Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Correct. About 7000 jobs have moved. The project fear prediction was hundreds of thousands of jobs would move. Why were the predictions so wrong, can you tell us?

How about you tell us who said 'hundreds of thousands'?

3 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

This is b0ll0x. The Dutch are reaping the reward of French stupidity at Calais trying to make British exporters lives as difficult as possible. As a result companies are moving operations away from France to Holland. As was predicted a long time ago and as I said would happen if the French behaved like the idiots they are. 

You really are missing the point.

You wanted to Leave. You got your wish. Then afterwards, you wanted the group you left to bend over backwards to assist you.

That is the typical British John Bull, the French owe us after WWII, attitude that makes me understand why the group of 400M+ thinks us 70M are wingeing Poms.

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You wanted to Leave. You got your wish. Then afterwards, you wanted the group you left to bend over backwards to assist you.

That is the typical British John Bull, the French owe us after WWII, attitude that makes me understand why the group of 400M+ thinks us 70M are wingeing Poms.

I think the realisation that the British aren't exceptional and a special case has really upset the Brexitty British exceptionalists.

The extracts from Barnier's just-published diary are interesting, but most relevant to the here and now is this completely unsurprising example of perfidious Albion:

Right up until the end, Barnier writes, the British team kept the Europeans busy, submitting a final legal text on the fraught subject of fisheries on 23 December last year “stuffed with traps, pseudo-compromises and attempts to backtrack”.

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

‘At least the Nazis kept the lights on’: UK blasts France for threat to cut off Jersey’s power

French ministers said they would cut off electricity to the Channel Island unless a row over Brexit fishing licences was resolved

Britain has attacked France for “unacceptable” threats to cut off Jersey’s electricity supplies in a row over Brexit fishing rights with government sources warning that not even the Channel Island’s **** occupiers sank so low. 

Annick Giradin, the French maritime minister,  said on Tuesday that Paris could shut down three undersea cables that provide Jersey with 95 percent of its electricity if the dispute over fishing licences in its waters were not resolved. 

Should France carry out its threat, there appears to be little the UK Government could do to provide alternative means of power. The remaining 5pc of the largest Channel Island’s energy mix is largely on-island diesel generators. 

"At least when the Germans invaded they kept the lights on," a government source said, referring to the five years of occupation during World War Two. 

"The problem is there is no undersea connector to Jersey, so it's not as though we could turn on a switch if they turn one off," another source said.

A third source said that the “surprising and disappointing” French threat was just the latest in a string of confrontations sparked by the EU and its members since Brexit. 

“This is just the latest example of the EU issuing threats as a first resort at any sign of difficulty. They should be using the mechanisms of our new Treaty to solve problems; that is exactly what it is there for.”

The UK-EU trade deal has a series of dispute resolution procedures, which can ultimately lead to the imposition of fines or trade tariffs. 

A government spokesperson said, “To threaten Jersey like this is clearly unacceptable and disproportionate. 

“We are working closely with the EU and Jersey on fisheries access provisions following the end of the Transition Period so trust the French will use the mechanisms of our new treaty to solve problems.”

“We are ready to use these retaliation measures," Ms Girardin told lawmakers in the French parliament on Tuesday. "I am sorry it has come to this. We will do so if we have to."

Jersey is a self-governing British Crown Dependency and, according to Defra, responsible for fishing in its territorial waters but its international relations are the UK’s responsibility. 

The row came after the island implemented new requirements under the terms of the UK-EU trade deal for boats to submit evidence of their past fishing activities in order to receive a licence to carry on operating in Jersey waters.

Jersey's External Relations Minister, Senator Ian Gorst  told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: "This is not the first threat that the French have made to either Jersey or the United Kingdom since we are into this new deal.”

"It would seem disproportionate to cut off electricity for the sake of needing to provide extra details so that we can refine the licences."

Mr Gorst said the Jersey government was now seeking permission from London and Brussels to speak directly with the French fishermen to resolve the issue.

He said the island was not seeking to bar boats which had historically fished in Jersey waters and said that of the 41 boats which sought licences under the new rules last Friday, all but 17 had provided the evidence required.

No we don't want them to assist us, we merely want them to stop being cnuts.

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The extracts from Barnier's just-published diary are interesting, but most relevant to the here and now is this completely unsurprising example of perfidious Albion:

Right up until the end, Barnier writes, the British team kept the Europeans busy, submitting a final legal text on the fraught subject of fisheries on 23 December last year “stuffed with traps, pseudo-compromises and attempts to backtrack”.

