Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

A good example of the near impossibility of getting Brexiteers to understand what they voted for:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexiteer-who-voted-to-take-back-control-of-british-waters-left-baffled-by-new-trade-deal/ar-BB1cNQAo?ocid=msedgntp

James O’Brien had a less than productive conversation with a Brexit voter who just couldn’t understand the new trade deal and its impact on fishing.

The call begins with the caller, named Simon, saying that he voted for Brexit so politicians could decide which trawlers can catch certain fish in our waters.

“Do you understand why that is impossible now?” O’Brien asks in response. When Simon doesn’t know how to answer, the LBC host says that it’s because “the massive majority of the fish we eat is caught by foreign fleets.”

However, the caller is firmly unconvinced and calls out the increased paperwork, which he claims is because the European Union is “finding it difficult to accept common terms”.

The point is the paperwork is for people that aren’t members of the single market or the customs union,” O’Brien replies. “The paperwork is an inevitable consequence of leaving the European Union.”

Still, the Brexit voter remains baffled and unable to understand why fishing is facing increased bureaucracy thanks to the trade deal.

The caller argues that the UK surely should have parity with EU members in trade, but O’Brien refutes by explaining that the “benefits of membership are confined to members”.

The conversation continues as Simon repeatedly interrupts O’Brien, while the radio host looks visibly fed up.

An exasperated O’Brien eventually gives upp, saying, “I’m genuinely trying to help although I’m increasingly worrying that you’re not genuinely in seek of helping understanding all of this.”

This comes after Brexit bureaucracy has effectively put the fishing industry at a standstill. 

Meanwhile, Jacob Rees Mogg says fish are “happier” because they are “now British”.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, horsefly said:

A good example of the near impossibility of getting Brexiteers to understand what they voted for:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexiteer-who-voted-to-take-back-control-of-british-waters-left-baffled-by-new-trade-deal/ar-BB1cNQAo?ocid=msedgntp

James O’Brien had a less than productive conversation with a Brexit voter who just couldn’t understand the new trade deal and its impact on fishing.

The call begins with the caller, named Simon, saying that he voted for Brexit so politicians could decide which trawlers can catch certain fish in our waters.

“Do you understand why that is impossible now?” O’Brien asks in response. When Simon doesn’t know how to answer, the LBC host says that it’s because “the massive majority of the fish we eat is caught by foreign fleets.”

However, the caller is firmly unconvinced and calls out the increased paperwork, which he claims is because the European Union is “finding it difficult to accept common terms”.

The point is the paperwork is for people that aren’t members of the single market or the customs union,” O’Brien replies. “The paperwork is an inevitable consequence of leaving the European Union.”

Still, the Brexit voter remains baffled and unable to understand why fishing is facing increased bureaucracy thanks to the trade deal.

The caller argues that the UK surely should have parity with EU members in trade, but O’Brien refutes by explaining that the “benefits of membership are confined to members”.

The conversation continues as Simon repeatedly interrupts O’Brien, while the radio host looks visibly fed up.

An exasperated O’Brien eventually gives upp, saying, “I’m genuinely trying to help although I’m increasingly worrying that you’re not genuinely in seek of helping understanding all of this.”

This comes after Brexit bureaucracy has effectively put the fishing industry at a standstill. 

Meanwhile, Jacob Rees Mogg says fish are “happier” because they are “now British”.

I heard this live and the bloke simply could not (would not) understand that we are being treated like a third country even though he voted to become one. All the EUs fault of course.😉

Another guy on the show was brilliant. A man from Newlyn who has spent the last few years explaining to fellow fisherman why brexit would be bad for them. Now he is spending his time helping them get through their stupid decision.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/fisherman-tells-james-obrien-brexit-deal-is-total-lunacy-for-uk-fisheries/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Herman said:

I heard this live and the bloke simply could not (would not) understand that we are being treated like a third country even though he voted to become one. All the EUs fault of course.😉

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/fisherman-tells-james-obrien-brexit-deal-is-total-lunacy-for-uk-fisheries/

Sounds just like the fab 4 clown we have on here!

23 minutes ago, Well b back said:

That letter box at number 10 must be getting a lot more use than normal, now it’s the Welsh seafood industries asking for urgent assistance due to problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55688926

As per the Scottish boats landing their catch in Denmark - perhaps they could go Eire ?

