doesn't quite suit your limited agenda, that's all.

Read the article again, Billy Boy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Personal abuse Bill? You would know about that for sure. The forum expert. I just got in first for once.

No balls up. My stance doesn't quite suit your limited agenda, that's all.

Read the article again, Billy Boy.

 

Read it in 2018 when it was published you boring buffoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh. He's getting frantic, once again. Blood pressure pill, Bill?

If you had read the article properly instead of just concentrating on the date of it you would then have  gleaned more insight into the problem to the extent that you could then, perhaps, realise, finally, just why the situation was destined to deteriorate the way it has, and from way back.

Your superficial attention to these matters does tend to get rather tedious, don't you think? 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

There was a Shortage of drivers back in 2016

It would have been nice to have thought that someone had a plan to deal with this back then 

I suspect that stopping drivers from the EU coming over to work probably wasn't the best idea 

Succumbing to the restraints of a pandemic wasn't a particularly good idea either, it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Succumbing to the restraints of a pandemic wasn't a particularly good idea either, it seems.

No pandemic in 2016

Absolutely covid has made things worse, it certainly isn't all Brexit. But we had a low rate of unemployment prior to the vote. It should have been foreseen that our available labour would drop following a leave vote. And plans made to deal with it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brexit is a part in a much broader multi faceted issue here, bit of mischief making by BP thrown in as well I suspect. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we need to import drivers then the work visas should be strictly time limited, say a period of 2 years with no path to residency, the incoming worker should be tied to the industry rather than a single company to allow them to move for better wages and the salary must be at least 25% above the current going rate for drivers. If there truly is a shortage then businesses will pay it. If they’re unwilling to then there isn’t a genuine shortage, it’s simply bosses not wanting to pay their employees what they’re worth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

If we need to import drivers then the work visas should be strictly time limited, say a period of 2 years with no path to residency, the incoming worker should be tied to the industry rather than a single company to allow them to move for better wages and the salary must be at least 25% above the current going rate for drivers. If there truly is a shortage then businesses will pay it. If they’re unwilling to then there isn’t a genuine shortage, it’s simply bosses not wanting to pay their employees what they’re worth

Thought the British workers would be queueing up every day for the jobs, pay increases were never mentioned, just the Europeans are taking our jobs. Do you propose there should be visas for farm workers as well ?

We told the European workers to f*** off out of our country, why do you think they would want to come back, it has just been lie after lie. Why does Boris not tell us about how the Europeans are behind in the vaccine race anymore ? Why does he not tell us how many vaccines we produce compared to the EU and why the f*** did he have to lie in the first place.

We were told there would be 350 million a week for the NHS, we weren’t told there would be a 1.25% NI increase to pay for it and even that is a lie as the 1.25 % is clearly the same amount raised as the booster programme will cost.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Thought the British workers would be queueing up every day for the jobs, pay increases were never mentioned, just the Europeans are taking our jobs. Do you propose there should be visas for farm workers as well ?

We told the European workers to f*** off out of our country, why do you think they would want to come back, it has just been lie after lie. Why does Boris not tell us about how the Europeans are behind in the vaccine race anymore ? Why does he not tell us how many vaccines we produce compared to the EU and why the f*** did he have to lie in the first place.

We were told there would be 350 million a week for the NHS, we weren’t told there would be a 1.25% NI increase to pay for it and even that is a lie as the 1.25 % is clearly the same amount raised as the booster programme will cost.

I don’t believe we ever did tell the workers to **** off as you so eloquently put it, in fact we gave all those that were here the right to remain. What we did do was ensure any future migrants that wanted to enter we’re treated the same as those from any other country.

Also one of the major reasons people wanted immigration controlled was because they believed all those extra people competing for jobs were causing wages to stagnate, therefore it seems reasonable they expect better wages now that the increased competition for their labour isn’t there anymore. However that’s a seperate argument that’s been raked over numerous times on this thread, and isn’t one I’m particularly interested in going through again.

What is your response to my points regarding the driver shortage? In an ideal world I’d rather we trained the domestic workforce to fill the roles, however in the short term I’m happy to use immigration to plug the gaps. However we shouldn’t go back to the free for all we had before. The work visas should only be a temporary measure, and industry should pay for the privilege by paying the new arrivals above the going rate to avoid undercutting the local workforce.

Ultimately if they’re struggling for workers then they’re not paying enough to attract people, so they’re going to have to offer better wages and working conditions, simple as that. They’ve had it easy for a long time, now they’re going to have to adapt or their business will fail and their market share will be taken by somebody else 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...