GBP - EURO

😉

October 9th                 2011 pound/Euro        1.16321

October 9th                 2021 pound/Euro        1.17627😄

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

😉

October 9th                 2011 pound/Euro        1.16321

October 9th                 2021 pound/Euro        1.17627😄

GBP suffered in the  banking crisis. In 2011 it was then starting on the road back

The gains it made back up to 2016 got trashed 

GBP to EURO 2000 to 2021

I won't post a laughing emoji as it isn't funny 

14 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

GBP suffered in the  banking crisis. In 2011 it was then starting on the road back

The gains it made back up to 2016 got trashed 

GBP to EURO 2000 to 2021

I won't post a laughing emoji as it isn't funny 

Floating currencies go up and down. Who'd a guessed.

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Floating currencies go up and down. Who'd a guessed.

Indeed 

And it isn't all bad 

A weaker pound will be good for our exports to Europe  just as long as someone can afford a container or lorry and fill in a load of paperwork...

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man

2 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Is the pound the weakest European currency now?, it cannot be as bad as the Lek, surely?.

The Lek - nice one, had to look it up - although, depressingly, now I have done it seems that the pound is weak even against that 

9 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

The Lek - nice one, had to look it up - although, depressingly, now I have done it seems that the pound is weak even against that 

Oh for god sake! :(.

22 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Don't get me started on this stupid woman. There is no Covid and Brexit will make us powerful again Isabel. How the hell does she get a job?

😀

10 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

MOST ARE ON HERE COZ IT'S THE The Positive Brexit Thread

Indeed not a lot positive so far, and where there is it often shows to be a lie.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

MOST ARE ON HERE COZ IT'S THE The Positive Brexit Thread

That wouldn't fill a single page.

• Haha 1

On 06/10/2021 at 15:03, Rock The Boat said:

Firstly, I'm struggling to understand how England is exploiting Wales NI and Scotland as we subsidise all three regions with higher government spending, not to mention the number of businesses that are directed to locate in the regions through generous business grants. If anyone is being exploited it is the English taxpayer on whom the burden falls.

To claim that the SNP are somehow the puppets of the Conservative party, is a marvellously, entertaining conspiracy theory but I could never see it being made into a movie as the required suspension of disbelief would be a step too far for most.

Nobody sent Romanian butchers back to Bucharest, they left of their own accord. In fact, had they registered before Brexit they would have been fully entitled to stay. Some did, some didn't. Their choice. However, as I have repeated elsewhere it is up the business to staff their companies. It is their responsibility to train these butchers too. Not the government.

Gas prices rose 40% today. Nothing to do with Brexit. The rise is on the global spot markets. Gas prices are rising because no one is investing in fossil fuel extraction anymore. Western countries, blinded by fools such as Extinction Rebellion, think we can power Europe by wind power. I advise everyone to go out and stock up on woolly jumpers as the price of sheep wool is bound to follow that of gas. Gas prices dropped a little from their peak after Putin said he will increase Russian gas output. So it seems the west has swapped Middle Eastern oil sheiks for a Communist megalomaniac who uses deadly poisons to eliminate his enemies - and anyone else who happen to be nearby.

And as for those middle-class idiots preventing ambulances from reaching hospitals on the M25, perhaps they can feel proud that a stroke victim is now permanently paralysed because the car taking her to A&E could not get through their blockade let's name them for what they are: terrorists.

You are a shill for this Government, or just a middle class idiot who calls young people with a serious concern idiots. Have a close look in the mirror and see what is being done to this country.

Scotland is a colony of England and the day most Scots are rejecting the 1707 shambles, the better. A little bit of pain will be inevitable, but they don't have to dance to the tune of ignorance and filthy undermining of their resolve much longer. By your argument you should be fine to have them leave and become independent. Then you can rock or stroke your own boat.

