Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

7 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

There's a piece in the Torygraph today complaining that the EU knew the deal wasn't a good one for the UK and they should not have signed it.

Also says the UK signed 'under duress'.

I must've missed the picture of Barnier with a gun in one hand and a pen in the other. 🤣

Sadly some people are going to believe this absolute b0ll0x.

Brexit ws

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

Oh dear. Meanwhile ... President Macron telling it like it is ... 

Macron.jpg

Anyone thinking the EU will allow the single market to be undermined because Boris and Frosty are upset that their NI protocol scam has been exposed, is living in cloud cuckoo land. There was a very easy way out of this problem, which was to agree to abide by EU food quality and safety standards rather than allow those standards to be lowered for UK citizens. The Tory's desperation to do trade deals with countries wanting to flood our market with sub-standard food made the NI protocol a sine qua non. There is simply no way the EU could tolerate NI becoming a conduit for such food into the SM. Johnson and Frost knew this, they lied about it, and they clearly thought that the deception and its results was a price worth paying. Blame for the current impasse rests firmly on their shoulders.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bojo today:

He also said that some EU leaders he had spoken to “do seem to misunderstand that the UK is a single country, a single territory. I just need to get that into their heads”.

Says the PM who renegotiated the  Withdrawal Agreement specifically to put the border in the Irish Sea and split Northern Ireland off from Britain. Unless Biden applies serious pressure this is going to go very pear-shaped.

On 10/06/2021 at 14:45, horsefly said:

How many times do you need to be told that for legal purposes treaties are treated as contracts. FFS I sent you several links explaining this and you still come up with this boneheaded response. 

No point you trying to slide around this, a treaty and a contract are not the same. 

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

No point you trying to slide around this, a treaty and a contract are not the same. 

So are you saying it doesn't matter if we renege? You were all holier than thou that the vote had to be respected. But it doesn't apply when you decide it doesn't.

You have fcuked it up and trying to worm your way out by calling for compromise. Wasn't that what many of us called for originally but were told leave means leave.

Well if Britain leaves, it includes NI and checks have to be made. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

You really are as thick as two planks. What is it about the clause "for legal purposes" that you don't understand? FFS just read the links I posted ages ago, they are written at a level that even a total moron ought to understand. They point out the simple fact that when a party to a treaty takes a dispute over an alleged breach of treaty by another party to court, it is treated as the same as a breach of contract. This is precisely what the EU are threatening to do to the UK. It really isn't difficult to grasp. Just for once act like a grown up.

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Bojo today:

He also said that some EU leaders he had spoken to “do seem to misunderstand that the UK is a single country, a single territory. I just need to get that into their heads”.

Says the PM who renegotiated the  Withdrawal Agreement specifically to put the border in the Irish Sea and split Northern Ireland off from Britain. Unless Biden applies serious pressure this is going to go very pear-shaped.

And later on what BoJo does best (in the sense that it is what he does all the time when it comes to Brexit), an outright lie:

He told Sky News the EU was constructing “all kinds of impediments”

No. Not one constructed impediment. Simply implementing your renegotiated deal. How about putting it in dog Latin if four-syllable lies won't wash with EU leaders who have known for years that you cannot be trusted? Damn. One of those got there first, telling you:

'Pacta sunt servanda'. 'A deal must  be honoured.'

What is left for Bojo? Only that well known piece of very mongrel Latin:

'Snafu'.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Says ex MEP for Brexit Party.

Do you ever search for the middle ground?

No I SEACH FOR THE TRUTH !

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

And always fail to find it. Sea goers and mountain climbers will be relieved you live in Swindon and are unable to volunteer for search and rescue organisations.

6 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

You should seach for a ductionary. Or lean to tope.

Allo Allo policeman Meme Generator - Imgflip

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's starting to feel that if you voted for brexit you are more likely to get it in the neck. Fisherman, farmers, the people of Kent etc. I, ironically, am doing rather well from it.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/12/fruit-farming-on-brink-of-collapse-as-brexit-causes-shortage-of-pickers-14759484/

Also the hospitality sector.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/19350077.cumbrias-tourism-industry-in-crisis-state-due-staff-shortages---say-bosses/

As the county’s official 'Destination Managment Organisation', Cumbria Tourism has long been supporting businesses through the Brexit transition period, campaigning vigorously for hospitality workers to be afforded the same recognition as agricultural labourers, whose designation as skilled removes multiple barriers from the new Australian-style points-based system.

Businesses across Cumbria are taking a variety of steps to mitigate the challenge, including increasing salaries, improving shift patterns, offering accommodation and a whole range of additional benefits.

Although Cumbria’s recruitment challenge is not a new issue, it has been reported that the problem has been being made worse by several factors, including staff moving on because of Covid, travel restrictions, as well as post-Brexit immigration policy changes.

• Thanks 1

Ah but...one company is managing to navigate Brexit although with a struggle (see note in the link from its annual report) ....and is now one of the best railway companies in the UK😀

https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements/hornby-sounds-confident-note-on-outlook-despite-supply-issues--7981874.html

@Herman that Hull article is quite a sad one and a "slow car crash" seems about the best 3 word description of the effects of Brexit as I've read🙁

Edited by sonyc

Cheers @sonyc👍

Yes, it's a "fantastic" all round article. Sadly it highlights the nuances that many have been pointing out,the changes to the industry, from the cod wars through to climate change, the policies and other hurdles but sadly the simplest explanation "the EU's fault" easily wins out.

Well done to Hornby btw. Many hobby shops and suppliers had a boom time through covid but some have simply given up sending to Europe.

On 13/06/2021 at 10:16, Herman said:

Quite, where is @paul moy when you need him, he always had an awful lot (of rubbish) to say about Brexit and fishing - perhaps he has a cogent explanation for why things have turned out so radically different to the outcomes he predicted?

• Haha 1

Now here is a proper and utterly correct rant that a lot of the brexiters should listen to.

On 13/06/2021 at 05:29, horsefly said:

And always fail to find it. Sea goers and mountain climbers will be relieved you live in Swindon and are unable to volunteer for search and rescue organisations.

look at GB News, it's now the most watched news programme I think you will find you are out of line with the majority 😉

5 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

look at GB News, it's now the most watched news programme I think you will find you are out of line with the majority 😉

Of course it's got more viewers, everyone is fascinated to see how big a car crash it is going to be.