Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Nigel tells it like it is. I might vote for him.

What's he doing in his local library - I thought they were closed

Probably borrowing some colouring in books for his Brexit Party members I expect 😆

17 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Now now Bill.

You didn't really expect Johnson to read, let alone understand the small print to what HE signed up for ? You'ld have to assume he was competent to believe that.

I would be very surprised if the EU agreed to eliminate or even just limit border checks on goods going from Northern Ireland into Great Britain. Obviously the EU cannot possibly agree to uncontrolled access from GB into NI, since that would undermine the single market, and that the UK government says in public it accepts. We shall see. But Brussels will want trade going the other way, out of the single market into GB, to be controlled too.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I still think it's jolly unfair of them to want the UK to stick to the agreement made.

they are not even giving in at the last minute either. I thought they needed us more than we need them.

haven't the heard about the easiest deal in history ?

Weren't they all supposed to be leaving ?

And where are those 79m Turks ? Surely they should have joined by now

so spend money on building custom facilities or on upgrading our schools

depends on whether you want to look forward or look back

£900m on painting a plane - or providing food for kids

the current protests have certainly divided the country into progressives and regressivs

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would be very surprised if the EU agreed to eliminate or even just limit border checks on goods going from Northern Ireland into Great Britain. Obviously the EU cannot possibly agree to uncontrolled access from GB into NI, since that would undermine the single market, and that the UK government says in public it accepts. We shall see. But Brussels will want trade going the other way, out of the single market into GB, to be controlled too.

why ?

55 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

Although the thread has been deleted some of us have a good memory SWINDO. We remember the post where you said she did not want to have eastern european children in her class. You are like her, a racist, and on top of that you are a proven LIAR.

Did not write that, all I wrote was that there was a lot of kids coming in who could not speak a word of English.

To all you losers, I know you are up set at what's happened, but stop making thing up. Today I've been told I'm lying and a racist none of which are  true

Edited by SwindonCanary

Yet more incompetence all around - one does wonder why this Government is sabotaging Britain... for example today Rabb has a ludicrous defense of why no Russia report yet ..   it has been six months since Parliament started the new session and the Government has not reconstituted the Committee that Raab says is the only one that can release the report. This is just deliberate governmental malpractice (surprise) - who is benefiting from this?

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1273504689984876546

Raab Russia.jpg

Edited by Surfer

Meanwhile, you may have heard the revelation that Donald Trump asked Xi to buy lots of US farm products so he can win the next presidential election - so if you think that British farmers are not on the chopping block, think again..  no deal on eliminating food standards, then no US deal at all. 

Trade deal.jpg

Edited by Surfer

I doubt too many will be too surprised at the huge donations made to the Conservative party by Russians.

https://www.occrp.org/en/daily/12539-wife-of-putin-ally-has-now-donated-2-47-million-to-u-k-tory-party

of course this sort of stuff is only seen as corruption if you are a 'lefty', it is usual business practice if you are a Tory

and Rabb would have bee briefed on this given he is Foreign Secretary, that;s why he was asked

if acknowledging that he had been put on the spot about one or some of the things it contained - what he chose to do was to fudge what he had seen

more to come.... methinks

2 hours ago, Jools said:

The EU’s plans to spend €1.85 TRILLION of EU citizens’ money, starting on 01 Jan 2021 😮

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_940

The UK being the EUs second largest contributor would've paid massively into the above...

Thank God we're getting out and there's no transition period 👍

Oh goody, we can celebrate with a chlorinated chicken dinner 😳😳😳

• Haha 1

Christ, it's falling apart quicker than even I thought

"The government is to reimburse Northern Irish businesses if they are hit by tariffs due to a collapse in Brexit talks, Michael Gove has said.

He revealed the plans after coming under heavy fire from MPs over Brexit arrangements for the region.

“We want to make sure that in the event of there not being a free trade agreement of whatever kind with the EU that we are in a position to indemnify and reimburse companies for tariffs,”"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/18/northern-ireland-firms-will-be-reimbursed-for-tariffs-if-brexit-talks-fail-gove-promises

44 minutes ago, Bill said:

Christ, it's falling apart quicker than even I thought

"The government is to reimburse Northern Irish businesses if they are hit by tariffs due to a collapse in Brexit talks, Michael Gove has said.

He revealed the plans after coming under heavy fire from MPs over Brexit arrangements for the region.

“We want to make sure that in the event of there not being a free trade agreement of whatever kind with the EU that we are in a position to indemnify and reimburse companies for tariffs,”"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/18/northern-ireland-firms-will-be-reimbursed-for-tariffs-if-brexit-talks-fail-gove-promises

You keep pointing out the worst case scenario, it will not come to that =a deal will be done. 

