Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

On 28/05/2021 at 18:27, horsefly said:

Jesus! You really do struggle to keep up don't you! It was you that said, "nobody has the right to impose their own legislation dynamically on third countries."  Kirku simply pointed out the rather obvious point that the EU has not imposed anything on the Swiss, but made proposals that the Swiss are entirely within their rights to turn down. The stupidity of your claim about the EU "imposing" its rules on a third country is the point Kirku is making. 

Looks like I called it right..

"The readership of The Spectator seems to be largely made up of simpletons with bewildering delusions of grandeur."

• Haha 2

The only positive of brexit is that the Swiss and the EU can't agree on something?? 🤣

The Swiss spent 7 years negotiating a £227 bn trade deal that collapsed in significant part because of the EU's response to brexit, in particular its determination to protect the single market from third country cherry picking. I guess the Swiss aren't as happy with the UK as Swindo is with the Swiss.

On a related note we can now expect our financial services industry to be well and truly fu*cked over in the coming negotiations. Even the Express seems to admit we're in for a hell of a beating:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/eu-tactics-stripped-bare-as-bloc-threatened-and-made-people-fear-their-english-identity/ar-AAKvgVy?ocid=msedgntp

People in England believed their national identity was at threat from the EU, Express.co.uk was told. It comes as Brussels this week looked set to hurt the UK further after the European Central Bank (ECB) announced it was ramping up efforts to push management and capital out of the City of London and Canary Wharf and into the EU. The central banking authority plans to clamp-down on banks' key staff, capital and book trades used by EU-based clients not based outside the bloc.

The ECB believes too many banks rely on their London units while serving clients across the EU, as a result evading regulatory scrutiny and oversight, according to Bloomberg.

If successful, the EU's newest move could seriously harm the capital's vital banking sector that was previously thought to be safe.

Nice one brexiteers!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

successful, the EU's newest move could seriously harm the capital's vital banking sector that was previously thought to be safe.

Nice one brexiteers!

Yes indeed, although why on earth it 'was previously thought to be safe' I've no idea.

I think that is just another case of the Express's (and Brexiteers' in general) delusional stupidity - another facet of 'they need us more than we need them' which of course is turning out to be one of the biggest lies in a very crowded field of Brexiteer whoppers 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Even allowing for your stupidity I'm a bit baffled as to why you are so delighted by this.

The Swiss and the EU have been trying negotiate this deal for seven years and haven't been able to find one that works for both sides. That may be a bit surprising but if that is the situation then it makes perfect sense to call it a day - although I'm not at all convinced this is actually the end of the road but we shall see - either way a deal has to work for both sides.

At least that is the normal situation but let's contrast that with our idiot of a Prime Minister who even though we already had a deal, wanted to be the one to get the 'credit' for negotiating the UK deal and despite promising 'no deal' unless he got what he wanted he was actually so desperate for a deal at any price that he ending up signing a truly appalling deal (substantially worse than the one we already had) then told a string of lies about it (such as no border in the Irish sea).

Now only a few months in those lies have already unravelled - we've had riots on the streets of NI, many UK companies giving up exporting or moving to the EU because its too difficult from the UK, ardent Brexiteers such as fishermen and farmers realising that they've been totally screwed, and many Tory MPs (who stupidly voted for the deal without even reading it) saying it should be renegotiated - well good luck with that one 😂

If Johnson had either brains or b@lls then he would have done what the Swiss did, or he would have changed TM's deal, which was pretty cr@p, for the better (which would have meant taking on the the RWNJs in his own party). But he did neither and has saddled us with a truly awful deal which is going to break up the UK and damage England & Wales for many years to come.

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

The Swiss and the EU have been trying negotiate this deal for seven years and haven't been able to find one that works for both sides. That may be a bit surprising but if that is the situation then it makes perfect sense to call it a day - although I'm not at all convinced this is actually the end of the road but we shall see - either way a deal has to work for both sides.

no stupidity, it's just the EU once again trying to put their terms on the deal !

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

no stupidity, it's just the EU once again trying to put their terms on the deal !

Total stupidity, in any deal both sides will try and get the terms they want - that is perfectly normal and anything else would be ridiculous.

That is what the UK attempted, that is what the Swiss attempted, that is what the EU attempted - why on earth would anyone or any country negotiate a deal without trying to get what they want.

As I said, and self-evidently, a deal must work for both sides otherwise it is extremely unlikely to happen. As far as the EU and Swiss are concerned it hasn't happened (so far) because they haven't found a deal that works for both of them.

The UK is a bit of an exception to this rule - it has accepted a deal that doesn't work for us because we have an egotistical idiot for a Prime Minister who was so desperate to cut a deal at any price that he signed an absolute stinker because based on his terms it was the only deal possible - a deal so bad that 'no British PM could possibly agree to it' - but he signed it anyway.

