Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

And don't forget BLM supporter Louis Hamilton and his Monaco privilege

Can't say I remember Louis Hamilton supporting Brexit. Please do provide a reference

• Like 3

Oh look there's a border between the Irish north and south set up at the moment. they've set it up to stop transmission of the virus. 

Funny when it's about Brexit, it can't happen. 

32 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Oh look there's a border between the Irish north and south set up at the moment. they've set it up to stop transmission of the virus. 

Trying to stop transmission of virus = good 

Hindering imports/exports of goods, and movement of people from ROI to NI and vice versa = not good 

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
Addition of vice versa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

No, it can happen. And if it does because GB sells N.Ireland down the drain for a hard Brexit you will see violence erupt again. That's what smart people and our friends in America want to avoid. 

59 minutes ago, Surfer said:

No, it can happen. And if it does because GB sells N.Ireland down the drain for a hard Brexit you will see violence erupt again. That's what smart people and our friends in America want to avoid. 

that's what I was getting at they say it will lead to troubles starting again yet it's OK to do it if it's due to virus.  

12 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Switzerland has rejected ending free movement of people with the EU 

Seems sensible, as I understand it a load of other deals would have been ended if the vote had gone the other way 

What??

I was reliably informed the the EU was falling apart & Brexit was the first of many

Seems like FoM is popular if you are not racist. Meanwhile, in other news looks like Gibraltar intends to remain in the single market and customs union putting up a border with the UK. At the same time public opinion in Norway is moving towards full membership.

Are they mad? I am sure the answer must be on BrexitFacts4EU, can anyone help make sense of this?

• Haha 2

Hermo, will be very disappointed that another of his favourite politicians doesn't  want to go back into the EU:

Edited by Jools

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Switzerland has rejected ending free movement of people with the EU 

Seems sensible, as I understand it a load of other deals would have been ended if the vote had gone the other way 

Switzerland needs migrants, but has a problem keeping them there --- The refu.. erm.. economic migrants use the place for transit rather than asylum.

And anyway...

🤣

Lol, seems like No 11 Downing Street are briefing Johnson's surrender is in train........

“There’s definitely going to be a deal,” says one senior MP close to Mr Sunak. “Boris has basically decided he’s going to accept a deal, but he has to go out and get a bloody face first. It was what he did in 2019 — he talked tough, then signed up to the Brexit deal that was on the table. Cummings and Boris have told Rishi to trust them; ‘it’s going to be OK’.”

Emmanuel Macron, French president, is often seen as the most likely intermediary in this scenario, dubbed by EU officials “the Boris folds and claims a great victory paradigm”. Thought is now being given in Brussels to the possible choreography of such a deal, starting with this week’s trade talks. Lord Frost needs to be able to give Michel Barnier, his EU counterpart, a signal that Britain is willing to move on state aid and rebuild trust following the debacle — which is now acknowledged by senior figures in the Johnson team — over the internal market bill. The UK government’s exit strategy cabinet committee is due to meet on Monday to decide how far any concessions could extend, according to two people familiar with the plans.

And Trump about to lose his November re-election must be helping No 10 focus on the reality the UK has to make a proper deal with the EU, as there isn't going to be anyone to rescue them from their own idiocy. Karma. Ain't she a ....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The UK government’s exit strategy cabinet committee is due to meet on Monday to decide how far any concessions could extend, according to two people familiar with the plans.

He'll call it his "Waterloo" agreement. Reflecting the greatest military victory of the British over the perfidious French, and the originating event of Winston Churchill's greatness, and hence Boris's own. A place redolent of history, that will be forever England and stand as a physical counterpoint to the very symbol of pan-European excess - Brussels. A demonstration that when we stand up, alone, (ignore the Dutch Prussians came too late) we demonstrate our greatness to the world..... blah blah. 

Now can we get back to the normal Tory agenda of tax cuts and privatization? 

