Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Just now, horsefly said:

Hilarious! Your "positive" Brexit story is that this particularĀ company hasn't lost millions or closed down because of Brexit. What an achievement. Could you please point out to me where in the article it mentions anything about brexit being an advantage to the company. Indeed could you please point out where it mentions Brexit at all. Of course it doesn't, so why have you tried to pass it off as a positive brexit story?

It was the story somebody else put adding a tweet from November. Have a look back to last night and you will see the real story.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Well b back said:

It was the story somebody else put adding a tweet from November. Have a look back to last night and you will see the real story.

Published:Ā 08/02/2021

Another one for the ever-growing list..

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-meat-exports-idUKKBN2A91XC

British meat processors are registering businesses in the European Union in order to bypass post-Brexit export delays, with flows just 50% of normal levels and costs soaring, the British Meat Processors Association (BMPA) said on Tuesday.

The move means Britain is losing jobs, the industry group warned, as delays caused by customs checks at the border have all but halted small lorry loads of mixed meat products heading to the EU and Northern Ireland.

This has in turn prompted companies to register businesses in the EU with a view to setting up processing facilities that will allow them to trade with European customers and avoid exports delays and soaring costs.

Ā 

37 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Published:Ā 08/02/2021

You are celebrating our Birmingham jobs going to Germany, nice

NothingĀ like a bit of local knowledge lol, that was in November, hereā€™s the real story.Ā 

BMWā€™s decision to focus production of its electric powertrains in Germany and shun the UK has been labelled ā€˜a great shameā€™.

In the sameĀ week the government announced a ban of petrol and diesel cars in the UK from 2030, BMW handed production of its V8 and V12 engines to its Hams Hall factory in Birmingham and said its electric powertrains would be built in Germany.

Economics academic and automotive expert Prof David Bailey expressed his disappointment at the decision.

He said:Ā ā€˜The low carbon future growth technology is all in Germany. Hams Hall is stuck with old technology, which is onĀ the way out.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

You are celebrating our Birmingham jobs going to Germany, nice

Ā 

NothingĀ like a bit of local knowledge lol, that was in November, hereā€™s the real story.Ā 

BMWā€™s decision to focus production of its electric powertrains in Germany and shun the UK has been labelled ā€˜a great shameā€™.

In the sameĀ week the government announced a ban of petrol and diesel cars in the UK from 2030, BMW handed production of its V8 and V12 engines to its Hams Hall factory in Birmingham and said its electric powertrains would be built in Germany.

Economics academic and automotive expert Prof David Bailey expressed his disappointment at the decision.

He said:Ā ā€˜The low carbon future growth technology is all in Germany. Hams Hall is stuck with old technology, which is onĀ the way out.

SC is a simpleton, RTB is inĀ the gutter lookingĀ down, Jool's is well franklyĀ delusional and PM is quite often simply beyond the pale.

I know its temptingĀ toĀ try and correct like an exasperated school teacher someĀ of theirĀ most egregious comments (sadly last nightĀ I gotĀ drawnĀ intoĀ one as well) but in truth its totallyĀ hopeless as they are all it seem beyond rational factual argument.

In that thereĀ liesĀ however a deeper truthĀ - most on here have fairlyĀ fixed views (the rational vs irrational it oft seems)Ā and we aren'tĀ really tryingĀ to persuade the unpersuadableĀ whatever the factsĀ - but the 'floating' voter who may be amenable to realities.

However, I tend to think of them all as prime examplesĀ of base humanity and all that is rotten and wrong with the UK. MuchĀ like Trump was the same for the USA.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I was listening to this on Radio Cornwall. They were suggesting that maybe they could persuade Britain to eat more shellfish.

Mrs KG and I, simultaneously, shouted "stop being greedy and bring the price down".

They have been getting top money for so long by exporting that they couldn't give two hoots for the British market. Ā£12 for a local Crab that is smaller than a Cromer one.

These people were warned. They were told and told it would be difficult to sell it after they had caught it. Its no good telling the world because of Brexit, you now have a boat full of shellfish if you can't sell it to your old market.

Ā 

Thatā€™s cause youā€™re all posh, with your Rick Steins chip shops and Nathan Outlaw restaurants šŸ˜‰

George "useless" Eustace lives up to his name. Having threatened the EU with gunboats claiming the EUĀ ban on certain categories of shellfish was illegal we now find out the following:

Brexit: Cabinet minister ā€˜admitted EU is correct to ban UK shellfishā€™ despite branding it ā€˜legally wrongā€™

Ā 

A Cabinet minister is facing claims he privately admitted the EU is right to ban UKĀ shellfishĀ because ofĀ BrexitĀ ā€“ despite publicly branding it ā€œlegally wrongā€.

