Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Hard for anyone to predict what the world will look like after this pandemic but my guess would be that many will be looking to turn away from globalisation with a renewed focus on local supply chains.

True, like the giant trading partner on our doorstep that so many think we can turn our back on.

19 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Hard for anyone to predict what the world will look like after this pandemic but my guess would be that many will be looking to turn away from globalisation with a renewed focus on local supply chains.

Our local supply chain and market is the EU ! 

We are too small a market for any large manufacturer (or food come that) to be solely and wholly dependent on the UK.

59 minutes ago, BigFish said:

True, like the giant trading partner on our doorstep that so many think we can turn our back on.

I dont think many in the UK wish to turn their back on trading with the EU, most would support a new trading relationship.

I think many will see that being an EU member does little to help those members when there is a real crisis and will look to the way we as a nation have responded.

Edited by Van wink

10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I think this goes into the category of Vapourware. Sorry to inform you but there is no stockpile of medical equipment. 

The article references ventilators 

I don't know how far they have got with their stockpile, I wouldn't be surprised if they are still short of what they are looking for 

Maybe you have some evidence to support what you have said?

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

I dont think many in the UK wish to turn their back on trading with the EU, most would support a new trading relationship.

I think many will see that being an EU member does little to help those members when there is a real crisis and will look to the way we as a nation have responded.

At least we now have the trademarked Brexiter plan of anti-EU attack. And why would they look at the way we have responded? We've been playing catch up all the way through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

If you think anyone in the world will look at how the UK has responded with envy you are beyond delusional

• Like 1

Money markets have judged the government's efforts, pound falls to its lowest level ever (according to the Bank of England)

image.png.bc8aad2eb18b552b0a9f694c372d843b.png

8 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Very true, and they might also have a shred more credibility if he wasn't such a rabid supporter of the very unpleasant modern English and US nationalism of the sort that he pretends to abhor in other countries (whether it exists or not).

Scottish and Irish nationalism is no doubt fine in your eyes though? 

Yes. The oppressed wanting their freedom to choose their own route is fine. Oppressors whinging like little girls about being supposedly hard done by is not. Hope that helps. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Yes. The oppressed wanting their freedom to choose their own route is fine. Oppressors whinging like little girls about being supposedly hard done by is not. Hope that helps. 

Northern Ireland has it’s own devolved parliament, as does Scotland, I certainly wouldn’t call them oppressed. Both countries also run at a loss, with Scotland propped up by the Barnett formula. Scotland complain that they only get 10% of the seats in Westminster, so want independence to do as they please, even if it meant a financial hit and you support that. The UK votes to leave the EU as they only get 10% of the seats, so wants to leave to do as they please, even if it meant a financial hit and you’re dead against it? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Scottish and Irish nationalism is no doubt fine in your eyes though? 

If that nationalism is nothing more than a desire for independence then yes it is absolutely fine IMO.

However for many years English nationalism and now the recent US nationalism is something very nasty.

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

Northern Ireland has it’s own devolved parliament, as does Scotland, I certainly wouldn’t call them oppressed. Both countries also run at a loss, with Scotland propped up by the Barnett formula. Scotland complain that they only get 10% of the seats in Westminster, so want independence to do as they please, even if it meant a financial hit and you support that. The UK votes to leave the EU as they only get 10% of the seats, so wants to leave to do as they please, even if it meant a financial hit and you’re dead against it? 

It should be up to the Scottish people to decide what they want to do. I'd rather we'd stay as the UK but Brexit has made that rather impossible. 

PS we have been telling you there would be a massive financial hit and you have constantly told us we wouldn't. You've moved the goalposts so far and you still can't see it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Northern Ireland has it’s own devolved parliament, as does Scotland, I certainly wouldn’t call them oppressed.

So does Wales for that matter, but none of those parliaments have much power and the Northern Ireland one has just gone for three years without sitting at all.

The plain fact of the matter is that all crucial (and plenty of non-crucial) decisions are taken in Westminister by an overwhelming English parliament which invariably put English interests first and have done so for many years, and in the case of Northern Ireland they have just been thrown completely under the bus by the current government.

The idea that Scotland are propped up financially by the English is a bit of a red herring but IMO it's up to the Scots and the Irish to decide to where their best interests lie, and in a proper democracy that would be a straightforward choice to implement whichever decision they made.

Unfortunately we have a very dysfunctional democracy, but even so it looks almost certain that we will see a referendum in both Scotland and NI in the fairly near future and then they can make up their own minds.

Edited by Creative Midfielder

4 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

It is not England that props up Scotland though. It is that Remain voting London that does the propping. Most of the Brexit voting regions need propping up too.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The article references ventilators 

I don't know how far they have got with their stockpile, I wouldn't be surprised if they are still short of what they are looking for 

Maybe you have some evidence to support what you have said?

