Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

30 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Who do you think publishes Euronews?

About us

We are Europe’s leading international news channel

We are Europe’s leading international news channel, providing global, multilingual news with a European perspective to over 440 million homes in 160 countries.

With 12 cross-platform language editions, including 9 distinct TV editions, we strive to provide our viewers and readers with a variety of viewpoints while remaining grounded in factual reporting.

Euronews at a glance

145M

People reach every month

68%

TV households reached in Europe

21M+

Followers across all social media platforms

Nationalities represented in our newsroom

Different languages

Offices around the world

Sources: Global Web Index – Q1 2021, Emplifi – SEPT. 2021

We believe All Views matter

At Euronews, our mission is to provide unfiltered, unbiased, fact-based journalism that empowers rather than unsettles. Unapologetically impartial, we believe all views matter, and we actively resist the temptation to bait clicks or views through bias, outrage, or sensationalism.

By staying true to facts but giving voice to many opinions, we provide our audiences with the resources they need to make up their own mind—or perhaps even change it. By focusing on facts, ideas, and solutions, our journalists cultivate clarity, empathy, and integrity.

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

They're solely the result of some on one side of the peace agreement objecting to the NI agreement in its current form; for a peace agreement to hold both sides need to be okay with it and not just one. 

10 hours ago, RobJames said:

Brexit is already being rolled back. Much is too damaging to be implemented. Johnsons replacement will be from the moderate side of the party. Confrontation will be also be replaced by cooperation. The cost of living will be the main issue facing voters. It will come quicker than may be thought.

What has been rolled back? 

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

They're solely the result of some on one side of the peace agreement objecting to the NI agreement in its current form; for a peace agreement to hold both sides need to be okay with it and not just one. 

The side that cheered for it and enabled it in a poorly calculated power grab. You can probably understand why a lot of us have no sympathy for them.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Such a short lived problem driven on by the MSM deliberately leaking a meeting report, causing everyone to panic buy.

Makes that German TV “Opinion piece” taking the pi** even more laughable now.

The MSM are the root of so many of our national problems and they proved it there.

57 minutes ago, Herman said:

Patriotic English Freedom Fighters. 

that's wrong as you want to join with the EU there's nothing free about it  =TRY AGAIN 

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

that's wrong as you want to join with the EU there's nothing free about it  =TRY AGAIN 

Actually, as individuals we had more freedom as part of the EU than out. I had the classic four freedoms as enshrined in the treaties but I also had a basic set of rights that couldn't just be changed at the whim of Pritti Patel if she could whip Tory MPs behind her.

Parliamentary sovereignty as envisaged by the Brexiter element may well represent more freedom for the UK parliament but for the individual Brit it represents less. 

Edited by 1902
  • Like 3

You still don't get it. You can be proud of your country and also like being part of something bigger, which is of massive benefit to your country. Wanting to be on your own doesn't automatically make you patriotic, quite the opposite in the case of some. Doing what you think is in the best interests of your country, which involves some compromises, is a far healthier form of patriotism. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

You still don't get it. You can be proud of your country and also like being part of something bigger, which is of massive benefit to your country. Wanting to be on your own doesn't automatically make you patriotic, quite the opposite in the case of some. Doing what you think is in the best interests of your country, which involves some compromises, is a far healthier form of patriotism. 

Unfortunately Herman it's the trap of our current society. People not supporting Brexit for a multitude of reasons is difficult for those who truly believe in it. It's difficult to envisage that someone can have such a profoundly different perspective and at the same time share things in common with you. The easiest way is to then just brush them off as 'not patriots', it's convenient and it gives you a reason to dislike them without having to seriously analyse the argument.

Remainers do it to, but they just drop into the 'racist' or 'stupid' tropes instead. People on both sides, probably including me, have done this out of frustration at times.

