Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

It's been mentioned many times before, by myself and others, that the government's desperation to do trade deals has lead to agreements that undermine food quality standards and workers rights. Now we find out that Truss has secretly agreed to allow the Australian government to ignore the environmental standards demanded of the Paris Agreement to tackle climate change. This is in direct contradiction to the statement made by Johnson about the deal; so another blatant lie chalked up against Johnson's name, and another proof that brexit has resulted in a race to the bottom for trading standards:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/uk-secretly-dropped-climate-promises-for-trade-deal-with-australia-leaked-emails-show/ar-AAOdAbV?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The British government secretly dropped a series of climate pledges in order to secure a post-Brexit trade deal with Australia, leaked emails appear to show.

Liz Truss, the trade secretary, and Kwasi Kwarteng, the business secretary, decided to "drop both of the climate asks" from the text of the UK-Australia agreement in order to get it "over the line", according to the email from a senior official.

A binding section that referenced the “Paris Agreement temperature goals” was scrubbed from the accord after pressure from the southern Hemipshere country’s government – which has a notoriously weak record on climate action.

The embarrassing revelation comes just weeks before the government is due to host a landmark UN climate conference, COP26, in Glasgow – where it is supposed to ask countries to make stronger commitments to cutting emissions.

Just last month Boris Johnson claimed any trade deal with Australia would, “include a chapter on trade and environment which not only reaffirms commitments to multilateral environmental agreements, including the Paris Agreement but also commits both parties to collaborate on climate and environmental issues”.

The prime minister claimed that “more trade will not come at the expense of the environment”. In June the two countries reached an “agreement in principle” to cut tariffs and quotas.

"They need us more that we need them".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58484454

UK on course to drop from Germany's top 10 trading partners

As a result, German companies have been looking to source goods from EU suppliers instead of UK ones - and this trend is increasing, an expert said.

"More and more small and medium-sized companies are ceasing to trade [with the UK] because of these hurdles," said Michael Schmidt, president of the British Chamber of Commerce in Germany.

They "simply can't afford the extra burden of keeping up to date and complying with all the kicked-in customs rules, such as health certificates for cheese and other fresh products", he added.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Send Beefy Botham in to do a bit of envoying

A rather brutal and vulgar demonstration of just how weak the UK's trading negotiation position is after brexit. We (correctly) wanted climate change clauses to be included in the deal, the Aussies said no, so we caved in. Shameful and pathetic!

• Like 1

The country is run by complete ******.* To fix a problem that they caused they are going to make bigger problems further on and, if this is to be believed, will actually be very dangerous.

https://news.sky.com/story/hgv-driving-tests-to-be-relaxed-to-help-lorry-driver-shortages-ahead-of-christmas-12404161

"• Tests will be made shorter, with the reversing exercise element removed and the uncoupling and recoupling exercise for trailer tests removed - and they will not have to be tested separately by a third party." WTF does this even mean? Have they ever watched an artic being reversed?

* The first statement won't be shocking to many.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The country is run by complete ******.* To fix a problem that they caused they are going to make bigger problems further on and, if this is to be believed, will actually be very dangerous.

https://news.sky.com/story/hgv-driving-tests-to-be-relaxed-to-help-lorry-driver-shortages-ahead-of-christmas-12404161

"• Tests will be made shorter, with the reversing exercise element removed and the uncoupling and recoupling exercise for trailer tests removed - and they will not have to be tested separately by a third party." WTF does this even mean? Have they ever watched an artic being reversed?

* The first statement won't be shocking to many.

I have a national cycling proficiency badge from the 1960s which I understand now entitles me to drive an HGV and my application for a licence is in the post.

download.jpeg

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

I have a national cycling proficiency badge from the 1960s which I understand now entitles me to drive an HGV and my application for a licence is in the post.

download.jpeg

I didn't think that Brexit was supposed to lower standards.

I guess that was yet another Johnson / Brexit lie.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

download.jpeg

Sorry! You're over qualified.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Posted without comment too.😉

Yougov now have Labour ahead by 2 points.

In fact all polls seem similar but The Express have found one that actually puts the conservatives in front, maybe the one that sees Johnson sacked.

I now have an ebike so could help on the shorter routes without endangering the climate. Sliced salami and Ryvita would be a beginning. Pringles would require panniers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Well b back said:

But we were told everything was in place last year?

I want to see all the correct checks taking place at the border, without cost or delay to  British people and businesses. Take back control 

Not much to ask for 

Is it?

• Like 1

It's not as if they've literally had years to plan for this. 

Anyway, Ol' Frosty is shaking his fist at the EU again. 

Looks like the shortage will lead to more female lorry drivers being trained, a great opportunity with increased pay levels.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Hey hey, a veritable bonfire of pesky EU regulations ... except most are UK regulations. Still it's a bonfire! 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1018386/Brexit_opportunities-_regulatory_reforms.pdf

For quite some time I thought it must be a spoof to highlight the stupidity of sacrificing trade and the UK economy, but it's actually a genuine document.  Seems the government is hell-bent on making the UK a less safe place to be, particularly when it comes to HGVs and farming practices. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-launches-plans-to-capitalise-on-new-brexit-freedoms

• Announcement builds on recommendations from the Taskforce for Regulatory Reform, Innovation and Growth (TIGRR) led by Sir Iain Duncan Smith.

A tiger led by IDS, sounds grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Edited by A Load of Squit

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Looks like the shortage will lead to more female lorry drivers being trained, a great opportunity with increased pay levels.

I think that's good news 

However, if we had only thought to train up more drivers before the other ones left.....