Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

He did indeed. And we all look forward to that becoming true - if it does. Meanwhile we can also all see the damage being done to the UK economy NOW, and for those sectors it isn’t going to get better quickly, as it is what the UK government wanted (the new import / export rules if not the logical outcome of those rules) 

But go ahead attack the universities, why not, authoritarians always attack science, culture, education, religion, anything that stands in the way of their specific political ideology. 

I can't be bothered to discuss with RTB - but a precis of The Barclays chief goes something like....

We've already lost and are losing a lot of business to Europe but chin up - we can forget Europe for now and try and compete globally with New York and Singapore instead.

It's called making the best of bad situation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Indy said:

Not necessarily, the sale is normally between the fishing vessels and a buyer, once the fish has been bought its then up to the importer to have arrangements in place to transport the fish. So as most fish sales are completed pre quota I’m not sure you can be so sure unless you know the exact contractual arrangements. In this case you’re probably wrong and it’s the importers cost!

If it’s not costing the importer then there’s not much of an issue, which isn’t the case.

I'm not probably wrong. I am right, the liability for delivery to the customer lies with the supplier. In the case of fresh produce, most customers have strict checks on the sanity conditions of the product before they sign off acceptance of the produce. It's only when the sign of takes place is it the customer's responsibility. You only have to think about it for a moment, why would a customer be responsible for the freshness of a product that is in the middle of being transported through a third country, for example.

In the situation you describe, the inspection and sign off takes place at dockside in the home country of the customer. so it's not then passing through a customs check point.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

He did indeed. And we all look forward to that becoming true - if it does. Meanwhile we can also all see the damage being done to the UK economy NOW, and for those sectors it isn’t going to get better quickly, as it is what the UK government wanted (the new import / export rules if not the logical outcome of those rules) 

But go ahead attack the universities, why not, authoritarians always attack science, culture, education, religion, anything that stands in the way of their specific political ideology. 

Would that be authoritarians of the left or authoritarians of the right or just authoritarians in general? 

And while not supporting anyone who is authoritarian of any hue, you seem to be inferring that libertarians get a free ride. That doesn't seem to be working out too well in Portland.

6 hours ago, horsefly said:

It's not as if we have proof that every despotic regime in history attacks the intellectuals and burns books is it? I wonder why that might be?

Getting books cancelled is the same as book burning. Something that the woke left is good at these days. why are you so afraid of different opinions?

5 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I can't be bothered to discuss with RTB - but a precis of The Barclays chief goes something like....

We've already lost and are losing a lot of business to Europe but chin up - we can forget Europe for now and try and compete globally with New York and Singapore instead.

It's called making the best of bad situation.

This is where you fail again. You use the term 'we' in reference to the CEO of Barclays as though he is somehow representing the UK. In fact, he is an American citizen and he is running a global company. When Jeff thinks in terms of 'we' it isn't UK versus EU, he is thinking of 'we' as in a large global business that operates on a 24/7 basis. So he is making a judgement call as a neutral based on his years of experience working in the financial industry that on balance Brexit will be positive for Britain and our financial services will prosper in the years to come.

I happen to agree with him.

Or he is making a judgment that for him (an American) and his company (international corporation) he can make more money elsewhere now that we have wrecked our relationship with the rest of Europe. I happen to agree with him too. 

But never fear, Boris's mates have a plan to solve the N.I problem. 

One that if it were implemented would also destroy the UK's "special relationship" with the US as well. 

Ireland.jpg

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

I'm not probably wrong. I am right, the liability for delivery to the customer lies with the supplier. In the case of fresh produce, most customers have strict checks on the sanity conditions of the product before they sign off acceptance of the produce. It's only when the sign of takes place is it the customer's responsibility. You only have to think about it for a moment, why would a customer be responsible for the freshness of a product that is in the middle of being transported through a third country, for example.

In the situation you describe, the inspection and sign off takes place at dockside in the home country of the customer. so it's not then passing through a customs check point.

