Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

On 18/08/2021 at 21:27, keelansgrandad said:

Ah but the Government wants us to cut down on sugar😂

We can export the surpluss to all those countries that Liz Truss has done deals with. 😀

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

We can export the surpluss to all those countries that Liz Truss has done deals with. 😀

Remind me of her deals?

Haiti, Afghanistan?

On 09/08/2021 at 18:02, PurpleCanary said:

Yes. After world war two Dean Acheson, a US statesman, said the UK had lost an empire but not yet found a role. Which was true. Perhaps surprisingly the obvious solution, which was to slowly drop the idea (in reality the empty pretence) of being a world power and to join Europe, was adopted.

As with social policy, on the NHS for example, there was (after a while) broad agreement between the two main parties on this. Allied to this concord was a generally liberal (in the non-party sense) approach to morality, spurred on by the beneficial and wise influence of that most justly celebrated generation – the baby boomers.*

Generalisations like the following are fraught with danger, but overall the UK became a more egalitarian, outgoing and tolerant society. There is a ‘but’ coming.

A section of society, and really I mean a section of English society, never accepted this loss of imperial power and status. Because it made the UK look like other countries. And we were not just another country like the Netherlands, or Norway, dammit. We stood alone and won the war. It cannot be overstressed how powerful a factor for many is this backward-looking yearning and how resonant a symbol is the war in particular.

Some years ago, when we had Cram, Ovett and Coe ruling the middle-distance roost, there was one international race in which they came round the final bend together, and one sports writer said it was like seeing three Spitfires appearing out of the sun. Actually a cute image, but surely not the bl**dy war again?! Even now you have the film Dunkirk keeping the nostalgic theme going, with Spitfires and Elgar perfectly synchronised.

Someone one said ‘Happy is the country that has no history.’ The British Isles have almost too much history, and WW2 in particular is still just close enough to exert this powerful pull on the emotions, like the Moon influencing the tides.

Which is where Brexit comes in. It is the last (one hopes) hurrah of the insular, inward-looking xenophobic Englander who never came to terms with the post-war downsizing and has seen the chance to rekindle dreams of imperialism that are not just absurd but deeply damaging to the lives of millions.

If that was not bad enough there is now, to an extent linked, since there is an overlap of elements of society, these supposed culture wars, the main aim of which is to reverse the liberalisation of the social policies that helped make the UK a generally better place in which to live.

Nostalgia can be harmlessly quaint, as in Ye Olde Tea Shoppe, or it can be dangerously destructive. The UK is suffering from a severe bout of the latter kind.

*Yes, this was inserted to annoy the h*ll out of BF…

I wasn't thinking of Afghanistan when I wrote this but...

7 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Absurdistan

Narnia

Amnesia

Xanadoo

Zephania

She's working on a big FTA with Sodor, which will eliminate checks on either side of The Vicarstown Rolling Bridge

That will also relieve traffic congestion in  Barrow-in-Furness 

👍🇬🇧

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

She's working on a big FTA with Sodor, which will eliminate checks on either side of The Vicarstown Rolling Bridge

That will also relieve traffic congestion in  Barrow-in-Furness 

👍🇬🇧

Does she have to ask the Fat Controller?

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The Australians will no doubt appoint Ian Chappell. 😀

Even Botham was known to go for a duck on the odd occasion...

Brexit Britain. Instead of employing an experienced trade envoy they hire an ex cricketer. Sums it all up. 

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Brexit Britain. Instead of employing an experienced trade envoy they hire an ex cricketer. Sums it all up. 

Exactly! Another pathetic stunt from a government that is bereft of anyone remotely competent to pull us out of this debacle. I guess the fact that Botham spent a lot of time getting pis*ed with Aussie cricketers makes him the most qualified person available to this shambles of a government. 

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Exactly! Another pathetic stunt from a government that is bereft of anyone remotely competent to pull us out of this debacle. I guess the fact that Botham spent a lot of time getting pis*ed with Aussie cricketers makes him the most qualified person available to this shambles of a government. 

I love the last line. From Best For Britain.

"A PM with no skill or experience appointed Truss, despite her lack of skill or experience. Of course she appointed trade envoys with no skill or experience. Being qualified is not required. Being a Brexiter mate is. An ever-longer, well-paid human centipede of incompetence."

Knowing what you know about the levels of incompetence and corruption why do you still support Johnson, Ricardo?

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Knowing what you know about the levels of incompetence and corruption why do you still support Johnson, Ricardo?

It keeps you posting😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, horsefly said:

Just when you thought that appointing Botham as a trade envoy was the bad part of the story you see that one of the others is Kate Hoey. 

As the only qualification seems to be that you have to be a confused Brexiteer I'm waiting for the announcement that SwindonCanary has also been appointed. 😀 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dj11 said:

After KFC and Nando’s, it is now McDonald’s. Farage may be able to come out of hiding?

https://t.co/gSh4OIvJMK

The franchises have to get their supplies from McD's.

Your local cafe can still pop to the shops for some milk and a jar of Nesquick, if you want a milkshake go local.

Two restaurants I recently visited were running out of beers. One was a massive chain too. 

17 hours ago, ricardo said:

Meanwhile outside the echo chamber.

Westminster Voting Intention (23 Aug):

Conservative 43% (+3)
Labour 33% (-3)
Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
Green 6% (+1)
Scottish National Party 3% (-2)
Reform UK 3% (–)
Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1429835827379589129?s=20

Must be very frustrating🤔

While the Tories are lamentable at present, seeing the SNP drop does raise a smile.

Please come and be a driver, the industry desperately needs you, but we will be dumping you next year when the lorries will not need drivers

On 23/08/2021 at 18:36, ricardo said:

Meanwhile outside the echo chamber.

Westminster Voting Intention (23 Aug):

Conservative 43% (+3)
Labour 33% (-3)
Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
Green 6% (+1)
Scottish National Party 3% (-2)
Reform UK 3% (–)
Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 16 Aug

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1429835827379589129?s=20

Must be very frustrating🤔

Not for me. People have the Government they voted for. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not for me. People have the Government they voted for. 

Here's one to cheer you up KG

Tories all on holiday abroad.

Labourites at Mablethorpe

CON: 37% (-7)
LAB: 34% (+3)
LDM: 14% (+2)
GRN: 5% (+1)
SNP: 4% (-2)
REF: 2% (+1)

Via @Kantar_UKI, 19-23 August, Changes w/ 12 July.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Here's one to cheer you up KG

Tories all on holiday abroad.

Labourites at Mablethorpe

CON: 37% (-7)
LAB: 34% (+3)
LDM: 14% (+2)
GRN: 5% (+1)
SNP: 4% (-2)
REF: 2% (+1)

Via @Kantar_UKI, 19-23 August, Changes w/ 12 July.

I am not a member any more. I resigned a couple of weeks ago. By voting for this shambles of a Party, at the moment, with the current leadership, I was just paying a fee to keep the Tories in power.

It has to be the Greens, as they are the only left leaning party.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am not a member any more. I resigned a couple of weeks ago. By voting for this shambles of a Party, at the moment, with the current leadership, I was just paying a fee to keep the Tories in power.

It has to be the Greens, as they are the only left leaning party.

The bouncey rubber teflon man will be back on top again next week. 😉