On 09/10/2021 at 19:34, ricardo said:

Far be it from me to comment on exchange rates @ricardo, but the word in the markets is that the £ is supported that the UK will be the first country to hike its interest post Covid and this is likely to be much earlier than previously forecast.

9 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

image.png.54fe48e640e8498dbcb468f56e6c0f1d.png

I'm still working from home as we cannot have all of the staff back in our offices due to the new rules to prevent transmission of Covid19, we have had to use every other desk and keep the others empty.

That means our officers are also HALF EMPTY. 

This is a non-story from the DM.

10 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

It's just Swindo and RTB left to fly the flag

This nation's last two great patriots. 🤣

Apples

Kraft Heinz says people must get used to higher food prices

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58847275

The cost of ingredients such as cereals and oils has pushed global food prices to a 10-year high, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation.

During the pandemic, many countries saw production of raw materials, ranging from crops to vegetable oils, fall. Measures to control the virus, as well as illness, limited output and delivery.

As economies have restarted the supply of these products hasn't been able to keep up with returning demand, leading to higher prices. Higher wages and energy prices have also added to the burden for manufacturers.

Mr Patricio says this broad range of factors is contributing to the rising cost of food.

"Specifically in the UK, with the lack of truck drivers. In [the] US logistic costs also increased substantially, and there's a shortage of labour in certain areas of the economy."

40 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

You could add to that litany any of Swindons 'mistakes' 

Swindon has always set great store by the Express, as did Paul Moy - perhaps even more so.

Paul seems to have gone completely to ground since the actual impact of Brexit began to kick  in, so Swindon really does seem to be the last standing (on this forum).

If he were ever prepared to be honest enough, which I suspect he never will be, it would actually be quite interesting to hear what he makes of those total contradictions between what the Express (and he) was saying a few years ago and what it is saying now.

Swindo still seems to be on an utterly futile mission to identify a single Brexit benefit in the hope that it will somehow cancel out the multitude of Brexit problems and disasters - which it wouldn't even in the unlikely event of him ever identifying a single Brexit benefit.

It would also be interesting to know when, if ever, he is going to realise the futility of his quest.

16 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

image.png.54fe48e640e8498dbcb468f56e6c0f1d.png

Government run department, you have just shown again Boris Lied. Do you really think Swindon canary knew this and Boris didn’t.

Getting back to the Northern Ireland agreement, that triumph of Johnsonian diplomacy...

The danger for the EU was that it would make a concession here and then a concession there, in the mistaken hope that Johnson was negotiating honestly and would eventually settle on something that kept the essence of the deal intact.

Whereas Johnson wants in effect to scrap the entire deal, and would go on demanding more and more concessions, gambling that he was calling the EU's bluff, based on the assumption that it would never go for either of the nuclear options of turning the border ultra-hard or moving it into the island of Ireland.

But for the rolling-concession strategy to work Johnson needs a subtle negotiator, clever enough to fool the best minds of the EU into thinking they are dealing with people as reasonable and pragmatic as themselves. Instead Johnson has chosen Lord Frost, who with his megaphone 'diplomacy' and rejections of offers before they have been tabled makes a bull in a china shop look like something out of the corps de ballet by comparison.

The result, as Eire's Coveney made clear today, is not only that the EU has no illusions about what endgame Johnson wants but is now prepared to say so publicly, instead of pretending to give him the dubious benefit of the doubt.

The EU is close to the end of the road with the UK over the Northern Ireland protocol, accusing David Frost, the Brexit minister, of trying to undermine serious attempts to solve the problem, the Irish foreign minister has said.

Simon Coveney said he had spoken to Lord Frost’s counterpart, the European Commission vice-president, Maroš Šefčovič, on Sunday. They have agreed there would come a point when “the EU will say: enough, we cannot compromise any more”, Coveney said.

Coveney tweeted on Saturday night questioning whether the UK actually wanted “an agreed way forward or a further breakdown in relations”.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Thanks 2