Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Well b back

42 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

only 32% would vote for us to return to the EU  I predict in 10 years that will be down to almost zero 

Now there’s a Johnson.

I wrote almost down to zero, because I'm sure there will be some on here who are still for it !

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

The reasons we are trying to renegotiate the oven ready deal. Interesting that it says ( assuming correct ) Boris will gain politically from the Australian deal, whilst Australia will gain economically.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-56931396

Worse I suspect it will be inferior to the EU one !

Anyway - once 'Johnson the Duplicitous' has gone I expect it will all unravel pretty quickly (he will take the blame) as more sensible, pragmatic and practical politicians come the fore.

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Well b back

42 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

only 32% would vote for us to return to the EU  I predict in 10 years that will be down to almost zero 

Now there’s a Johnson.

I wrote almost down to zero, because I'm sure there will be some on here who are still for it !

You shew a load of tosh about now. But never mind the facts.

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Why can't they catch the happy British fish that JRM told us about?

Maybe they are to quick for the trawlers and swim away when they see the boats coming.

13 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I voted for Brexit and have not regretted since. I don't feel it's a  'catastrophy' at all, in fact since we've left I've seen my weekly shop at Sainsburys with prices go down and believe they will continue that way. If you feel it's going worse then as you wrote it is early days.

You believe your Sainsburys bill is lower because of Brexit?

You don't think its because of competition from European supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl.

No, of course you won't

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You believe your Sainsburys bill is lower because of Brexit?

You don't think its because of competition from European supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl.

No, of course you won't

Only Waitrose & Ocado are more expensive than Sainsburys. 

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2021/01/cheapest-supermarket-aldi-lidl-morrisons-waitrose-asda/

They obviously have had to do something drastic to compete with the others.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-sainsburys-sees-pre-tax-23995663

Sainsbury's pre-tax profits down 39%

13 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I voted for Brexit and have not regretted since. I don't feel it's a  'catastrophy' at all, in fact since we've left I've seen my weekly shop at Sainsburys with prices go down and believe they will continue that way. If you feel it's going worse then as you wrote it is early days.

Apart from the fact that this is an obvious lie (https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/grocer-price-index/supermarket-prices-rise-as-covid-and-brexit-reignite-inflation/652172.article), it's a bit unfortunate for you that the chief executive of the Road Haulage Association has been on LBC this morning blaming brexit for a serious shortfall in lorry drivers (no more hard working EU drivers being recruited). If I was you bird-brain, I would get back to Sainbury's pronto and stock up on your pot noodles before they become scarce or unavailable. More price rises on the way soon as we all have to fork out for the brexit disaster. 

Did you hear June Mummery on LBC? A proper ill informed brexit rant from one of Nigel Farage's groupies. Made Swindo look like brains of Britain. 

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Who'd be UK fisherman!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56932551

UK and Norway fail to reach fishing deal

More jobs lost.

As members of the EU the UK's fishermen had access to Norwegian waters. No longer the case thanks to brexit. So, not only are our fisherman unable to sell what they catch to europe, they now have significantly less water to fish in. In particular they won't be able to catch the cod that forms the staple of our favourite fast food. Good news for the Norwegian fishermen of course who will be able to ramp up the price for their exported cod. I suppose we could all start eating mackerel and chips instead.

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

Did you hear June Mummery on LBC? A proper ill informed brexit rant from one of Nigel Farage's groupies. Made Swindo look like brains of Britain. 

It was hilarious, but also seriously embarrassing to hear such stupidity pour out in a local accent that will only serve to confirm the "yokel" prejudices of many people. I loved the way O'Brien ridiculed her by playing back her own promises to the fishing industry that brexit would be their salvation. She is now to be known as Loon Flummery.

While we're talking about fishing, has any one else noted that since brexit happened all the RWNJs on this site who couldn't stop talking about fishing before January, have all suddenly gone very quiet on the subject? It's almost as if they are pretending that the fishing industry doesn't exist. Which is very precient of them because thanks to brexit it soon won't.

Edited by horsefly

1 hour ago, Herman said:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/brexit-fishing-ex-mep-june-mummery/

Bless her cotton socks.

I told you so.....

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

It's almost as if they are pretending that the fishing industry doesn't exist. Which is very precient of them because thanks to brexit it soon won't.

Same thought crossed my mind - well at least our next agreement with the EU won't have any fishing issues to address.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

As members of the EU the UK's fishermen had access to Norwegian waters. No longer the case thanks to brexit. So, not only are our fisherman unable to sell what they catch to europe, they now have significantly less water to fish in. In particular they won't be able to catch the cod that forms the staple of our favourite fast food. Good news for the Norwegian fishermen of course who will be able to ramp up the price for their exported cod. I suppose we could all start eating mackerel and chips instead.