Did I read a month or two back that many Scottish boats had re-registered in NI (in the SM)  for exactly the same reason?

Edited by Yellow Fever

sovereignty

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

As per the Scottish boats landing their catch in Denmark - perhaps they could go Eire ?

Did I read a month or two back that many Scottish boats had re-registered in NI (in the SM)  for exactly the same reason?

I would imagine that the boats in question are on the east coast, so it would be a long journey round to the ROI (Republic of Ireland)

NI is part of the UK so is outside the Single Market

What the stupidity of the Brexiteers still cannot grasp is they voted for the UK to leave the EU and so be  a 'third country'. Strangely enough they never complained before January 1st 2021 that third countries faced this level of red tape .

In their stupidity they did not (or more likely want) to grasp that the whole purpose of having a single market is to remove that red tape (border checks), costs and delay. That means agreeing how things should be.... standardisation, which the brexiteers in a further bout of stupidity referred to as the EU ' masking our laws'.

All these quite easily understood concepts seem to elude the average brexiteers limited intellect. For them having the same sized ship containers is having rules imposed upon them - whereas normal folk just recognise the benefit that standardisation brings.

But, perhaps it wasn't really about this at all. Perhaps it was as with the rightys in the US. Closet racism trying to pass itself off as concern for 'sovereignty'. Because when seen as that so much else falls into place.

Not least any number of posts on here

• Like 1

On 28/12/2020 at 00:20, paul moy said:

It is not the main language in ANY EU state barring Ireland.  Jeez.....

I never mentioned the commission as it is irrelevant.    They may even change to French now that we have left.

Difficult to justify changing to French when the next contender as most widely spoken European language would be German. 

13 hours ago, Well b back said:

That letter box at number 10 must be getting a lot more use than normal, now it’s the Welsh seafood industries asking for urgent assistance due to problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55688926

This is the same lady mentioned a few days ago. Proud Brexiter.🤨

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1183363/brexit-news-no-deal-boris-johnson-wales-fisheries-nerys-edwards-syren-shellfish

2 hours ago, Herman said:

That little quote from Galatians about reaping what you sow keeps coming to mind as these Brexit cheerleaders suddenly realise that what many of us warned would happen is actually happening. It's not as if it was difficult to work out that red-tape would increase dramatically the minute we left the SM, so it's hard to feel sympathy for the idiots who allowed prejudice to triumph over reason. I find myself torn between schadenfreude and despair.

Edited by horsefly

We just have to make sure the right people get blamed. You can see the narrative will soon be to blame the EU/Remainers but everything that was promised, that is turning out to be false, is all on record.

"We hold all the cards...." is one that gets me. How the **** did they get away with that??🤬

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

"We hold all the cards...." is one that gets me. How the **** did they get away with that??🤬

In a card game we held what is known as the dead mans hand. Outcome of the game, we are the dying man of Europe.

16 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

In a card game we held what is known as the dead mans hand. Outcome of the game, we are the dying man of Europe.

This tweet from 2016 pops up regularly.

"EU lays down a royal flush. UK looks at own cards: Mr Bun the Baker, Pikachu, a Shadowmage, a fireball spell, and the Fool."
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/12/2020 at 18:11, Rock The Boat said:

He hasn't backed down. The problem was the EU refused to commit to what the checks on goods would be. They refused to commit so that they could hold a gun to the head of the UK and threaten us at any time in any situation of their own choosing. For the UK the situation would be like living with a permanent noose around our neck. Something you idiots would happily concede to. But the EU has at last backed down and agreed to specify exactly what the checks would be and when and how they would be put in place. The uncertainty has been removed and so the additional clauses are no longer needed.

Boris has stood firm, not given an inch, and won this round of the battle. A small victory for the Brexit side. But no cheering from me as this is far from finished business

So, the current checks and costs/delays were known, before the 'deal' was signed.

In fact, they were being promoted as the EU 'backing down

Edited by Bill

On 15/01/2020 at 13:41, Van wink said:

I don’t see that at all, certainly the main theme of this thread is abuse being thrown around by remainers,  most leavers I suspect sit on the sideline happy that things are moving on.

