Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Perhaps all those brexiteers who claim that trade is back to normal would like to explain the latest disastrous figures on dairy exports to the EU released by the Food and Drink Federation:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/why-has-boris-johnson-s-brexit-deal-caused-uk-milk-and-cream-exports-to-plunge/ar-BB1g6UUF?ocid=msedgdhp

Why has Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal caused UK milk and cream exports to plunge?

Milk and cream sales to the EU have slumped 96 per cent as a result of Brexit-related trade barriers, according to figures released this week.

The Food and Drink Federation said the new trading arrangement with Europe had cost exporters more than £1.1bn since January, when Britain left the customs union and single market.

Milk and cream exports collapsed by 96.4 per cent while cheese sales to the EU fell by 64.6 per cent in the year to February.

12 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Given that we've almost definitely over-reported compared to other countries, I wouldn't be surprised if in reality, we aren't even in the top 20.

Actually, the Office for National Statistics have consistently claimed our death toll from Covid-19 is higher than the official figures:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19roundup/2020-03-26

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_United_Kingdom

26 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

up early this morning  to put your rubbish up 

Oh dear bird-brain, your usual inanely stupid comments. These are not my points, they're from the Food and Drink Federation, and the Office for National statistics. However, since you know better (hahahahaha!) please feel free to point out where these esteemed authorities are mistaken in their claims.

Hilarious to read what Dominic Cummings thought of brexiteer loons:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/dominic-cummings-attack-on-brexiteers-as-westminster-row-exploded-thick-as-mince/ar-BB1g64Mf?ocid=msedgdhp

In 2017, Mr Cummings branded then Brexit Secretary David Davis "thick as mince" and "lazy as a toad".

The adviser warned at the time that there was a chance leaving the EU would turn out to be an "error" following a decision by "morons" in Government to withdraw from the European atomic energy community, Euratom.

In a blog, he dubbed the fervently anti-EU ERG "narcissist delusionals" and "useful idiots" whose intransigence "has helped only Remain".

He added: "During the referendum, so many of you guys were too busy shooting or skiing or chasing girls to do any actual work.

"You should be treated like a metastasising tumour and excised from the UK body politic."

EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT FINALLY APPROVE UK-EU POST-BREXIT TRADE DEAL

👍

28 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

FFS! Shall I post videos of UK MPs attacking the UK government? How many would you like to see, 1000, 10,000?

27 minutes ago, Jools said:

EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT FINALLY APPROVE UK-EU POST-BREXIT TRADE DEAL

👍

Excellent news indeed. Glad to see the EU has done its duty, now let's hope the UK government doesn't breach the terms of the deal that it freely signed and described as a "brilliant success".

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

The official figures show that deaths are higher than shown in the official figures?  Its an interesting concept.

There are three main ways of measuring these.   Deaths within 28 days of a first test, excess deaths and covid recorded on a death certificate. Each has pros and each has cons and each is recorded and disclosed.

It's perfectly valid to say that there is over reporting given that excess deaths is materially lower than the 28 day count

Deaths on certificates is, I believe, still above  the 28 day count so you could argue with validity also that there is under reporting.

The end of the scapegoat. Brexiters are fully responsible for what happens now. 

15 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

The official figures show that deaths are higher than shown in the official figures?  Its an interesting concept.

Oh dear! Seems you don't undertand that the official government figures for numbers of Covid-19 deaths are different from the figures calculated by the ONS. I will leave it for you to investigate why the government has decided to use their alternative method of counting the numbers and publishing that number as the official toll.

Edited by horsefly

44 minutes ago, horsefly said:

FFS! Shall I post videos of UK MPs attacking the UK government? How many would you like to see, 1000, 10,000?

It's easy to criticize a government that's in power, as we have seen. I'm hoping you understand that. 

44 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Oh dear! Seems you don't undertand that the official government figures for numbers of Covid-19 deaths are different from the figures calculated by the ONS. I will leave it for you to investigate why the government has decided to use their alternative method of counting the numbers and publishing that number as the official toll.

The ONS are official figures as far as I am concerned.

The government publishes these on the website so they are not exactly trying to hide them.

We know what you are doing. It does a disservice to the actual arguments you could make and alienates potential supporters.

Screenshot_20210428-101840_Chrome.thumb.jpg.31b481d5099489dc6c2b1cd33d4daff5.jpg

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's easy to criticize a government that's in power, as we have seen. I'm hoping you understand that. 

Oh dear! You really are an embarrassment. So do tell us what the right-wing Italian MP was doing then. I hope you understand that?

