Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Sat 13 Apr 2024 14.39 BST Observer

Ministers’ decision to impose Brexit import checks on 30 April will lead to shortages of some foods, flowers and herbs, industry leaders have warned.

In the week after the government was accused of blindsiding the British food industry by giving 27 days’ notice that every consignment of items such as camembert, steak, tulips and chives would be subject to fees of up to £145, small retailers such as delis and farm shops have been scrambling to make sure they still have products to sell.

But they say some EU exporters have already decided that they have had enough of British red tape and are either pausing supply operations or have given up completely.

Food wholesalers and trade associations have told the Observer of suppliers in EU countries who are already looking at other markets instead of the UK. Since 2020, importers have had to deal with mounting levels of Brexit bureaucracy, including phytosanitary certificates, plant passports, import licences and export health certificates.

Next month, they will have another form to fill out for animal products, plants and herbs and must pay a “common user charge” (CUC) of up to £145 per consignment

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, sonyc said:
Sat 13 Apr 2024 14.39 BST Observer

Ministers’ decision to impose Brexit import checks on 30 April will lead to shortages of some foods, flowers and herbs, industry leaders have warned.

In the week after the government was accused of blindsiding the British food industry by giving 27 days’ notice that every consignment of items such as camembert, steak, tulips and chives would be subject to fees of up to £145, small retailers such as delis and farm shops have been scrambling to make sure they still have products to sell.

But they say some EU exporters have already decided that they have had enough of British red tape and are either pausing supply operations or have given up completely.

Food wholesalers and trade associations have told the Observer of suppliers in EU countries who are already looking at other markets instead of the UK. Since 2020, importers have had to deal with mounting levels of Brexit bureaucracy, including phytosanitary certificates, plant passports, import licences and export health certificates.

Next month, they will have another form to fill out for animal products, plants and herbs and must pay a “common user charge” (CUC) of up to £145 per consignment

All of those giving amount to EU the EU's export figures falling and add leverage to get the EU to the table to talk sensibly about closer trade relations. It's the right thing to do. Just leaving everything open to EU trade while they have operated all rules to the letter from day one can't really fly.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1

Interesting - Perhaps the upper age should increase yearly like the smoking ban... Then the 30 year olds will never have a problem 🙂

Commission proposes Brexit deal for 18 to 30 year olds

Lisa O'Carroll

The European Commission has proposed opening negotiations with the UK to allow free movement enjoyed before Brexit to millions of 18 to 30 year olds in a major post Brexit concession.

It said it will now seek approval from individual EU leaders to start the talks which will see one of the most controversial elements of Brexit, a block on the right to live in each others countries visa free, partially eliminated.

Under the envisaged agreement, both EU and UK citizens aged between 18 to 30 years would be able to stay for up to 4 years in the destination country, the European Commission said in a detailed statement.

“The objective would be to facilitate youth exchanges, making it easier for young EU citizens to travel, work and live in the UK, with reciprocity for young UK nationals in a member state,” the Commission said.

• Like 2

On 18/04/2024 at 14:49, Yellow Fever said:

Interesting - Perhaps the upper age should increase yearly like the smoking ban... Then the 30 year olds will never have a problem 🙂

Commission proposes Brexit deal for 18 to 30 year olds

Lisa O'Carroll

The European Commission has proposed opening negotiations with the UK to allow free movement enjoyed before Brexit to millions of 18 to 30 year olds in a major post Brexit concession.

It said it will now seek approval from individual EU leaders to start the talks which will see one of the most controversial elements of Brexit, a block on the right to live in each others countries visa free, partially eliminated.

Under the envisaged agreement, both EU and UK citizens aged between 18 to 30 years would be able to stay for up to 4 years in the destination country, the European Commission said in a detailed statement.

“The objective would be to facilitate youth exchanges, making it easier for young EU citizens to travel, work and live in the UK, with reciprocity for young UK nationals in a member state,” the Commission said.

A good idea 

Not going to happen, though 

• Sad 1

I see Sunak has brushed off the 18 - 30 idea. I guess he's following on from the smoking ban. A snub to the young.

As the young get older year by year they will now be even more unlikely to vote Tory....It's a suicide note in reality!

• Like 1

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

I see Sunak has brushed off the 18 - 30 idea. I guess he's following on from the smoking ban. A snub to the young.

As the young get older year by year they will now be even more unlikely to vote Tory....It's a suicide note in reality!

Something for the LibDems to run with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'm not opposed to some sort of deal in this area. 

The terms reported: four years, no NHS deposit and subsidised university are non-starters but something along less generous terms could work all around. Language skills mean that this will be a lop sided deal but both sides qould benefit I suspect so why not

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

I'm not opposed to some sort of deal in this area. 

The terms reported: four years, no NHS deposit and subsidised university are non-starters but something along less generous terms could work all around. Language skills mean that this will be a lop sided deal but both sides qould benefit I suspect so why not

Yes. It's the simple dismissal of the idea that is so wrong as opposed to exploring it. The politics of the old and sadly spiteful.

24 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes. It's the simple dismissal of the idea that is so wrong as opposed to exploring it. The politics of the old and sadly spiteful.

It's the way it is I'm afraid.  

According to the BBC it was our government that initiated this with individual states- the EU didn't like that and took over.

Perhaps with both sides having made their point there is now room for sensible discussions?

• Like 1

David Davies et al learned at the very beginning of this debacle that members of the EU don't do individual deals. Why were they still attempting to?

2 hours ago, Herman said:

David Davies et al learned at the very beginning of this debacle that members of the EU don't do individual deals. Why were they still attempting to?

I guess that sometimes things are worth a try even if you think they will likely mot work?  Or maybe sounding out an idea on a smaller basis and without the baggage ?

4 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

It's the way it is I'm afraid.  

According to the BBC it was our government that initiated this with individual states- the EU didn't like that and took over.

Perhaps with both sides having made their point there is now room for sensible discussions?

Absolutely. Things have definitely thawed a lot.