As for the government they seem to be getting off to a good start, as I had said previously Johnson is far more Liberal than many on here are prepared to accept, not fitting their agenda of RWNJ and all that 😀

odd how someones true colours can be revealed at times

like to guess which side of the debate hand crank was always on ?

• Haha 1

On 13/01/2020 at 16:21, SwindonCanary said:

image.png.d907681c8c709c7d2e879e71fb569c98.png

I wonder how many they sold

and I am not sure if it was a new range of 'mugs' either, seems to be the same gullible thickos as before 🤪

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

and I am not sure if it was a new range of 'mugs' either, seems to be the same gullible thickos as before 🤪

I think "Mugs" refers to the people not the drinking vessel.

On 07/01/2020 at 20:24, Rock The Boat said:

I spent ten years working as a consultant for the EU in both Brussels and Luxembourg. At all their major sites they have a supermarket selling luxury products at knock down prices, not just for the politicians but also for the fonctionaires (the civil servants). Tax-free and vat-free Champagne cost a couple of quid back in the day.

Each Friday lunchtime I would go and buy a crate of Champagne and a side of smoked salmon and invite a group of bureaucrats to my office for a free drinks session during the afternoon which meant I got plenty of projects channelled my way. The trough was deep and they emptied it on a regular basis.

I have often pointed out that RTB is merely a sad troll who likes to post under various names, using lies as a means to provoke response

Perhaps he can explain when that day was when "Tax-free and vat-free Champagne cost a couple of quid back in the day."

Before, or after, the A11 was duelled ?

It’s noticeable how confused things still are, My company has a contract with a Norwegian firm for engineering design services, open to no agreed fixed hours but as and when needed, each project has an agreement on amount of hours to be used.

This means they send working folders to us in the UK and we do the work. Under the contractual agreement and IR35 we are obligated to support any contract awards and attend meetings in Norway with the end user and our client at their facility. The issues come that we have to work under Norwegian law, now there’s some issues to acceptance of UK qualifications to Norwegian standards, do we need to apply for any working visa as we aren’t physically working in Norway just supporting the client and last I need to carry out checks on my company insurance cover as under the changes we no longer part of the single market and my line of business isn’t clear detailed with my insurer, they are looking into things.

My Norwegian clients are cautious using us UK companies at the moment and I’ve not had any new projects since 4th December as they need to complete their due diligence on any requirements I need to complete to fulfil their QA.

Basically I can’t do any work as I can’t take the risk of my company being sued for any issues which might occur, so at present no Norwegian projects. Not great, but at least the fish are happy! 

Edited by Indy
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

All manufactured in China!

• Haha 1

On 07/01/2020 at 07:25, SwindonCanary said:

What a bunch of losers Labour have chosen to put forward, not one with an ounce of talent, common sense or charisma among them. All voted to remain, who's gonna vote for them ?

apart from Starmer who is having a field day knocking seven bells out of the hapless Johnson each week at PMQs

1 hour ago, dj11 said:

Lest we forget. 

DB51965F-1C9C-4665-AA33-CDF6BD17CF16.jpeg

Looks like the beginnings of a new range of Top Trumps cards called "Brexiteer". I wonder what the 5 categories would be. Perhaps:

1. Lying

2. Xenophobia

3. Unhinged optimism

4. Gammon rating

5.Top Trumps rating

On 11/01/2020 at 13:44, paul moy said:

It will be the other way round once the irrational doubters are won over, just as Trump are winning them over in the USA.  Under a true leader such as Boris that believes in our country, backed up by the majority of the population that also believe in our country we are going to thrive and you lot of fearmongers and troughers (?) and going to look very very stupid in years to come.

oh dear

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

I have often pointed out that RTB is merely a sad troll who likes to post under various names, using lies as a means to provoke response

Perhaps he can explain when that day was when "Tax-free and vat-free Champagne cost a couple of quid back in the day."

Before, or after, the A11 was duelled ?

Indeed! I think he's getting his fantasies mixed up, I suspect the one he's thinking of is where he gets invited to Epstein's island to spend time with all those "well paid (child) prostitues" he told us about.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I think "Mugs" refers to the people not the drinking vessel.

err, yes