Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

A lot of French TV is locally produced. Don't know much about other countries. Also they have been trying to prioritise French over English for a good decade.

With little effect.

Until the Americans stop speaking English then that language is going to dominate the entertainment industry in most of the world.

Unless the rest of us are all forced to learn Mandarin.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

They still do this. Their non stop music channels for example. You can listen and predict what language will be next. The trouble is really that English artists over the years have written loads of the best tunes. Music is universal, archetypal so it gets through!

Exactly, people are going to watch and listen to whatever they want and they are spolit for choice.

Essentially all TV viewing will be streaming* by the time we reach the 2030s, at which point quotas are going to look damn silly unless you plan on forcing viewers to watch shows.

Edited by ricardo

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Exactly, people are going to watch and listen to whatever they want and they are spolit for choice.

Essentially all TV viewing will be streaming* by the time we reach the 2030s, at which point quotas are going to look damn silly unless you plan on forcing viewers to watch shows.

Quite often I will watch CNN news just to get a feel for something other than the UK style format.

However, I don't watch French, German, Spanish TV because

(a) its shoite

(b) I don't speak the languages

(c) I don't need to because I have several hundred English speaking channels and I doubt I watch more than a dozen of them.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Anyone remember when the French tried the same with music?

The French government tried demanding that x% of music played on the radio had to be French. at least one French station retaliated by playing one French song repeatedly, to make the quota....😀

Probably Johnny bloody Haliday😉

They said that Johnny Hallyday brought rock and roll back to France. 

I don't remember them having it in the first place.

If they're classing GDPs as trade deals then we just threw away a $19trillion dollar trade deal away. Well done brexiters.

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Hahahahahahahaha! I love these spoof videos you post. 9 trillion trade deal, hahahahahahaha! How do they manange to be so funny????? comedy genius!!!!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So we have withdrawn from a trade organisation on our "doorstep", with which we do circa 50% of our trade, in order to join another much inferior trade organisation where the members are at least 4000 miles distant. Is it me or is it a touch contradictory to argue that the main reason for withdrawing from the EU (to regain the UK's sovereignty) no longer applies when Truss is desperate to join a trade organisation, the rules over which we have no say ?

Nigel certainly thinks so:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1392404/nigel-farage-news-eu-brexit-tpp-cptpp-donald-trump-joe-biden-spt

Edited by horsefly

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The value of the Australia deal was 1p per week each over ten years for us in the UK. Is there any reason why this should any more beneficial, or is it just more aimless guff targeted to distract the gullible?

42 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The value of the Australia deal was 1p per week each over ten years for us in the UK. Is there any reason why this should any more beneficial, or is it just more aimless guff targeted to distract the gullible?

It's a deal the EU have been trying to do for a very long time and still can't 

13 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's a deal the EU have been trying to do for a very long time and still can't 

The EU was invited to join in Jan 2021. That puts them 5 months ahead of the UK.

Posted (edited)

They still have not done it, can't they get all the country's to agree 😉 

Edited by SwindonCanary

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

You talk some s***

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Many of the member countries in the CPTPP already have trade agreements with the EU so the answer is 'Yes'.

14 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

They all agree on how to use an apostrophe correctly.

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

So those who just hated the Europeans told us the jobs in Britain must be for the Brits. Please read all of this article to see how Brexit is effecting recruitment after the Europeans decided to take your advice and f*** off back to Europe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57555608

there's over 100,000 EU people in this country, plus they all want to come over here to work = WE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT !

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

there's over 100,000 EU people in this country, plus they all want to come over here to work = WE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT !

As I said you talk some s***. 

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

As I said you talk some s***. 

I can tell the bit that's s****  is actually Sense  

16 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The point of the link is that they no longer want to come here to work and it causing businesses problems, some restaurants have had to stop serving.

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The point of the link is that they no longer want to come here to work and it causing businesses problems, some restaurants have had to stop serving.

Pay a decent wage and you can get the unemployed to do it.  

22 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Another deluded Dido supporter who wants to get rid of immigrant doctors and nurses in the NHS. She says that we can rid ourselves of immigrant staff in the NHS in two years, another wrecking ball thrown into the air. These 10%/130.000 staff in the NHS she wants rid off have worked their collective guts off to serve this country through a pandemic and before and she is nothing but an errant incompetent failure/money grabber who would like to help to privatise the rest of the NHS to the creeps who are slowly buying up GP surgeries on the sly and other US health care companies.

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

But we weren’t told that, we were told Europeans were taking British jobs so the country voted to kick them out. Please could you show a link from anywhere that shows them coming back, especially as they were told in no uncertain terms to f*** off back to their own countries.

Pay a decent wage is the obvious answer but if you put up wages you put up prices, you get inflation, said workers are back to square one. In basic terms you have confirmed the lie that ‘ British kids would be queueing up for these jobs ‘ it just wasn’t true, simply hatred towards people that weren’t British or in some posters eyes British citizens that have non sounding British names.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

Another deluded Dido supporter who wants to get rid of immigrant doctors and nurses in the NHS. She says that we can rid ourselves of immigrant staff in the NHS in two years, another wrecking ball thrown into the air. These 10%/130.000 staff in the NHS she wants rid off have worked their collective guts off to serve this country through a pandemic and before and she is nothing but an errant incompetent failure/money grabber who would like to help to privatise the rest of the NHS to the creeps who are slowly buying up GP surgeries on the sly and other US health care companies.

Brilliant, since Brexit, there’s been a massive exit of NHS staff back into the EU, since 2019 the UK have recruited NHS staff from the Philippines, India and other countries outside the EU to fill the massive holes left behind!

Only 30% of nearly 270,000 immigrants came from EU last year the rest were from Middle East, Africa and non EU, out of them only 1% have been refused entry! 

The racist bigots on here, have stopped those who actually contributed to our country in terms of growth and finances with free movement but haven’t stopped the influx of immigrants……I can tell you not many Europeans actually want to come to the UK anymore and most in Germany, France and Central Europe really don’t want the Brits there either! Really was a win for Brexit wasn’t it! 

One last thing to mention, since 2017, just Poland alone had an increase in nearly 40% of agricultural and produce to the EU, they have been slowly taking up the exports from the UK. That’s just Poland, Estonian, Slovakia and other nations are also gaining massive increases thanks to the UK tariff produce being too expensive.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Again, they have and they still can't get anyone.