Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The country is run by complete ******.* To fix a problem that they caused they are going to make bigger problems further on and, if this is to be believed, will actually be very dangerous.

https://news.sky.com/story/hgv-driving-tests-to-be-relaxed-to-help-lorry-driver-shortages-ahead-of-christmas-12404161

"• Tests will be made shorter, with the reversing exercise element removed and the uncoupling and recoupling exercise for trailer tests removed - and they will not have to be tested separately by a third party." WTF does this even mean? Have they ever watched an artic being reversed?

* The first statement won't be shocking to many.

I have a national cycling proficiency badge from the 1960s which I understand now entitles me to drive an HGV and my application for a licence is in the post.

download.jpeg

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

I have a national cycling proficiency badge from the 1960s which I understand now entitles me to drive an HGV and my application for a licence is in the post.

download.jpeg

I didn't think that Brexit was supposed to lower standards.

I guess that was yet another Johnson / Brexit lie.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

download.jpeg

Sorry! You're over qualified.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Posted without comment too.😉

Yougov now have Labour ahead by 2 points.

In fact all polls seem similar but The Express have found one that actually puts the conservatives in front, maybe the one that sees Johnson sacked.

I now have an ebike so could help on the shorter routes without endangering the climate. Sliced salami and Ryvita would be a beginning. Pringles would require panniers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Well b back said:

But we were told everything was in place last year?

I want to see all the correct checks taking place at the border, without cost or delay to  British people and businesses. Take back control 

Not much to ask for 

Is it?

• Like 1

It's not as if they've literally had years to plan for this. 

Anyway, Ol' Frosty is shaking his fist at the EU again. 

Looks like the shortage will lead to more female lorry drivers being trained, a great opportunity with increased pay levels.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Hey hey, a veritable bonfire of pesky EU regulations ... except most are UK regulations. Still it's a bonfire! 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1018386/Brexit_opportunities-_regulatory_reforms.pdf

For quite some time I thought it must be a spoof to highlight the stupidity of sacrificing trade and the UK economy, but it's actually a genuine document.  Seems the government is hell-bent on making the UK a less safe place to be, particularly when it comes to HGVs and farming practices. 

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Looks like the shortage will lead to more female lorry drivers being trained, a great opportunity with increased pay levels.

I think that's good news 

However, if we had only thought to train up more drivers before the other ones left.....

46 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I think that's good news 

However, if we had only thought to train up more drivers before the other ones left.....

Shortage of drivers across Europe I believe.

Great opportunity to look at distribution and transport of goods across the UK and review in light of potential increased  costs and differential relative to more environmentally friendly modes and policies.

Does the above word salad mean we'll fix it by banning transportation across county lines? 

17 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Great opportunity to look at distribution and transport of goods across the UK and review in light of potential increased  costs and differential relative to more environmentally friendly modes and policies.

Huh?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Huh?

Less lorries more rail maybe….. in a simplistic model

Edited by Van wink

24 minutes ago, Van wink said:

A review that needs to be done before we contemplate making such drastic changes to the way we operate our businesses 

8 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

A review that needs to be done before we contemplate making such drastic changes to the way we operate our businesses 

Yeh quite agree, but we have an opportunity now.

34 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Any teachers out there?

Is imperial taught in schools?

Or are the kids gonna get ripped off?

They're going to bring back hashish so kids can learn what an eighth is.

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

They're going to bring back hashish so kids can learn what an eighth is.

I would like to make it clear that I don’t understand that joke...🤩

• Haha 1