Just now, SwindonCanary said:

I'll have some of those  😀

Didn't know 12 year old boys paid any tax 

8 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Didn't know 12 year old boys paid any tax 

Talking of taxes   👇

Want six new taxes? Vote for the EU. (Otherwise thank goodness for Brexit)

EU Parliament plans for new EU taxes from 01 January, and for all rebates to be abolished

six_taxes_sml.jpg

Without Brexit, the UK economy would have been hammered under the latest plans

Yesterday the EU Parliament summarised its position on new and additional funding for the EU. It involves the introduction of six new EU-level taxes, as well as removing the rebates enjoyed by some countries. If the UK were still a full member of the EU this would have resulted in an increase of some 50% in the UK’s annual contributions to the EU.

These proposals were all originally made prior to the COVID crisis, but the plans are now being justified as being a solution to the massive need for funding as a result of the EU’s new financial mechanisms to deal with these commitments.

BREXIT FACTS4EU.ORG SUMMARY

The EU Parliament’s grab for more money for the EU

1. January 2021: a new tax on member countries based on non-recycled plastic
  2. January 2021: a new tax on member countries based on the Emissions Trading System (a ‘carbon tax’)
  3. January 2023: a new digital services tax on internet-based businesses
  4. January 2023: a new carbon tax on imports of goods from outside the EU
  5. January 2024: a new financial transactions tax
  6. January 2026: a new EU corporate tax on companies

Taxes go up and rebates get abolished

Finally, there is a complete removal of the rebates on contributions enjoyed by some countries. Last year the UK’s rebate was £4.5bn, so the UK’s net contributions to the EU would rise by approximately this level if the UK were still a member.

new_eu_taxes.jpg

© Brexit Facts4EU.Org - click to enlarge

“MEPs also insist on the abolition of all rebates.”

- EU Parliament report, 24 Sept 2020

In 2019 according to HM Treasury and the House of Commons Library, the UK's net contribution to the EU was £9.44bn. In fact it was higher, as a result of the "off-budget" payments to the EU which never appear in their summaries. Nevertheless we have shown that the official figure would rise by 48% to £13.96bn without the UK's rebate.

The costs of being a member of the EU would rise significantly under the EU Parliament’s plans

The EU Parliament has couched the new taxes in ways which disguise the fact that member countries and their citizens will end up paying more. Under the above measures, the cost of doing business in the EU will rise. Ultimately this has a direct effect on all citizens.

Here is an example of how these things are expressed in the EU Parliament’s legislative resolution of 16 September 2020 on the draft Council decision on the system of own resources of the European Union (10025/2020 – C9-0215/2020 – 2018/0135(CNS)) :-

“such costs should be covered entirely by income from genuine new own resources”

To describe these new taxation revenue streams as “genuine new own resources” appears to come from the ‘money grows on (carbon-neutral) trees’ school of thinking.

The EU is not only spending, it is now having to borrow for the first time

The EU Parliament’s legislative resolution also gives permission for the EU Commission to borrow on the world markets for the first time, thereby setting a dangerous precedent. Here is the opening statement:-

“(1a) This Decision provides the legal basis for the Commission to borrow funds on the capital markets in order to finance expenditure in the framework of the Next Generation EU Recovery Package.”

OBSERVATIONS

When most prudent households find themselves in difficult economic times they tighten their belts. Not so the EU.

Four years ago when faced with a large shortfall in income as a result of losing the UK’s annual contribution, did the EU scale back on its expenditures? No, it just kept on spending. The EU then simply came up with the idea of a “Divorce Bill” which was shockingly agreed to by Theresa May and her government.

giveaway_2.jpg

© Brexit Facts4EU.Org - click to enlarge

Today, faced with the double whammy of the loss of the “Bank of the UK” and the astronomical costs of the EU’s COVID measures, the EU Parliament’s solution is to tax more widely and deeply.

