Jump to content
Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's not over, there are plenty of things to fight against.

It is quite clear what Johnson,his government and the right wing press are trying to do to the country. A Trumpian/Orbanic authoritarian and dystopian ****hole is not the country people fought and died for.

Let’s turn it around Hermy, from the negative mindset that pervades this thread, how about instead of “plenty of things to fight against” try “ plenty of things to fight for” . It needs a small shift in outlook  but is far more positive (makes you all look less like a bunch of belligerent losers) and puts your mind in a more healthy place.

Its the way to make a difference, be positive, try to shape things in the way you want, whilst following the general direction your country has voted for, the alternative is you get nothing, which is not good for any of us!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Every day is Brexit Fools Day until 31/12/2020.

 

Since we can still freely trade with the EU without any kind of paperwork or restriction, EU citizens can still come here to live as long as they arrive before the end of the year, and the EU citizens can stay as long as they want.

Van Wink has a funny definition of "we've left"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Herman said:

We're getting nothing so spare us your cod philosophy.

I tried Hermy, will leave you to fester.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 19.08.44.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Its the way to make a difference, be positive, try to shape things in the way you want, whilst following the general direction your country has voted for, the alternative is you get nothing, which is not good for any of us!

Of course we're getting nothing, we've known that for a long while, factored it in and have no expectations of anything else. Whilst I'm not exactly overjoyed about how things have turned out, as I said earlier, there is a certain grim satisfaction in watching the Brexiteers squirm as their chickens come home to roost and they realise they are not going to get what they want or were promised either.

And while we're on that topic, whatever happened to the soft Brexit that you repeatedly claimed you voted for? 

Bad luck mate - but I'm sure your 'positive' approach will enable to you to rationalise the kick in the teeth you're going to receive into the advanced dental treatment that you were hoping and voted for.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Had an update today in the office today on the settlement scheme, which I hadn't been following that closely.

Is it just me, or have they announced the aggressive points scheme to deflect from 3+ million EU citizens being able to stay as long as they like?

image.png.7b187417e14941920d7a0d095624d26f.png

No it's not a deflection. Both points - allowing settlement rights for those already here and a points-based immigration system have been mooted a long time ago, long before the election.

It's a very fair policy. Those already here can continue without disturbance - and by registering we now have a clearer idea of who is actually living here. And putting EU immigrants on the same footing as non-EU immigrants corrects a situation which treated non-EU immigrants unfairly. It's a win-win all round and should be supported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Surfer said:

All hail our modern day Alexander - off to conquer the evil empire and bring British civilization and commercial dominance to the Continent and the World. I'm sure he'll speak and write well of his own actions; but history will judge if he can pull this off or if he is just full of hot air.

The Greek word and concept of "hubris" comes to mind.....

I already told you that in ten years from now we will be the world's leading nation when it comes to software technologies, in the way that we are already the financial hub for the world.

We are leading the world in research into AI and machine learning which currently is the biggest driver of software development. Two of the most important twenty-first century industries - finance and software - will be based in the UK, attracted to our open economy where the world's best technologists will be based. This is Cummings plan for the future. Don't sweat over car manufacturing and similar, that industry peaked in the last century and is now in declining importance. We are focused on the important.

Edited by Rock The Boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

 

And while we're on that topic, whatever happened to the soft Brexit that you repeatedly claimed you voted for? 

Bad luck mate - but I'm sure your 'positive' approach will enable to you to rationalise the kick in the teeth you're going to receive into the advanced dental treatment that you were hoping and voted for.😀

Doesnt look as if I'm going to get it CM, so be it, I wont be crying and whinging about it :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume you won't be affected by us crashing out with nothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I already told you that in ten years from now we will be the world's leading nation when it comes to software technologies, in the way that we are already the financial hub for the world.

Totally delusional - if you knew anything at all about IT you would know that over the last 40 years we have frequently been at the forefront of research and development into key and emerging new technologies, yet have failed not just consistently but pretty much completely at turning that initial lead into commercial success.

