Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The leaked EU proposals go beyond what one might have expected. France apparently is not happy, and I am not surprised. That said, there is no sign of any movement on the role of the ECJ, which Frost and Bojo have turned into the potential casus belli.

A likely explanation is that if these compromises get turned down then that will convince everyone in the EU that the UK has no intention of doing a deal.

Agree entirely - the EU are not being at all unreasonable it would seem - they never were - just practical solutions to an open border.

So Johnson & Frost. Bluff called -  Are you actually 'negotiating' in good faith or just mendacious, self serving, disingenuous time wasters. I think we all know the answer to that already.

Oh Dear.

If true - 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/13/dominic-cummings-says-uk-always-intended-to-ditch-ni-protocol-brexit

Then sadly I think Rayner's word 'scum' is very appropriate for the lot of them.

Certainly not anybody I would wish to aspire too. They will have destroyed decades if not centuries of British respect for diplomacy and fair play. Toe rags.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Oh Dear.

If true - 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/13/dominic-cummings-says-uk-always-intended-to-ditch-ni-protocol-brexit

Then sadly I think Rayner's word 'scum' is very appropriate for the lot of them.

Certainly not anybody I would wish to aspire too. Thy will have destroyed decades if not centuries of British respect for diplomacy and fair play. Toe rags.

Kiss goodbye to a trade deal with the USA (and many more I suspect).

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Oh Dear.

If true - 

Certainly not anybody I would wish to aspire too. Thy will have destroyed decades if not centuries of British respect for diplomacy and fair play. Toe rags.

I'm pretty sure it is true, not because DC says so although he was unquestionably in the room at the time and though I instinctively wouldn't trust a word he says he is still somewhat more plausible than the serial liar Johnson.

My personal belief has always been that Johnson never ever intended to honour the deal he signed, and I say that for four reasons, all of which were clear at the time of signing or very soon after:

1. It was an appalling deal from the UK perspective and all the problems Frost is now griping about were known about at the time, that alone I think made it very unlikely the Government would ever implement.
  2. Johnson told a pack of lies to everybody about what the deal entailed but especially to Northern Ireland who were assured that there would be no border in the Irish Sea - Johnson knew full well that there had to be one.
  3. The Government rushed the legislation through Parliament, the most important piece of legalisation for 40/50 years, with absolutely zero scrutiny. A number of his more stupid backbenchers admitted afterwards that they hadn't actually read the legislation they voted for and were furious when they realised that a border in the Irish Sea was a given.
  4. Finally the complete lack of action in implementing the deal - even allowing for the fact that although the EU had implemented the deal ready for day 1, the UK was absolutely nowhere so some grace periods and phasing of the implementation in the UK was agreed - but we haven't even honoured that agreement! The UK is complaining that the deal isn't workable without ever having made a serious attempt at implementing more than a small proportion of it and we were late with that.

Scum is exactly what this government are and sadly, as you say, as far as the rest of the world is concerned they are tarring us all with the same brush.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

YOU LOT ARE OUT NUMBERED WHEN YOU COUNT THE  WHOLE OF BRITAIN 

Apparently only 15% of the U.K. feel that Brexit has gone well, so I don’t think any longer these views are a minority.

Any news yet on why you gave us that absolute s*** about the citizens of Poland wanting to leave the EU ? Caught lying again I guess

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The leaked EU proposals go beyond what one might have expected. France apparently is not happy, and I am not surprised. That said, there is no sign of any movement on the role of the ECJ, which Frost and Bojo have turned into the potential casus belli.

A likely explanation is that if these compromises get turned down then that will convince everyone in the EU that the UK has no intention of doing a deal.

The revealed full set of proposals include measures to counteract the significant compromises. Stronger checks to ensure goods allowed into NI don't then carry on into Eire, and a requirement that the UK provide real-time info on goods into NI, plus building the border posts the UK agreed to but have so far not built. Trade war here we come...

Northern Irish business leaders seem to be happy with what the EU have come up with and, with the ECJ involvement not being of major importance to them, that should be the end of that little impasse.🤨

Apparently on Peston it’s about to be broken that there is a strong ‘ likelihood ‘ of us running out of gas. Why mention it on this thread, well apparently the EU have planned for this and many countries in Europe have 20 times more storage space.

Yet more lies from Boris and @SwindonCanary

19 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Britain burns while Boris paints.

Didn't know you could get painting by numbers in Marbella.

Goldsmith left him this at the villa:

7c730e13204504350c9f17e3649a4b2b.jpg

I see the lorry driver visa scheme is proving a sparkling success, brexit Britain is simply irresistible:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/government-labelled-incompetent-as-only-20-visas-are-issued-to-foreign-truckers/ar-AAPtjhY?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

A senior minister disclosed today that only about 20 foreign lorry drivers have been granted temporary visas to work in the UK.

It was announced last month that the Government would issue 5,000 temporary visas to HGV drivers and a further 5,500 to poultry workers in an attempt to prevent shortages in the run up to Christmas.

However, Conservative Party chairman Oliver Dowden said the numbers of drivers applying were “relatively limited”, with about 300 applications received and about 20 actually issued.

Edited by horsefly
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I wonder what it feels like to scam the electorate?

Judging by half of our population it's the easiest job in the world...so probably initially satisfying, but in the long-term they know they need a bigger challenge (like teaching a dog to not eat it's own sh*t with such relish).🤦‍♂️🤣

Apples

Cummings' claim that the government never intended to honour the brexit deal they signed has been backed up by evidence from another politician:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-news-live-pm-promised-to-tear-up-ni-protocol-dup-politician-claims-as-eu-seeks-to-break-impasse/ar-AAPuZzZ?ocid=msedgntp

Boris Johnson personally promised that the Northern Ireland protocol would be ditched, a senior DUP politician has claimed.

