Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Meanwhile (in the real world)

"Lidl has recently been hit by shortages of fresh vegetables, bread, and toilet roll due to “disruptions to supply chain networks”, said. 0ther retailers have also seen deliveries cut, including Morrisons, Iceland, Waitrose, and Ocado, as well as smaller retailers like Booths and Spar.

An increase in unaccompanied freight arriving at ports has led to fruit and vegetables being left to rot because drivers are reluctant to travel to the pick-up with an empty lorry as this reduces profitability. Horticultural suppliers are also suffering as hauliers have largely abandoned flower and plants deliveries in order to prioritise food."

I went to Aldi much earlier today (6pm) and found much of the salad stuff was non existent. One of the workers told me they were going to be sent home at 10pm, then called back when the delivery arrived. It used to be around 8pm, now they cannot tell when it will arrive. It appears that a number of EU workers have left that shop, and are now working in another country.

Elsewhere

"The food and drink industry has commissioned consultancy Grant Thornton to gather evidence on labour shortages in the hope of persuading the government to intervene. The move is being spearheaded by the NFU and involves 12 major trade bodies including the Food & Drink Federation, British Frozen Food Federation and Cold Chain Federation."

"Engineering is a particular problem, with reports of local bidding wars for engineers and salary rates for these roles quickly escalating. One of our members has already spent around £30k on recruitment fees in 2021 for engineering alone. They now expect machine maintenance problems to increase throughout the year due to having an inexperienced team on site. This will result in further costs.”

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/wholesalers/food-and-drink-industry-gathering-evidence-of-staff-shortages-impact/657960.article?utm_source=Daily News (The Grocer)&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-07-15&c=&cid=DM972357&bid=1650524828

The latter paragraph highlights not only the sheer stupidity of brexit, but of brexiteers themselves. Bleating that because the sky has not fallen in immediately, the slow deterioration of business and trade can be ignored.

It is quite a serious situation actually. There are driver shortages as well as a great number of people isolating affecting local supermarkets here (I can vouch for Morrisons as know a senior manager so its first hand). An article a few weeks ago also raised the prospect of panic buying and predicting problems because of Brexit.

Yesterday and today it is difficult to get fresh vegetables, salads etc. Shelves empty. No lettuces ( @horsefly "what iceberg" indeed!)

On 17/07/2021 at 08:45, Herman said:

Seems the only thing we are exporting is plague and hate.🤨

Daily Mail

"Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews said on Monday morning: 'I hadn't heard of her before and I don't want to hear about her ever again."

Sounds like Hatie made quite an impression 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It is quite a serious situation actually. There are driver shortages as well as a great number of people isolating affecting local supermarkets here (I can vouch for Morrisons as know a senior manager so its first hand). An article a few weeks ago also raised the prospect of panic buying and predicting problems because of Brexit.

Yesterday and today it is difficult to get fresh vegetables, salads etc. Shelves empty. No lettuces ( @horsefly "what iceberg" indeed!)

covid has and will exacerbate a major problem

with HGV drivers it is one of brexit - being told to fck off out of the country doesn't help, but the real shortage of EU drivers is the sheer stupidity of loading on to them rules, regulations, barriers, delays and costs that the UK's membership of the EU swept away

this counts both ways, with UK drivers seeing their earnings cut drastically as they are being help up with long delays (imagine the chaos on the Norfolk/Suffolk borders if the thick as sht brexiteers had their way)

the problem with salad goods is they have a very limited shelf life as with fruit - the brexiteers idea that if the UK got rid of EU pickers, sorters, wharehouse, drivers and shop staff it would all be ok because other whining brexiteers would rush to fill the vacancies can now been seen for the stupidity it was always going to be

this stuff cannot be hoarded, and rots in the field very quickly

"Michael Bloomberg, the billionaire media mogul and former mayor of New York, has said Brexit is the “single stupidest thing any country has ever done”. Bloomberg argued that “it is really hard to understand why a country that was doing so well wanted to ruin it

And ruin it they are, as fruit rots in the fields, fishing boats lie tied up in ports all around Britain, businesses are either folding or moving abroad, tens of thousands of UK people have been forced out of their homes in Europe and the queues at passport control continue to lengthen

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Daily Mail

"Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews said on Monday morning: 'I hadn't heard of her before and I don't want to hear about her ever again."