Having just shot our entire services industry in both feet it is stretching credulity way beyond breaking point to suggest that this is suddenly going to change. The way it will go is that the UK will continue to produce a small number of people and businesses who are genuinely interesting and innovative and they will either sell their IP on the cheap or migrate to the economies who can generate real commercial value from their work - it may be to the US, China, South Korea, India or elsewhere in the EU but it won't be the UK that reaps the benefits, for a whole bundle of reasons which are of long standing and well understood.

We are probably more fortunate than we deserve to be in that we still have a few bright sparks around but everything about the last ten years has steered us further towards a low wage, low skill economy rather than the high wage, highly skilled economy that you outline and to which we should indeed be aspiring. The current idiots in government may talk the talk but they haven't got a clue how to deliver it - in fact they don't even appear to understand what the underlying issues are so its nailed on that they don't have a clue what the solutions are. They are, like you, delusional or dishonest, or both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Totally delusional - if you knew anything at all about IT you would know that over the last 40 years we have frequently been at the forefront of research and development into key and emerging new technologies, yet have failed not just consistently but pretty much completely at turning that initial lead into commercial success.

Having just shot our entire services industry in both feet it is stretching credulity way beyond breaking point to suggest that this is suddenly going to change. The way it will go is that the UK will continue to produce a small number of people and businesses who are genuinely interesting and innovative and they will either sell their IP on the cheap or migrate to the economies who can generate real commercial value from their work - it may be to the US, China, South Korea, India or elsewhere in the EU but it won't be the UK that reaps the benefits, for a whole bundle of reasons which are of long standing and well understood.

We are probably more fortunate than we deserve to be in that we still have a few bright sparks around but everything about the last ten years has steered us further towards a low wage, low skill economy rather than the high wage, highly skilled economy that you outline and to which we should indeed be aspiring. The current idiots in government may talk the talk but they haven't got a clue how to deliver it - in fact they don't even appear to understand what the underlying issues are so its nailed on that they don't have a clue what the solutions are. They are, like you, delusional or dishonest, or both.

Just remind me where we have been for the past forty years.

And where we are now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/02/2020 at 16:46, Rock The Boat said:

Just remind me where we have been for the past forty years.

And where we are now....

Were are exactly where we have always been - at the economic heart of Europe. The Empire was a 300 year aberration. 

And over the past 40 years the UK has become much more wealthy and diversified compared to any period since 1914. 

 

Edited by Surfer
Deleted Image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Paul Golding said in a statement that he intended to “help solidify Boris Johnson‘s control on the leadership, so we can achieve Brexit and hopefully cut immigration and confront radical Islam.

“Boris referred to Muslim women wearing the burqa and niqab as letterboxes, so he is obviously a populist nationalist under the surface, like the type of patriotism as promoted by Britain First.""

Independent December 19, 2019.

 

"The leader of far-right political group Britain First has been charged with an offence under the Terrorism Act after refusing to give police access to his phone.

Paul Golding 38, was stopped at Heathrow Airport in October on his way back from a trip to the Russian parliament in Moscow by officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command."

Independent February 21, 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Britain’s new post-Brexit blue passports will be given to applicants from next month, the Home Office announced yesterday.

What it did not say, however, was that they will be made by a Franco/Dutch company at a factory in Poland, under EU procurement rules.

In one of the ironies of Brexit, the 11-year, £260 million contract was won by a subsidiary of the French multinational group Thales last year, after its British competitor De La Rue lost out."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-post-brexit-blue-passports-made-in-polish-factory-gh5jthw9h

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Herman said:

"Britain’s new post-Brexit blue passports will be given to applicants from next month, the Home Office announced yesterday.

What it did not say, however, was that they will be made by a Franco/Dutch company at a factory in Poland, under EU procurement rules.

