Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

A year on, the sausage maker made me laugh. Maybe instead of running on about vaccine, Mad Moy can give his defence of this ? Or maybe not.

The whole point [of Brexit] was to take back control of our country," Steve says.

"We have succeeded in doing exactly the opposite because British exporters are completely and utterly blown out the water."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56441829

41 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yes, Ukraine George out of his depth but because he crawled round Boris and because he owns a farm/fruit producer, he was supposed to be able to understand the industry. Nope.

Well, you Brexiteers wanted your country back and now you have it. Because nobody else in the world wants anything from us.

Buy tickets for An online audience with Rt Hon George Eustice MP, on the  future of food, farming and fishing, post Brexit on Zoom, Fri 23 Apr 2021

"“Boris Johnson has negotiated a new deal that would deliver an orderly Brexit" George Eustice

"“I can confirm that we will take back 100% control of the spectacular marine wealth of this country” Boris Johnson."

"Most of the fish caught in British waters happen to be the kind of fish we don’t want to eat so we export it to the rest of the EU and the kind of fish we do want to eat has to be imported, yes you guessed it, from the rest of the EU. That means the UK needs EU markets to sell fish into, and if we want that access the UK will have to allow EU vessels to keep fishing in British waters.

Has George explained to his fishermen and farmers that a trade deal with the EU will mean negotiating new fishing and farming policies with the EU. We will be doing this from a position of weakness, having done our utmost to alienate the now ‘opposing side’ with our lies, smears and abuse and once again with a deadline working against us.  There is no guarantee that the new deal will be any better than our current deal (it is far worse"

"Fishing is a highly complex issue with diverse and conflicting, sometimes irreconcilable, demands and restraints. Reducing it to meaningless slogans that play on emotion and petty nationalism does no one any good, least of all the fishermen and the associated industries."

The above rebuttal was put out in response to GE's election leaflet - so the whingers and whiners cannot say they did not have it explained to them.

Greed and stupidity blinded them to some fairly basic warnings - and they chose to believe a ragbag of habitual liars instead

You make your bed...........

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

it's a font of all knowledge.

Unlike you, who is a sewer of dis-information.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I don't scour  Polish newspapers, the site I use is              https://www.newsnow.co.uk/                it's a font of all knowledge. 

like this, taken from that site 🙄

'' The Brexit deal negotiated by Boris Johnson's government has led to the largest ever recorded fall in UK exports to Europe.

Many UK businesses could soon become unviable due to the trading friction caused by Brexit.

Yet despite spending years campaigning for the UK's exit from the European Union last year, Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his colleagues have been oddly quiet about Britain's fortunes ever since it left.

The reason for their silence is becoming increasingly obvious. In the few short months since Britain left European trade and customs rules, there has been a dramatic decline in UK trade.

According to the UK's Office for National Statistics, trade between the EU and UK was hit hard in January, with exports down by 40.7% compared to December and imports from the EU down by 28% in the same period.

This is the biggest overall fall in exports since records began, yet the decline for some sectors has been even worse.

Analysis by the Food & Drink Federation published last week showed that exports in January dropped from £45 million to £7 million year-on-year, while whisky exports dropped from £105 million to £40 million.

This is a colossal decline. However, for some sectors, like parts of the UK's world-renowned shellfish fishing industry, the decline could be permanent due to the EU effectively locking Britain out of its market altogether.''

Brexit is hitting British businesses hard

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-disaster-britain-collapsing-european-164409916.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9jLm5ld3Nub3cuY28udWsv&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIlnyEVpWv6CAMmnGtb4mTr1jMerfAvzxmeVekaV9BL0Beb95UBUH6Eeod4m-6IDc4af3TftMfi5IzD_6J-Pl3ozXGhRa8n0C9AAlS9srvDhRivGYkobeoJIB9TeMO2tVgJ1fLV4anWc99fHZsWrno_ALEGzLOUdBZE4dIjf5CFM

care to comment, mouse brain ?

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

it's where I get my information, can you explain

can you explain why you did not post the info I found

33 minutes ago, Bill said:

can you explain why you did not post the info I found

There's hundreds of story's on there I think it would be boring to post them all. 

as this is a brexit thread then even you are not dumb enough to do that

so just the brexit ones will do (as above)

'' The Brexit deal negotiated by Boris Johnson's government has led to the largest ever recorded fall in UK exports to Europe.

Many UK businesses could soon become unviable due to the trading friction caused by Brexit.

any thoughts ?

1 hour ago, Bill said:

as this is a Positive brexit thread then even you are  bight enough to do that

so just the  Positive brexit ones will do (as above)

any thoughts ?

Corrected it for you 

Edited by SwindonCanary

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Corrected it for you 

any thoughts ?

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

Corrected it for you 

The problem is SC is that there appear to be few if not zero positives so far.

Has it reduced red-tape. No.

Has it made business easier. No

Has it made it easier to export. No

Has it increased our global presence - No

Has it increased out global influence. No.

