Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Yep Swindle you told us the British needed the jobs ‘ British jobs for British workers ‘ you and Farage cried. 
But you lied, the British don’t want said jobs. Consequently we threw out the European workers and are replacing them with twice as many from Asia, Africa and the America’s, I have no problem with that but ask the question, what was the point of kicking out our European friends that were doing a great job.
Personally at the end of my NHS contract I would happily have gone into the care sector, but you have destroyed that and unlike our European friends I am not happy to work for £9.49 an hour reduced to £8.00 once you take into account your pension payment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Slowly turning Swindo into a Labour voter. 

Yes - I think Labour has been saying that for many decades. Not quite sure what it has directly to do with Brexit since we have a huge labour shortage for jobs that it appears no Brexit Brits want to do.

I suppose AI and robots will help  - just seen WBB comment arrive above which I guess say much the same so I'll stop here.

• Like 2

On the subject of immigration - 

I was just recalling those 80M Turks that were going to arrive if we stayed inthe EU.

I guess in the same vein now that we are discussing a deal with India (with easier immigration) there will be 1.4Bn Indians coming.

I wonder how Swindo's Hindi or Bengali is ?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - I think Labour has been saying that for many decades. Not quite sure what it has directly to do with Brexit since we have a huge labour shortage for jobs that it appears no Brexit Brits want to do.

I suppose AI and robots will help  - just seen WBB comment arrive above which I guess say much the same so I'll stop here.

Unsurprisingly the speech was a bit more nuanced than the headline. The headline will play well in the brexitty, red wall areas and from what I have heard, I think the Lexiters would be happier. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

On the subject of immigration - 

I was just recalling those 80M Turks that were going to arrive if we stayed inthe EU.

I guess in the same vein now that we are discussing a deal with India (with easier immigration) there will be 1.4Bn Indians coming.

I wonder how Swindo's Hindi or Bengali is ?

Not sure about his Hindi or Bengali but do remember his grasp of gobbledygook being first-class.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Well b back said:

Yep Swindle you told us the British needed the jobs ‘ British jobs for British workers ‘ you and Farage cried. 
But you lied, the British don’t want said jobs. Consequently we threw out the European workers and are replacing them with twice as many from Asia, Africa and the America’s, I have no problem with that but ask the question, what was the point of kicking out our European friends that were doing a great job.
Personally at the end of my NHS contract I would happily have gone into the care sector, but you have destroyed that and unlike our European friends I am not happy to work for £9.49 an hour reduced to £8.00 once you take into account your pension payment.

I don't blame you for not wanting to work for that. It's crap money that offers no standard of living in the UK.

At the same time, you've successfully pointed out how the economics of the care sector has been dependent on wages way below what most Brits, including yourself, think is fair. Now it's confronted with being forced to pay fair wages for a decent standard of living in the UK and it's falling to bits. What are we saying here? We're alright with foreigners if they're entering the UK to be skivvies? Not exactly an inspiring message.

Additionally, would we be hearing these messages from Labour about tackling underlying problems that were there, but nobody was interested in tackling, if the cracks were still papered over by cheaper labour from the continent? Maybe Labour's change in priorities is a positive consequence of Brexit; maybe they'll even come up with some good answers.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

There is one Brexit benefit coming about. I found one! (Clipped from today's iNews).

And taking things in all together it fits really nicely. It makes sense. 100%😂

IMG_20221123_102256.jpg

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't blame you for not wanting to work for that. It's crap money that offers no standard of living in the UK.

At the same time, you've successfully pointed out how the economics of the care sector has been dependent on wages way below what most Brits, including yourself, think is fair. Now it's confronted with being forced to pay fair wages for a decent standard of living in the UK and it's falling to bits. What are we saying here? We're alright with foreigners if they're entering the UK to be skivvies? Not exactly an inspiring message.

Additionally, would we be hearing these messages from Labour about tackling underlying problems that were there, but nobody was interested in tackling, if the cracks were still papered over by cheaper labour from the continent? Maybe Labour's change in priorities is a positive consequence of Brexit; maybe they'll even come up with some good answers.

You and many others are missing the underlying point 

There isn't enough labour to do all the jobs - we already have huge shortage - Amazon stealing care or hospitality workers etc. Paying more wont increase the numbers but just add to costs (nurses / care workers deserving however).

Options are to pay more and steal them back by paying much more - and in the case of hospitality workers or care homes go bust if you can't pass the costs on (that's generally much more council tax for care homes).

You just can't buck the economics or physical limits. There is no 'free' lunch.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

But that contradicts the Farage, Johnson and my MP’s lie. They were quite specific Europeans are taking our jobs and stopping British citizens working. Clearly however it was complete tosh and it seems we are now going to replace those Europeans with people from Asia, Africa and the America’s. British citizens were never going to do those jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

But that contradicts the Farage, Johnson and my MP’s lie. They were quite specific Europeans are taking our jobs and stopping British citizens working. Clearly however it was complete tosh and it seems we are now going to replace those Europeans with people from Asia, Africa and the America’s. British citizens were never going to do those jobs.

