Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Come on Nigel, you toldĀ us Brits would be forming massive queues for the jobs, but you never told us you bigger plan was to make us all vegans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57512243

Must be why Truss negotiated a deal with OZ to allow our young people to go and work on Australian farms so they can flood our market with sub-standard meat.

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

šŸ˜‚ Not in Leeds they haven't, https://www.leedsforeurope.org/how-to-fight-brexit - there's a protest in the centre of town a week today at 4pm if you'd like to pop along šŸ˜‚

I realise that travelling this far north would probably give you a nose bleed but it might surprise you to get a brief taste of reality rather than the total cr@p you spend your time looking at online.

Did I get your back up with that link ?Ā  The idea was to show how out of touch this board isĀ Ā šŸ¤£

Swindon Canary, Mello Yello, Rock The Boat, Crafty Canary, General Franco, Augusto Pinochet, Adolf Hitler, Margrat Vatchur.................Your boys took one hell of a beating tonight.............

Ā 

Ā 
It can be done.šŸ‘
Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Swindon Canary, Mello Yello, Rock The Boat, Crafty Canary, General Franco, Augusto Pinochet, Adolf Hitler, Margrat Vatchur.................Your boys took one hell of a beating tonight.............

Ā 

Ā 
It can be done.šŸ‘

I've woken up to this news and whilst I won't get carried away it shows what is possible. Looks like a progressive opposition might be achievable in areas I never thought possible. It's a win for decent values isn't it?

Ā 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I've woken up to this news and whilst I won't get carried away it shows what is possible. Looks like a progressive opposition might be achievable in areas I never thought possible. It's a win for decent values isn't it?

Ā 

I said nothing lasts forever the other day, is this the start of sensible voters waking up? This government hopefully is on borrowed time and will be kicked out next election!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Did I get your back up with that link ?Ā  The idea was to show how out of touch this board isĀ Ā šŸ¤£

Obviously as out of touch as the poultry exporters in the UK.Ā 

Don't worry, we'll soon to be able to choose between surplus UK poultry and imported Aussie poultry, aren't we lucky!

Ā 

2 hours ago, Herman said:

At least it was not Labour šŸ™‚

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

At least it was not Labour šŸ™‚

No one cares it wasn't Labour. Conservatives lost a seat that they have never lost, tactical voting looks like it is back and there are a lot of Tory MPs who look like dead men walking today.

• Like 1

I used to live in thatĀ constituencyĀ years ago. HS2 is a localĀ issue in parts but most are fairly well educated comfortable London commuters in very expensive properties. I suspectĀ Johnson's shallow 'oik' party and values was an anathema toĀ mostĀ and a well deserved trouncingĀ followed.

21 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

that would have to happen to a lot of seats to turn over the Conservatives in the election

It was a swing of over 25%. That wouldĀ see off swathes of Tories. Do the maths (if you're capable). The reality of a disatrous brexit,Ā a calamatous response to Covid, and a government mired in corruption, is beginning to sink in with the voters.Ā 

Edited by horsefly

54 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

that would have to happen to a lot of seats to turn over the Conservatives in the election

Funny that when it happens to Labour, its considered a disaster but this is not?

Grow up man and admit there is definitely a groundswell of people who just don't like liars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Funny that when it happens to Labour, its considered a disaster but this is not?

Grow up man and admit there is definitely a groundswell of people who just don't like liars.

Losing Amersham for the Tories is much worse that Labour losing Hartlepool, in my opinion, where the right wing vote was split between UKIP and the Tories since 2015.Ā 

Amersham was 73% Tory + UKIP in 2015. That's a huge swing to over 60% progressive now. I wonder if it's an HS2 anomaly though..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

Losing Amersham for the Tories is much worse that Labour losing Hartlepool, in my opinion, where the right wing vote was split between UKIP and the Tories since 2015.Ā 

Amersham was 73% Tory + UKIP in 2015. That's a huge swing to over 60% progressive now. I wonder if it's an HS2 anomaly though..