The only even vaguely comparable deals I can think of are ones where a country has been totally defeated in war and it's leader has no other option but Johnson didn't have that justification - he just wanted a deal because he thought (rightly) that it would win him an election and that permanently damaging the UK was a price worth paying to further his own career - and idiots like you fell for it  🙄

• Like 2

Swiss scupper draft EU treaty in break with biggest trade partner | Reuters

Swiss officials said they would ask parliament to unblock 1.3 billion Swiss francs ($1.45 billion) in "cohesion payments" to EU members that were frozen in a 2019 row over mutual recognition of stock market rules.

Parmelin said it was pointless to try to estimate the potential economic costs of the failed treaty deal.

Stupid or what ?

Edited by SwindonCanary

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

At least if you are right they are powerful enough to put their terms on ( not that you are ), we have to bow to Australia, India ect even keeping our borders open at great risk so we would not offend.

7 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Stupid or what ?

This bares repeating.

What you voted for.

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

Gamekeepers turn poachers. 😀

This protest against the Football Association is truly disturbing, these ANTIFA guys will stop at nothing.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Stupid or what ?

Definitely, we know you are and have done for a long time, what we don't understand is why you feel the need to continually remind us?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Definitely, we know you are and have done for a long time, what we don't understand is why you feel the need to continually remind us?

Wrong to recognize what I was writing  , you don't understand,as with the EU 

8 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Wrong to recognize what I was writing  , you don't understand,as with the EU 

As I just said, the only bit we don't understand about your posts is why you insist on continually highlightling your own stupidity - enough already 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Arlene Foster told the PM that if he signed the NI part of the deal, what has happened in NI would happen. He signed the deal, so does that not make him stupid ? Who the f*** would sign a deal that effected your citizens to such an extent. His way out is to now blame the EU as he knows that will throw up some more hatred towards the EU and everybody will blame the EU for his stupidity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I think you'll find this is simply the new leader Poots in posturing mode. Easy to blame what went before you. The 'deal' was negotiated over years and years and Johnson signed off a very inadequate agreement. It was signed by both parties Swindon. In other words, both sides actually agreed to this. Poots will know that but he is trying to act the strong leader. But he does know it's very bad. As did lots of posters on this very thread for months and months 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Arlene Foster told the PM that if he signed the NI part of the deal, what has happened in NI would happen. He signed the deal, so does that not make him stupid ? Who the f*** would sign a deal that effected your citizens to such an extent. His way out is to now blame the EU as he knows that will throw up some more hatred towards the EU and everybody will blame the EU for his stupidity.

That is exactly right other than I'm going to quibble with your final phrase - you are also right that stupid Brexiteers will blame the EU for Johnson's stupidity and incompetence because that is their default, and in most cases, only setting.

But I think the majority are aware that the responsibility is entirely Johnson's - even Lord Frost who led the UK negotiating team now says its a lousy deal..................which I guess tells its own story  🙄

Anyway it is now firmly embedded in international law and although Johnson has already broken international law twice, neither time ended well for him so I would be surprised if even an idiot like him will have a third go.

So he will just have to suck it up and in reality the DUP are largely a spent force anyway - next year's elections for the NI Assembly look as though they will be a very humbling experience for them - even though humility and the DUP are not normally found in the same sentence 😀

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

please understand, I know it's difficult 

That's clearly the phrase you repeat to yourself endlessly every time you post, with no palpable effect.

BREXIT SHITE.jpg

Edited by horsefly

29 minutes ago, Herman said:

And this is the result of swallowing Johnson's sh*ite/ovenready deal:

EU demands for uniformity and integration come from protectionist – command control – tendencies. But putting a rig fence around the EU Titanic, will not stop it from sinking. It is not surprising that the Eurozone has been in relative decline for so long.
The Swiss economy is about a 20th of the size of the EU’s. Despite this large discrepancy the Swiss have not succumbed to EU bullying. Neither should the UK.

10 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:
EU demands for uniformity and integration come from protectionist – command control – tendencies. But putting a rig fence around the EU Titanic, will not stop it from sinking. It is not surprising that the Eurozone has been in relative decline for so long.
The Swiss economy is about a 20th of the size of the EU’s. Despite this large discrepancy the Swiss have not succumbed to EU bullying. Neither should the UK.

OH dear! I'm sure all the tradesmen and businesses of Switzerland are as "delighted" with the results of their failed negotiations, just as much as the fishermen, farmers, and SME owners, are "delighted" with the disaster brexit deal done by Johnson and Frost.

See the source image

Edited by horsefly