Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

49 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Wtf are you running on about now

He's been eating too much American bacon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Stull suffering the side effects I think !

I think they injected him in the head🤒

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, horsefly said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/liz-truss-is-refusing-to-answer-questions-about-trading-crisis-sparked-by-brexit-parties-protest/ar-BB1dHAxr?ocid=msedgdhp

Liz Truss is refusing to answer questions about trading crisis sparked by Brexit, parties protest

Liz Truss is refusing to answer questions about the cross-Channel trading crisis sparked by Brexit, says a stinging attack by six opposition parties.

The International Trade Secretary has “transferred” all enquiries about the plight facing firms to other departments, they say – despite it being her job to promote exports overseas.

A hard-hitting letter accuses Ms Truss of trying “shirk responsibility for the failures of your colleagues elsewhere in government”.

And it protests: “Most extraordinary of all, you are refusing to answer questions about the serious crisis affecting UK shellfish and fish exporters, and about the future of inward investment in Northern Ireland.

“At a time when British exporters are crying out for the government to acknowledge and address the problems they are facing in the wake of Brexit, the Secretary of State for International Trade cannot simply put their head in the sand and pretend that these issues are not their concern.”

On 16/02/2021 at 22:52, keelansgrandad said:

Liz "Make Britain Grate Again" Truss.

I thought it was Gavin Williamson who used to be a fireplace salesman? I'll get my coat...😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I thought it was Gavin Williamson who used to be a fireplace salesman? I'll get my coat...😎

Didn't former Tory MP Mark Field use to poker? I'll get my coat too!

Well, it's been a long time since I've got abuse on here so here's some project fears 

The claim:

Speaking in the month before the June 23 vote in 2016, George Osborne made a speech arguing voting to leave the EU "would spark year-long recession".

Arguing the impact would be "immediate", he warned Brexit would have a "profound" economic shock.

The then-Chancellor said the UK economy would shrink by 3-6 percent and a Leave vote would cost every household £4,300 a year.

The truth:

Despite the claims of a looming recession following a vote to leave the EU, Britain's economy continued to grow up until the coronavirus pandemic hit earlier this year.

Despite warnings of an "immediate" impact, in the final quarter of 2016, the UK's Gross domestic product (GDP) increased by 0.7 percent.

The claim:

In an ITV debate during the referendum campaign, David Cameron claimed Scotland would vote to leave the UK if the country voted for Brexit.

Despite having previously said there could not be another Scottish Independence referendum following the 2014 vote, he said during the televised debate: “You don’t strengthen your country by leading to its break-up.”

The truth:

Scotland remains a part of the UK.

However, support for independence has increased in recent months with a poll from June showing support to quit the UK has risen to 54 percent.

Support for independence reached similar levels in the immediate aftermath of the 2016 referendum before dropping again.

It is believed the current rise in independence support is due to an increase in backing for the Scottish government over their handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

However, following the vote, the rate of growth decreased. Prior to the referendum, Britain had the highest growth rate in the G7. In the months before the COVID-19 crisis, the UK's GDP growth was the lowest amongst the G7.

The claim:

Prime Minister David Cameron made a dire prediction about peace in Europe if the UK was to leave the EU.

Warning countries across the continent were "at each others' throats for decades" before the creation of the EU, he said once Britain left the trade bloc peace could not be guaranteed.

Referring to the world after Brexit, he said: "Can we be so sure that peace and stability on our continent are assured beyond any shadow of doubt? Is that a risk worth taking? I would never be so rash as to make that assumption."

The truth:

Britain has not gone to war with Europe and no military conflicts have broken out between countries on the continent since the UK voted to leave.

Since the Brexit vote, Britain and the EU have remained close allies standing united against common enemies.

Following the poisoning of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal on UK soil in 2018, the EU stood firmly with Britain in introducing sanctions against Moscow.

And, despite the UK officially leaving the European Union at the end of January, the bloc is still planning a tough response against China after Beijing passed a new national security law which threatens the former UK overseas territory of Hong Kong.

The claim:

The US President at the time, Barack Obama, made an unprecedented intervention from a foreign power during a UK election.

Speaking at the Foreign Office stood next to David Cameron, he warned "the UK is going to be in the back of the queue” for a trade deal with the US.

He said: "I think it’s fair to say that maybe some point down the line there might be a UK-US trade agreement, but it’s not going to happen any time soon because our focus is in negotiating with a big bloc, the European Union, to get a trade agreement done.”

The truth:

Negotiations on a trade deal with the US are already underway.

On January 30 this year, just 24 hours before the UK officially left the EU, President Donald Trump's Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said: "We intend to put the United Kingdom at the front of the line."

The claim 

trade borders will be blocked 

The truth

Figures seen by the BBC show outbound roll-on roll-off lorry traffic for Britain so far in February has now hit 98 percent of the data seen in the same month a year ago. Inbound traffic is now at 99 percent of last year's levels, while around 80-90 percent of laden lorries are arriving border-ready. One border official told the BBC the UK Government is "pleased that overall flows are back to normal".