Sounds like Hatie made quite an impression 

It is highly amusing that someone who speaks their mind be told to leave Australia of all places? There is only so much an Aussie will put up with.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 16:18, Indy said:

Yes but not his worst lie, that’s still the claim to have raised all the money and installed the memorial bench for the fallen WW2 Canadian pilot, when the press clippings clearly showed otherwise!

care to tell us all why you were not lying about this swindle o

or maybe your instagram girlfriend

Here Martin, a quick tip. I wouldn't threaten someone if all my details are out on the Internet too. You may pick on the wrong person. 

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

yep !

Good to see you admitting to being the king of morons. A moment of honesty at last.

41 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

This is the The Positive Brexit Thread not have go at SwindonCanary   

So why don’t you come up with something positive instead of constantly talking about things not even related to Brexit, let alone positive.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

So when they need vaccines we tell them to f*** off, now we can sell them something we want to know them. 
I thought the EU already had a trade scheme with developing nations ? But I will stand to be corrected.

One last point which again I will stand to be corrected on but I thought we weren’t flavour of the month with these countries due to reduction in overseas aid ?

• Like 1

I see Cummins isn’t very complimentary about you either Swindon says you have a screw loose. He also says the 350 million a week which you told us was true was a deliberate lie.

Despite running the successful Vote Leave campaign in the referendum, Mr Cummings said that "no-one on Earth" could be certain it had been the right decision to quit the EU.

"I think anyone who says they're sure about questions like that has a screw loose, whether you're on the Remain side or on our side," he said.

But the Leave campaign has come in for criticism over its use during the campaign of a controversial claim that the UK was giving £350m a week to the EU.

Questioned over this, Mr Cummings said it had been a trap "to try and drive the Remain campaign and the people running it crazy, so they would start arguing about it".

5 hours ago, Well b back said:

So what idiot would sign a deal with the EU that they think is not very good. Maybe Johnson signed at gunpoint.

No, Johnson was solely focussed on being PM - and so as with much else in his adult life he was either unable or unwilling to accept responsibility for his actions.

The NI protocol is now, as was explained way back in 2015. But like that thicko in Lowestoft Jane Mummery, thickos were willing and desperate to trust the words of an habitual liar. As much as I would like to win the lottery I would not believe someone who told me they knew next Saturdays winning numbers, and would share them with me for £1000.

Yet that was the stupidity of brexiteers. Nothing that is happening now was not already known. Promises of free trade deals, unlimited fish and continued access to the Single Market were always lies, just as any claim that the world is square.

Among the daily whining from brexiteers I have yet to read of one, yep just the one instance, of something that has happened that they were not warned of previously.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

Cummins finished with it was a good idea to leave  

Cummings even said you had a screw loose and also said they lied about the 350 million on the bus, but you and the big fat liar said they didn’t.

£54 million to France to do something they were doing before brexit. More winning. 

9 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

For those of you who don't want to read the link I've done a precise of Lord Frosts comments.

"I did a sh!t job on the original agreement and now I'm going to make it worse"

that's not quite what he said 

.... he also added, "we are desperate to pin the blame on the EU rather than admit our own incompetence. A few people are still falling for it...." 

• Like 1

You wouldn't want Frost negotiating on your behalf if you were kidnapped. 🤣

We're going to kill the hostage...that's fine, we'll worry about that later...Bang, Bang, Bang...Errrr, on second thoughts, can we talk this through a bit more...sure no problem, btw here's your dead hostage, now you were saying...Errrrr, well it was your fault, you didn't think I was serious now did you?

Apples

• Haha 4