I just saw this quote on May and Raab.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

‘At least the Nazis kept the lights on’: UK blasts France for threat to cut off Jersey’s power

French ministers said they would cut off electricity to the Channel Island unless a row over Brexit fishing licences was resolved

Britain has attacked France for “unacceptable” threats to cut off Jersey’s electricity supplies in a row over Brexit fishing rights with government sources warning that not even the Channel Island’s **** occupiers sank so low. 

Annick Giradin, the French maritime minister,  said on Tuesday that Paris could shut down three undersea cables that provide Jersey with 95 percent of its electricity if the dispute over fishing licences in its waters were not resolved. 

Should France carry out its threat, there appears to be little the UK Government could do to provide alternative means of power. The remaining 5pc of the largest Channel Island’s energy mix is largely on-island diesel generators. 

"At least when the Germans invaded they kept the lights on," a government source said, referring to the five years of occupation during World War Two. 

"The problem is there is no undersea connector to Jersey, so it's not as though we could turn on a switch if they turn one off," another source said.

A third source said that the “surprising and disappointing” French threat was just the latest in a string of confrontations sparked by the EU and its members since Brexit. 

“This is just the latest example of the EU issuing threats as a first resort at any sign of difficulty. They should be using the mechanisms of our new Treaty to solve problems; that is exactly what it is there for.”

The UK-EU trade deal has a series of dispute resolution procedures, which can ultimately lead to the imposition of fines or trade tariffs. 

A government spokesperson said, “To threaten Jersey like this is clearly unacceptable and disproportionate. 

“We are working closely with the EU and Jersey on fisheries access provisions following the end of the Transition Period so trust the French will use the mechanisms of our new treaty to solve problems.”

“We are ready to use these retaliation measures," Ms Girardin told lawmakers in the French parliament on Tuesday. "I am sorry it has come to this. We will do so if we have to."

Jersey is a self-governing British Crown Dependency and, according to Defra, responsible for fishing in its territorial waters but its international relations are the UK’s responsibility. 

The row came after the island implemented new requirements under the terms of the UK-EU trade deal for boats to submit evidence of their past fishing activities in order to receive a licence to carry on operating in Jersey waters.

Jersey's External Relations Minister, Senator Ian Gorst  told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: "This is not the first threat that the French have made to either Jersey or the United Kingdom since we are into this new deal.”

"It would seem disproportionate to cut off electricity for the sake of needing to provide extra details so that we can refine the licences."

Mr Gorst said the Jersey government was now seeking permission from London and Brussels to speak directly with the French fishermen to resolve the issue.

He said the island was not seeking to bar boats which had historically fished in Jersey waters and said that of the 41 boats which sought licences under the new rules last Friday, all but 17 had provided the evidence required.

No we don't want them to assist us, we merely want them to stop being cnuts.

I didn't think it would be our fault. Those dirty foreigners keep threatening us for no reason other than we lie and deceive.

I suppose no power means all those offshore accounts could go missing.

Edited by keelansgrandad
mistake

I'm shocked. Jersey has electricity?!

Anyway, "War with France" is trending on twitter. Good vote winner. 😀

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

Anyway, "War with France" is trending on twitter. Good vote winner. 😀

Aye, the BBC seem surprised that Boris supports Jersey 🤔 Of course sending two Royal Navy patrol vessels to monitor protestation will do Boris and the conservatives no harm at all tomorrow, no matter how the BBC or fellow Remainiacs try to spin it 🙃

One has to feel a tad sorry for Sir Kneel-alot (I don't) -- He isn't just hopeless & hapless, he's also terminally unlucky 😀

How's the refurbishment costs investigation going? 🤣

55 minutes ago, Herman said:

My fellow residents on the tiny island of Alderney have told me to tell you to get out more 🙃

16 minutes ago, Jools said:

Aye, the BBC seem surprised that Boris supports Jersey 🤔 Of course sending two Royal Navy patrol vessels to monitor protestation will do Boris and the conservatives no harm at all tomorrow, no matter how the BBC or fellow Remainiacs try to spin it 🙃

One has to feel a tad sorry for Sir Kneel-alot (I don't) -- He isn't just hopeless & hapless, he's also terminally unlucky 😀

How's the refurbishment costs investigation going? 🤣

Two vessels. Thats half the Navy. Those clever Gauls are going to sneak all our fish when our Jolly Jack Tars are making sure all the billionaires keep their swimming pools heated.

