Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Oh well! thanks to brexit and government incompetence we'll now be able to forage in the fields for pork scratchings.

I thought thicko Oakesnot told us a week ago that there were no problems in the Turkey farming industry. As ever the woman shows no shame in demonstrating her pi*ss poor understanding of anything that might require sparking to life both of her brain cells at the same time. Brexiteers are fond of referencing the Dunkirk spirit, now it seems they are happy to recommend a war-time xmas "celebration":

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

I thought thicko Oakesnot told us a week ago that there were no problems in the Turkey farming industry. As ever the woman shows no shame in demonstrating her pi*ss poor understanding of anything that might require sparking to life both of her brain cells at the same time. Brexiteers are fond of referencing the Dunkirk spirit, now it seems they are happy to recommend a war-time xmas "celebration":

Isabel will just have to buy a European one.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Brexit reality.

Quite shocking to read through that thread. In fact it makes my blood boil a bit if I'm being really honest. We read in the papers what might happen to musicians and artists. I'm one of the latter and now selling to customers in the EU is very complicated (to say the least) with customs duties, VAT changes (below the value of £135 or €150 equivalent ), origin statements, making a commercial invoice ...I could go on. 

Before Brexit you wrapped and packed your artwork and went to the post office. Simple!

What to do? For me, it's effectively to only offer a sale in the UK or USA or non EU - The bureaucracy (and indeed sheer worry) is something I want to avoid.

Now, I don't rely on this for my living I ought to say (it was a minor third vocation) but I know of a few who have had to amend their livelihoods.

People who voted to end free movement had no idea how it would affect their own citizens!! .....I really believe it was all about keeping the foreigner out. And the worst thing is - I'm not sure they really care.

Hence, I posted a while ago I've given up two friendships because they voted Brexit and all the values associated with their views. Plus, no change either or acceptance (yet) of the enormity of their decision. They are definitely entitled to their views.

But... I've had to decide what's important to me. I've found ways of not getting in touch (never shown anger or been directly challenging to them ....though I've felt like it). It's been like finding out one's friend is a racist. What do you then do? Accept their racism? For me it's a definite no.

Brexit has ruined many friendships (I know of others same as me) and we are only at the start of seeing how livelihoods are affected. In so, so many ways it has unleashed the worst aspects of human nature. 

Sorry to post so long here Herman...just realised (as usual I post less these days but when I do it's the culmination of thoughts and reflections of days or often weeks' worth of thinking).  Should have been more 'tabloid' I guess.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Don't get me started on this stupid woman. There is no Covid and Brexit will make us powerful again Isabel. How the hell does she get a job?

Sometimes it may feel like shouting into a void we do read and like the longer post. Social media is changing our writing habits into short burst, quick response commentary but we do need the longer, more thought out and slower reads or else it will feel like we are in a constant shouting match.

I have three guys at work that are brexitty and these last few years has definitely soured the relationship. One has a son that is in a band, and pre-pandemic were looking at doing tours to Europe. But sadly when it comes to the crunch, and the hoops they will have to jump through to do things they were free to do a year ago, he will blame the EU rather than look at his own choice.

They all seem to be in denial of reality and spout the same stuff that is pumped out by the right wing media, which is concerning as none of them read newspapers so it is all coming at them from their social media feeds, the algorithms constantly  feeding the monster.

It's a sad reality that the divide and rule technique has worked and I am not sure how it can be fixed, definitely not in the short term with the people that started it are thriving and in power.

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Sometimes it may feel like shouting into a void we do read and like the longer post. Social media is changing our writing habits into short burst, quick response commentary but we do need the longer, more thought out and slower reads or else it will feel like we are in a constant shouting match.

I have three guys at work that are brexitty and these last few years has definitely soured the relationship. One has a son that is in a band, and pre-pandemic were looking at doing tours to Europe. But sadly when it comes to the crunch, and the hoops they will have to jump through to do things they were free to do a year ago, he will blame the EU rather than look at his own choice.

They all seem to be in denial of reality and spout the same stuff that is pumped out by the right wing media, which is concerning as none of them read newspapers so it is all coming at them from their social media feeds, the algorithms constantly  feeding the monster.

It's a sad reality that the divide and rule technique has worked and I am not sure how it can be fixed, definitely not in the short term with the people that started it are thriving and in power.

I guess its the syndrome of not believing I made a mistake and I certainly am not going to own up to it.

Surely everyone must have guessed if not known that you cannot include everything in an agreement or even foresee problems. To boil it down to sovereignty and £350M was the most binary decision.

I had no idea whether we would be better off or not when I voted. But I did know what I had at the time. And that was the main reason for voting remain. As a pensioner, why would I risk turmoil? Not just for me but my family as well. Wasn't it the hatred of other nations and blaming it on others that caused wars?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

And just what do you think we are supposed to make of that mindless waffle and bluster?  Perhaps you would be better served by analysing the statement from Intel's chief where he explains that Intel will not even consider brexit Britain as a place to invest their billions for the cutting edge technology they are developing. Indeed what sane company would, given that we have very ably demonstrated that brexit Britain is completely incapable of serving the "just-in-time" supply chain upon which all international companies depend.