The EU Parliament is not, of course, the ultimate decision-maker. These things involve the EU Council and the EU Commission too. All we can say is that the Commission always wants to extend its reach and the globalist leaders of most of the EU member states believe in the gradual creation of a superstate of ‘Europe’.

All non-EU countries – including the UK – will be hit by the EU Parliament’s plans

Thanks to Brexit, the UK will not be facing a huge increase in its annual contribution for future years of membership of this sclerotic organisation. This would have happened - without Brexit - if the EU abolishes all rebates, as we have shown in our chart above.

Instead the UK taxpayer will merely be paying out huge sums which have no basis in international law for the EU’s contrived “Divorce Bill”.

That said, some of the new taxes described above will affect British companies who wish to trade with the EU, as well as those from other countries around the world. Taxes 3, 4, and 5 in our list above will almost certainly affect non-EU businesses.

Remainers never said what type of EU we would be remaining in

It’s important when reading a report such as the one above to state that the British public did actually vote for Brexit and we will be leaving. The Remain side have been fond of saying "Yes, but no-one ever voted for a particular type of Brexit." However - and as we pointed out many times during the debate - no-one on the Remain side ever admitted that no-one knew what voting Remain would mean. What type of EU would we remain in? Our report clearly shows one very expensive example of this.

The Brexit bonus

One way or the other Great Britain will finally be leaving the Customs Union and Single Market on 31 December 2020. Very sadly we will be leaving Northern Ireland behind, as things currently stand. We don't yet know the precise terms of our departure, and we can only and sincerely hope that the Government will remain resolute and true to their words. If they don’t they will not be forgiven by a great many millions of voters.

To quote the Rt Hon the Baroness Thatcher from a different era, 32 years ago:

"We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them reimposed at a European level, with a European super-state exercising a new dominance from Brussels."

This threat remains, if the Government does not repudiate the Withdrawal Treaty before the end of this year.

baroness_thatcher.jpg

The upside is that the EU seems to be very busy, continuing to make itself less and less attractive as a place to do business. This presents great opportunities for an independent, democratic, sovereign, and free trade-loving United Kingdom to reap the rewards.

It is essential that the Government does not compromise in the coming weeks. This is why we continue to fight.

[ Sources: EU Parliament | HM Treasury | House of Commons Library ] Politicians and journalists (Given up on Pink'Un Remainiacs) can contact us for details, as ever.

Brexit Facts4EU.Org, Sat 26 Sept 2020

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'll have some of those  😀

As usual, you misunderstand. Tax cuts are only for the rich Swindon. 

Edited by Surfer

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

As usual, you misunderstand. Tax costs are only for the rich Swindon. 

Tax costs?

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

As usual, you misunderstand. Tax cuts are only for the rich Swindon. 

Tax cuts Jools. You know, the benefits every Tory government hands out to your betters. 

Funny how the RWNJs keep bringing up Sweden and how we should follow their covid response yet never mention their tax and social spending regimes. Maybe if we followed that we may not be such unequal societies. Just a thought. 

Copied from HAMPSHIRE 

The EU’s massive problem with the loss of the UK’s money is well documented. But their solution has almost completely escaped attention. Brussel’s initial answer appeared to be ignore it. The EU plan for the next 7 year budget called for a 1% increase in spending, even though it has lost nearly 20% of its income. But the 5 countries that pay 89% of the EU’s bills refused to increase their contributions while the 18 countries, that don’t pay a penny, refused to take any cuts. The EU's answer. Only €312bn of the €750 Covid fund is actually being used for recovery! The rest is being used to cover the loss of the UK’s money. To quote the Financial Times, ”cash borrowed by the commission (will be used) topping up existing schemes.” So €438bn is being used keeping the EU afloat, not for new Recovery. Neither is there any actual agreement on how to pay for the borrowing. Brussel's wants impose "Environmental" and Digital taxes on American companies.But many of the members are worried giving Brussel’sthe power to set and directly collect taxes. So the €750bn Covid debt is just being added to the billions of debt that is already being kicked down the road by Brussels. By 2023 the debt was expected to have reached €314bn. Add the €750bn and the EU’s debt exceeds the entire €1 Trillion 2021-27 budget.

