Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Rather a glum outlook for our entertainment and culture industry. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/21/eu-prepares-cut-amount-british-tv-film-shown-brexit?

The roll of bad news from Brexit continues really.

I remember going to France inthe early 80's and they had a French language rule for the music industry. The radio had a limit on non-French songs and one of the bars we drank in only had Night boat to Cairo by Madness as the only non-French record. We listened to it a lot. We also discovered Jonny Haliday, the French Elvis.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Rather a glum outlook for our entertainment and culture industry. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/21/eu-prepares-cut-amount-british-tv-film-shown-brexit?

The roll of bad news from Brexit continues really.

Got to feel sorry for them not being able to watch East Enders and Coronation St anymore

😀😉

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth

https://www.cityam.com/unicorn-nest-uk-hits-milestone-of-100-1bn-tech-companies-more-than-rest-of-europe-combined/?utm_content=buffer746fe&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by ricardo

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Got to feel sorry for them not being able to watch East Enders and Coronation St anymore

😀😉

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth

https://www.cityam.com/unicorn-nest-uk-hits-milestone-of-100-1bn-tech-companies-more-than-rest-of-europe-combined/?utm_content=buffer746fe&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I think you've missed the bigger picture here R. It's not about Eastenders or Coronation St but loss of jobs and income. 

Still, you can look forward to your Brexit TV and celebrate your sovereignty!

I think he's busy trying to find out what unicorn/fintech startups are.

48 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I think you've missed the bigger picture here R. It's not about Eastenders or Coronation St but loss of jobs and income. 

Still, you can look forward to your Brexit TV and celebrate your sovereignty!

We live in a video on demand world, people can choose what they want to watch through Netflix, Youtube etc. It is dominated by English language so if the EU are worried they can subsidise whatever they like. Fancy living in a country where they tell you what you can't watch? In a modern digitised world there are so many ways round this nonsense.

Countries such as France have gone further, setting a 60% quota for European works on VOD and demanding 15% of the turnover of the platforms is spent in production of European audiovisual and cinematographic works.

All that happens is Netflix jack up local prices to pay for this stuff within the EU or they literally pay people peanuts to produce random **** that they know no one will watch.Yes back on planet Earth the likes of Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and Sky/Comcast are expanding UK television and film production. 

Edited by ricardo

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Swindon may well come here to say he is a Conservative voter and. Leave voter so it's a massive  96% vote saying Brexit has been going well!

Seriously, I'm not surprised at the list except for Labour voters at only 5%. Clearly something going on there and you wonder if Starmer will look more closely and drill deeper into the detail. Somehow I doubt it.

Anyone remember when the French tried the same with music?

The French government tried demanding that x% of music played on the radio had to be French. at least one French station retaliated by playing one French song repeatedly, to make the quota....😀

Probably Johnny bloody Haliday😉

Edited by ricardo

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

We live in a video on demand world, people can choose what they want to watch through Netflix, Youtube etc. It is dominated by English language so if the EU are worried they can subsidise whatever they like. Fancy living in a country where they tell you what you can't watch? In a modern digitised world there are so many ways round this nonsense.

Countries such as France have gone further, setting a 60% quota for European works on VOD and demanding 15% of the turnover of the platforms is spent in production of European audiovisual and cinematographic works.

All that happens is Netflix jack up local prices to pay for this stuff within the EU or they literally pay people peanuts to produce random **** that they know no one will watch.

A lot of French TV is locally produced. Don't know much about other countries. Also they have been trying to prioritise French over English for a good decade. That said, there is a lot of overdubbed American TV on their main channels. I reckon anglicisation will be quite a battle to protect against even after Brexit.  A bit like the Americanisation of parts of our culture. Difficult to be an 'island' and all that. Unless you're North Korea I suppose😉

21 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

My names not Jack and I don't need any beans !

But they're magic beans Swindo, just like the ones Boris sold you!

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The French government tried demanding that x% of music played on the radio had to be French. at least one French station retaliated by playing one French song repeatedly, to make the quota....😀

They still do this. Their non stop music channels for example. You can listen and predict what language will be next. The trouble is really that English artists over the years have written loads of the best tunes. Music is universal, archetypal so it gets through!

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

A lot of French TV is locally produced. Don't know much about other countries. Also they have been trying to prioritise French over English for a good decade.

With little effect.

Until the Americans stop speaking English then that language is going to dominate the entertainment industry in most of the world.

Unless the rest of us are all forced to learn Mandarin.

14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

They still do this. Their non stop music channels for example. You can listen and predict what language will be next. The trouble is really that English artists over the years have written loads of the best tunes. Music is universal, archetypal so it gets through!

Exactly, people are going to watch and listen to whatever they want and they are spolit for choice.

Essentially all TV viewing will be streaming* by the time we reach the 2030s, at which point quotas are going to look damn silly unless you plan on forcing viewers to watch shows.

Edited by ricardo

Exactly, people are going to watch and listen to whatever they want and they are spolit for choice.

Essentially all TV viewing will be streaming* by the time we reach the 2030s, at which point quotas are going to look damn silly unless you plan on forcing viewers to watch shows.

Quite often I will watch CNN news just to get a feel for something other than the UK style format.

However, I don't watch French, German, Spanish TV because

(a) its shoite

(b) I don't speak the languages

(c) I don't need to because I have several hundred English speaking channels and I doubt I watch more than a dozen of them.

They said that Johnny Hallyday brought rock and roll back to France. 

I don't remember them having it in the first place.

If they're classing GDPs as trade deals then we just threw away a $19trillion dollar trade deal away. Well done brexiters.

So we have withdrawn from a trade organisation on our "doorstep", with which we do circa 50% of our trade, in order to join another much inferior trade organisation where the members are at least 4000 miles distant. Is it me or is it a touch contradictory to argue that the main reason for withdrawing from the EU (to regain the UK's sovereignty) no longer applies when Truss is desperate to join a trade organisation, the rules over which we have no say ?

Nigel certainly thinks so:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1392404/nigel-farage-news-eu-brexit-tpp-cptpp-donald-trump-joe-biden-spt

Edited by horsefly

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The value of the Australia deal was 1p per week each over ten years for us in the UK. Is there any reason why this should any more beneficial, or is it just more aimless guff targeted to distract the gullible?

42 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The value of the Australia deal was 1p per week each over ten years for us in the UK. Is there any reason why this should any more beneficial, or is it just more aimless guff targeted to distract the gullible?

It's a deal the EU have been trying to do for a very long time and still can't 

13 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's a deal the EU have been trying to do for a very long time and still can't 

The EU was invited to join in Jan 2021. That puts them 5 months ahead of the UK.

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

They still have not done it, can't they get all the country's to agree 😉 

You talk some s***

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Many of the member countries in the CPTPP already have trade agreements with the EU so the answer is 'Yes'.

14 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

They all agree on how to use an apostrophe correctly.