Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

And you wonder why people don’t engage, can’t help yourself can you, bye bye x 🍷🤥😉

Do feel free to explain what is wrong with my reply. It was you that used the word "slavishly" in this crass manner. It fails to reflect the nature of our democratic relationship to EU policy, and it is frankly offensive to describe our situation as being enslaved when it is estimated that there are 20-30 million people actually enslaved in the world. It's precisely this sort of excessive language that brexiteers used to misinform the public.

35 minutes ago, Herman said:

Did you never stop to look at the people running the Leave contingent? It was pretty obvious which way we were heading.

I wasn't voting for any particular people, I was voting for a change in our relationship with Europe,  one which gave us more democratic control. As I said before, how government exercises that control is a different matter but one which can be condoned or rejected through the ballot box.

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

I wasn't voting for any particular people, I was voting for a change in our relationship with Europe,  one which gave us more democratic control. As I said before, how government exercises that control is a different matter but one which can be condoned or rejected through the ballot box.

A bit like the election of MEP’s then? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, astro said:

A bit like the election of MEP’s then? 

Good to see you making your first post on this part of the Board astro and welcome,  "a bit like" yes certainly a bit like, but only a bit.

7 hours ago, Van wink said:

Ironic really then,

When we were in the EU our democraticly elected representatives got to vote on any trade deal or traety before implementation.

Now they don't.

In this aspect you voted for LESS democratic control.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated

8 hours ago, BigFish said:

Ironic really then,

When we were in the EU our democraticly elected representatives got to vote on any trade deal or traety before implementation.

Now they don't.

In this aspect you voted for LESS democratic control.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated

I would do if the trade Bill hadn’t been voted on in Parliament. 

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

I would do if the trade Bill hadn’t been voted on in Parliament. 

None of the other trade agreements have been voted on or even any of the negotiations over how the CTA is implemented. Trade is an entirely democracy free area now.

That is a backward step.

I only dip into this thread very rarely but I see it still has the same bunch of obsessives constantly sniping in a battle that is long over. Any economic affects either for good or bad a will be lost in the ongoing noise of financial policy which will be massively more affected by the Covid Crises than anything else. In a worse case scenario Brexit effects might have meant a loss of small change, now they amount to less than a rounding error.

The rejoiners will  continue to huff and puff and doubtless there will be small changes to our relationship with the EU over time but this game really is over. No party is ever going to win an election on a rejoin agenda, there is simply no appetite for it and in practical terms too many bridges have been burned.

The UK will never become part of a federated European state on any conceivable time scale.

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I only dip into this thread very rarely but I see it still has the same bunch of obsessives constantly sniping in a battle that is long over. Any economic affects either for good or bad a will be lost in the ongoing noise of financial policy which will be massively more affected by the Covid Crises than anything else. In a worse case scenario Brexit effects might have meant a loss of small change, now they amount to less than a rounding error.

The rejoiners will  continue to huff and puff and doubtless there will be small changes to our relationship with the EU over time but this game really is over. No party is ever going to win an election on a rejoin agenda, there is simply no appetite for it and in practical terms too many bridges have been burned.

The UK will never become part of a federated European state on any conceivable time scale.

Same here, it’s a shame than nothing seems to have moved on from the “hyper critical” to the “can do”, but it inevitably will in time.

Covid is a much much bigger issue than Brexit  and most will have formed a view on where we are best off.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Van wink said:

Thanks for the lecture. 
The reality is that I voted for our ability as a sovereign nation to make the sorts of decisions, such as those concerning use of hazardous substances as above, for ourselves. That is exactly what has happened. Now whether or not I agree with the way in which the discretion has been exercised is a completely different matter, my remedy for that is through the ballot box or other lobbying, a preferable situation in my view to the  UK legislature slavishly following EU directive.

Forgive me but I pay more attention to your first reaction than a belated explanation. The 'Disgraceful' and a very angry emoticon indicated you regarded this decison as totally unjustified, Brexit or no Brexit, rather than as you now claim something to be expected as part of Brexit and which you had factored in and were sanguine about.

Edited by PurpleCanary

23 minutes ago, Herman said:

A simple apology will do lads.

That would require a measure of regret.

Which I don't have.😉

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

As opposed to the I'm All Right Jack obsessive who dips into the thread to go on and on about a federated European state that exists only in the minds of those who think it makes a useful strawman argument, and then for good measure plays down what even the government has predicted will scr*w the UK econony for years to come, covid or no covid, and in particular will hit those of or soon to be of working age.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Forgive me but I pay more attention to your first reaction than a belated explanation. The 'Disgraceful' and a very angry emoticon indicated you regarded this decison as totally unjustified, Brexit or no Brexit, rather than as you now claim something to be expected as part of Brexit and which you had factored in and were sanguine about.

The explanation was given, as you seemed to prompt it, so I politely replied, rather than offering a belated comment. I do certainly regard the decision as wrong,  I don’t however plead that in a democracy we shouldn’t have the power to make it, and it will be accountable through ballot box. It’s how democracies work. 

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Which I don't have.😉

No, probably not. That'll need a level of empathy too.

• Like 1

Whereas I would agree we wont rejoin the EU as it is - short of ten years (it will change too) - I would guess that the time line goes something like -

2 to 5 years - Scottish independence followed by them rejoining the EU. Scottish fishermen celebrate. RN needs several new bases.

6 years NI rejoins Eire.

Wales gets fiesty.

Much diminished 'rule taker' England looks to rejoin SM and the Premier League in ten years. Yes that quickly.

Reminds me of the lone star state.

The dividends of Brexit.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Probably not full membership, I don't think there is anyone that could make it a big vote winner, but we will be looking at rejoining the SM/CU sometime soon.I could see us in a similar way to Norway/Switzerland.

Edited by Herman

5 hours ago, ricardo said:

Which I don't have.😉

We will have to call you Edith Piaf😃

• Haha 1

I see no quick (10 years or so) way back into the EU for the UK, unless Brexit is a dramatic disaster....and I don't want to  see that. A pain in the arsé, more difficult to trade maybe. That will take a year or 2 to settle down, especially with COVID

That doesn't mean the decision, all decisions, shouldn't be held to account

So people will therefore continue to discuss whatever positives or negatives they perceive. 

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Speculation is free but don't waste money on it.

Can't afford to, considering the amount that has already been wasted on Brexit

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Can't afford to, considering the amount that has already been wasted on Brexit

Very wise, betting on dollar parity would have skint you by now😉

I'm looking at the latest polls and you lot are way out, polls are saying Britain is doing a good job whilst the EU is doing poorly 😃😃

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Very wise, betting on dollar parity would have skint you by now😉

We all make mistakes, just like those in the fishing industry (amongst others) who voted their businesses and jobs down the toilet. Their livelihoods are going, the only price I have to pay is to get reminded of my mistake by a pensioner trying to make a point on a football message board while prentending otherwise.

• Like 3