Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I bet they will not 

That’s what I said so why did you put up a quote that called mad moy a liar and said they would finish 4 weeks before us if you don’t think ( like me ) they will.

There will be some EU countries that finish before us though.

Of course if they banned all exports of vaccine we would be f***** and they would win easily.

So based on your quote and headline do you concede that Mad Moy is a little liar when you say the EU will finish in August and he tells us they will not be finishing until into 2022. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Well b back said:

That’s what I said so why did you put up a quote that called mad moy a liar and said they would finish 4 weeks before us if you don’t think ( like me ) they will.

There will be some EU countries that finish before us though.

Of course if they banned all exports of vaccine we would be f***** and they would win easily.

So based on your quote and headline do you concede that Mad Moy is a little liar when you say the EU will finish in August and he tells us they will not be finishing until into 2022. 

What if he is really Moys alter ego? 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The UK economy will recover to its pre-Covid level by the end of this year, Bank of England governor Andrew Bailey has told the BBC.

the next sentence after that being

"However, that was "not much more than getting back to where we were pre-Covid".

poor simple-minded Father Dougal

It is actually from a financial article on the stock markets across Europe that says all European Countries expect to recover to those levels by the end of the year. Each country has taken that headline to themselves or Britain say Britain will Germany, Germany, France, France and so on. 
So it is good news for all that should be celebrated, not just Britain as indicated. 
To further make a mockery of what some tell us on here, it is because of the vaccinations gathering pace EVERYWHERE.

• Like 2

With over 17000 high street shops disappearing, countless restaurants and bars gone I'm not sure how things will look once we are out of lockdown. There will be an inevitable boom followed by the realities of Brexit and the ending of furlough. I'm predicting autumn will be the first real time we will see how good or bad a state the country is in. 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm predicting autumn will be the first real time we will see how bad a state the country is in. 

there

• Haha 1

It's the positive brexit thread. And that is the most positive I can get. 😀

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

There hasn't been any

Mouse brain's stupidity reminds me of those misleading West End posters that take a critics comments of

"if you want to see a real crackin' show, then best avoid this one'

and put up

' if you want to see a real crackin' show '

12 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

BILLY LIAR

so I am lying about what you remind me of 🙄

(you really are thick aren't you)

"More than €8bn a day of EU share trading has already moved from London to the EU, as has around 20 per cent of the euro derivatives trading market."

"Brussels granted temporary permission for EU investors to continue to use the main UK securities depository after the UK’s departure from the single market, to give the market more time to prepare to move the assets to the eurozone. The permit, known as equivalence, is one of only two the EU granted the UK and will expire at the end of June."

Pretty much like a lifeboat only being able to stay beside a sinking ship long enough to evacuate all crew and passengers, before it goes down.

As can be seen elsewhere, it is the EU stretching the rules and offering delays so as to allow the UK to try to deal with the mess it has got itself into.

But those delays can only last so long. Furlough can only hide that mess for so long

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

"More than €8bn a day of EU share trading has already moved from London to the EU, as has around 20 per cent of the euro derivatives trading market."

"Brussels granted temporary permission for EU investors to continue to use the main UK securities depository after the UK’s departure from the single market, to give the market more time to prepare to move the assets to the eurozone. The permit, known as equivalence, is one of only two the EU granted the UK and will expire at the end of June."

Pretty much like a lifeboat only being able to stay beside a sinking ship long enough to evacuate all crew and passengers, before it goes down.

As can be seen elsewhere, it is the EU stretching the rules and offering delays so as to allow the UK to try to deal with the mess it has got itself into.

But those delays can only last so long. Furlough can only hide that mess for so long

Yep! the only "positive" thing I can see is that brexiteers are becoming more adept at re-arranging the deckchairs. But we all know how that cliche ends.

35 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Yep! the only "positive" thing I can see is that brexiteers are becoming more adept at re-arranging the deckchairs. But we all know how that cliche ends.

Illustration by Chris Riddell.

43 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

image.png.a6bbdb2862d2b2788baa4cdefe6521cb.png

Quoting such things is absolutely meaningless if you don't post a link to the article from which it is taken.

On 12/03/2021 at 21:18, BigFish said:

When Honda announced the closure it said Brexit was not a factor. This was met with widespread derision and went against what Honda executives had previously told the workers. Two or three days later, in the face of this disbelief, Honda issued a second statement, realising the first had just made itself look stupid. It went as follows:

''Honda is on record as stating that its preferred scenario following Brexit is one that delivers frictionless trade, access to talent and regulatory alignment. It is true that a ‘no-deal’ scenario would cause a number of challenges for our operations. However, no one single event has led to the proposal to cease production at Swindon. The decision is in response to unprecedented change in the global automotive industry and the need to deploy electrification technologies across our business.''

That it was not 'one single event' that caused the decision is no doubt true. There were factors beyond Brexit. But by detailing the potential extra problems that Brexit would cause Honda is clearly saying that was one of the decisive factors. In reality it may well have tipped the balance.

