Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

27 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Yeah, right. You believe that PR then? it’s the usual hyped up phrasing hoping that the public and politicians say “wow you guys are great”

Start ups are technology incubators. You create a new process and then your investors decide what to do with it from there. So who owns them becomes the key question. The phrase “thousands” can mean as little as 2,000. a drop in the bucket in the car / van market. The phrase “at plants” means they will hold and assemble parts in more than one location. The phrase “in the UK and internationally” covers a lot of ground and could mean one plant - possibly a pilot plant - in the UK. You don’t need multiple plants to build thousand of anything except ships or aircraft. 

I am happy to take the word of the FT motor correspondent on this one.

Edited by Van wink

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Brexiters are welcome to trumpet tiny pieces of good news. But as that FT article states, the overriding picture in the motor trade is of international investment being at best delayed and at worst halted/scrapped. And the picture is the same with investment from overseas in UK business and industry generally.

There are two political truths about Brexit. The UK is leaving the world's largest single market and around 60 trade deals the EU has negotiated on our behalf around the world. By definition any trade deal the EU offers the UK has to be markedly worse in terms of our economy.

Secondly, unless that trade deal gets the UK out from under EU rules and regulations in a significant and visible way, and the more significant and visible the worse for the UK the deal will be, then Brexit voters will start to wonder what was the point.

At not much of a tangent, this from the FT's George Parker:

Only in Britain could you have a raging P1 debate about whether Big Ben should “bong” for Brexit but virtually no comment on the fact the Treasury hasn’t produced an assessment of what the @BorisJohnson proposed trade deal would mean for jobs and prosperity.

• Thanks 1

Yet you've ignored everything else they have written over the last 3 odd years?! 

Only when it’s been biased.  I think you will find they will report in a more even handed way after the departure of Barber.

23 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I feel some remainers are hoping Britain will go downhill after Brexit, just o say 'I told you so'

Not me. Personally and selfishly that wouldn't do me any favours, and I shouldn't think it would be much good for many others either

I still have a house in Kent, last thing needed is transport disruption like there has been before, so hopefully the contingency plans will work

Operation brock looks to be a better option than stack, as short term mitigation 

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Only when it’s been biased.  I think you will find they will report in a more even handed way after the departure of Barber.

That is a truly pathetic attempt to justify yourself by pretending to have inside knowledge you do not possess.

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is a truly pathetic attempt to justify yourself by pretending to have inside knowledge you do not possess.

Clearly you don’t listen to the right radio stations, if you need any tips just let me know👍

Edited by Van wink

I apologise for saying the ****wits couldn't blame remainers for anything now as they had won and were in charge. That was only yesterday.🤨

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

"Arrival is preparing to build thousands of electric vans at plants in the UK and internationally and plans to develop a new range of vehicles alongside the Korean manufacturer following the investment."

What you quote here largely from Arrival's press release doesn't contradict what I wrote. Sure Arrival is preparing to build thousands of electric vans but that doesn't mean the Koreans are supporting UK manufacturing, rather they will use the IP to produce electric vehicles in Korea not the UK. You bolden  plants in the UK but not internationally which demonstrates a partial interpretation of a piece that was already partial. The Russian owned Arrival say they will manufacture globally, not just in the UK.

All interesting stuff but to pretend that this is a significant leap for UK manufacturing is wide of the mark

26 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Clearly you don’t listen to the right radio stations, if you need any tips just let me know👍

You have done this all the way through. Quoted the FT when you think it shows Brexit in a good light (as that piece does but only in a limited by-comparison-with-all-the-bad-news kind of way. It is hardly a gushing endorsement, is it?) but  ignoring the vast preponderance of its news and comment column inches the FT has published demonstrating the stupidity of leaving the EU.

The idea that a change of editor at the FT would somehow alter its editorial stance in any serious way on the most cataclysmically dumb and economically damaging decision taken by the British people is nonsense. The FT will argue for making the best of a bad job - it already has under Barber's editorship - but that is just practical commonsense.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BigFish said:

All interesting stuff but to pretend that this is a significant leap for UK manufacturing is wide of the mark

Not pretending anything, just pointing out there are some positive stories out there too. It’s not a popular thing to do when most posters prefer to drown in misery. 

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I’ll post up the positive stories for you, as they come along. 

No need. I have a subscription to the FT, which is why I know what I’m talking about when it comes to that paper’s coverage and why I know when someone is talking nonsense. I would give this lost cause up if I were you. Friendly advice. Well, reasonably friendly anyway...

I am still amused by the arguments on here.

The future of all these large businesses is being decided in board rooms in Japan, Europe, India and the USA usually by non-British directors. They don't care one jot for Johnson's 'stirring' or Brexity jingo words to the local Brexity Brits - that's just local small scale politics (the mushroom treatment - keep them in the dark and pour on BS).