It's exactly the point. An ageing demographic (is it 12 million pensioners now ?) means we need immigration. It really isn't rocket science.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

I see that the brexitty taking back control of our borders is going well.

It seems that they are as inept at this as they are at everything else.

All the ones we want left or aren't coming in the required numbers (nurses, care, hospitality, agriculture) it seems and these 504,000 presumably aren't ones we do need - or is our labour predicament much, much, worse than even I suspect.

Another policy failure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Logans Run?

Reminds me, I was looking at The Unit, by Ninni Holmqvist.

Edited by TheGunnShow
Typo.

7 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can't see the retirement age staying where it is. That's bound to go up again soon.

Yup - 75 and back to work for all our Brexity pensioners. Those crops don't pick themselves.

10 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yup - 75 and back to work for all our Brexity pensioners. Those crops don't pick themselves.

Do we have any salt mines? would seem appropriate work for anyone who voted Brexit.

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Do we have any salt mines? would seem appropriate work for anyone who voted Brexit.

I ain’t going down any salt mines

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I ain’t going down any salt mines

Those who repent can stay above ground and hoe beet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

It seems that they are as inept at this as they are at everything else.

All the ones we want left or aren't coming in the required numbers (nurses, care, hospitality, agriculture) it seems and these 504,000 presumably aren't ones we do need - or is our labour predicament much, much, worse than even I suspect.

Another policy failure.

So 504,000 taking the British jobs, I say again clearly you lied Farage and Johnson, the Brits don’t want those f****** jobs

7 minutes ago, Well b back said:

So 504,000 taking the British jobs, I say again clearly you lied Farage and Johnson, the Brits don’t want those f****** jobs

I am yet to be convinced Farage works. He can talk about jobs all helikes but I can see no evidence of him working.

And Johnson is always on holiday.

The utter failure and calamity that is Brexit is no better illustrated than by this story:

Rishi Sunak news - live: PM mulls limiting foreign students amid backlash over migration jump https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/rishi-sunak-news-live-pm-mulls-limiting-foreign-students-amid-backlash-over-migration-jump/ar-AA14wSyQ

Sadly, it's a simple truth that for many of those that voted for Brexit it was the prospect of keeping "bloody foreigners" from our shores that swayed their vote. Some of them may even have been happy to accept the massive hit to the economy Brexit has caused if it meant we kept those "invaders" out of the country. Thus, it must come as a shock that Brexit appears to have had precisely the opposite effect and will continue to do so.

The pi*ss-poor trade deal with Australia provides a good example of why this is inevitable. Not only did it require us to open our market to imports of sub-standard food, threatening the future of UK farming, but also required our agreement to increased immigration rights for Australian people. Modi has already made clear that any trade deal with India will be entirely conditional upon a massive increase in the rights of Indian people to migrate to the UK. The simple truth is that the self-imposed isolation from a powerful trading bloc (the single market) has left the UK in a devastatingly weak negotiating position and unable to resist acquiescence to such demands.

Thus, we find Sunak desperately flailing around for some artificial way to reduce the (post-Brexit) record levels of immigration. It seems all he can think of is a suicidal plan to limit the numbers of foreign students. Anyone familiar with the university sector will know full well that it is the very high fees paid by foreign students that keep many universities financially viable. So, either home students will have to pay massively increased fees, or a number of universities will simply go bust (many are already seriously in debt and will be tipped into administration by a ban on foreign student income).

So far Brexit has been nothing more than a series of self-harming slashes to the vital arteries of the nation's livelihood: fishing, farming, exports, SMEs, etc. have all suffered from dreadful blows. It seems universities are to be added to that list in a pathetic attempt by Sunak to disguise Brexit's failure to deliver on the main promise to its supporters. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am yet to be convinced Farage works. He can talk about jobs all helikes but I can see no evidence of him working.

Have you not seen the adverts?

1321890011_Webcapture_25-11-2022_101850_www_msn_com.jpeg.c00f1d03105d632750dd7aa103e0ca76.jpeg

Nige is nobly offering to free you from the financial burden of a bank account.

Edited by horsefly

24 minutes ago, horsefly said:

1321890011_Webcapture_25-11-2022_101850_www_msn_com.jpeg.c00f1d03105d632750dd7aa103e0ca76.jpeg

Brexit is certainly liberating many from their money.

We still appear to be exporting an awful lot of electricity to the continent today and have been for several months now.

Apparently lots of French Nuclear power plants (17) are still shut down for maintenance and safety reasons.

Bit of a worry considering EDF are building our new plants.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

https://www.mypoweruk.com/news/the-uk-now-finds-itself-exporting-electricity-to-france/

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

I see Farage and I hear about the egg shortage and they're not linked. For shame. 

• Haha 1