It's the same argument you are now seeing with COVID. Two really reasonable positions of pro or anti lockdown, both citing potential harm to others, but instead reduced to pathetic name calling and the caricaturing of people as in some way uncaring for being on the other side of the fence.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Even the Leavers like me now realising we voted leave on lies, so do you think it’s best to be patriotic like most are or liars that lied and have destroyed our country. As time goes on the more people are discovering the lying clown must go. As each week passes the more people ( as shown in the poll below ) want to reverse Brexit, get rid of Johnson and have Farage exiled.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/25/one-year-on-most-voters-say-brexit-has-gone-badly

37 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Even the Leavers like me now realising we voted leave on lies, so do you think it’s best to be patriotic like most are or liars that lied and have destroyed our country. As time goes on the more people are discovering the lying clown must go. As each week passes the more people ( as shown in the poll below ) want to reverse Brexit, get rid of Johnson and have Farage exiled.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/25/one-year-on-most-voters-say-brexit-has-gone-badly

It would be fun (tongue in cheek) if we could have a policy of one hard working useful immigrant in and one non-useful waste of space out (i.e. Farage). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It would be fun (tongue in cheek) if we could have a policy of one hard working useful immigrant in and one non-useful waste of space out (i.e. Farage). 

Would be a start to strip him of his EU pension and make him pay back the fraudulent expenses he stole from the EU.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Do you not understand what membership is? If I join eBay , I pay fees but I have access to a huge marketplace. I accept these fees as I am now in an advantageous position. If I leave eBay, I have to try and find trade on my own. I may be successful but it’ll be a lot more difficult. So maybe I should just pay the fees.

Now apply this analogy to the UK and the EU and actually try and engage your brain for once.

Your idea that the UK paid EU membership fees yet received no benefits is utter tosh.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 1902 said:

It's difficult to envisage that someone can have such a profoundly different perspective and at the same time share things in common with you. The easiest way is to then just brush them off as 'not patriots', it's convenient and it gives you a reason to dislike them without having to seriously analyse the argument.

Remainers do it to, but they just drop into the 'racist' or 'stupid' tropes instead. People on both sides, probably including me, have done this out of frustration at times

I agree with all of that. It is easy to label and make assumptions. Brexiters are not homogeneous. I'm also guilty. That said, it's a big challenge on this thread to actually have a debate with one or two (one who acts like a ten year old in fact). And it doesn't do much to reduce the quality of your own argument at times. When I was about 6 or 7 years old I probably thought like this:

IMG_20211226_182023.jpg

But now I'm an adult I've moved on and I see the world being inhabited by just people, people I would rather understand, to work alongside, to know how they see the world, to explore new ideas with... and I believe that the UK (as my country) ought to be part of it. Especially, given our colonial past! I don't understand the reductionism of the Brexiter though. It is a view that is part of a distant past. It is not a vision for good. Only can be about conflict, about duality.

Edited by sonyc

The UK becomes more isolated. As EU students turn their back on the UK: 'Post-Brexit changes to Britain’s immigration rules have triggered an unprecedented collapse in bookings for school trips from the continent, organisers say, with countries such as Ireland and the Netherlands now more popular than the UK.' 'Continental schools typically sent about a million pupils to the UK each year on organised trips, Jones said, with France and Germany alone accounting for 850,000. But for the February to June season, it was now clear that schools across the continent had “completely abandoned the UK for other countries”, she said."

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/dec/26/school-trips-to-uk-slump-brexit

The Brexit idealists will continue to dig in; as has been said before it's the way of all "revolutions" to eventually reject their leaders because they are insufficiently pure. That bit I can live with, it's when the executions start we should all worry.... 

.... over the pond that 2nd phase has started, the third phase, who knows.....

https://twitter.com/search?q=candice owen&src=typed_query&f=top

https://www.thedailybeast.com/candace-owens-claims-trump-defended-covid-vaccine-because-hes-too-old-to-understand-the-internet

Edited by Surfer

I think it's a case of the 'useful idiots' not being able to accept they were lied to. They were used. And have now been hung out to dry. No sunny uplands. No 40 deals on day one or even an over ready deal. Fishermen were deceived. As are farmers, exporters, small businesses and hauliers. It will get worse as the years go by.