An email sent to beleaguered traders by the Shellfish Association says aĀ government letter has ā€œchanged this positionā€ and acknowledged thatĀ the EU's legal position ā€œis correctā€.

ā€œJust yesterday, the government sent a letter to the EU blaming them for the block on shellfish fishers exporting their catch. Less than 24 hours later, they've admitted that it's the governmentā€™s own fault,ā€

Ā 

the email sent by the Shellfish Association of Great Britain, seen by theĀ Politics HomeĀ website, said it had received a government ā€œupdateā€ on the export of unpurified mussels, clams, scallops, and cockles.

ā€œAll along they have told us that they believe the trade in class B animals is legal and that the regulation supports this. They have now changed this position,ā€ it is reported to say.

ā€œThey now say that they believe on balance that the EU view, that the trade is not legal, is in fact correct. This is in complete contrast to everything they have told us so far.ā€

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-cabinet-minister-admitted-eu-is-correct-to-ban-uk-shellfish-despite-branding-it-legally-wrong/ar-BB1dxviE?ocid=msedgntp

So, he threatened to use our gunboats to board EU boats if they didn't back down on the ban despite it being the case that he has admitted to the Shellfish Association of Great Britain that the ban is perfectly legal. WOW! More utter incompetence, and more brexit lies.

Should he resign immediately? Yes!

Will he resign? No!

Edited by horsefly

39 minutes ago, Indy said:

Thatā€™s cause youā€™re all posh, with your Rick Steins chip shops and Nathan Outlaw restaurants šŸ˜‰

Rick Stein is not doing very well in Cornwall. The locals in Padstow don't like him because he used to avoid paying his bills.

His restaurant in Falmouth closed because he was charging Ā£10 for a piece of fish when locals were charging Ā£6.

And he isn't from Cornwall but tries to make out he is. If there is one thing the Cornish dislike, its someone trying to be something they ain't.

• Haha 1

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Rick Stein is not doing very well in Cornwall. The locals in Padstow don't like him because he used to avoid paying his bills.

His restaurant in Falmouth closed because he was charging Ā£10 for a piece of fish when locals were charging Ā£6.

And he isn't from Cornwall but tries to make out he is. If there is one thing the Cornish dislike, its someone trying to be something they ain't.

I know I holiday in padstow, his shop and chip shop near the big car park is always packed! Tourists, yet the chip shop near the harbour is really nice and cheaper! The guys I normally rent the cottage from dislike him too, he lives in Australia now doesnā€™t he?

45 minutes ago, Indy said:

I know I holiday in padstow, his shop and chip shop near the big car park is always packed! Tourists, yet the chip shop near the harbour is really nice and cheaper! The guys I normally rent the cottage from dislike him too, he lives in Australia now doesnā€™t he?

I think he flits between both countries. Not sure where he is at the moment.

I forgot that he also sold his restaurant in Porthleven to Michael Caines.

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

O dear now Pinky and Perky have problems, and they are to big.

She said she thought the whole point of leaving the EU had been to look after "our own industries better" but instead "all we are doing is selling ourselves down the river".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-55997320

Surely they know the supermarkets want a certain type of meat. For some reason Tesco and co want lean meat. I prefer a bit of fat on my meat so it tastes better. When you have nowhere else to sell, with a more diverse choice, then you will struggle.

New Zealand farmers are doing quite well. A few years back they removed all Government subsidies and left their farmers to compete with other nation whose farmers receive subsidies. The best survived because they got a fair price for what became a better product. The rest were only surviving because of massive subsidies.

I think that ought to be the way for our farming industry. Milk is stupidly and ridiculously cheap. The dairy farmer should get a better price and we pay a bit more.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

If you're into seafood KG - I highly recommendĀ https://www.catchmawganporthbeach.co.uk/Ā >> The guys who run it used to own a restaurant called "The Breaks" on Tolcarne Beach, Newquay. Me and my partner both agree that the food at The Breaks was certainly top 2 and maybe sneaks it as the best we've ever had (The only competition is the best seafood restaurant in Rome!). The owner is the head chef, so quality will be the same - he has worked with Raymond Blanc and James Martin amongst others.

Reasonable prices (it's not cheap but for the quality of food, it's really good value), stunning food, and casual, chilled atmosphere. Was an incredible meal. I've not been to Catch as not been back to Cornwall in a while, but there's a good chance we will schedule a trip down at some point in next year or two and we will probably go to Newquay or surrounding area specifically to be reaonably accessible forĀ that restaurant. The food was THAT good.

