Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Of course they bl**dy would - they already allow the UK customs posts for the channel to operate on French soil and have done for years. The reason that KG's eminently sensible suggestion isn't being done is that our xenophobic government is doing everything it can (both legally and illegally) to deter all migrants whether genuine refugees or not.

The last thing that the vile Patel is ever going to do is acknowledge that any of them are genuine refugees.

I think the drowning yesterday raises a big question over how diligently the French are tackling people smugglers. Following the capsize and 31 deaths, there have now been arrests of five people smugglers, which begs the question why it should take a tragedy of such a scale to prompt action from French law enforcement against the people profiting from this. 

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

There lies the problem, the French will not allow it.

Because some idiot called Johnson signed a deal meaning they can’t be sent back, that’s what we voted for.

I will stand to be corrected but I understood the problem was no longer France, they meet in different countries then are bused through France to the coast then given their boats. They are only in France for an hour.

29 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think the drowning yesterday raises a big question over how diligently the French are tackling people smugglers. Following the capsize and 31 deaths, there have now been arrests of five people smugglers, which begs the question why it should take a tragedy of such a scale to prompt action from French law enforcement against the people profiting from this. 

Well if the UK government followed KG's sensible suggestion about processing potential refugees on French soil that would put the people smugglers out of business at a stroke, but that clearly wouldn't suit Johnson & Patel at all.

They are far more interested in having a political stick with which to beat the French and play the 'tough guys' to their xenophobic supporters, most of whom are too dumb to realise that the UK's 'controlling of own borders', about which we've all heard so much b*ll*cks, has been an abysmal failure. 

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I've nothing against the French apart from when we play them at footy 

So you can't be bothered to defend yourself when asked perfectly reasonable and polite questions. Best you expect to get more abuse then.

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

As I wrote prove it , About the kids I was pointing out that kids who could not speak a work of English were holding back the rest of the class, it was not racist in any way it was just a fact, there were others there who came from abroad who bothered to teach the offspring to learn. 

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

I've explained that, did you not read it ?

Yes you did in a way that could be considered xenophobic, if not actually racist. The highlighted term is instructive, it implies that these kids could not speak English because parents, or "others" as you put it,  who "came from abroad" could not be bothered to teach their "offspring" English. Now it may be a leap but I wouldn't mind betting that you cannot speak a second language, would it be reasonable for me to suggest that your parents couldn't be bothered? Equally I wonder on what objective measure your wife based the opinion that these kids were holding back the rest of the class. Or was she being subjective? Or could she not be bothered to actually teach?

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That's not correct (see below). What is correct is the number deported this year. Five. Because of brexit the UK no longer has an agreement with the EU to accept failed asylum seekers.It has been a stampede, thanks to brexit.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/france-announces-crackdown-on-human-traffickers-dismantles-migrant-camp/2422753

As has been pointed out, the brexiters wanted brexit so we can control our borders, ripped up all our agreements, and have accidentally made our border far less controllable. Ironic really. If only they had paid attention. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

As has been pointed out, the brexiters wanted brexit so we can control our borders, ripped up all our agreements, and have accidentally made our border far less controllable. Ironic really. If only they had paid attention. 

did you like the open borders ?

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Yes, that's a deep irony. A refugee crisis, emigration of European nurses, doctors and nurses who more than supported our health services (and ironically - using that word again - one helped Boris Johnson when he was in St Thomas' hospital), issues with a shortage of HGV drivers, loss of small industries who now have huge problems with post-Brexit bureaucracy (not needed before), the music industry curtailed, the chaos that is the response to Erasmus, loss of trade in most UK ports, the whole issue with Northern Ireland, customs waits (greater checks at airports - non EU channels - getting worse next year with retinal checks being introduced) and threats to the union. All voted for (largely) by an ageing voter cohort.

I propose this thread is re-named to The Negative Brexit Thread which let's face it will be far more accurate.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

You do realise that the borders were/are open to people other than asylum seekers, right? 

I know you hate foreigners, but it was much easier when there was Freedom of Movement for businesses and individuals (such as medical professionals, lorry drivers etc) This contributed to the UK’s economy. Now there is a mountain of red tape that delays things, or indeed some just don’t bother.

Maybe you should actually educate yourself and remove your head from your ar$E rather than assume that every foreigner is some useless layabout.

You have a very simple minded, black and white view that any non-English people entering this country are bad people. Indeed, a lot of them are less bigoted and dumb than you and will contribute more to the UK. Maybe we could ship you out and replace you with individuals that are more inclusive and tolerant of others that are different to them?

