Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

On 25/07/2022 at 16:32, Yellow Fever said:

Saw this article - might help explain the issues and why it could get much worse next year at Dover/Folkestone (the automatic ID checks - yes you'll all have to get out of the car/van/coach and be like at airports).

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/25/kent-travel-chaos-fix-brexit-blame-dover-folkestone

A major point of the biometric process, other than being more secure, is automation and self-service with a view to speeding processes up. 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-launch-biometric-entry-exit-system-in-a-few-months/

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

11 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The point of the biometric process is automation and self-service with a view to speeding processes up. 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-launch-biometric-entry-exit-system-in-a-few-months/

In full respect of fundamental rights and data protection, the system will register the person’s name, type of travel document, biometric data (fingerprints and captures facial images), as well as the date and place of entry and exit. In addition, the system will also record entry refusals.

The data will be gathered at land crossings, seaports, and air and then will be shared with the relevant government agencies.

Can't see some people being happy with the EU holding their fingerprints.

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Like 1

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

In full respect of fundamental rights and data protection, the system will register the person’s name, type of travel document, biometric data (fingerprints and captures facial images), as well as the date and place of entry and exit. In addition, the system will also record entry refusals.

The data will be gathered at land crossings, seaports, and air and then will be shared with the relevant government agencies.

Can't see some people being happy with the EU holding their fingerprints.

If you enter a foreign country, you respect their terms of entry. Don't like it, don't go. 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If you enter a foreign country, you respect their terms of entry. Don't like it, don't go. 

I think you'll find that 17.4m people voted to take back control & that includes fingerprints.

What's next an EU DNA database that the Germans can exploit by tailoring a virus to alter British values. What was the point of WWII?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I think you'll find that 17.4m people voted to take back control & that includes fingerprints.

What's next an EU DNA database that the Germans can exploit by tailoring a virus to alter British values. What was the point of WWII?

There is nothing unusual in taking fingerprints at borders - USA has been doing it for years, Canada, Japan & China too if I recall. The EU will actually be late to the party for most 1st world countries. 

• Like 1

Oh dear! The Tories favourite mayor obviously hasn't read Rees-Bogg's Brexit benefits list::

Brexit bad for business, says Tory mayor

Brexit is bad for business, the Conservative mayor for the West Midlands has said.

Speaking on Radio 4’s PM programme, Andy Street told presenter Evan Davis that there had been “some consequences” on business in his region as a result of Brexit.

Mr Street said:  “Business is telling me that there are some consequences and if you look at this region, our deterioration in the export performance is definitely partly to do with that [Brexit].

“Partly it’s to do with global supply chains as well, but I’m not being naive about that, that’s what I hear from businesses day after day.”

He went on to say that more support was needed to help exporters: “We do have to deal with the whole issue of how easy it is to export, that’s paper work, the physical movement… it’s also the support for business to export so that is definitely an issue.”

Just for balance here is the Boggster stating his case, citing the glorious triumph that a 2% increase on fish fingers could be avoided because of our Brexit freedom:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Oh dear! The Tories favourite mayor obviously hasn't read Rees-Bogg's Brexit benefits list::

Brexit bad for business, says Tory mayor

Brexit is bad for business, the Conservative mayor for the West Midlands has said.

Speaking on Radio 4’s PM programme, Andy Street told presenter Evan Davis that there had been “some consequences” on business in his region as a result of Brexit.

Mr Street said:  “Business is telling me that there are some consequences and if you look at this region, our deterioration in the export performance is definitely partly to do with that [Brexit].

“Partly it’s to do with global supply chains as well, but I’m not being naive about that, that’s what I hear from businesses day after day.”

He went on to say that more support was needed to help exporters: “We do have to deal with the whole issue of how easy it is to export, that’s paper work, the physical movement… it’s also the support for business to export so that is definitely an issue.”

Arh - the TRUTH be out.

32 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Nothing positive about this Brexit story. This is what taking control of our borders really means, so yet more lies from the original lot of Johnson, Farage etc and now Truss and Mogg who reckon it’s going amazing.

https://news.sky.com/story/every-barrier-in-the-world-went-up-overnight-music-festivals-call-for-help-with-brexit-issues-12658850

Whatever happenend to the Festival of Brexit?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Well b back said:

Nothing positive about this Brexit story. This is what taking control of our borders really means, so yet more lies from the original lot of Johnson, Farage etc and now Truss and Mogg who reckon it’s going amazing.

https://news.sky.com/story/every-barrier-in-the-world-went-up-overnight-music-festivals-call-for-help-with-brexit-issues-12658850

The music industry is simply a high profile easily understood example of the 'carnet' problem for many British industries - indeed many of them we wish to grow and prosper. Obvious much more fiscally important examples are any company that wants to exhibit at say exhibitions or demonstrations (fashion, technology) and so on to potential European customers. Its now much more expensive and awkward - no shoving it a a van or car and without much more adieu (at worse a company commercial invoice for records) going anywhere in the SM.