9 hours ago, NFN FC said:

Taxes 1, 2 and 4 are decent 

To tell the truth all the taxes make sense in any reasonable country. At some point taxes in the UK will need to rise to cover the debt from Covid so the question is what taxes and who should pay. Phillip Green was quoted saying only little people pay taxes. I can't see that playing well is those "Red Wall" seats.

6 minutes ago, BigFish said:

To tell the truth all the taxes make sense in any reasonable country. At some point taxes in the UK will need to rise to cover the debt from Covid so the question is what taxes and who should pay. Phillip Green was quoted saying only little people pay taxes. I can't see that playing well is those "Red Wall" seats.

Tax rises will be applied across the rest of the 2020s and probably into the 2030s to pay for Covid and Brexit related loss of business and revenue. It will be applied in my view across all income cohorts.

But then, I'm expecting a social democrat government for most of the 2020s. Voters won't forget this current administration in a hurry. Even serious-minded people who might consider themselves centrists or right wingers will want to see different kinds of values. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Tax rises will be applied across the rest of the 2020s and probably into the 2030s to pay for Covid and Brexit related loss of business and revenue. It will be applied in my view across all income cohorts.

But then, I'm expecting a social democrat government for most of the 2020s. Voters won't forget this current administration in a hurry. Even serious-minded people who might consider themselves centrists or right wingers will want to see different kinds of values. 

I guess Trump supporters like RTB, Jools, SC don't pay taxes anyway. That's for the little people to pay.

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

'taxes make sense' yes they do and nobody should sell us goods in our High streets or online, if they are not paying the same rate of taxes small business have to pay, hallo google, apple, netflix, Amazon etc.

'any reasonable country'? would you call a country that has suspended/muzzled its parliament, claiming full support without debate and or second hearings, a country that allows financial predators, crooks criminals and blue blood to bypass vast sums past the exchequer into 'uncontrollable' tax havens, a country that commits to deny and cover up torture, war crimes using fake news, judges like Baraitser and lying QC's such as James lewis, a reasonable country?

Finally 'Phillip Green' ? there is no need to swear here, the man is a self serving rat, nt quotable in my view, but he has free speech to say so.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

That's optimistic. It will be alot longer than that. It was only in 2015 that the government settled the debt from WW1. 

However you look at it. EU or not we are pretty much screwed. I'd say were the Ipswich of countries. Still living In the past saying we were great once when the reality is to alot we are a laughing stock...

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

That's optimistic. It will be alot longer than that. It was only in 2015 that the government settled the debt from WW1. 

However you look at it. EU or not we are pretty much screwed. I'd say were the Ipswich of countries. Still living In the past saying we were great once when the reality is to alot we are a laughing stock...

I agree it will be a long while! And the 2030s was probably wildly ambitious as a guess now I think about it.

The trouble with winning two world wars is that we haven't had to have a reset about who we are as a country (like Germany had to for example) and hence we still live in the past. Our Brexit position belittles this country even more. We are far bigger as a country being a member of the European project, able to influence, exert pressure, openly share ideas and receive intelligence. What a legacy this Johnson government leaves the country to grapple with! Add on top Covid and you could see the 2030s echoing the difficult 1930s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/poll-britons-dont-believe-boris-johnson-good-brexit-deal-a4557741.html

EXCLUSIVE: Research by Ipsos MORI found that 58 per cent of the public do not feel confident that there will be a successful outcome for Britain

Only 26 per cent think the Government has prepared well for the possibility that talks will fail to reach any deal by December 31, the date that Britain is due to leave the EU single market and its smooth, borderless trading rules. Almost two thirds, 63 per cent, think ministers have done a bad job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1