Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

There will be questions as to why any time was lost, however, as the British demands had largely already been ceded to on Friday, as referenced by Barnier.

😀

Like many suggested a U-turn is coming...  EU agreed to nothing, just to "increase the pace of negotiations" EU will not cave, US is not riding to their rescue, these chancers are in deep doo doo and they know it. No doubt they will be attacking Keir Starmer and Labour councils for a lack of patriotism as a distraction tomorrow or Wednesday. 

Edited by Surfer

You are so gullible Swindon.... the EU agreed to what the PM asked them to do. So now Gove is saying that is not enough? A U-turn is so obviously coming.

Gove is just setting his boss up to be the hero that rescued the trade negotiations. Barnier must be rolling his eyes at the obviousness of this "negotiating" tactic.

If there is flexibility from the EU side it will be around fishing rights, as it is the least important economically. The one issue they will never budge off of is maintaining a level playing field if you still demand a tariff free market access. Which the UK agreed to, but now wants the right to break whenever it wants to via subsidies to favorite industries. 

Level Playing Field.jpg

Edited by Surfer

I'm not gullible, but I do believe both side will have to give if there's a deal. Fish will have to change and we need not to be ruled by the EU.

Even the head of BMW says  “We need tariff-free trade,” BMW’s Nicolas Peter told journalists last Thursday. “And even then, it needs to be seamless. The administrative processing at customs needs to be efficient.”

Business want it, we want it but the EU don't, something has to change 

Edited by SwindonCanary

14 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/19/brexit-gove-praises-constructive-move-as-eu-agrees-to-intensify-talks

Gove’s live volte-face added an extra touch of farce to the government’s suspension of the talks, which were due to start today. It appears they are likely to resume again with just 24 hours lost.

There will be questions as to why any time was lost, however, as the British demands had largely already been ceded to on Friday, as referenced by Barnier.

😀

To be pedantic it is less than that ALOS. There were no formal talks scheduled for this week, it was supposed to be done and dusted. Barnier had offered to come over yesterday to continue, instead they did it on the phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'm not gullible, but I do believe both side will have to give if there's a deal. Fish will have to change and we need not to be ruled by the EU.

Even the head of BMW says  “We need tariff-free trade,” BMW’s Nicolas Peter told journalists last Thursday. “And even then, it needs to be seamless. The administrative processing at customs needs to be efficient.”

Actually what business wanted was to stay on the EU. But failing that to stay de jure or de facto in the single market, or failing that to stay in a customs' union or failing that to have a comprehensive level-playing field trade deal.

All of those post-Brexit options were available as far as the EU was concerned but all have been rejected by the UK government. Leaving business with the bad-dream option of a mininal trade deal or the worst nightmare option of a no-deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Actually what business wanted was to stay on the EU. But failing that to stay de jure or de facto in the single market, or failing that to stay in a customs' union or failing that to have a comprehensive level-playing field trade deal.

All of those post-Brexit options were available as far as the EU was concerned but all have been rejected by the UK government. Leaving business with the bad-dream option of a mininal trade deal or the worst nightmare option of a no-deal.

We have already said no to the single market & customs' union the man at BMW is talking sense as it's all that's left.

We have already said no to the single market & customs' union the man at BMW is talking sense as it's all that's left.

What are you worrying about SC. Isn't this EXACTLY want Patrick Minford (the favourite Brexiteers economist) said would happen - 

Even with or without a 'deal' the Rules of Origin will exclude British built 'electric' cars being classified as British (not enough content - those batteries) hence tariffs. Ergo the car manufacturers have already been long term 'switched off' & unplugged in the UK.

Given all the above and that the average Brexiteer is not economically active and far removed from exporting industries but full of nostalgic nationalism and symbolism, I fully expect fishing to trump car manufacturing. It's what you wanted.

I'm sure BMW will take note.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

Oh Lord above

Send down a dove

To cut them throats

Of those bad blokes

That sells bad beer  Brexit to sailors ....

I know Brexiteers live in the afterglow of WW2 (but not first hand) - a WW2 naval ditty I always liked.

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Oh dear! are you genuinely following the negotiations? BMW are indeed talking sense but the UK position makes this impossible. If you're supporting the BMW position then de facto you're against the UK position.