All that matters is the the bottom line and what makes commercial sense. The die is now cast. The consequences are no longer in your hands.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No need. I have a subscription to the FT, which is why I know what I’m talking about when it comes to that paper’s coverage and why I know when someone is talking nonsense. I would give this lost cause up if I were you. Friendly advice. Well, reasonably friendly anyway...

I think you will be surprised, you clearly missed the interview

21 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Not pretending anything, just pointing out there are some positive stories out there too. It’s not a popular thing to do when most posters prefer to drown in misery. 

The UK economy is in dire straits and a few "positive stories" are not going to change that. Brexit will inevitably make the situation worse in the short term and the Brexiteers should own that. That is not drowning in misery, that is realism and the UK will only progress if the government acknowledges the situation as it is, rather than what they would like it to be. The mistake you make is to confuse business stories with economic stories. The Arrival story was insignificant even after it was inflated for PR purposes. Ecomomists operate at levels of aggregate demand in terms of billions. Here are a few realistic stories of the situation the UK is in.

image.png.d8b9c01c97d8191c5878d9c9dc548f89.png

image.png.d54eb8dfa5e36ad5b0c74b7974d8d61f.png

image.thumb.png.81c142f45b182903d842df50851734cc.png

image.png.b37f0e86374432b2303ab7848a5fd7b1.png

27 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The UK economy is in dire straits and a few "positive stories" are not going to change that. Brexit will inevitably make the situation worse in the short term and the Brexiteers should own that. That is not drowning in misery, that is realism and the UK will only progress if the government acknowledges the situation as it is, rather than what they would like it to be. The mistake you make is to confuse business stories with economic stories. The Arrival story was insignificant even after it was inflated for PR purposes. Ecomomists operate at levels of aggregate demand in terms of billions. Here are a few realistic stories of the situation the UK is in.

image.png.d8b9c01c97d8191c5878d9c9dc548f89.png

image.png.d54eb8dfa5e36ad5b0c74b7974d8d61f.png

image.thumb.png.81c142f45b182903d842df50851734cc.png

image.png.b37f0e86374432b2303ab7848a5fd7b1.png

Do you have anything post election......this sort of thing?

Valentina Romei in London

Activity in the UK service sector improved at the end of 2019, boosted by a decisive general election result that raised business optimism, according to a closely watched survey. The IHS Markit/CIPS UK purchasing managers’ index for services rose to 50 in December from 49.3 in November. Any reading above 50 indicates a majority of companies reported an increase in activity. The final reading is up one point from the 49 of the flash estimate which reported responses collected before the general election, when delayed spending decisions weighed on new orders, according to the report. “The decisive result of the general election appears to have given the services PMI a bit of a boost,” said Thomas Pugh, economist at the consultancy Capital Economics. When including the post-election responses, business expectations rose to 66.3, up from 62.9 in November and the highest reading since September 2018, while new orders, at 51.2, recorded its highest reading since July.

Edited by Van wink

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I am expecting pound, dollar, euro parity before pancake day.😀😉

Its worse than that!!

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I feel some remainers are hoping Britain will go downhill after Brexit, just so they say 'I told you so'

Swindo, you couldn’t care less what happens to the UK after Brexit, now you have your precious “win”.

As long as you get your little Englander jingoistic victory, you’re happy. And of course it’ll be nice for you if less foreigners are here 😀👍🏻

• Confused 1

"New poll puts Long-Bailey ahead of Starmer

Rebecca Long-Bailey is leading the race to be the next Labour leader, a new poll has suggested.

The shadow business secretary appears to have clawed back ground on Sir Keir Starmer, after the first poll of Labour members put him narrowly ahead."

It would be laughable if not so predictably tragic!

1 hour ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Swindo, you couldn’t care less what happens to the UK after Brexit, now you have your precious “win”.

As long as you get your little Englander jingoistic victory, you’re happy. And of course it’ll be nice for you if less foreigners are here 😀👍🏻

69Ey3WW.jpg Or should that be?8NqCFQj.jpg

Edited by SHRIMPER
Cos hes a fvckwit
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

There are people on here that just like throwing insults (Like BIG Kids) 

No there are plenty on here who like calling out RACISTS, BIGOTS, LIARS, and FVCKWIT VAGINAS. In your case you fill all four categories. Are you ok with that Peter the Deleter?

Edited by SHRIMPER

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Even more rain. Thanks Brexit. 

Yep, didn't realise that the Withdrawal Agreement also meant the ending of the EU weather quotas but it seems that we have taken back control of the great British wind and rain, but of course we've lost EU27 sunshine quota in the process. Damn fine negotiator that Boris the liar.

Still he may have got us a really cr@p deal but at least he's delivered one part of it a fortnight early   😁

• Haha 1