In one of the ironies of Brexit, the 11-year, £260 million contract was won by a subsidiary of the French multinational group Thales last year, after its British competitor De La Rue lost out."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-post-brexit-blue-passports-made-in-polish-factory-gh5jthw9h

Could not the Honda plant at Swindon have been retooled to produce them?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only we had an expert on Swindon's manufacturing capabilities on this forum?!🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Herman said:

If only we had an expert on Swindon's manufacturing capabilities on this forum?!🤔

I believe he's too busy with his Instagram girlfriend and Honda CEO best mate to bother responding.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Could not the Honda plant at Swindon have been retooled to produce them?

It should come in handy as the global supply chain slowly falls apart😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It should come in handy as the global supply chain slowly falls apart😉

Why can't you be more positive like Winky?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Herman said:

Why can't you be more positive like Winky?

Prior planning and preparation prevents **** poor performance.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Just remind me where we have been for the past forty years.

And where we are now....

🤣🤣 More distraction, deflection, and a typically pathetic Brexiteer attempt to scapegoat the EU for failings which are entirely homegrown in the UK and which won't change one iota this year, next year or any time soon.

Conforms what I said originally - you don't have a clue about the IT industry's past, present or future which isn't really surprising if you continue to lap up tripe from the Torygraph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Herman said:

Britain’s new post-Brexit blue passports .... will be made by a Franco/Dutch company at a factory in Poland ...after its British competitor De La Rue lost out.

But of course; Brexit never was about putting Britain first. Just as Trump’s Make America Great Again baseball caps are made in China. 

But you can be sure the right wing press will NOT be up in arms over the award of this British government contract to foreigners - after all every patriotic citizen would willingly spend a few extra Pounds on making sure that British Passports that screams our independence to the world is made in a British factory using highly skilled British workers.  

Why won’t the Government? Resignations would be appropriate - Patel is in charge of this right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brexit: the opportunity to impose misery on as many people as possible - sounds about right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Surfer said:

But of course; Brexit never was about putting Britain first. Just as Trump’s Make America Great Again baseball caps are made in China. 

But you can be sure the right wing press will NOT be up in arms over the award of this British government contract to foreigners - after all every patriotic citizen would willingly spend a few extra Pounds on making sure that British Passports that screams our independence to the world is made in a British factory using highly skilled British workers.  

Why won’t the Government? Resignations would be appropriate - Patel is in charge of this right? 

"A passport is only worth the rights it confers. It means nothing inside ones own country. This passport is weaker than the one it replaces, symbolising the removal of our rights to move and operate freely across our own continent. It therefore represents abject political failure."

Brian Cox.

Yes it's only a passport and it shouldn't really anger people when there is more going on, but it does highlight what we have actually lost.A blue colour is just to hide the absolute failure of Brexit. The citizens have weakened their own possibilities, their offsprings future prospects and many opporunities for millions, for nothing. What a scam it really is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jools said:

How are you getting on in Ireland now the EU are asking the former to contribute much more to the EU budget? I hear that former EU golden boy, Little Leo, is regarding the terms as unacceptable...

Then there's the fact that Ireland would need emergency aid to survive 'No Deal' Brexit..

Enjoy your enormous tax hikes in your new location 😀

 

sfb

 

It’s cute how you’ve dug out my two month old post. 
 

Do you have a thing for younger men? 🥰😘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Referencing a glorious past.

A realisation that the present is becomming dodgier by the day'

Losing faith in the PR merchant they wanted in charge and the cr@p team he's assembled.

Obsession with the colour Blue

 

Brexiteers are just like the Binners. 😀

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jools said:

Nay, you're confusing me with your idol - The EU discarded wannabe big-boy drafted in by the latter to derail Brexit by vastly exaggerating the threat posed to the Good Friday Agreement...

Yesterday’s nearly-man Leo is now an absolute zero, so I'm certain he'll have more than enough time to fulfil the needs of rent boys who've recently moved to Ireland 😀

So you’re a homophobe too. Figures 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...