A government that can't negotiate with one of its own cities is going toe to toe with an economic superpower. I wonder how it will end up?! 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Herman said:

A government that can't negotiate with one of its own cities is going toe to toe with an economic superpower. I wonder how it will end up?! 

Fair point, also a government which used to represent all 4 countries of the UK and now only represents one, and it can't even get cities in that one country on side - truly a government of all the talents incompetent idiots 🙄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

The EU do want it. What they won't agree to though is tariff free trade without a level playing field. Especially on state subsidies to industries. Which is what the UK government agreed to in the Withdrawal Agreement - an extract of which I published above. It's all there in black and white - go read it. 

So a U-Turn is coming - attacking Manchester local government just the distraction of the day. The fish we catch but don’t eat will be the “breakthrough” the PM will be crowing about. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Can't negotiate with the House of Lords either. Biggest ever government defeat (since the HoL adopted its current format in 1999) on the regret motion for the 2nd reading of the Internal Markets Bill today. 395 votes to 169, including 39 Tories. Afterall the hot air looks like they will struggle to pass it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Basically everyone is saying the bill is breaking the law except a few Brexiters and cowardly tory MPs.

So the big PR distraction of “putting down the Northern insurrection” is going to plan I see....

£22m in support (less than half what other regions got) the “punishment” for daring to question direct rule by Ministers in London. 

U-turn definitely coming - Thursday evening is my prediction. Just in time for positive PR heading into the weekend news cycle. 

Charles Michel eucopresident  said in 2018 'The EU offer has been Canada ++++ deal. Much further reaching on trade ,internal security and Foreign cooperation. This is a true measure of respect and this measure stays in place '

Yet this year Michel Barnier rejected it, when we asked for a Canada deal 

Now that's two faced or what ? the EU needs to talk to each other !

20 minutes ago, Surfer said:

So the big PR distraction of “putting down the Northern insurrection” is going to plan I see....

£22m in support (less than half what other regions got) the “punishment” for daring to question direct rule by Ministers in London. 

U-turn definitely coming - Thursday evening is my prediction. Just in time for positive PR heading into the weekend news cycle. 

This government (and many previous Conservative administrations) simply don't understand 'the north'. I've lived 'up here' 40 years plus. Liverpool, West & South Yorkshire, Manchester, the North East and Lancashire have been engaged in far more communications in the last 6 months.

Today may just be a small turning point....not about Covid, but about any trust in this administration's economic policy. It was frayed. I think the ramifications will be significant in the next 12-18 months in terms of civic obedience.

Agree though Surfer, all of this is a distraction to the bigger Brexit issue.  Yet, this 'northern thing' is significant.

Edited by sonyc

34 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Charles Michel eucopresident  said in 2018 'The EU offer has been Canada ++++ deal. Much further reaching on trade ,internal security and Foreign cooperation. This is a true measure of respect and this measure stays in place '

Yet this year Michel Barnier rejected it, when we asked for a Canada deal 

Now that's two faced or what ? the EU needs to talk to each other !

If this is true it shows just how f*cking stupid this Tory government/party have been in not taking up the offer. It was hard-line Brexsh*teers like you within the Tory party who did everything they could to prevent any sort of deal like this. Now those self-same sh*ts are crying foul and begging the EU to offer a Canada style deal. There are only one group of people who deserve the label hypocrites and it's your lot SC. Utterly unprincipled sh*tbags who are going to blight the lives of so many people in this country by visiting this economic calamity upon us at a time of a major crisis.

Edited by horsefly
missing word
  • Like 1

Herman that said 

This is only for presentational and information purposes. It is naturally without prejudice to discussions on the framework of the future relationship.

13 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Herman that said 

This is only for presentational and information purposes. It is naturally without prejudice to discussions on the framework of the future relationship.

How many fish do the EU catch in Canadian waters (I'm sure there must be some?)

Why didn't we arrange a new deal before starting the legal process to leave  just like the official vote leave campaign said we would?

3 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

How many fish do the EU catch in Canadian waters (I'm sure there must be some?)

Why didn't we arrange a new deal before starting the legal process to leave  just like the official vote leave campaign said we would?

Saint-Pierre and Miquelon

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says "I'D RATHER DIE ON MY FEET IN THE UK Jonty THAN LIVE ON MY KNEES IN THE EUROPEAN UNION"

Blah blah blah...what a load of billy b*ll*cks   Samuel Johnson : "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" had your lot in mind. 

• Thanks 2