Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

45 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Read the text..... it was purely a vote to 'open negotiations with the EU'.......   meaning that we could not scrap the tax in 2015 without EU approval.  IE:       WE COULD NOT SCRAP THE TAMPON TAX WITHOUT EU APPROVAL    !!!!!!

Brexit now means that we can do whatever we like with UK taxes !!!!!

Just highlighting the rank hypocrisy and lies from the brexiters. It never seems to end even after you've got what you wanted.

43 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Germany did it last year.

As we well know, Germany and France more or less do what they like as they run the EU,  while other countries have to toe the line.

That is why we voted out,

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Just highlighting the rank hypocrisy and lies from the brexiters. It never seems to end even after you've got what you wanted.

If we had still been in the European union would remain voting people even be here posting? Anything at all? Of course not. Brexit voters could call out EU inconsistencies forever and I couldn't be at all bothered to support the EU or battle the points made. I wonder whether the continual posts in support of Brexit tells you something else.

Edited by sonyc

10 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

To all you remouners out there, you may have been wondering why I didn't post for a while after we reached a deal with the EU. 

I  was just sitting back watching what was posted and looking back on what was posted before, some of you should try it,  most of it was untrue and way off the mark, and you've been saying we tell lies ! I've noticed you've all been saying how bad the deal is, it might not be perfect but it sound like the fundamentals are there, Boris has achieved a deal which is nothing short of sensational, legally out of the EU but with access to it. Every trade deal we do outside the EU will be a nail in it's coffin. Just like any other free trade agreement, this deal is made up of a number of reciprocal agreements, overseen independently, as a piece of international, rather than European, law. Provisions such as non-regression clauses exist in such agreements across the world. It would be irregular for such a deal where each party did not agree to act in good faith in this way. Far from leaving us in a state of vassalage, this agreement is a great opportunity for regulatory competition, from which Britons and Europeans will benefit. It's not set in stone, It can be changed anytime by both sides. Time some of you took this on board. 

The text highlighted would appear to be two mutually exclusive opinions

This isn´t a great surprise, because what you have done is lift a paragraph from Jacob Rees-Mogg (Just like any other.........Britons and Europeans will benefit) without giving any indication that they are not your words, and surrounded it with words, possibly your own, possibly stolen from elsewhere

Therefore the two statements are almost certainly written by different authors. (I have googled the first statement and cannot find a link to JRM, please provide a link if I´m wrong)

why do you do this? why do you feel the need to copy and paste the text of others and try to pass it off as your own? When I see phrases like "state of vassalage" and "non-regression clauses", I know damn well you didn´t write it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

So according to Moy our Tory politicians voted against repeal of a tax that they couldn't repeal anyway because of the EU wouldn't allow it. Would he like to explain why this bill was allowed to be put forward in the first place then?

10 minutes ago, horsefly said:

So according to Moy our Tory politicians voted against repeal of a tax that they couldn't repeal anyway because of the EU wouldn't allow it. Would he like to explain why this bill was allowed to be put forward in the first place then?

Obviously to test the water. 

25 minutes ago, sonyc said:

If we had still been in the European union would remain voting people even be here posting? Anything at all? Of course not. Brexit voters could call out EU inconsistencies forever and I couldn't be at all bothered to support the EU or battle the points made. I wonder whether the continual posts in support of Brexit tells you something else.

The simple fact, and this goes right back to the beginning of this farrago, is that I and millions of others don't like being lied to. It's not even slightly hidden but blatant easily checkable lies. I wasn't remotely pro-EU at the beginning, it was just something going on in the background, but in the first massive brexit thread the dishonesty started within the first ten pages (£350 million, Turkish migration etc.) and this unnerved me about the whole Brexit movement.

4 odd years later the same is going on. The fact they still have to lie about something they cheered for says a lot.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Obviously to test the water. 

So they deliberately wasted parliamentary time debating a bill that according to you couldn't be passed because of EU regulations to test the water for the repeal of a tax that still couldn't be passed according to you because of EU regulations (note that the bill preceded the vote on Brexit). You clearly have no understanding of parliamentary procedures if you truly believe this could possibly have  happened. 