To spell it out, Honda says it wanted a Brexit that delivered frictionless trade, access to talent (through freedom of movement), and regulatory alignment. Which are the three key elements of the single market. But May had categorically ruled out staying in the single market.

Honda says a no-deal Brexit would cause 'a number of challenges', which is business-speak for 'costly problems we won't have if we move elsewhere' but that is understating it. Any future trade deal that did not allow complete access to the single market would scr*w Honda's Swindon business model. I am not an expert on the motor industry but I know someone who is, and I gather that the profit margins are so tight that any friction in the process potentially makes it unworkable. And that is without the no-deal possibiity of tariffs.

So Swindon's fate was effectively sealed the moment May threw out the SM option. That as it happens we seem to be heading towards the worst-case scenario of a no-deal might make it look as if Honda realised that was coming and otherwise would have saved Swindon. But not so.

---

Just to add to this typically acute piece of analysis of mine😜 that BF quoted, not only was the fate of the Swindon plant, and others, sealed the moment May threw out the SM option, but the writing was on the wall for Northern Ireland's economy when at the same time she nixed the customs' union option.

The row over policing the border in the Irish Sea obscures the broader truth, which is that wherever the border is, and there has to be one somewhere with the single market on the other side, it scr*ws the NI economy.

I don't know  whether Johnson understood this at the time and signed up to a deal he knew he would then want to break, or realised it later, but the likely truth (witness his choice of Front) is that his intention now is to break the treaty permanently, on the assumption the EU will cave in.

• Like 2

poor simple minded mouse brain, clueless as ever

after a massive downturn in the economy of 10% in 2010 of course the lifting of restrictions will cause businesses to be optimistic, that trade will pick up

however in the same report we have

"it warned that January data which showed a 40% slump in exports to the EU added to evidence that post-Brexit trade restrictions were causing more severe damage than the ‘teething problems’ admitted by the government so far.

Make UK said that in its latest survey, members reported a further fall in export demand that contrasted with a rebound domestically and for exporters based in other countries."

https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-economy-confidence/uk-firms-see-sharper-2021-rebound-than-international-peers-accenture-idUSL8N2LA45G

which put basically is that the huge fall in exports cannot be blamed on Covid as exports elsewhere are picking up, as are inter EU exports

only a thicko like mouse brain would post up something that shows brexit is causing further harm, as something to be positive about 🙄

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Doesn't look like they are going to cave in.

That will help with a financial services agreement, or are they the latest sector to be thrown under the Brexit Bus?

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

poor simple minded mouse brain, clueless as ever

after a massive downturn in the economy of 10% in 2010 of course the lifting of restrictions will cause businesses to be optimistic, that trade will pick up

however in the same report we have

"it warned that January data which showed a 40% slump in exports to the EU added to evidence that post-Brexit trade restrictions were causing more severe damage than the ‘teething problems’ admitted by the government so far.

Make UK said that in its latest survey, members reported a further fall in export demand that contrasted with a rebound domestically and for exporters based in other countries."

https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-economy-confidence/uk-firms-see-sharper-2021-rebound-than-international-peers-accenture-idUSL8N2LA45G

which put basically is that the huge fall in exports cannot be blamed on Covid as exports elsewhere are picking up, as are inter EU exports

only a thicko like mouse brain would post up something that shows brexit is causing further harm, as something to be positive about 🙄

they are saying the fall in exports is due to stockpiling before hand and a reluctance to test the the paperwork before you start mouthing off  wait a few months  and see 

1 minute ago, dj11 said:

That will help with a financial services agreement, or are they the latest sector to be thrown under the Brexit Bus?

"the EU could suspend its obligations under the Withdrawal Agreement (with the exception of the citizens' rights part of the agreement) or from the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, in accordance with Article INST.24(4), e.g. by imposing tariffs on imports of goods from the UK."

(amounting to pretty much 'no deal')

The constant lies of Johnson have put us into this position.

Lying to the country that brexit would be 'got done'

Lying to the DUP that there would be no border in the Irish Sea

Lying to the EU that he would honour his signature on an agreed International Treaty

never mind lying to hauliers, farmers, fishermen, the City........

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

they are saying the fall in exports is due to stockpiling before hand and a reluctance to test the the paperwork before you start mouthing off  wait a few months  and see 

Is that the best you can come up with? "Wait and see", Jesus it's that bad!

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

"the EU could suspend its obligations under the Withdrawal Agreement (with the exception of the citizens' rights part of the agreement) or from the Trade and Cooperation Agreement, in accordance with Article INST.24(4), e.g. by imposing tariffs on imports of goods from the UK."

(amounting to pretty much 'no deal')

The constant lies of Johnson have put us into this position.

Lying to the country that brexit would be 'got done'

Lying to the DUP that there would be no border in the Irish Sea

Lying to the EU that he would honour his signature on an agreed International Treaty

never mind lying to hauliers, farmers, fishermen, the City........

Very true, and let's not overlook lying to his own MPs and Parliament generally although of course his own MPs can't really complain as they knew full well they were voting for a serial liar when they elected him............

.......actually come to that the DUP, farmers and fishermen knew full well.......🙄