Much simpler to just relocate - as many do - we are no longer the European 'hub' but just an outlier.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

A few posters will know that I trust the writings of John Harris probably above most others. Whilst he tends to write a lot about lived experiences in the UK this is his take on Brexit this morning.

It's a long piece. But maybe all of us will be able to pinpoint which of the 10 points we are affected by, or by the most.

I'm guessing that Brexiters will not wish to read it but I felt it was a decent summary for those that follow or have a continuing interest in the matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/03/spiralling-inflation-crops-left-in-the-field-and-travel-chaos-10-reasons-brexit-has-been-disastrous-for-britain?

• Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, sonyc said:

A few posters will know that I trust the writings of John Harris probably above most others. Whilst he tends to write a lot about lived experiences in the UK this is his take on Brexit this morning.

It's a long piece. But maybe all of us will be able to pinpoint which of the 10 points we are affected by, or by the most.

I'm guessing that Brexiters will not wish to read it but I felt it was a decent summary for those that follow or have a continuing interest in the matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/03/spiralling-inflation-crops-left-in-the-field-and-travel-chaos-10-reasons-brexit-has-been-disastrous-for-britain?

Good article. No positives to be taken from that ☹️

12 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Good article. No positives to be taken from that ☹️

Indeed. It's a sad picture really.

I think the thread title has always been an ironic one anyway.

Folk I know used to talk a lot about the EU and Brexit around 2016 ...right up to the time we actually left. Yet now, it's like it never happened. "Done...get over it" sort of attitude. I think now that my feeling about it was far stronger and deeper than their outrage at "protecting our borders". I don't especially want borders for much at all.

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Folk I know used to talk a lot about the EU and Brexit around 2016 ...right up to the time we actually left. Yet now, it's like it never happened. "Done...get over it" sort of attitude. I think now that my feeling about it was far stronger and deeper than their outrage at "protecting our borders". I don't especially want borders for much at all.

Yes the mythical benefits of Brexit have turned out to be illusionary - whereas the very real benefits of being in the SM/CU/EU have turned out to be very real.

It's inevitable that we will now start to move closer to the EU. Reality bites.

Edited by Yellow Fever

I think of Brexit as one of those disposable barbeques. On the box were pictures of juicy steaks, sizzling sausages, and spicy wings. I get it home, light it up, set fire to my lawn, and burn my house down. I really wish I had renewed my home insurance. Now I'm left with a plot of smouldering land devoid of the house that secured my financial wellbeing and provided me with security and comfort. Oh well! I suppose I do still own the plot of land. Not worth anywhere near what it once was, and God knows where I'm going to find the cash to rebuild my home to match its former glory. But that's where I find myself, and all I can do is face up to the new reality. God how I wish I had not been seduced by that packaging.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

I took a straw poll up the Golf Course (no not a Polish Scarecrow).

Virtually all who voted leave would vote different because they admit they either didn't listen, didn't want to listen or just plain were lied to. They still had criticisms of the EU but felt  things could have been handled differently and better.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I took a straw poll up the Golf Course (no not a Polish Scarecrow).

Virtually all who voted leave would vote different because they admit they either didn't listen, didn't want to listen or just plain were lied to. They still had criticisms of the EU but felt  things could have been handled differently and better.

That's good KG. The first step of solving any problem is admitting you have a problem. It's happening a little quicker than I originally thought it would (ten years). Some of course, like the present incumbents, are now so fully invested in Brexit they can't possibly admit they were wrong (although Truss 'pay' policy was perhaps being more honest than she thought if she'd had said we should now pay all those Brexity people up north less than those down south for the same job - global, nimble, market forces at play as they signed up too 😉 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Rees Smug thinks he can get away with lying and obfuscating because his monotonous tone and condescending attitude means nobody listens. His latest is that the constitution is flexible. Of course it is. Unlike other countries, very little is written down in a formal document so it is open to interpretation.

He still maintains Brexit is working and any obstacles are caused by the French. Agincourt must be his favourite historical period.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Rees Smug thinks he can get away with lying and obfuscating because his monotonous tone and condescending attitude means nobody listens. His latest is that the constitution is flexible. Of course it is. Unlike other countries, very little is written down in a formal document so it is open to interpretation.

He still maintains Brexit is working and any obstacles are caused by the French. Agincourt must be his favourite historical period.

There was an older gentleman behind me in hospital last week and he was discussing the queues at Dover with his son. He blamed the French and said they have never forgiven us for Agincourt, Waterloo and Trafalgar. Sometimes I feel like giving up!!!

• Haha 1

Don't worry its all over for most of us anyway if Peter Zeihan is right.😉

Bad for all, but really really bad for some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Don't worry its all over for most of us anyway if Peter Zeihan is right.😉

Bad for all, but really really bad for some.

It's all so similar to the start of World War 1. 

20 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

This is just an obvious consequence though, and they appear to be dealing with it in a sensible way that's actually going to finish up with the UK industry being stakeholders in the processing facilities. 

14 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

This is just an obvious consequence though, and they appear to be dealing with it in a sensible way that's actually going to finish up with the UK industry being stakeholders in the processing facilities. 

An exercise in turd-polishing. None of this was necessary!!

• Like 1