Edited by (Hoola)Han Solo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

You do realise that the borders were/are open to people other than asylum seekers, right? 

I know you hate foreigners, but it was much easier when there was Freedom of Movement for businesses and individuals (such as medical professionals, lorry drivers etc) This contributed to the UK’s economy. Now there is a mountain of red tape that delays things, or indeed some just don’t bother.

Maybe you should actually educate yourself and remove your head from your ar$E rather than assume that every foreigner is some useless layabout.

You have a very simple minded, black and white view that any non-English people entering this country are bad people. Indeed, a lot of them are less bigoted and dumb than you and will contribute more to the UK. Maybe we could ship you out and replace you with individuals that are more inclusive and tolerant of others that are different to them?

Don't bother mate. It's utterly futile. 

If you look back over the weeks / months before. Engagement is pointless. Just contradict the "substantive" point and then move on.

Edited by 1902

10 minutes ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

I know you hate foreigners,WRONG  but it was much easier when there was Freedom of Movement for businesses and individuals (such as medical professionals, lorry drivers etc) This contributed to the UK’s economy. Now there is a mountain of red tape that delays things, or indeed some just don’t bother.  WE NEED ENGLISH PEOPLE DOING THOSE JOBS =NO UNEMPLYMENT 

Maybe you should actually educate yourself and remove your head from your ar$E rather than assume that every foreigner is some useless layabout.  I DO NOT THINK THAT !

You have a very simple minded, black and white view that any non-English people entering this country are bad people. WRONG AGAIN Indeed, a lot of them are less bigoted and dumb than you and will contribute more to the UK. Maybe we could ship you out and replace you with individuals that are more inclusive and tolerant of others that are different to them?

YOU HAVE GOT ME TOTALLY WRONG 

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-migrant-channel-deaths-b1964294.html

A very quick read here. 

It's educational and you will be far better informed. It's from the Independent and not from a source you'd disagree with. It is also simply factual. It doesn't say Brexit is 100% to blame but it IS a factor (see the notes). It is a simple summary of this awful humanitarian problem.

I think improved education on the matter would benefit you given the nature of posts you make. Then, once read, discuss it with friends and family. Get a second view. Get the input of others.

My view is that that will help you gain some proper respect on this forum. No-one needs to agree with you or you with them but at least you'll not simply post in ignorance.

Once people are educated then they make far better decisions. I can vouch for that for myself.

This is a polite request. 

More reading and research will make you more open minded, will help relationships with friends and family. It's never too late to try and change. Otherwise you may ossify and become more bitter and hardened. 

Unless you like the attention and antagonism here - in order to thrive....in which case there are other things to think about.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 3

Please take Sonyc's sound advice Swindon or you'll just get booted off this forum again.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Because the majority of the smugglers come from different countries.

The Syrian or Iraqi migrants don't walk to France on the off chance. The smugglers start in those countries.

And they are not all leaving from the Calais region.

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

Please take Sonyc's sound advice Swindon or you'll just get booted off this forum again.

I will not as I've done nothing wrong 

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Yes absolutely - it granted us extremely useful and important rights which millions of UK citizens took advantage of every year.

Those rights have been taken away by Brexit and the many problems resulting from that are visible all around you and are not going to go away.

Then, I didn't suggest you've done anything wrong in my post Swindon Canary. Just the politest requests (I believe so anyway but do tell me if I've overstepped what you think is a reasonable mark) and I was trying to be constructive by posting a link which explains some background. It was just that.

I have to confess that these daily posts make me feel more and more uncomfortable. You feel more and more like you have a victim complex (Google and there are many, many articles) and indeed you actively appear to look for people to make ripostes against you so that you can make the kind of short statements that you do....such as "You're wrong" etc. 

Yet the effect is to derail the subject into being something akin to you versus almost everyone else. 

This is my very last attempt here. I will not engage further but have felt such a responsibility to say something. If I didn't I would berate myself and feel bad. I lost a best friend 6 years ago and barely a day goes past without thinking "if only I had known how bad things were" ...or that I might have done or said something. If my inner voice starts to speak to me, I feel compelled to say things these days. And the nature of posts over these last few weeks has made me worried.

I am a caring sort of chap and whilst I don't agree with your view of the world I do tend to separate a person (who they really are) from their beliefs. It's why I can be fine with absolutely anyone and be neutral as possible. So, I don't want you to feel got at. 

