Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

Winston would be ashamed.

For sure, he would have had no time at all for today's little Englanders but then history has never been the Brexiteers' strong point, not even of their own country never mind the rest of the world.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

For sure, he would have had no time at all for today's little Englanders but then history has never been the Brexiteers' strong point, not even of their own country never mind the rest of the world.

Back to the failing 70s it seems to me.

26 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

It does seem that those that went through the wars would be horified at what we are doing. Those that talk like they went through the wars are joyous.

"As far as we can tell from over here you kicked against austerity by voting to leave the EU and then became so obsessed with leaving you voted for those who’d dreamed up austerity in the first place."  Joe Horgan, The Irish Post.

Well, it really has been an absolute blast here over the last 43 months. Just a few hours to go before blue birds are flying over the ‘temporary’ lorry parks of Dover and businesses trading with Northern Ireland disappear under a mountain of paperwork. Too many highlights to mention, certainly way too many lowlights, and too many possible awards to hand out. So I will stick to four.

The Boris Johnson About-Face Chutzpah Award goes to Paul Moy for spending the first couple of years claiming the EU would cave in and allow the UK to keep all its access to the single market and then spending the last year and a bit pretending that falling back on the ruinous last resort of the WTO, the polar opposite of single market access, was what he’d advocated all along.

The Well, It Seemed Like It Would be An Accurate Prediction At The Time Award goes to myself, for saying after the 2017 general election that the next, whenever it was, would be won by an anti-Tory alliance.

The You Really Should Have Been Much More Careful What You Wished For Award, in the appropriately Alice in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll must have seen Brexit coming) spirit of ‘Everybody has won and all must have prizes’, goes to each and every Leave poster.

But for the most coveted accolade one poster stands out, alone. The award for The Least Dishonest Leave Poster (bearing in mind that ‘Least Honest’ is very much a relative term and that a comparative lack of dishonesty may stem from a not very admirable innocent ignorance rather than any high morality) goes to, quite seriously, SwindonCanary.

• Like 1

I'm sure Paul will be heartbroken at this decision...😂

Express readers outraged they can't put Remainers in wicker man for Brexit Eve

DAILY Express readers have blamed political correctness gone mad for not being allowed to burn Remainers alive in a wicker man on Brexit Eve. 

Readers of the alternate-reality newspaper cannot believe they are being denied such a simple, harmless pleasure, tonight of all nights. 

Leave voter Roy Hobbs said: “I’ve been telling all the Remoaners I know to come and be burned in the large wicker man we’ve built, but they’re not having it. 

“Not content with delaying Brexit for years when we should have had it the day after, these selfish whiners are refusing to climb the ladder and nestle in beside the petrol-soaked kindling. 

“Apparently it’s ‘against the law’ and ‘murder’. Well yes, before 11pm that’s true, but after that Brexit is the only law. I wouldn’t light it until then. I’m a stickler for rules.

“We’ve got Morris dancers in to lead a procession gaily around it, a brass band and a live PA from Louise Redknapp, but as usual these sulky, inconsiderate children are ruining everyone’s fun. 

“The fire would keep us warm as the ‘snowpocalypse’ hits on Saturday, leaving Britain trapped under 20-foot drifts and causing planes to freeze in the sky. Which I read about in the Express.”

Apples

Edited by Mr Apples

10 hours ago, Herman said:

It does seem that those that went through the wars would be horified at what we are doing. Those that talk like they went through the wars are joyous.

"As far as we can tell from over here you kicked against austerity by voting to leave the EU and then became so obsessed with leaving you voted for those who’d dreamed up austerity in the first place."  Joe Horgan, The Irish Post.

I can tell you, when my Grandad was alive, he hated it that we were aliened with the rest of Europe.

16 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I can tell you, when my Grandad was alive, he hated it that we were ALIGNED with the rest of Europe.

Xenophobia runs in the family then.

I wonder what had happened if we hadn’t ALIGNED with a lot of Europe during the World Wars?

Edited by Hoola Han Solo
correcting Swindo’s pathetic attempt at spelling

6 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Xenophobia runs in the family then.

I wonder what had happened if we hadn’t ALIGNED with a lot of Europe during the World Wars?

Bloody East Europeans coming over here flying our Spitfires.........😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Reminds me of 1999 when I was called a 'little englander' by a fellow Brit when I expressed my view that we should never adopt the euro to my german boss in Hamburg.

It seems that history certainly  shows in this case that 'little englanders' are far superior in commonsense than remoaners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Boris Johnson will hold a reception in Downing Street tonight to mark the UK leaving the EU.

A No 10 spokesman says the event will begin at 21:00 GMT, with guests including cabinet ministers, advisers and civil servants, officials who were involved in the Brexit negotiations, and supporters of the 2016 Leave campaign.

On the menu will be English sparkling wine and a selection of canapes, including fillet of lamb on toast, Shropshire blue cheese, beef and Yorkshire pudding with horseradish sauce, mushroom tarts and roast chicken skewers.

Meanwhile, outside the building, a clock will illuminate No 10 with a clock counting down to the moment we leave - 23:00 - and other buildings around Whitehall will also be lit up.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Boris Johnson will hold a reception in Downing Street tonight to mark the UK leaving the EU.

A No 10 spokesman says the event will begin at 21:00 GMT, with guests including cabinet ministers, advisers and civil servants, officials who were involved in the Brexit negotiations, and supporters of the 2016 Leave campaign.

On the menu will be English sparkling wine and a selection of canapes, including fillet of lamb on toast, Shropshire blue cheese, beef and Yorkshire pudding with horseradish sauce, mushroom tarts and roast chicken skewers.

Meanwhile, outside the building, a clock will illuminate No 10 with a clock counting down to the moment we leave - 23:00 - and other buildings around Whitehall will also be lit up.

Bless 'em, they tried so hard not to have any foreign references on the menu but missed that it'll be canapes and fillet. 😀

10 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Bless 'em, they tried so hard not to have any foreign references on the menu but missed that it'll be canapes and fillet. 😀

I think that's come from abroad, but has been taken up in the English language. A bit like bungalow.  

43 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I wonder if our future Sir Nigel was invited.......

I know you guys are stupid but why would they invite a man who they know will be at another event at the same time? It would be as stupid as inviting Daniel Farke to a kids birthday party between 3 & 5 tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I think that's come from abroad, but has been taken up in the English language. A bit like bungalow.  

image.png.a40323c9f587b06ed117f49333f4b0e2.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

I'd send all the Saxons back to Saxony - and Angles too. Sorted.

Oh and the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha's too for good measure.

I'm sure all the Brexiter's know their history 😉

4 hours ago, Herman said:

See, even then they were stealing our jobs

17 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

He is indeed but at least he is celebrating - I'm astonished that the Brexiteers on here seem as angry and miserable as they've always been.

I'm really hoping they have a right good p*ss up tomorrow night because they've got months (and years) of disappointment and disillusion coming their way, starting pretty much immediately. So if they can't even enjoy this week.............................🙄

Yes, pretty strange that one. The EU has been pretty classy at the end, while the Leaver actions have largely been the reverse. They won't be disillusioned or disappointed though, everything will be someone elses fault, whether that be the EU, the Civil Service, the judges, the "establishment" or ultimately Johnson's government.

My very last ever contribution to this topic.

What a shame that these idiots  couldn't just go quietly. They won't make too much fuss as the pension hits the bank account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1