Nope you’re not as you have no idea on the company procedure as normal you’re making things up to suite your argument 😂

It’s not the a.ways the suppliers risk especially with produce with high risk like frozen goods... that’s why goods like fish are sold at source and the importer will arrange transportation through their own refrigerated hauliers or a third party haulier, the goods will be bought at source and delivery of the goods will be through the importers transport network. 

But you know best as you say you’re right! 😂👍 

• Like 1

The UK-EU Trade Deal has been operating for one month and just like Project Fear at the time of the referendum, Project Fear 2.0 Brexit has followed the same hollow threats that have failed to materialise. So how are things in reality?

Supermarket shelves will be empty - nope, didn't happen. There was not even a hint of panic buying and shoppers have been able to get stuff without any hassles at all. The only cloud has been covid regulations where essential items only could be sold, but other than this Brexit has not caused empty supermarket shelves. Unilever has described the additional border paperwork as ‘trivial’ and ‘not…a big impediment’.

Lengthy queues at ports - It turns out that those scenes at Dover were caused by EU truckers trying to get back home for Christmas. Fake news in other words. Here were are in February and the queues are... non-existent. Most trucks are pre-cleared through computer systems and it is the odd truck that now turns up with the wrong paperwork.

Financial services will move to Europe - A few thousand jobs moved, not the tens or hundreds of thousands that were predicted by Project Fear 2.0 We have successfully avoided regulatory alignment which means we can now go global - Switzerland can now trade shares in the UK having fallen out with the EU - and as the CEO of Barclays says, Brexit will be a positive for the industry.

Firms will not be prepared for new trade arrangements - given how the negotiations went right up to the last minute, many companies were unable to prepare in advance for the new trading arrangements and so some delays were unavoidable. This does not apply just to UK firms though. EU companies doing business with the UK faced the same situation

The new trade rules add extra costs and prices will rise - once the paperwork is done the first time, it is simple to replicate documentation for future shipments. It's a very quick and easy solution. On a shipment of £10,000 value the export documentation costs around £75 to produce,  a small fraction of the value of the consignment

Fishermen have a bad deal - this is one area where Brexit hasn't been good to a section of British industry, probably because fishing was going to be the deal-breaker on which everything else would flounder if there was no compromise. Fisherman can feel aggrieved for being sacrificed for the rest of us with just 25% of EU's catch coming to us by 2026. so work will have to be done on this part of the deal somewhere down the line.

All sides must respect the Good Friday Agreement - after one month it is clear that the NI protocol is not going to work. The new trade arrangements are working better in the UK than any one forecast with the exception of NI where the rules on transporting goods into the province from GB are causing the kind of problems that Article 16 of the withdrawal agreement was designed for. That is: serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties that are liable to persist, or to diversion of trade

Therefore, the government are correctly considering the triggering of Art. 16 in order to remedy the serious difficulties that the trade deal is causing the people of NI. We have been enormously helped in this respect by the EU threatening to impose Art. 16 over vaccine supplies as thus setting a precedent that we can follow.

In conclusion, most of Project Fear 2.0 failed to materialise just as it didn't materialise nearly five years ago. Unsurprisingly, there have been a few teething problems with minor things like paperwork but that will sort itself out in time. The government has the NI protocol in its sights and we can expect that this present arrangement won't be in place in its current form for much longer, which leaves fishing as the one topic which hasn't done well out of Brexit.

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The UK-EU Trade Deal has been operating for one month and just like Project Fear at the time of the referendum, Project Fear 2.0 Brexit has followed the same hollow threats that have failed to materialise. So how are things in reality

Lengthy queues at ports - It turns out that those scenes at Dover were caused by EU truckers trying to get back home for Christmas. Fake news in other words. Here we are in February and the queues are... non-existent. 

Like I just posted - welcome to the real world... not the Brexit fantasy. Non existent queues eh - ever wonder why?

Gove.jpg

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Or he is making a judgment that for him (an American) and his company (international corporation) he can make more money elsewhere now that we have wrecked our relationship with the rest of Europe. I happen to agree with him too. 