We are still the only country in history that voted to apply sanctions on itself.

😀

I am switching off all my social media channels from 3:12pm on Friday 30 April, until 23:59pm on Monday 3 May, in response to the Pink'un ongoing online abuse.

Edited by SwindonCanary

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I am switching off all my social media channels from 3:12pm on Friday 30 April, until 23:59pm on Monday 3 May, in response to the Pink'un ongoing online abuse.

What f*cking abuse you moron!!!

BTW, could you make that Monday 3rd May 2049

Edited by horsefly

6 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

@Jools any chance you can learn to post properly?

It took me ages to scroll past all that 

The eurozone’s Covid recession has arrived ~ 30 April 2021, 1:43pm

The US is booming. The UK is set to grow at the fastest pace in half a century. China is expanding again at a blistering pace. Stock markets are rising. And commodity prices are racing ahead. 

Across most of the world, economists are starting to worry about a runaway boom, stimulated by too much easy money. This, they fear, could easily run out of control. There is one exception, however: the eurozone. As of today, the zone is officially in a double-dip recession. The vaccine downturn has arrived. And while the consequences remain unpredictable, one thing is clear: they won’t be good.

Looking at the figures from Europe out today you certainly wouldn’t guess there was a global recovery from the Covid-19 crisis underway. The eurozone reported a 0.6 per cent drop in quarter-on-quarter GDP. This follows on from a contraction of 0.7 per cent in the final three months of 2020, putting the zone into a technical recession, which is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth. 

The reality is that the eurozone was already the weakest link in the global economy
Germany was the worst hit of the major countries, with a 1.7 per cent fall in output. Spain was down by 0.5 per cent, and Italy by 0.4 per cent (Portugal fell by an alarming 3.3 per cent). France managed to eek out a little growth, but overall output fell for the quarter. The contrast with other regions is painful. The eurozone is now the only major bloc in the world with a double dip downturn.

Of course, it is not hard to work out what went wrong here. Output has been hit by the vaccination catastrophe. While other economies were starting to come out of the Covid-19 crisis, Europe messed up its inoculation programme so badly it had to lock down all over again, especially as new variants of Covid-19 took root. 

True, it is starting to catch up. Germany vaccinated a million people in a single day this week, and France has finally managed to get above 500,000 shots in arms a day. Supplies are improving, and it will match the rest of the developed world soon. And yet the EU’s programme – which was bungled after the Commission hijacked control of health policy – meant a big delay.

We have already seen the health consequences of this. Deaths are running at 200 to 300 a day in France, Italy and Germany while they have dropped to 20-30 a day in the UK. Now the economic consequences of that are becoming clear as well. 

The reality is that the eurozone was already the weakest link in the global economy. Its main members had the slowest growth rates. Its industries were struggling to remain competitive. And its debt ratios were rising off the scale. 

France has overtaken Italy as the world's third largest debtor, while Italy itself is facing trouble over its woeful debt to GDP ratio. Through the Commission’s bungling, its economy has just got smaller, its debts higher, and it has fallen even further behind the rest of the world. 

What are the consequences of this? It's hard to say. But this crisis may well mark a decisive point in the eurozone’s long-term decline.

BY Matthew Lynn

3 minutes ago, Jools said:

And while the consequences remain unpredictable, one thing is clear: they won’t be good.

Thanks for re-posting

If the consequences are genuinely unpredictable, then the writer wouldn't really be able to claim they won't be good 

Matthew Lynn

Spectator columnist.

Say no more.

Of course our economy will grow. It can't sink any further.From June virtually everything will be back to normal. So it will boom.

But ask any real economist and they will tell you, the economy is going to suffer for many years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, horsefly said:

It was hilarious, but also seriously embarrassing to hear such stupidity pour out in a local accent that will only serve to confirm the "yokel" prejudices of many people. I loved the way O'Brien ridiculed her by playing back her own promises to the fishing industry that brexit would be their salvation. She is now to be known as Loon Flummery.

While we're talking about fishing, has any one else noted that since brexit happened all the RWNJs on this site who couldn't stop talking about fishing before January, have all suddenly gone very quiet on the subject? It's almost as if they are pretending that the fishing industry doesn't exist. Which is very precient of them because thanks to brexit it soon won't.

So what exactly wrong with local accents? A lot of people in Norfolk, true local people and not incomers, have local Norfolk accents. You're saying they are yokels? Is there no one you don't patronise?