Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

11 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

We envy Britain! Germany's biggest newspaper Bild praises UK's incredible vaccine success and contrasts Boris Johnson's optimistic lockdown exit plans with Merkel's doom and gloom

The equivalent of this would be DusseldorfKanarienvogel quoting The Sun as if it was a trustworthy source of unbiased news.

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The equivalent of this would be DusseldorfKanarienvogel quoting The Sun as if it was a trustworthy source of unbiased news.

Who does not like good news ?    😉

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's not only that, throughout Brexit the  INDEPENDENT and the GUARDIAN have always sided with the EU They hate Brexit =left wing 

You have obviously never read the Guardian, or at least understood it. Larry Elliot the Economics Editor is definitly pro-Brexit and there have been frequent Lexit comments. That is what pluralist media does, it reflects different viewpoints/arguments. I doubt you could point to a equal quest for truth from the Express, Mail, Sun, Torygraph and Spectator. Or those dodgy Youtube sites you believe are so informative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

We envy Britain! Germany's biggest newspaper Bild praises UK's incredible vaccine success and contrasts Boris Johnson's optimistic lockdown exit plans with Merkel's doom and gloom

image.png.f73fe813c7b7c04d9e410807fcab420a.png

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

As you have been told a million times this is NOTHING to do with Brexit.

41 minutes ago, horsefly said:

As you have been told a million times this is NOTHING to do with Brexit.

Repeating it a million times won’t convince him Horsey, because actually your statement is incorrect, so why should it convince him? Brexit is a factor in this, which has played to the advantage of the UK, it’s not the only factor, maybe not the most significant factor, but to say it has NOTHING  ( your emphasis ) to do with Brexit is not correct. Try to take a balanced view! 

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

It didn't have anything to do with Brexit. 

I posted a very good article from the FT several weeks ago describing how the life science sector had been boosted pre Brexit to prepare for an enhanced life outside the EU, the connections and joint working that delivered was an important factor in our development of a response.

Fair points VW. But what people like Swindo and others allude to was that we wouldn't have been able to acquire or supply our own vaccines whilst still in the EU. You, I and many others know this to be false.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Fair points VW. But what people like Swindo and others allude to was that we wouldn't have been able to acquire or supply our own vaccines whilst still in the EU. You, I and many others know this to be false.

Don’t dispute that Herman and you are right, but the artist I quoted (previously known as ?) had made a pretty definitive statement which wasn’t correct. 😁

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I posted a very good article from the FT several weeks ago describing how the life science sector had been boosted pre Brexit to prepare for an enhanced life outside the EU, the connections and joint working that delivered was an important factor in our development of a response.

I thInk the issue is the emphasis. Brexit emboldened the goverment to go it alone in many things whether or not it made a lot of sense at the time just to demonstrate it was out of the EU and be different. Had we been staying it's quite likely we would of done the same or indeed argued and persuaded the EU to move differently with us. To be fair the EU were badly let down by AZ local production - that situation could just of easily of been reversed and we would of been short. Another example of us trying to do our own thing right or wrong might be the Galileo replacement or indeed other pan European bodies many of which it appears we've cut our nose off to spite our face.

So the vaccine procurement is truthfully not a function of Brexit but Brexit forms a backdrop for the decisions some good and some bad. You win some and lose some.

All of this however doesn’t stop the average Brexiteer trying to sell it as a Brexit success however tenuous. After all they don't have much (if anything) else to shout about - the rest is damage limitation.

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I thInk the issue is the emphasis.

Which is exactly what I said YF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

But its the emphasis the Brexiteers put on it as well. Brexit is at a tangent to the vaccine issue.

13 hours ago, BigFish said:

Burchill's career arc, and that of her former fellow traveller Toby Young and ex-hisbandTony Parsons, illustrates a wider truth behind the post-truth view that the media is left wing. Her contrarian ironic columns in the Guardian and the Modern Review provided an interesting counterpoint to prevailing views. However, this kind of writing is now easily churned out by any right wing hack in the Torygraph, Mail, Sun or Express. It is just boring. More relevant it reflects the majority view/hacks career path making the idea that the MSM is leftwing totally ridiculous. Finally, it is of course based on falsehoods.

Translation:

Julie Birchill is yet another leftie who has seen the light and left the room

33 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Don’t dispute that Herman and you are right, but the artist I quoted (previously known as ?) had made a pretty definitive statement which wasn’t correct. 😁

To be fair it is 99% nothing to do with brexit while 1% to do with brexit. It is the homeopathy of brexit arguments.😉

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

To be fair it is 99% nothing to do with brexit while 1% to do with brexit. It is the homeopathy of brexit arguments.😉

Well thats an opinion, I dont agree with it though, haven't noticed homeopathic remedies featuring high on the therapeutics for CV19 yet 😉

Edited by Van wink

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Repeating it a million times won’t convince him Horsey, because actually your statement is incorrect, so why should it convince him? Brexit is a factor in this, which has played to the advantage of the UK, it’s not the only factor, maybe not the most significant factor, but to say it has NOTHING  ( your emphasis ) to do with Brexit is not correct. Try to take a balanced view! 

Perhaps, Winkie, you should tell that to both Dr Judith Raine, head of the MHRA responsible for authorising the vaccine,, and Kate Bingham, head of the body responsible for the vaccine roll-out. They both said that brexit had NOTHING to do with the approval and roll-out of the vaccine. I'm sure they would be interested in your alternative  expert view.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Perhaps, Winkie, you should tell that to both Dr Judith Raine, head of the MHRA responsible for authorising the vaccine,, and Kate Bingham, head of the body responsible for the vaccine roll-out. They both said that brexit had NOTHING to do with the approval and roll-out of the vaccine. I'm sure they would be interested in your alternative  expert view.

Thank goodness for that, as they are of course correct. ( you wouldn't be one for creating straw men arguments would you Horsey 😃)

Edited by Van wink

25 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I know what I wanted to say more succinctly.

The vaccine programme is a governemt policy success.

Its not however a success of the governemt Brexit policy.

• Like 1

As a fat old gob****e myself I am allowed to call someone else the same. Unwritten laws Rocky.

Just brilliant ... the triumph (and predictable consequence) of focusing on propaganda over policy...

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 14.19.08.png

17 hours ago, Herman said:

As a fat old gob****e myself I am allowed to call someone else the same. Unwritten laws Rocky.

That made me laugh.👍😂