The comments made by Ian Paisley Jr followed Dominic Cummings’ suggestion that No 10’s strategy was always to “ditch the bits we didn’t like”.

The DUP MP told BBC’s Newsnight: “Boris Johnson did tell me personally that he would, after agreeing to the protocol, he would sign up to changing that protocol and indeed tearing it up.”

Responding to MrCumm*ing’s earlier accusation, the shadow international secretary Emily Thornberry said it was “appalling” that the UK’s leaders could think about deceiving other countries during negotiations.

Edited by horsefly

1 hour ago, Mr Apples said:

Judging by half of our population it's the easiest job in the world...so probably initially satisfying, but in the long-term they know they need a bigger challenge (like teaching a dog to not eat it's own sh*t with such relish).🤦‍♂️🤣

Apples

20 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Cummings' claim that the government never intended to honour the brexit deal they signed has been backed up by evidence from another politician:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-news-live-pm-promised-to-tear-up-ni-protocol-dup-politician-claims-as-eu-seeks-to-break-impasse/ar-AAPuZzZ?ocid=msedgntp

Boris Johnson personally promised that the Northern Ireland protocol would be ditched, a senior DUP politician has claimed.

The comments made by Ian Paisley Jr followed Dominic Cummings’ suggestion that No 10’s strategy was always to “ditch the bits we didn’t like”.

The DUP MP told BBC’s Newsnight: “Boris Johnson did tell me personally that he would, after agreeing to the protocol, he would sign up to changing that protocol and indeed tearing it up.”

Responding to MrCumm*ing’s earlier accusation, the shadow international secretary Emily Thornberry said it was “appalling” that the UK’s leaders could think about deceiving other countries during negotiations.

What is amazing is that the 'government' clearly lied, misled, sold a dud and scammed all those honest voters that voted for them!

No different to any other on-line scam or fraud I'm afraid on the vulnerable. Lie to Queen, lie to the people.

They have in fact admitted that they know their supporters are thick and can be treated as such - or else such supporters are equally culpable.

I thought we'd become a second rate country. That was clearly optimistic.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, BigFish said:

Every brexiter that is still standing, God knows how many are left, should read this thread. And then read it again. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Being told by Cummings she was a dispensible useful idiot!

Sadly she can't say she wasn't warned, on a regular basis.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Frankly, Mummery deserves little more than contempt for the fact that she acted as a foghorn for Johnson's and Farage's lies. She had plenty of people warning her what the reality of brexit would bring to the fishing industry, but despite being a "leader" for the trade, she prefered to conspire with the lies rather than investigate the truth. She, as much as Johnson (et al) deserves the blame for the wrecked livelihoods of so many fishing folk. 

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Frankly, Mummery deserves little more than contempt for the fact that she acted as a foghorn for Johnson's and Farage's lies. She had plenty of people warning her what the reality of brexit would bring to the fishing industry, but despite being a "leader" for the trade, she prefered to conspire with the lies rather than investigate the truth. She, as much as Johnson (et al) deserves the blame for the wrecked livelihoods of so many fishing folk. 

I liked this:

Word of the day is ‘flenching’ (19th-century Scots): promising an improvement that never quite materialises.

• Like 1

How are we going to get rid of him?, the opposition just seem really weak and if we were to have a GE tomorrow, he would still win.

The Americans got the idea right in which you can only serve two terms at the most. Here it’s until the public stop voting for you and I cannot see that ending for some time, sadly. I just hope the awful way he’s handled everything and goes on holiday to paint and escape the heat, finally makes the public who vote for him to come to their senses.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

How are we going to get rid of him?, the opposition just seem really weak and if we were to have a GE tomorrow, he would still win.

The Americans got the idea right in which you can only serve two terms at the most. Here it’s until the public stop voting for you and I cannot see that ending for some time, sadly. I just hope the awful way he’s handled everything and goes on holiday to paint and escape the heat, finally makes the public who vote for him to come to their senses.

The electorate are turning against Johnson, but I suggest what just happen to the Chechs brings the answer.

What the Czech elections mean for Europe’s strongmen

This past weekend, Andrej Babis, the Czech Republic’s seemingly invincible populist leader, was the unexpected loser of its elections, after a coalition of previously divided center-right parties united against him. They had a simple, clear message: We can beat Babis.

The success of these Czech opposition parties could have major repercussions in the region and beyond. For the past decade, strongman leaders disdainful of democratic norms have risen to power around the world. Now, opposition leaders are mobilizing, trying to forge unified fronts and oust populist leaders in upcoming elections.

In Hungary, for instance, six parties across the political spectrum are collaborating to oppose the party of Viktor Orban, the right-wing leader who has become a standard-bearer for “illiberal democracy.” And in Poland, Donald Tusk, a former prime minister and European Council president, hopes to rally the main opposition party and people who often do not vote, and to lure support from a plethora of other opposition groups.

Quotable: “Populism is beatable,” said Otto Eibl, the head of the political science department at Masaryk University in the Czech city of Brno. “The first step in beating a populist leader is to suppress individual egos and to compromise in the interest of bringing a change.”

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

Polls following the Conference period seem to show the Tories slightly increasing their lead

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/rh8jc785e5/TheTimes_VI_Results_211013_W.pdf

Johnson will go eventually. They all do. Here are the options as I see them 

1 - Resign of his own free will

2 - Forced to resign by his party 

3 - Beaten in an internal leadership contest 

4 - Beaten at the ballot box 

5 - Die in office (no, I don't wish for this)

6 - Vote of no confidence (kind of links to the first 3 options)

7 - Military coup 😱

If I have missed something, let me know 

I'm thinking 2 and 3 are the favourites. I  don't  see the Tories losing any time soon  or Johnson jacking in of his own free will. 

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man