Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

That cutting red tape and making it cheaper and easier to trade brexit is looking way off now. 200 million extra forms and 7 billion pounds way off. 🤣

1 hour ago, Herman said:

That cutting red tape and making it cheaper and easier to trade brexit is looking way off now. 200 million extra forms and 7 billion pounds way off. 🤣

The figures quote are actually

• businesses to complete an additional 400 million import and export customs declarations as a result of Brexit,
  • at a cost previously estimated by HM Revenue and Customs at anything up to £20bn a year

And it was absurd to imagine that leaving a trading bloc would amount to less 'bureaucracy' - that being one of the reasons for being a member

Much as you stop being a ST holder at City because you can get cheaper tickets elsewhere and sit where you want. This being so obvious points towards my thought that brexiteers were not really motivated by a wish to leave the EU for economic reasons - but by naked bigotry.

Nothing that has been announced over the past few days has not been stated by me previously. And in that I will remind folk of how the full implications of WTO rules, then most important being, most favoured nation have not been fully grasped

Watch this space, as they say 🙄

2 hours ago, Herman said:

.......or £250 million per week, where is your Brexit dividend @SwindonCanary?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 13/07/2020 at 11:11, Jools said:

I'm more concerned about the mental state of people who read the Guardian and the Independent and who take them seriously 🙃

How about the Times then Jools. There must be newspaper that you would believe. It can't be a grand conspiracy to convince everyone that what is real and emerging into the light of day is really fake news? 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/post-brexit-border-checks-to-cost-businesses-13-billion-3r5w8hhxk

Edited by Surfer

Huawei are a threat to Britain says leading brexiter Ian Duncan Smith, unironically. 

On 13/07/2020 at 19:11, Jools said:

I'm more concerned about the mental state of people who read the Guardian and the Independent and who take them seriously 🙃

You should be more concerned about the mental state of people who claim that international superstar David Bowie visited them in thier flat when he didn't.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

You should be more concerned about the mental state of people who claim that international superstar David Bowie visited them in thier flat when he didn't.

He should change his name to Walter Mitty...or Sire of Swindo...both liars of great magnitude.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

It won't, mainly because there is nothing alarmist about it. Haven't read the article because its behind a paywall and there is no way I would spend a penny to read the Telegraph, although I might spend a penny on the Telegraph if the opportunity arose 😁

Anyway as you would know if you read any serious news the issue isn't really to do with 'chlorination' at all, other than its use to try and conceal the appallingly low hygiene and quality standards that apply to US food production generally and meat products in particular.

It is the rock bottom US standards that are the problem and it is the mainly die-hard Tory Brexiteer voting farmers in the UK that are now protesting the loudest - seems as though they've finally woken up to the fact that, just like you, they were lied to on an epic scale by the Leave campaign.

Tough, I'm afraid, and bit too late for buyer's regret because many of them will be going bust. Trouble is, like so many aspects of Brexit, they haven't just screwed themselves, they've screwed it up for all of us in the process.

• Like 3

Just started reading Len Deighton's revisionist history of world war two, and came across this:

'Britain's long history of greatly overestimating its own strengths and skills leads it to underestimate foreign powers. Our Victorian heyday still dominates our national imagination and our island geography has often enabled us to avoid the consequences of grave miscalculations by our leaders. Such good fortune cannot continue indefinitely.'

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

It won't, mainly because there is nothing alarmist about it. Haven't read the article because its behind a paywall and there is no way I would spend a penny to read the Telegraph, n the process.

use the Firefox browser

it has an add -n call Firewall Bypass which allows you access to Telegraph, Times, Economist, FT etc

One of the sick parts of the brexit campaign (among so much else) was the bleat about controlling our borders'

Not only has that been blown out of the water with the UK agreeing to an EU border in UK sovereign territory (Irish Sea) - but the further concern that any deal outside of the EU will force the UK to accept lower standard meat, whose country of origin will not be known

The recent evidence of a link between meat production and Covid-19 should raise strong concerns, as the deal that Swindo, Farage etc want is one where this stuff can be shipped via the US into the UK with none of us any the wiser

It cannot even be labelled 'Fit only for consumption by brexiteers'

A big and important article in the Guardian by George Monbiot about the bizarre contracting of services, to odd companies, by the government. More end of Soviet era corruption or something less sinister? 

