Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

54 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Issues yes but not large enough to cause this magnitude of a swing.

Hope you're right 👍

Personally, I can't see a GE swing unless a centre-left alliance gets some traction to stop the vote splitting. Especially one that backs proportional representation, but I that's probably wishful thinking on my behalf!

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Agree very much. The HS3 trans northern line should be the first priority. (a) it will 'level up' things far more than anything else (linking Liverpool and the Atlantic) with the North Sea at Hull and will speed up the movement of goods - support exports and imports  too across the country. This was argued very strongly bu the original Northern Way discussions a decade ago but the turned into the Northern Powerhouse. (b) such a move would really grow the economies of deprived towns and cities right across the north. The escalating costs and losses of habitat too, not to mention the supposed payback and value makes HS2 something that should be shelved. HS2 wasn't a bad idea as such, but as you've stated there are many other infrastructure projects that would be more beneficial.

Yes - agreed - need to be less London centric.

My own pet scheme is to dual the A17 from Lynn to Newark or indeed a motorway across the wash Hull/Lincoln to Norwich/Yarmouth. Link the country up! The Dutch managed it.

All those classic Brexity 'left behinds' in Boston, Sleaford etc. would really benefit. 

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

Hope you're right 👍

Personally, I can't see a GE swing unless a centre-left alliance gets some traction to stop the vote splitting. Especially one that backs proportional representation, but I that's probably wishful thinking on my behalf!

I would agree a truce between LD and a centrist Labour would remove Johnson at a stroke!

18 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I would agree a truce between LD and a centrist Labour would remove Johnson at a stroke!

Probably doesn't need a truce, demographic changes, Labour voters forgiving the Lib Dems for enabling the coalition, the absence of a Corbyn bogie man, a desire for change from these truth twisting bastards and the voters tactically voting will do the rest.

If truth be known socially liberal, economically conservative Tories get very little from the hollowed out socially conservative, economically profligate Conservative Party now controlled Brexit Party entryists. Farage's great Parliamentary election record of failure demonstrates where that can lead.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I can when it's an important one 

I guess it’s only an ‘ important one ‘ when whoever you support wins and unimportant if you lose. A bit like lying, unimportant if it doesn’t effect you and your family but very important if it does.

5 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

😲

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supermarkets/food-shortages-now-inevitable-due-to-labour-crisis-industry-warns/657227.article

Food shortages now ‘inevitable’ due to labour crisis, industry warns

Chronic driver shortages have been compounded by staff shortfalls across low-paid sectors including harvesting, manufacturing and packaging

Maybe Nige can go and help to subsidise his pension, that U.K. tax payers will be contributing to.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

swindon's Mantra: Its the EUs intransigence that is causing this. 

Indeed, Swindon’s figures from YouTube or the official figures from the ONS, who to believe

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Well b back said:

I guess it’s only an ‘ important one ‘ when whoever you support wins and unimportant if you lose. A bit like lying, unimportant if it doesn’t effect you and your family but very important if it does.

not at all,  an  important one is when they win to rule the country 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I thought we'd "taken back control"??

Only when we are allowed. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Zeeshan Akhlaq, 22, who works at Chesham Mobiles, said: 'I voted for the Lib Dems so I'm happy. Firstly, I don't trust the Tories but secondly they [Liberal Democrats] have promised a lot to the younger generation. But also one of the things that swayed me was they actually turned up to the Palestine-Israel demonstration. It made me think that they cared.'

Music shop owner Thanos Kalimeris said: 'I think the fact the Lib Dems got in is great. The Tories and Boris Johnson don't care about the ordinary people here and in Amersham.

Aishah Sheikh, 29, manager of Ask hairdressers, said: 'That Boris Johnson decided to turn up last week, it was obvious they knew this was a possibility. They were worried.

'The irony is I don't think it helped the Tories because he turned up without a face mask and was shaking people's hands. People didn't like that.'

Labour member Peter Vandersli said: 'I voted Lib Dem because I thought they had a chance of winning. Brexit was the main reason behind my vote. Rather than Brexit itself, I think the problem is the deal Boris [Johnson] has negotiated.

• Like 1

they can protest about anything, but when it comes to who runs the country they will go back to the Tory's

PS. What happened to Labour ?   less than 2% of the vote 

Edited by SwindonCanary

Labour voters held their noses and voted LibDem. It's called tactical voting. That's what you Blukip voters need to start worrying about.

• Like 2

WOW! Even the most patriotic of all symbols, the poppy appeal, has been screwed over by the shambolic brexit deal:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/royal-british-legion-to-stop-selling-poppies-in-eu-due-to-brexit/ar-AALcfMh?ocid=msedgntp

The charity, which provides support to members and veterans of the British Armed Forces, is said to have sent an email to supporters stating it will “need to cease sales to customers in countries in the EU” for the foreseeable future until legislation surrounding Brexit is reviewed.

The newspaper reported that it could not justify the expense, including customs charges, to send poppies overseas following Britain’s departure from the EU’s customs union on 1 January.

Edited by horsefly

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

they can protest about anything, but when it comes to who runs the country they will go back to the Tory's

For once I agree in part but the protest is not about ‘ the Tories ‘ it’s about Johnson and his lying clan. As I have said many times after voting Tory all my life, I will not do it again until Johnson is gone. In the local elections I voted green, but I would consider voting in a way Amersham voted in the future to get rid of Johnson, ie I would more than consider voting tactically for somebody I didn’t even support.

As we come out of the smokescreen of COVID more people are beginning to realise what Brexit is doing and getting very worried. The individual things people voted leave for the NHS, fisherman, farmers, car industry, finance, jobs for Brits are beginning to have questions asked, I was thick enough to believe the bit about the NHS and like many one by one realise we were lied to. As you have pointed out until it effects you, you don’t care, but when it does you do ie fishermen losing their livelihoods, the NI protocol. It is effecting more and more people daily. An election in 3 years time may even see areas vote on a leave / remain basis. 
I also think there is far more to come from Cummings yet. He clearly kept every text, email, message, meeting notes on everything to do with COVID, I will be shocked if he didn’t keep them regards the lead upto Brexit, it for him is not the right time to release them yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

Labour voters held their noses and voted LibDem. It's called tactical voting. That's what you Blukip voters need to start worrying about.

Indeed.

Although I voted green with no chance in the local elections, I would vote tactically in a general election for whoever could beat Johnson ( that may change once he is gone ).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

PS. What happened to Labour ?   less than 2% of the vote 

Why concern yourself with Labour/ We are in enormous trouble. But that is our problem. When we vote LibDem in crucial areas, your Blue wall will be blown away. Everyone except many Tories despise this bunch of chancers and want rid.

When Boris turns his attention back to the Home Counties he will lose the North and Midlands again. He will be known as Spinner Johnson.

15 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Indeed.

Although I voted green with no chance in the local elections, I would vote tactically in a general election for whoever could beat Johnson ( that may change once he is gone ).

Trying to get true blue voters to lend Labour their vote, if Labour is the only other option, is going to be the tricky bit. It will help not having Corbyn in charge but could Starmer persuade them?