• Like 1

Everyone is jumping on the batteries being made in Germany with glee, but the jobs here will not go. Hams hall will continue to build there engines whilst Cowley will continue to build the Mini in all versions, including the Electric Minis so please calm down plus Swindon will carry on, there's no panic at those plants.Ā Ā 

And the grifting continues. Caroline Treble-Barreled-Surname, friend of Hatt Mancock, horse breeder, gets a big fat PPE contract. End of Soviet era type thievery.

Ā 

Ā 

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

And the grifting continues. Caroline Treble-Barreled-Surname, friend of Hatt Mancock, horse breeder, gets a big fat PPE contract. End of Soviet era type thievery.

Ā 

Ā 

Jesus! How many is that now of his mates who have been awarded uncontested multi-million pound government contracts? He's certainly guaranteed himself a few well paid consultancies on the boards of his mates' companiesĀ when he finally leaves the cabinet. Has he defended the NHS from the IEA's disgracefulĀ attack yet? or is he looking for further pay-offs from them too?

9 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Everyone is jumping on the batteries being made in Germany with glee, but the jobs here will not go. Hams hall will continue to build there engines whilst Cowley will continue to build the Mini in all versions, including the Electric Minis so please calm down plus Swindon will carry on, there's no panic at those plants.Ā Ā 

Explain how this is supposed to be a brexit related issue?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, horsefly said:

George "useless" Eustace lives up to his name. Having threatened the EU with gunboats claiming the EUĀ ban on certain categories of shellfish was illegal we now find out the following:

Brexit: Cabinet minister ā€˜admitted EU is correct to ban UK shellfishā€™ despite branding it ā€˜legally wrongā€™

Ā 

A Cabinet minister is facing claims he privately admitted the EU is right to ban UKĀ shellfishĀ because ofĀ BrexitĀ ā€“ despite publicly branding it ā€œlegally wrongā€.

An email sent to beleaguered traders by the Shellfish Association says aĀ government letter has ā€œchanged this positionā€ and acknowledged thatĀ the EU's legal position ā€œis correctā€.

ā€œJust yesterday, the government sent a letter to the EU blaming them for the block on shellfish fishers exporting their catch. Less than 24 hours later, they've admitted that it's the governmentā€™s own fault,ā€

Ā 

the email sent by the Shellfish Association of Great Britain, seen by theĀ Politics HomeĀ website, said it had received a government ā€œupdateā€ on the export of unpurified mussels, clams, scallops, and cockles.

ā€œAll along they have told us that they believe the trade in class B animals is legal and that the regulation supports this. They have now changed this position,ā€ it is reported to say.

ā€œThey now say that they believe on balance that the EU view, that the trade is not legal, is in fact correct. This is in complete contrast to everything they have told us so far.ā€

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-cabinet-minister-admitted-eu-is-correct-to-ban-uk-shellfish-despite-branding-it-legally-wrong/ar-BB1dxviE?ocid=msedgntp

So, he threatened to use our gunboats to board EU boats if they didn't back down on the ban despite it being the case that he has admitted to the Shellfish Association of Great Britain that the ban is perfectly legal. WOW! More utter incompetence, and more brexit lies.

Should he resign immediately? Yes!

Will he resign? No!

Ā 
And here's a highly relevant point posted on twitter:
Ā 
As an EU member, the UK was party to the ban on importing shellfish from 3rd countries. For a decade, UK suppliers did very nicely. Now outside the EU, the UK is subject to that ban. The Govt knew this was an inevitable consequence of Brexit. It has no grounds for complaint.

2 billion pounds worth of contracts gone to Conservative friends and donors at last count. Pretty disgusting really.Ā 

Just now, SwindonCanary said:

shut up !

Oh dear ****! that's fine advice to yourself. I'm beginning to think the confused emoji you keep posting is actually a self-portrait. The question is a very easy one (for anyone possessed of aĀ normal levelĀ of intelligence). You have posted a link that makes no reference to Brexit, so why are you posting it as if it is a positive brexit story when clearly it isn't?

it was you lot who starting with gloatingĀ Ā about it, I just put them straight.

is your post anything to do with Brexit ?

Edited by SwindonCanary

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

THE EU has been called "a protectionist racket" by a historian.' That's because that's what it's always been.

The fact that you post a banal inaccurate "quote" like this without naming the person who saidĀ it or providing a reference for its source, says everything about your appalling argumentative skills.

Ā 

14 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

THE EU has been called "a protectionist racket" by a historian.' That's because that's what it's always been.

It protects its members. That's what it has always been about.Ā