There is no stockpile of ventilators. They are all currently in use and they need more produced urgently. i thought this was fairly common knowledge.

I notice that China has been helping Italy with medical supplies and Russia has been sending trucks down to Spain. Germany is keeping everything for its own use and if you go back and reference the article what is is actually saying is 'wouldn't it be a good idea if we had an EU stockpile of medical equipment' If the EU had any use why didn't they think of this before?

7 hours ago, Herman said:

It should be up to the Scottish people to decide what they want to do. I'd rather we'd stay as the UK but Brexit has made that rather impossible. 

PS we have been telling you there would be a massive financial hit and you have constantly told us we wouldn't. You've moved the goalposts so far and you still can't see it. 

This is really, really odd and I don't know how you manage to rationalise it. You say it is up to the Scottish people to decide what they want to do. And yes, in 2014 they got the opportunity to decide, and they decided they wanted to Remain in the UK. Then in 2016 the British people were given the opportunity to decide if they wanted to Remain in the EU, and they said that they wanted to leave.

So the opportunities have been given and the choices have been made. Why not just accept what people decided and get on with it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

There is no stockpile of ventilators. They are all currently in use and they need more produced urgently. i thought this was fairly common knowledge.

I notice that China has been helping Italy with medical supplies and Russia has been sending trucks down to Spain. Germany is keeping everything for its own use and if you go back and reference the article what is is actually saying is 'wouldn't it be a good idea if we had an EU stockpile of medical equipment' If the EU had any use why didn't they think of this before?

China aid is genuine, as you might suspect something rather fishy about the Russian aid ... 

Russia.jpg

4 hours ago, BigFish said:

It is not England that props up Scotland though. It is that Remain voting London that does the propping. Most of the Brexit voting regions need propping up too.

So how much does the London Assembly send to Scotland and NI?

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

So the opportunities have been given and the choices have been made. Why not just accept what people decided and get on with it?

I think you'll find that all the people not getting on with it are Leavers

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

So how much does the London Assembly send to Scotland and NI?

Per head Londoners are subbing out the rest of the country to the tune of a couple of £grand each.

image.thumb.png.35fd7f70d7e352dc1c4d98ac5842d561.png

Edited by BigFish

5 minutes ago, Surfer said:

China aid is genuine, as you might suspect something rather fishy about the Russian aid ... 

Russia.jpg

The Spanish and Italians have got another shock coming when they find out the EU aid package that is being put forward is in the form of loans that they will have to pay back. On top of their existing debt this will be the straw that eventually breaks the EU's back.

Just now, Rock The Boat said:

The Spanish and Italians have got another shock coming when they find out the EU aid package that is being put forward is in the form of loans that they will have to pay back. On top of their existing debt this will be the straw that eventually breaks the EU's back.

And what is wrong with a loan? 

5 minutes ago, Surfer said:

And what is wrong with a loan? 

@Rock The Boat It is, afterall, what your buddy Johnson's government is doing......

.......to the tune of several hundred billions of pounds

Edited by BigFish

23 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

This is really, really odd and I don't know how you manage to rationalise it. You say it is up to the Scottish people to decide what they want to do. And yes, in 2014 they got the opportunity to decide, and they decided they wanted to Remain in the UK. Then in 2016 the British people were given the opportunity to decide if they wanted to Remain in the EU, and they said that they wanted to leave.

In the Indy Ref the Scottish were warned they would not automatically become EU members if they left the UK. This was one of the main reasons they said no to full independence. Then lo and behold a couple of years later the same twats that sold this then decided to take them out of the EU. You know this.

It looks like the Scottish would rather be members of the EU than the UK. I don't blame them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

If that nationalism is nothing more than a desire for independence then yes it is absolutely fine IMO.

However for many years English nationalism and now the recent US nationalism is something very nasty.

Why is it that England seems to be the only country where the middle classes seem to hate their own country? It’s not a new phenomenon as it has been commented on as far back as Churchill and Orwell, who once noted they’d feel less shame stealing from a poor box than they would singing the national anthem. This seems to be the undercurrent to the whole Brexit debate, many of those most anti leaving are so because it means the UK moves slightly further away from Europe, whom they’ve always believed are culturally superior to their own countrymen 

9 hours ago, Herman said:

I don’t believe there will be, but even if there was it’s irrelevant. People listened to all the warnings from the Remain camp about an economic apocalypse and decided that either the risks were massively overstated or that Leaving was worth it anyway

6 hours ago, BigFish said:

I’m not going to argue with you there, the City basically funds the bulk of the UK