43 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just started reading Len Deighton's revisionist history of world war two, and came across this:

'Britain's long history of greatly overestimating its own strengths and skills leads it to underestimate foreign powers. Our Victorian heyday still dominates our national imagination and our island geography has often enabled us to avoid the consequences of grave miscalculations by our leaders. Such good fortune cannot continue indefinitely.'

Fortunately, Mrs. Thatcher did not share Mr. Deighton's views when she successfully brought to an end Communism in Europe, and taught the Argentinians a thing or two about sovereignty.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Bill said:

use the Firefox browser

it has an add -n call Firewall Bypass which allows you access to Telegraph, Times, Economist, FT etc

So you have no problem in breaking the laws on copyright?

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Fortunately, Mrs. Thatcher did not share Mr. Deighton's views when she successfully brought to an end Communism in Europe, and taught the Argentinians a thing or two about sovereignty.

What, single handedly?🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

So you have no problem in breaking the laws on copyright?

Stop lying

ps where's Ben10, he didn't last long 🤣

50 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

It won't, mainly because there is nothing alarmist about it. Haven't read the article because its behind a paywall and there is no way I would spend a penny to read the Telegraph, although I might spend a penny on the Telegraph if the opportunity arose 😁

Anyway as you would know if you read any serious news the issue isn't really to do with 'chlorination' at all, other than its use to try and conceal the appallingly low hygiene and quality standards that apply to US food production generally and meat products in particular.

It is the rock bottom US standards that are the problem and it is the mainly die-hard Tory Brexiteer voting farmers in the UK that are now protesting the loudest - seems as though they've finally woken up to the fact that, just like you, they were lied to on an epic scale by the Leave campaign.

Tough, I'm afraid, and bit too late for buyer's regret because many of them will be going bust. Trouble is, like so many aspects of Brexit, they haven't just screwed themselves, they've screwed it up for all of us in the process.

Correct, it has never really been about chlorination, even though Bill bashes on about it every day. If it were about chlorination then there would be protests about the chlorination of salads, which is used extensively in supermarkets, and no one bats an eyelid.

Just now, Bill said:

Stop lying

ps where's Ben10, he didn't last long 🤣

stop breaking the law

where's City 1st, sectioned?

Just now, Rock The Boat said:

Correct, it has never really been about chlorination, even though Bill bashes on about it every day. If it were about chlorination then there would be protests about the chlorination of salads, which is used extensively in supermarkets, and no one bats an eyelid.

Blimey, if I'm am going to be followed by hand crank lying I shall block him

au revoir mon M. Rennes

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Who needs Len Deightons revisionist views on history when you've got RTBs. 🤣

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

Nope

Well, why write such bollox? And maybe learn a bit about Thatcher and the Falklands. 

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Blimey, if I'm am going to be followed by hand crank lying I shall block him

au revoir mon M. Rennes

Coward.

34 minutes ago, Bill said:

use the Firefox browser

Ah ok, thanks for that - I do normally use Firefox but haven't really explored the Add Ons - that sounds like a useful one although it will probably be to look at some of the others listed before I waste any time on the Telegraph 😁

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Well, why write such bollox? And maybe learn a bit about Thatcher and the Falklands. 

Because i never claimed she did it alone. That was you making stuff up.

Edited by Rock The Boat

5 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Ah ok, thanks for that - I do normally use Firefox but haven't really explored the Add Ons - that sounds like a useful one although it will probably be to look at some of the others listed before I waste any time on the Telegraph 😁

It comes in quite handy when something you are interested in is linked to a paywall site

There's also a few good US sites which are useful to get a more focussed narrative from that side of the pond

otherwise, enjoy 😏

Just heard an old song the lyrics of which for me tends to sum Brexiters and their outlook.

Ian Drury & the Block Heads.

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Seems like the whole world is lining up to take turns to 'hit' the Uk - USA, EU and now China. It's just a question of how high we'll have to jump.

'Hit me, hit me, hit meeeee'. When will the self-flagellation cease ?

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

We know.

Capture.PNG

• Like 3