16 minutes ago, horsefly said:

And just what do you think we are supposed to make of that mindless waffle and bluster?  Perhaps you would be better served by analysing the statement from Intel's chief where he explains that Intel will not even consider brexit Britain as a place to invest their billions for the cutting edge technology they are developing. Indeed what sane company would, given that we have very ably demonstrated that brexit Britain is completely incapable of serving the "just-in-time" supply chain upon which all international companies depend.

the same as your  mindless waffle and bluster !

Just now, SwindonCanary said:

the same as your  mindless waffle and bluster !

You really are quite dumb aren't you! You posted a clip that contains nothing but bluster about how the country wants to be at the cutting edge of technology etc etc. but not a single word about how that is going to be achieved now that we have hamstrung industry through the bureaucracy and chaos of brexit. I referred you to the statement of the chief of Intel who said they won't be investing their billions in the UK BECAUSE of brexit, but will be investing in europe instead. That's not bluster you buffoon that's straightforward reality and the consequence of the brexit shi*te you voted for.

32 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

And there's loads of people willing to invest in Britain, do you blame that on Brexit ?

Oh do inform us wise one ….. just who would that be? 

The Saudi Arabian Sovereign Fund buying Newcastle United for 300 or so million does not count btw …. so we are talking about real investment here not chump change deals. 

JacobReesMogg @themoggster

People are over worrying about not having a Turkey this Christmas just use one of the traditional Christmas recipes for swan, quail, pheasant or robin. All are available in the British countryside, just send you footman out to bag one for you.

2:30 PM . Oct 9 1746

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Oh do inform us wise one ….. just who would that be? 

The Saudi Arabian Sovereign Fund buying Newcastle United for 300 or so million does not count btw …. so we are talking about real investment here not chump change deals. 

Although new investments dipped in both 2017–18 and 2018–19, they did grow by 10.2% in 2019–20. This is potentially due to foreign companies wanting a domestic presence in the UK post-Brexit.

8 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Although new investments dipped in both 2017–18 and 2018–19, they did grow by 10.2% in 2019–20. This is potentially due to foreign companies wanting a domestic presence in the UK post-Brexit.

The above is from an article dated April 2021. It's not really what you could call good news.

https://investmentmonitor.ai/analysis/uk-self-inflicted-wound

100 days since Brexit: The UK’s self-inflicted wound

After several years of increasing FDI, Brexit has caused inbound investment to dip in the UK.

• Haha 1

Even Johnson admits that the UK is going through the "stresses and strains" of Brexit, but this is not a crisis. This is the phoney war of a crisis. We haven't seen anything yet. Empty filling stations and shelves, turkey shortages and a bonfire of pigs is just the start. 4 million pushed into poverty by UC credits is just the start. As the Covid support is removed from its role propping up the economy in the form of the furlough, QE and the Stamp duty holiday the Winter is goining to be rocky. The long forgotton spectre of inflation will be back. Interest rates will rise and then in April Sunak plans the biggest tax rises in history.

And Johnson hasn't got a clue what to do about it.

27 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Even Johnson admits that the UK is going through the "stresses and strains" of Brexit, but this is not a crisis. This is the phoney war of a crisis. We haven't seen anything yet. Empty filling stations and shelves, turkey shortages and a bonfire of pigs is just the start. 4 million pushed into poverty by UC credits is just the start. As the Covid support is removed from its role propping up the economy in the form of the furlough, QE and the Stamp duty holiday the Winter is goining to be rocky. The long forgotton spectre of inflation will be back. Interest rates will rise and then in April Sunak plans the biggest tax rises in history.

And Johnson hasn't got a clue what to do about it.

Yep! And the gullible buffoons like Swindon will still believe in the fatuous unfounded optimism of Johnson because they can't admit that the brexit they voted for has totally screwed the country. 

What sane individual would believe a word of this pri*ck:

Boris-Johnson-caught-on-a-zipwire.jpg

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Yep! And the gullible buffoons like Swindon will still believe in the fatuous unfounded optimism of Johnson because they can't admit that the brexit they voted for has totally screwed the country. 

What sane individual would believe a word of this pri*ck:

Boris-Johnson-caught-on-a-zipwire.jpg

Sums the total utter jingoistic clown up in one photo. What is this stunt in aid of?, it’s just as bad as the one of him rugby tackling a kid.

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

And there's loads of people willing to invest in Britain, do you blame that on Brexit ?

I think you probably have your own definition of  what 'loads' mean which most of us wouldn't recognise.

But it is true that people are still investing in the UK, just far fewer than before Brexit.

Also bear in mind that many of those 'investing' in Britain are asset stripping (mainly US) hedge funds buying good British businesses at extremely low prices - and why are they able to do that?

Because UK share prices are low and the pound is weak..............because of Brexit.

1 minute ago, KernowCanary said:

Sums the total utter jingoistic clown up in one photo. What is this stunt in aid of?, it’s just as bad as the one of him rugby tackling a kid.

I think it had something to do with the 2012 Olympics.  He could be trying to emulate Cartman's attempt to infiltrate the "special Olympics" 

• Haha 1