Well it's true that Brexit means we will be able to make a lot more money in the global economy which is growing than in the EU which annually sees a decreasing share of world trade. I expect you'll agree with me there.

11 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Meanwhile, back in the real world....

Gove.jpg

Ever hear of covid? You do realise that industries on both sides of the channel are not working at peak rates? Wake up, surf!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Surfer said:

But never fear, Boris's mates have a plan to solve the N.I problem. 

One that if it were implemented would also destroy the UK's "special relationship" with the US as well. 

Ireland.jpg

Yes, I hope we have a hard border with Ireland, they are after all a foreign country and all the terrorists from the troubles are living in care homes. It's time we stopped giving special benefits to the south. Though I expect Gove and Johnson will negotiate something softer than a hard border.

So in summary - 

As long as it's beneficial for American lead international corporations, Brexit is good.

Any problems that are due to Brexit, are not due to Brexit, but instead are due to Covid.

The Irish are a very peace loving people, and the troubles were long ago, so scr3w them.

Copy that.

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Like I just posted - welcome to the real world... not the Brexit fantasy. Non existent queues eh - ever wonder why?

Gove.jpg

It's the Guardian ffs, so intentionally misleading...

When will you Lefties cease grasping stories like this without ever thinking about the content or actual facts?

85% of Ireland's exports to the UK transited UK ports until end 2020 -- Does the 68% drop take this into account? It's a loss of business for ports, not a loss of UK exports --- Similarly, the UK was a landing point for international imports intended for the continental EU market -- This will no longer happen, but isn't a drop in UK exports either...

And are they really so dumb at the Guardian to ignore the detriment the virus has caused? Of course the answer to that is both dumb and ignorant.

Bring on the GB News channel with all due haste 👍

54 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

lengthy queues at ports - It turns out that those scenes at Dover were caused by EU truckers trying to get back home for Christmas. Fake news in other words. Here were are in February and the queues are... non-existent.

The queues are non-existent because the lorries are non-existent, dumbo. Transport traffic has dropped alarming because trading has dropped alarmingly. In fact long queues would be a better sign as it would at least indicate that a reasonably significant amount of trade was happening. But don't take my word for it, listen to a company boss who actually voted for Brexit:

"Among those who are unhappy is company director Maxine Sault, who says she now believes she made a mistake in voting for Brexit

“I am wondering whether I have been weirdly transported to another planet where exporting my goods to Europe has been banned,” said Mrs Sault, who has run C & M Global and Toys 4 Life at Bednall, near Stafford, with her daughter Charlotte Stokes for six years.

“I am wondering why on earth did I vote for Brexit,” she said. She explained that other businesses she was speaking to were also having difficulties.

One company we know in Willenhall has only been able to send one out of a scheduled six trucks out to Europe so far since the start of the year,” she said."

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/business/2021/01/29/i-made-a-mistake-voting-for-brexit-says-business-as-stock-sits-waiting-to-leave-west-midlands/?fbclid=IwAR3l6b6_-ZXc8gczWiD6TbehpZ5glelCCB50M8dNCIrQOHNPO8MkUWwdKxQ

23 minutes ago, Jools said:

Well at least then you will have a 24 hours a day 7 days a week "news" channel to reflect your head in the sand world view .... best mind your pockets though, Rupert and his gang knows all about fleecing sheep.

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

Well at least then you will have a 24 hours a day 7 days a week "news" channel to reflect your head in the sand world view .... best mind your pockets though, Rupert and his gang knows all about fleecing sheep.

Seems appropriate that the Gammons should have their own news channel dedicated to serving up a daily diet of big fat porky pies.

4 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I'm not probably wrong. I am right, the liability for delivery to the customer lies with the supplier.

Would depend on the incoterms negotiated in the contract 😉

16 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

It all really depends upon the terms of trade. It would appear ownership passed to the importer in this case I would guess at the fish auction as would be expected.