Sometimes it's a lot less embarrassing just to admit you got something wrong than persist in ridiculous contortions like this. The facts have been pointed out to you very clearly that other EU countries have repealed the tax, why persist with this nonsense that makes you look so foolish?

24 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

How I Wrote Elastic Man

I get my information from reliable sources It's a shame you don't do the same every thing I mentioned that Boris wanted a free trade deal I was shot down with comments like 'it will never happen' 

It´s a matter of opinion whether your sources are reliable. I have no problem with people who have different opinions to me

At least quote your sources properly

I too wanted a deal, if you remember. As I´ve said before, I will wait a few months before I start to make judgement on it

1 minute ago, Herman said:

The simple fact, and this goes right back to the beginning of this farrago, is that I and millions of others don't like being lied to. It's not even slightly hidden but blatant easily checkable lies. I wasn't remotely pro-EU at the beginning, it was just something going on in the background, but in the first massive brexit thread the dishonesty started within the first ten pages (£350 million, Turkish migration etc.) and this unnerved me about the whole Brexit movement.

4 odd years later the same is going on. The fact they still have to lie about something they cheered for says a lot.

Brexit has played deep into the national psyche. I'm really interested in this aspect. Why are untruths spoken? (and let me say from either side). What is the purpose? People looking for certainty and something mythical to cling to? I must read more widely. Decent journalism is around if you look with views direct from voters. But, I've yet to look at deeper studies.

The amount of anger, sparring and sheer level of insult about. It is both fascinating and disconcerting at the same time. There have always been arguments between Conservatives and Labour but Brexit seems to have taken things to a heightened level.

Any decline of the EU is not in the UK's best interests.

The fact that it has seemingly been in decline-management before, and particularly since, the financial crash is  emphasised   by  everything from need to bail out the PIGS to the financial disputes that arose when dealing with the economic repercussions of the pandemic.

The opt-out of the second largest contributor and second largest economy** will hurt. Macron's taxpayers will feel the pinch.

Dealing with all this against a backdrop of a declining share of world trade exacerbates the difficulty of the task ahead when it is eventually able to embark upon the road to recovery.

Tardiness with the distribution of the vaccine is but one obstacle, and may be a minor example in the grand scheme of things, that can inhibit the healing process. The bigger picture presents a lust for Eurocracy, that inevitably results from more government, and ironically and not inevitably, a growing parochial and protectionist tendency. 

They remain our neighbours, a significant trading partner and it is therefore no more in our interests to gloat at their decline than it was to put a nail in the coffin of the French and Belgian fishermen.

**Apparently the UK was the biggest exporter within the EU to the outside world. The source eludes my memory so I am unable to confirm this.  Either way, the newly formed EU economy will therefore not only have to cope without the flat contribution of the UK but also with the significant shortfall of our CCT contributions (and VAT.)

We may not still bash metal but we remain one of the world's largest exporters, invisible or otherwise.

I apologise for sidetracking the important issue of the Tampon Tax and for not including irrelevant cut and paste quotes in my posting, but I have never needed to buy such a product and therefore have no knowledge of it's cost or the effect of VAT upon it, as significant as this might be.

Edited by BroadstairsR

9 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

It´s a matter of opinion whether your sources are reliable. I have no problem with people who have different opinions to me

At least quote your sources properly

I too wanted a deal, if you remember. As I´ve said before, I will wait a few months before I start to make judgement on it

there's nothing more reliable than the government, they make the decisions  !

14 minutes ago, horsefly said:

So they deliberately wasted parliamentary time debating a bill that according to you couldn't be passed because of EU regulations to test the water for the repeal of a tax that still couldn't be passed according to you because of EU regulations (note that the bill preceded the vote on Brexit). You clearly have no understanding of parliamentary procedures if you truly believe this could possibly have  happened. 

Sometimes it's a lot less embarrassing just to admit you got something wrong than persist in ridiculous contortions like this. The facts have been pointed out to you very clearly that other EU countries have repealed the tax, why persist with this nonsense that makes you look so foolish?