More plausibly a lying, cheating, corrupt, incompetent prime minister anomaly

Edited by horsefly

1 minute ago, kirku said:

HS2 was a hot issue when I lived there 20 years ago. Didn't cause upsets then. An issue yes but I suspect smallĀ compared to the distaste forĀ this government.Ā 

That's not what I've read - potholes and HS2 the biggest issues on the doorstep.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

If this swing was repeated in a GE, unlikely I know, the Tories would lose 140 seats.

More than enough

2 hours ago, kirku said:

That's not what I've read - potholes and HS2 the biggest issues on the doorstep.

Housing is another issue the tories are going to have to start worrying about. Most people know we need more but where they are putting them, the lack of other infrastructure building, the size of buildings, parking etc etc is getting people grumbling. The lack of joined up thinking is going to cause them a lot of headaches down the line.Ā 

5 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

They are only out votedĀ  inĀ Chesham and Amersham and this section of the boardĀ 

Oxford and Cambridge County Councils?Ā 

3 hours ago, kirku said:

Issues yes but not large enoughĀ to cause this magnitude of a swing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

They are only out votedĀ  inĀ Chesham and Amersham and this section of the boardĀ 

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

You just cannot accept losing can you

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Now there's a politicalĀ insight. Have you thought of standing for Parliament yourself? We need you.

• Haha 1

Meanwhile ... all that guff about Brexit means Britain can now lead in science and new industries ...Ā 

Science.jpg

8 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Now there's a politicalĀ insight. Have you thought of standing for Parliament yourself? We need you.

The thing is Surfer, Swindon doesn't realise that A is the country post-Brexit and B is Swindon (like the rest of us....well maybe not completely). It will sink in afterĀ a period of time. 5 years?

Screenshot 2021-06-18 15.06.36.png

14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Hi YF....it appears the times are a changing... Decent journalist is Harris

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/18/conservative-seat-england-middle-class-chesham-and-amersham-tories?

...and copied fyiĀ @kirku

Agreed. When I lived there I was in favour of HS2 (lots and lots of Nimbys - endless HS2Ā crosses here signs (Wendover, Gt. Missenden) but it wasĀ thenĀ only 30Bn or so. However I recall some localĀ insight - HS2Ā was never really about the 'North' - it was simply an excuse to increase line capacity on the commuter lines into London from such places indeed as Amersham, Chesham,Ā Berkhamsted etc! Ironically the areas were prosperousĀ mainlyĀ becauseĀ of the very commuter linesĀ theyĀ oppose.

At 100Bn + money is muchĀ better spent elsewhere.Ā 

Edited by Yellow Fever

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Agreed. When I lived there I was in favour of HS2 (lots and lots of Nimbys - endless HS2Ā crosses here signs (Wendover, Gt. Missenden) but it wasĀ thenĀ only 30Bn or so. However I recall some localĀ insight - HS2Ā was never really about the 'North' - it was simply an excuse to increase line capacity on the commuter lines into London from such places indeed as Amersham, Chesham,Ā Berkhamsted etc. intoĀ London! Ironically the areas were prosperousĀ mainlyĀ becauseĀ of the very commuter linesĀ theyĀ oppose.

At 100Bn + money is muchĀ better spent elsewhere.Ā 

Agree very much. The HS3 trans northern line should be the first priority. (a) it will 'level up' things far more than anything else (linking Liverpool and the Atlantic) with the North Sea at Hull and will speed up the movement of goods - support exports and importsĀ  too across the country. This was argued very strongly bu the original Northern Way discussions a decade ago but the turned into the Northern Powerhouse. (b) such a move would really grow the economies of deprived towns and cities right across the north. The escalating costs and losses of habitat too, not to mention the supposed payback and value makes HS2 something that should be shelved. HS2 wasn't a bad idea as such, but as you've stated there are many other infrastructure projects that would be more beneficial.

22 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Ā