3 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Would depend on the incoterms negotiated in the contract 😉

6 hours ago, Indy said:

Nope you’re not as you have no idea on the company procedure as normal you’re making things up to suite your argument 😂

It’s not the a.ways the suppliers risk especially with produce with high risk like frozen goods... that’s why goods like fish are sold at source and the importer will arrange transportation through their own refrigerated hauliers or a third party haulier, the goods will be bought at source and delivery of the goods will be through the importers transport network. 

But you know best as you say you’re right! 😂👍 

And of course the most relevant thing of all in this particular case is that Mr Arnold has no complaints about his suppliers. It is entirely the effects of Brexit that he blames for his woes.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

I see RTB is back telling us about his views on financial markets.

Let's not forget this is the same poster who thought that the loss of 6bn annual share trading was outweighed by a 7bn IPO because the number 7 is higher than the number 6.

I think this is what they meant when they said that they'd had enough of experts..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jools said:

It's the Guardian ffs, so intentionally misleading...

When will you Lefties cease grasping stories like this without ever thinking about the content or actual facts?

85% of Ireland's exports to the UK transited UK ports until end 2020 -- Does the 68% drop take this into account? It's a loss of business for ports, not a loss of UK exports --- Similarly, the UK was a landing point for international imports intended for the continental EU market -- This will no longer happen, but isn't a drop in UK exports either...

And are they really so dumb at the Guardian to ignore the detriment the virus has caused? Of course the answer to that is both dumb and ignorant.

Here you go Gumby Gammon, even your beloved Telegraph knows the truth, it's the disastrous Brexit deal that is to blame:

The Telegraph

Hauliers say exports to European Union are down 68pc since Brexit

A survey of international hauliers has found the volume of exports travelling from British ports to the EU fell 68 per cent last month compared to the same period last year.

The research by the Road Haulage Association (RHA) prompted it to write to Cabinet Minister Michael Gove to call for assistance, particularly with increasing the number of customs agents from 10,000 to 50,0000 to help firms with extra post-Brexit paperwork.

Chief executive Richard Burnett told The Observer that the RHA had also found 65-75 per cent of vehicles arriving from the EU were returning to the bloc empty due to a lack of goods, hold-ups in the UK and because British companies had halted exports to the continent.

Mr Burnett said he found it "deeply frustrating and annoying that ministers have chosen not to listen to the industry and experts", who have consistently called for greater consultation by Government.

He said Mr Gove had not responded in writing "pretty much every time we have written over the last six months".

"He tends to get officials to start working on things. But the responses are a complete waste of time because they don't listen to what the issues were that we raised in the first place," Mr Burnett said.

The Government offered a six-month grace period following Brexit, allowing the suspension of the full range of physical checks on imports until July.

On Thursday, former Tory chancellor Lord Lamont warned red tape linked to the Brexit deal had rendered most business between Britain and Northern Ireland uneconomic.

Two weeks earlier, the RHA said a 12-month grace period and urgent financial aid were needed to iron out problems with the post-Brexit Irish Sea trade border.

I wonder why we haven't seen the predicted massive queues of Lorries at the ports?....  Brexidiots!!!

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

Meanwhile, back in the real world....

Gove.jpg

So, did we all misshear Gove in that interview and what he really said was "People have had enough of Exports".

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

They're clearly dumb enough to have voted Brexit, and clearly rate highly on the gammon scale. So yes, that's a pretty safe bet H.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-ill-wait-for-the-english-vaccine-how-nationalism-is-affecting-the-fight-against-coronavirus-12207629?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Darwinian evolution at work there. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Absolutely. No sympathy if they catch it and die. That's a direct result of their own xenophobia and stupidity and nobody's fault but their own.

23 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Absolutely. No sympathy if they catch it and die. That's a direct result of their own xenophobia and stupidity and nobody's fault but their own.

I wonder what other medicines they are turning down because they are sourced outside of the UK? YF is right, they ain't got long on this earth.