I think we all trust this government to get its act together soon and deliver us a cracking trade deal that will replicate the brilliant one we have just thrown away.

8 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Yep, it may not be as good, but we will be saving an awful lot of money by being out and we can deal with the rest of the world. 

So we get worse trade deals to save a tiny proportion of our GDP and these savings will then have to go to replicate all the different agencies we have just left and all simply to do something we could already do. Well done brexiters.

28 minutes ago, Herman said:

So we get worse trade deals to save a tiny proportion of our GDP and these savings will then have to go to replicate all the different agencies we have just left and all simply to do something we could already do. Well done brexiters.

As we have seen over the past four years, mouse brain hasn't a clue. no understanding what a 'deal' is, how the WTO rule will affect what the UK does ie it will be at the mercy of every two bit country for them to dictate to us.

However that is now being admitted by the government as every announcement is rowing back on the absurd posturing of ast autumn.

As without the ability to impose quotas that suit as (as in the EU) the UK will now be stuck with offering everyone the same. Do what the UK offers Egypt to agree a deal, and it has to offer every other country the same (WTO rules). This is borne out by a comment from the FT on the cobbled together UK global tariff which has

Helen Dickinson, chief executive of the British Retail Consortium, warned that families would pay more for food. “UK consumers have become accustomed to a huge variety of affordable food thanks, in part, to tariff-free imports from the EU,” she said. “Unless a similar agreement is reached in the next seven months, imported agricultural products will be subject to new tariffs, raising costs for consumers.”

The UK is aiming for up to 60% of goods to be tariff free, as against 47% now. But with the EU the UK gets its food pretty much dirt cheap, where out on its own it will have to take what others offer - hence the certain rise in food prices.

The extra costs incurred does not factor in the huge amount of money that will then needed to be spent on form filling to process all this stuff - that was once carried out by being paid of the EU.

A totally bizarre situation akin to a junior manager leaving Tescos to set up his own corner shop under the belief that he can negotiate better prices from suppliers/

Any wonder every announcement is one of quietly rowing back from that absurd idea

You are such a hypocrite. Unfortunately, for you, you showed your true colours when you thought Brexit may not happen... and then, when the inevitable came to pass, you continue on the same idea that I'm better than you attitude.   I see you for what you are.

11 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Yep, it may not be as good, but we will be saving an awful lot of money by being out and we can deal with the rest of the world. 

50,000 New Customs Agents required to deal with additional bureaucracy after the end of the transition period.

We won't be saving, we'll be spending it on stuff the EU used to as part of our membership.

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

50,000 New Customs Agents required to deal with additional bureaucracy after the end of the transition period.

We won't be saving, we'll be spending it on stuff the EU used to as part of our membership.

Remind me, how much did we pay to be in the EU club  !

20 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Remind me, how much did we pay to be in the EU club  !

I really would suggests you don't ever go into business -  

A quick back of the envelope calculation - 

Just take the 50,000 customs officers (only a small part of the real 'replacement costs - all those much more highly paid regulatory bodies as well let alone the direct costs to business)

But - let me be very kind and assume 50,000 new staff at £50,000 a year each (inc overheads/pensions - actually a number like 100K/year might be better).

50,000 x 100,000 = £5Bn/year - Just for the customs officers.

It's called economies of scale - business class 101. 

Only the most idiotic can of ever thought we would save money leaving the EU. It why the world laughs at them and you.

Edited by Yellow Fever
By the way that's an American billion - not the obsolete 'British' billion that you may have grown up with.

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

No where near what we pay the EU

Just laughing at you. It's really very funny when the lunatics keep making this argument. Nobody, not even this Brexit government believes it.

We pay roughly 8 billion for 400 billion pounds worth of genuine free trade. This money covered the costs of numerous agencies to make sure it runs as smooth. 

Think of it as having a great pitch at Norwich market but just on an enormous scale. 

Now we have the equivalent of a pitch at a Thetford car boot sale. But at least we saved on the market fees. 

Edited by Herman

10 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Do you really think we only pay the EU £5Bn per year = deluded 

You are really are very very thick. Read (I know that needs some thought but hey my phone can do that can so it must be comprehension instead - the modal Brexiter syndrome) what I wrote - the 'customs part' is only actually a very small part of our overall 'replacement' costs - all those other regulatory bodies to replace as well let alone industry cost. Arh well lots of (wasted) money for pen pushers and red tape.