Edited by SwindonCanary

there's a good reason to put mouse brain back on the blocked list

far too much lying drivel

" When things changed, some of our British customers were delighted for us, imagining that we would be free from EU constraints, and suddenly permitted to use lavish amounts of previously restricted materials such as jasmine, rose and carnation. But what really happened was that in 2019 the government copied and pasted the EU regulations straight into UK law. I watched official announcements about how we would all be free from EU bureaucracy , knowing that it wasn’t quite true"

In fact, after four decades of cutting red tape, costs and delays the UK has now heaped them on at a crippling rate, that will bankrupt UK businesses at an alarming rate

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/18/brexit-small-businesses-new-regulations-eu

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

" When things changed, some of our British customers were delighted for us, imagining that we would be free from EU constraints, and suddenly permitted to use lavish amounts of previously restricted materials such as jasmine, rose and carnation. But what really happened was that in 2019 the government copied and pasted the EU regulations straight into UK law. I watched official announcements about how we would all be free from EU bureaucracy , knowing that it wasn’t quite true"

In fact, after four decades of cutting red tape, costs and delays the UK has now heaped them on at a crippling rate, that will bankrupt UK businesses at an alarming rate

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/18/brexit-small-businesses-new-regulations-eu

Wrong now !

UK set to thrive as Brexit Britain's pound strengthens to 1.40 to the dollar,  42 to the baht, and 68 to the PHP etc , all good news for fellow prospective travellers.

Boris's supreme vaccine rollout augurs well for the next few months as we streak ahead of  the tardy vaccinators such as you know who, for the great benefit of UK economic recovery .......  😎  🤗

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/1399523/pound-to-euro-news-sterling-increases-dollar-latest-gdp-covid19-vaccine-rollout-economy

8 minutes ago, paul moy said:

UK set to thrive as Brexit Britain's pound strengthens to 1.40 to the dollar,  42 to the baht, and 68 to the PHP etc , all good news for fellow prospective travellers.

The Pound getting stronger does help lower the cost of going on holiday - on the other hand it increases the cost of British exports. 

I wonder which is more important for the UK?

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

The Pound getting stronger does help lower the cost of going on holiday - on the other hand it increases the cost of British exports. 

But we've been constantly hammered that we import more than we export, so surely a higher £ is better overall, no?

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

We need to rebalance and stop importing so much of goods that we already produce in the UK.  The EU has put us out of kilter by virtue of their perverse fishing and farming policies. Reducing exports of  certain goods that we need at home will not be a bad thing.

1 minute ago, paul moy said:

Reducing exports of  certain goods that we need at home will not be a bad thing.

What like aircraft engines and insurance, or are you talking about lobsters and potatoes? 

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

But we've been constantly hammered that we import more than we export, so surely a higher £ is better overall, no?

Indeed,  we need to be producing more at home rather than importing.   We can now do this that we are free of EU policies such as the CFP and CAP.    

As the pound rises it sucks in more imports as they become cheaper - conversely it makes UK exports more expensive and so reduces those.

Oddly enough when the pound dropped considerably after the brexit vote the thickos were on here bleating how it would make UK exports more competitive.

In reality, it is nothing more than the RTB/JOOLS/Moy thing scrabbling around to deflect from the shtshow that is now engulfing UK business courtsey of brexit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Indeed,  we need to be producing more at home rather than importing.   We can now do this that we are free of EU policies such as the CFP and CAP.   

which given the UK labour shortage would simply mean more immigration

- which, if I remember, is what over excited you Brexit thickos in the first place 🙄

3 minutes ago, Surfer said:

What like aircraft engines and insurance, or are you talking about lobsters and potatoes? 

We already control exports for drugs that the NHS needs and I am sure we will do it for new vaccines, as we can now put ourselves first.  We have been importing food because farmers in the UK have been paid not to produce through set-aside.  When we have a glut we can export, but not before then.  

1 minute ago, Bill said:

In reality, it is nothing more than the RTB/JOOLS/Moy thing scrabbling around to deflect from the shtshow that is now engulfing UK business courtsey of brexit.

Indeed. In fact as this is the "positive" Bexit head I thinking of suing under the Trade Descriptions Act 1972 for deliberate misrepresentation - "because there ain't any m'Lud" 

The Trade Description Act 1972 protects the trade industry by prohibiting the inaccurate description of goods and services, and the use of false trade descriptions (eg, fraudulent or misleading prices, statements, descriptions or trademarks). It also provides for the use of a Trade Description Order which, when served on the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs, allows the ministry's Enforcement Division to take action against the infringers. The Enforcement Division can conduct a raid on the premises and may seize and forfeit the infringing products.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bill said:

which given the UK labour shortage would simply mean more immigration

- which, if I remember, is what over excited you Brexit thickos in the first place 🙄

I don't envisage a labour shortage in the short-term for obvious reasons and neither should you.

1 minute ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

UK companies are registering on the continent. They will pay taxes on the continent not here, whatever tweety pie might drag up from the past political drivel.

Yes, but EU companies are registering here for similar reasons so it will balance out. 

1 minute ago, paul moy said:

Yes, but EU companies are registering here for similar reasons so it will balance out. 

LIE

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, paul moy said:

We have been importing food because farmers in the UK have been paid not to produce through set-aside.  When we have a glut we can export, but not before then.  

Thank you for not answering the question - aircraft engines and insurance - but it's no a surprise as there isn't an answer is there. 

Now on to your new deflection. So we can make up the 40% of the foodstuffs we import by putting back into production the 5% of land that was set aside? That's a miracle of "loaves and fishes" magnitude. Or do you have some better statistics to share? 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1