42 minutes ago, RobJames said:

I think it's a case of the 'useful idiots' not being able to accept they were lied to. They were used. And have now been hung out to dry. No sunny uplands. No 40 deals on day one or even an over ready deal. Fishermen were deceived. As are farmers, exporters, small businesses and hauliers. It will get worse as the years go by.

Same over here. The question to be asked is "to what end?" In both our countries, hatred and fear have been sown by newspapers (and in US, by cable news) that have contributed to or directly created the opportunity for right wing extremists to take over two solidly conservative parties. 

That hatred and fear was there for quite a while before. The loony right have been able to play on it.  For their own ends. However there needs to be a point of delivery. In our case Brexit. That was never possible. And it has already unravelled. And as the economy suffers as a consequence, rising inflation taxes and cut backs will lead to growing discontent. It will split the Tories. Between those who want even more madness. And those who want to reign back. 

Isolating yourself. Cutting yourself off from the world dies not work. Your isolationism policy eventually failed. It will fail here also. In the US the same will follow. The Republicans will tear themselves apart. Not exactly over the same questions. But it will be between moderates and the swivelled eyed loons. Look at the reaction to Trump and vaccination. Vaccination is merely Darwins law.

16 hours ago, sonyc said:

I agree with all of that. It is easy to label and make assumptions. Brexiters are not homogeneous. I'm also guilty. That said, it's a big challenge on this thread to actually have a debate with one or two (one who acts like a ten year old in fact). And it doesn't do much to reduce the quality of your own argument at times. When I was about 6 or 7 years old I probably thought like this:

IMG_20211226_182023.jpg

But now I'm an adult I've moved on and I see the world being inhabited by just people, people I would rather understand, to work alongside, to know how they see the world, to explore new ideas with... and I believe that the UK (as my country) ought to be part of it. Especially, given our colonial past! I don't understand the reductionism of the Brexiter though. It is a view that is part of a distant past. It is not a vision for good. Only can be about conflict, about duality.

This may come as a surprise to you Sonyc but the definition of a foreigner is someone who comes from another country and that map is perfectly accurate. The only thing that is bothersome is your thinking that all foreigners are a threat and must be the subject of xenophobia. 

On 24/12/2021 at 23:38, sonyc said:

About us

We are Europe’s leading international news channel

We are Europe’s leading international news channel, providing global, multilingual news with a European perspective to over 440 million homes in 160 countries.

With 12 cross-platform language editions, including 9 distinct TV editions, we strive to provide our viewers and readers with a variety of viewpoints while remaining grounded in factual reporting.

Euronews at a glance

145M

People reach every month

68%

TV households reached in Europe

21M+

Followers across all social media platforms

Nationalities represented in our newsroom

Different languages

Offices around the world

Sources: Global Web Index – Q1 2021, Emplifi – SEPT. 2021

We believe All Views matter

At Euronews, our mission is to provide unfiltered, unbiased, fact-based journalism that empowers rather than unsettles. Unapologetically impartial, we believe all views matter, and we actively resist the temptation to bait clicks or views through bias, outrage, or sensationalism.

By staying true to facts but giving voice to many opinions, we provide our audiences with the resources they need to make up their own mind—or perhaps even change it. By focusing on facts, ideas, and solutions, our journalists cultivate clarity, empathy, and integrity.

You didn't really answer the question so I will help you out. Euronews is owned mainly by the state-owned media companies of Europe and therefore its output is heavily pro-EU, and you should remember that fact when you are using its content. 

46 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

You didn't really answer the question so I will help you out. Euronews is owned mainly by the state-owned media companies of Europe and therefore its output is heavily pro-EU, and you should remember that fact when you are using its content. 

Fair comment. We have been critical of privately owned companies such as GB News and Fox News for their right wing bias. However, the EU is a cosmopolitan organisation made up of far right and far left Governments so one view other than supporting EU membership is unlikely.