It was just prior to the referendum, so the publicity evolving from this would have added to euroscepticism, as it emphasized the sexist issue and also the crazy tax issue, and of course the overarching intransigence of the EU.  No doubt in my mind it was a purely political move to enhance the vote to Leave.

19 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

there's nothing more unreliable than this government, they make bad decisions  !

Fixed that for you Swindo

1 hour ago, paul moy said:

As we well know, Germany and France more or less do what they like as they run the EU,  while other countries have to toe the line.

That is why we voted out,

I thought we were the Great nation. We keep hearing how we beat Germany in two world wars but we can't beat them at administration.

Don't ever use that propaganda again.

We left because we are a bunch of whingers and whiners and didn't have the skill, nous or bottle to persuade other nations to see it our pathetic way.

14 hours ago, Herman said:

Comical Ali returns. For DexEU |  NOTHING TO DO WITH BREXIT | image tagged in comical ali,brexit | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Just a little bit of helpful advice to Brandon when he travels from Britain to Northern Ireland so that he doesn't have any issues at the "NON-border": Don't carry more than £9,100 in cash (better check those brown envelopes) or cheques or banker’s drafts  unless you have "declared the fact in advance, explaining where the money came from, to whom it belongs and how it will be used". Also, don't take any meat, milk or cheese products with you (your own government has helpfully provided you with a list of examples such as, “cheeses with added herbs, sausages with garlic [and] yogurts with added fruit”) unless you have an export health certificate. Oh! and if you're thinking of taking a pet with you remember that "the animal – whether a cat, dog or ferret – must be microchipped and have a valid rabies vaccination. At least three weeks must elapse between the rabies jab and travelling, and that, for each journey, the pet must have an EU animal health certificate (AHC) confirming the microchipping and the vaccination, issued within 10 days of entry to Northern Ireland. Also, for dogs, tapeworm treatment must be administered between one and five days before entering Northern Ireland.  (Vets are expected to charge around £100 for the certificate. A new one is required for each journey). 

Hope that helps Brandon, now what was it you said about there being "no Irish sea border"?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/travel/irish-sea-border-what-has-changed-between-great-britain-and-northern-ireland/ar-BB1ckeoD?ocid=msedgntp

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I thought we were the Great nation. We keep hearing how we beat Germany in two world wars but we can't beat them at administration.

Don't ever use that propaganda again.

We left because we are a bunch of whingers and whiners* and didn't have the skill, nous or bottle to persuade other nations to see it our pathetic way.

* that have not only allowed but actively cheered a duplicitous bunch of politicians take away loads of rights from you, your children and grandchildren.

(Just a small addition to your great post KG😉)

8 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:
  1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

there's nothing more reliable than this government, they make bad decisions  !

no you didn't 

I think I did.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Daz Sparks said:

I think I did.

Good to see a bit of panto at this time of year. Nice one Daz!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

I think I did.

My bad!😂

Edited by sonyc

8 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Good to see a bit of panto at this time of year. Nice one Daz!

He started it! 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

So they deliberately wasted parliamentary time debating a bill that according to you couldn't be passed because of EU regulations to test the water for the repeal of a tax that still couldn't be passed according to you because of EU regulations 

Rather than hurl insults at each other presumably PMoy could point to the EU directive that requires VAT to be levied and at what rate whilst horsebill could find a reliable source of legal commentary that shows no such directive exists.

Unless the intent is to hurl insults, in which case crack on.

3 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

He started it! 😉

Well, strictly speaking, David Cameron did, but hey, full marks to Swindo for keeping up the theatrics.

2 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Rather than hurl insults at each other presumably PMoy could point to the EU directive that requires VAT to be levied and at what rate whilst horsebill could find a reliable source of legal commentary that shows no such directive exists.

Unless the intent is to hurl insults, in which case crack on.

I don't think calling him that is really the right way to stop insults. Do you?

• Like 1

Just now, Herman said:

I don't think calling him that is really the right way to stop insults. Do you?

He has me on ignore so it doesn't really matter.

We all know the purpose of the thread is the fight and not the debate  I'm just joining in! ( of course I could Google the EU VAT directive myself if I wanted to know who is less wrong in this)