It's easy to criticize anybody doing something by someone not doing anything 

It's far better to give compliments like the  Italian MP

Edited by SwindonCanary

No, Swindo is right for once. It is very easy to criticise the government in power. It's also necessary. 

I wonder if it has finally dawned on Arlene that Brexit, especially a hard Brexit, is a disaster for Northern Ireland.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I wonder if it has finally dawned on Arlene that Brexit, especially a hard Brexit, is a disaster for Northern Ireland.

She will get it when her party gives her a very hard boot up her hard brexity ar*se.

Edited by horsefly

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's easy to criticize anybody doing something by someone not doing anything 

It's far better to give compliments like the  Italian MP

Do you ever read the (few) links you post? The very title of your video clip says "Italian MEP attacks the EU"

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Do you ever read the (few) links you post? The very title of your video clip says "Italian MEP attacks the EU"

listen to what he had to say, it was all about how well we have done 

13 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

listen to what he had to say, it was all about how well we have done 

From a far right wing MEP who hates the EU. Wow! who would have thought it.

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

at least I didn't just look at the headlines 

No indeed! You clearly didn't even get that far.

You are over 50% more likely to be unemployed in the EU than in the UK

In the Eurozone it’s worse: your chances of being unemployed are almost 70% higher

eu_unemployed.jpg

Latest figures show how the UK is weathering Covid, but the EU still lags behind

During the EU Referendum campaign in 2016, FactsEU.Org repeatedly pointed out the poor performance of the EU when it comes to unemployment. We did this in the face of the then Chancellor George Osborne and the then Prime Minister David Cameron seeking to scare the voting public with wild claims of immediate job losses in the UK of up to 820,000 in the event of a vote to Leave the European Union.

Naturally, the pro-EU BBC eagerly seized on these irresponsible and erroneous claims

820000_jobs_lost_6.jpg

It must be noted that these claims were immediate job losses – they were supposed to be the result of the vote, not even the effect of the UK leaving the EU some time later. The above picture is of the BBC's then Economics Editor, pronouncing on the "dire news".

In reality, as we pointed out in the subsequent years, the number of people in jobs following the Brexit vote rose significantly. This was yet another nail in the coffin for Project Fear. No-one apologised for misleading the public in such a grotesque fashion – not the mandarins in HM Treasury (who concocted the wild figures), nor the Chancellor, nor the Prime Minister.

Here is what actually happened:

uk_jobs_vs_project_fear.jpg

So where are we now and where is the EU, after Covid?

Today we bring readers the latest data from the EU Commission and from the UK’s Office for National Statistics, showing how the EU continues to lag far behind Brexit Britain.

Unemployment: The UK versus the EU

• United Kingdom: 4.9%
  • EU27: 7.5%
  • Eurozone: 8.3%

unemployment_20210427_1.jpg

© Brexit Facts4EU.Org - click to enlarge

The UK versus selected EU countries

• Spain: 16.1%
  • Greece: 15.8% (latest figures from Dec 2020)
  • Italy: 10.2%
  • France: 8.0%

unemployment_20210427_2.jpg

© Brexit Facts4EU.Org - click to enlarge

Statistical note: The above are the normal, seasonally-adjusted figures based on the active population.

OBSERVATIONS

Once again, Brexit Britain outranks and outperforms the EU

Back in early 2016 we were all being told that poor little Britain couldn’t survive as an independent country in the big, nasty world out there. Unless we were part of the great EU empire we would wither and perish.

The truth is the opposite and the facts have proved that. Not only that, but Brexit Britain is set to outperform the EU bloc this year on almost every important measure. The unemployment figures above are a case in point.

Facts matter. The truth matters.

We happen to think that facts matter - unlike the current leader of one of the UK’s political parties who once told our Editor the exact opposite. (We kid you not.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

watch the bloody video

Watched the "bloody video" bird-brain, and as expected it was a pile of "bloody" tosh from a right-wing euro-ceptic MEP who hates the EU.  Now, since I wasted my time watching your video why don't you do something useful and respond to the fact that I posted earlier from the independent Food and Drink Federation (you seem to have missed it first time round, or did you just ignore it because it shows how disastrous brexit is?):

The Food and Drink Federation said the new trading arrangement with Europe had cost exporters more than £1.1bn since January, when Britain left the customs union and single market.

Milk and cream exports collapsed by 96.4 per cent while cheese sales to the EU fell by 64.6 per cent in the year to February.

Perhaps you should send them your video, I'm sure that will cushion the loss of £1.1 billion in just 3 months.