Do look after yourself and just try and take some more responsibility for what you think...mainly and firstly about yourself. If you can find that voice then you won't always be on the defensive with other people.

I get defensive myself at times. We all can do. It's all fine. We are not so important really. I tell myself that most days and the really funny thing is...it's true! We are not much in the scheme of things. 

But don't waste your time with people on a forum and getting upset. Life will still go on even if you stopped yourself from posting.

Remember folk are going through their lives too, everyone had his or her problems and anxieties. It's not just you. Turn a deaf ear or just don't respond of you feel people are disagreeing with you.

Finally, an apology. First, for the length of this post and secondly, if I've come across as patronising or judgemental. It's a risk I've felt I ought to have taken. 

I want people people to get along ultimately.

I even enjoy people disagreeing with me because that's when I learn the most! When I left a former job I asked my staff to write "now F*CK OFF" on my leaving card (a) because it made me laugh and (b) because it may have been near a truth and allowed people to really be carefree.

Brexit is very divisive. I've lost a few friends because I cannot bear to hear what they say about it. I find their world views are alien to my ears. I'm still polite and will still smile but I know inside a true friendship and an honest meeting of minds is never going to be possible.

So, it's hurtful along the way but you can keep your integrity.

You've perhaps been upset by others in life and the forum here is somewhere to play out that upset? If so, it won't ultimately cure that upset. Perhaps there are other forums where people think more like you. It's probably far too 'left' for your liking. I'm guessing so. Yet you'll find Tory voters all over the Pinkun. No-one is always correct.

Anyway, just look after yourself first in the best way possible. I don't like reading angry exchanges all the time. Hence this (rant of a) post! More in life for us all to do. I think too if someone was ill or dying to give an example then EVERY single poster in here would send their love and best wishes. So there is a care for others. Also, care is given by posters replying to you. If you were so unimportant then they wouldn't bother. Think about that Swindon! Rather than think all are out to get at you, you're at the centre of attention. There comes a time though to join the audience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sonyc, I think Swindo is a serious wind up merchant and enjoys these debates focusing on himself. He’s made many claims in this thread and others which when questioned have shown him not to be fully truthful. So I can understand how many get frustrated. Me I get appalled with certain claims he made a year or so ago which on a little research was found to be blatant lies. I just don’t have his life views and I certainly don’t buy into his bigoted views of Europeans as I am half Czech myself. I’ve just blocked him, but was interested last few days as he started to claim he was in the navy and in the same background trade as myself but failed to interact when I asked more questions which again make me take him with a pinch of salt.

I’m not sure if anyone has actually met him and can validate if he’s a normal guy with an agenda or otherwise! For me I’m just blocking him and can’t get bothered with it. Just hope he becomes a little more tolerant.

I am tolerant, I never call people names, I'm the only remainer on here yet everyone disagrees with me I do put up with it, the only thing I don't like is fellow supporters calling me names    

16 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I am tolerant, I never call people names, I'm the only remainer on here yet everyone disagrees with me I do put up with it, the only thing I don't like is fellow supporters calling me names    

That’s a lie. I’ve seen you name call on numerous occasions. Haven’t you called Horsefly “Horseflee”? 

We’ve also seen you out somebody’s real identity which led to a lengthy ban.

Probably best to not cry victim when you have been caught out lying (remember your instagram girlfriend), fail to engage in any sort of intelligent debate and openly admit you like to wind up remainers. You demonstrate a laughable lack of self awareness on a daily basis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1902 said:

Don't bother mate. It's utterly futile. 

If you look back over the weeks / months before. Engagement is pointless. Just contradict the "substantive" point and then move on.

Agreed. I don’t think I’ve ever come across someone on the internet as stubbornly stupid and unwilling to to think outside his echo chamber. I’d be amazed if he is able to dress himself tbh.

@SwindonCanary

Johnson signs a deal saying we cannot return migrants, now ( presumably advised by Peppa Pig ) he blames the French and wants it out of the deal. Please tell us why he signed said deal ?

1 hour ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

That’s a lie. I’ve seen you name call on numerous occasions. Haven’t you called Horsefly “Horseflee”? 

I called him it once NOT numerous times ! I saw the error of my ways 

I shall not call you a liar, as you did me 

Edited by SwindonCanary

Since we're on a Parrot theme this captures rather nicely the pointlessness of attempting to rationalise with swindle:

The French should beware of "unintended consequences".

Blocking exports to the UK may inconvenience UK consumers, but may have a more devastating effect on French producers who rely on those exports to keep in business.