2 minutes ago, Jools said:

My fellow residents on the tiny island of Alderney have told me to tell you to get out more 🙃

Any chance of buying a house there?

I wish Jools would get out more. Delhi or Manaus preferably. 

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Any chance of buying a house there?

Unfortunately, property purchase law was relaxed last December, Grandpapa, which means you could purchase property for as little as £180,000... 

Come on over 😉

49 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Two vessels. Thats half the Navy. Those clever Gauls are going to sneak all our fish when our Jolly Jack Tars are making sure all the billionaires keep their swimming pools heated.

I know it's gone down since I was in, but I don't think it's half the Navy. Wrong again.

Edited by SwindonCanary

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

I wish Jools would get out more. Delhi or Manaus preferably. 

I've spent time in Delhi, but never visited Manaus, Herminge... 

Unlike Britain, India & Brazil are huge countries that spew out lots of pollution of which you as a Green Party voter is opposed to..

And here you are suggesting tiny Britain should emulate the likes of the most populous, polluted, unsanitary and bacterially unsafe cities on earth...

You are a *u**.

And people get upset when you suggest there are a lot of thick people in the country.🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/05/05/oyster-farmer-it-has-been-an-absolute-disgrace-by-our-government/

owner of the Jersey Oyster Company, described conditions placed upon the new post-Brexit fishing licences issued to Breton and Norman fishermen as ‘insulting and discriminatory’.

He said: ‘I will stand with them and take the Normandy Trader [boat] and be with them to take part in a peaceful protest. It has been an absolute disgrace by our government. It is about protecting people’s historic rights, livelihoods and friendships which have been forged over years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/05/05/oyster-farmer-it-has-been-an-absolute-disgrace-by-our-government/

owner of the Jersey Oyster Company, described conditions placed upon the new post-Brexit fishing licences issued to Breton and Norman fishermen as ‘insulting and discriminatory’.

He said: ‘I will stand with them and take the Normandy Trader [boat] and be with them to take part in a peaceful protest. It has been an absolute disgrace by our government. It is about protecting people’s historic rights, livelihoods and friendships which have been forged over years.

Reads like a flashback to 1940 except then it was a German holding a gun to the Jerseyman's head. Today it's the French. 

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Reads like a flashback to 1940 except then it was a German holding a gun to the Jerseyman's head. Today it's the French. 

So they are literally threatening them with guns are they?

Ah yes, let's have a nice slaparound with the French to try and bury the widespread corruption Johnson and cronies have been getting up to, eh?

Something about burying bad news.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The wonderful legacy of brexit: Uk fishermen's lives being ruined, EU fishermen's lives being ruined, and we're wasting hundreds of thousands of taxpayer's money sending in the Navy to precipitate a potential international incident with a market economy that is vital to the industry. Yes indeed! so much to be positive about  this calamitous act of gross self-harm.

10 minutes ago, horsefly said:

The wonderful legacy of brexit: Uk fishermen's lives being ruined, EU fishermen's lives being ruined, and we're wasting hundreds of thousands of taxpayer's money sending in the Navy to precipitate a potential international incident with a market economy that is vital to the industry. Yes indeed! so much to be positive about  this calamitous act of gross self-harm.

Headline in Tory Rag said "Gunboats". Surely the SAS is there as well. 

Like it or not all you John Bulls, the French, when upset, do something about it. Not crying and moaning like us Brits.

But of course, we saved them during WWII so they owe us big style.

It didn't take long for David Cameron's warning on instability in Europe caused by Brexit. 😲

Peace in Europe could be at risk if Britain votes to leave the European Union, David Cameron has warned.

The UK has regretted "turning its back" on Europe in the past, the PM said, arguing the EU had "helped reconcile" countries and maintain peace.

Was leaving the union a "risk worth taking", Mr Cameron asked.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It didn't take long for David Cameron's warning on instability in Europe caused by Brexit. 😲

Peace in Europe could be at risk if Britain votes to leave the European Union, David Cameron has warned.

The UK has regretted "turning its back" on Europe in the past, the PM said, arguing the EU had "helped reconcile" countries and maintain peace.

Was leaving the union a "risk worth taking", Mr Cameron asked.

Grow up!

1 minute ago, Jools said:

Grow up!

Haha! Says the man who just posted a link saying the "French wages war on Britain" (not sure why NI is excluded). Grow up indeed you fool.

I can't believe that putting a buffoon in charge of a country, with no capability to do fine details, has lead us to this mess. In 5 months. 🤣