Hai it helped fishermen / farmers - No

Has it helped the 'City' - No.

I'm sure there are some positives - there just have to be. Perhaps this link has some.

https://www.politico.eu/article/a-brexit-lesson-eus-benefits-largely-invisible-hurt-to-lose-single-market-boris-johnson/

I tend to take the long term view now as I'm quasi retired (old Directors never die etc.) - that Brexit will (is already) delivering the wake up call so surely needed for dozy England to move on from it's 19/20th century mindset and to find its true place in the modern world. Unfortunately it's going to be hard lesson for many but sadly not the fast fading OAP economically isolated other worldly Brexiteers.'

Frankly I think Brexit its the greatest theft of the future of the old from the young in English history.

Edited by Yellow Fever

One of our golfers at the club used to have his own fishing boat. I sat in the sunshine yesterday as he told his story. He handed the boat onto his son who bought another and then moved them to Scotland. 

They never sold their catch in the UK but in France and had one simple form to fill in.

Neither father or son voted Leave as they were quite happy with the existing arrangements.

Now, it is a minefield to sell on the continent and there is little market in the UK.

So can the Brexiteers finally get it through their heads that the UK fishing industry exists only to serve Europe. Brits only buy the fingers of fish or if it has batter on it.

So the clamour needs to end. The only ones moaning are the ones who were selling more than their quotas for which there is now no market.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Macron faces EU revolt as yellow vests call for Frexit and end the 'economic prison'

Are you reporting live from Paris? 

15 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Macron faces EU revolt as yellow vests call for Frexit and end the 'economic prison'

This is the best Macron story today.

https://www.cityam.com/exclusive-royals-recruited-to-help-fight-post-brexit-rivalry-with-emmanuel-macron/

Exclusive: Royals recruited to help fight post-Brexit rivalry with Emmanuel Macron

You can just see Her Maj fronting a trade stall promoting green energy.

"Hellaire, would one like to purchase one of one's wind turbines, my son says they're onederful".

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

This is the best Macron story today.

https://www.cityam.com/exclusive-royals-recruited-to-help-fight-post-brexit-rivalry-with-emmanuel-macron/

Exclusive: Royals recruited to help fight post-Brexit rivalry with Emmanuel Macron

You can just see Her Maj fronting a trade stall promoting green energy.

"Hellaire, would one like to purchase one of one's wind turbines, my son says they're onederful".

I love the link, we used to complain they came over here stealing our jobs, and now we are complaining they are staying in their own country and stealing our investments, them foreigners can't do anything right in our eyes. 

• Haha 1

Remember all those reports that Brexit would cut red tape?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/01/brexit-scottish-dog-food-firm-relocates-to-france-due-to-export-red-tape

After 10 weeks of daily calls and emails to government representatives, who he said were “absolutely terrible”, Antoon Murphy said he was left with no other option than to relocate or face losing the business.

“The trade deal they agreed at Christmas is very close to as good as no deal,” he said.

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

To parody your own 'Positive' Brexit mantra  - what's this to do with 'Positive' Brexit ?  Nothing.

All countries have groups that look to blame somebody else - although all these groups can be very different. The only thing they all generally have in common is being anti the government or the status quo. They rarely have solutions. Covid just stresses the situation even more. Lockdown riots, anti-vaxers, the 'yellow vests' and on and on. My guess is the French nationalists would be the first to shaft UK interests (forget your French owned car plants). Just like the Brexiteers on here.

Blimey,  we nearly missed this bit of positive news.

Don't forget that they need us more than we need them. 😀

Eurozone factories grow at record pace

Over in the eurozone, factories have reported their strongest growth in at least 24 years -- and unprecedent delays for supplies too.

That’s according to Data firm IHS Markit, which says that the eurozone’s manufacturing economy performed extremely strongly during March.

Its monrhly healthcheck found the biggest improvement in operating conditions in nearly 24 years of data collection.

Purchasing managers at factories across the euro area reported record increases in output, new orders, exports and purchasing activity last month.

This drove Markit’s eurozone PMI up to 62.5, up from February’s 57.9 , a level that shows rapid growth (50 = stagnation). It’s the highest reading since the survey began in June 1997.

Germany and the Netherlands’ factory sectors both recorded their highest ever PMI levels in March, with Austria, Italy and France also seeing rapid growth.

Eurozone PMIs Eurozone PMIs Photograph: IHS Markit

But...unprecedented supply-side delays drove the sharpest rise in input costs for a decade, and the longest delays for raw materials in the survey’s history.

Markit explains:

The further strengthening of trade, orders and production placed further strain on already stretched supply chains.

According to the latest data, average lead times for the delivery of inputs lengthened at an unprecedented rate as challenges in sourcing inputs due to product shortages, stronger global demand and ongoing logistical challenges linked to COVID-19 continued in March.

It would be interesting to see how we compare. Does anyone have the figures to hand?