Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

I flew from Norwich airport to Amsterdam a number of times in 1971/2 to see my brother who worked there. I was searched a few times and had an apple and a pork pie confiscated with a telling off. At the time we had swine fever and they were very touchy about any meat products. As we are now not in the club, it just reverts back, and I respect the Dutch enforcing these laws. I assume we will do the same. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Never mind. You were factually out by a factor of 10 and plainly wrong in your desperation to be anti EU (before anything else) when there was no fault to be found. If you read any of the balanced links (not rabid echo chambers for the stupid) you might discover the truth (German and indeed other EU countries are indeed ordering extra Pfizer jabs  - from unused / unallocated / not required orders from elsewhere. It not an EU issue at all and it doesn't affect the EU order. Nobody is stealing the Pfizer vaccine from others.

Why don't you try to defend the real problems the fishermen, hauliers and so on are now having with Brexit. Real issues not make believe ones or does than not fit your dodgy agenda?

Here's a balanced view of the position. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-buys-extra-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-from-eu-countries/ 

Good to see you doing some research and realising the errors of your original posts. Don't forget the German towels on sunbeds before breakfast is a deeply entrenched mentality in that country. They just can't help themselves. 

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Many countries have rules like these. I think meat and dairy sandwiches are  prohibited from being brought in to the UK (though I think meat and dairy can be imported for personal use as long as not in a sandwich)

New Zealand wouldn't let the dirt on my walking boots into their country, and rightly so 

All true. Which begs the question, why does our national broadcaster consider this to be a newsworthy event framed in terms of Brexit bashing with the intention of giving Remainers a hard-on?

23 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I do know that in 1944 the Dutch people were literally being starved by the Germans and we Brits made food drops to save them. We lost a number of pilots and crew saving the Dutch. 

Most of Holland was liberated by Canadian and Polish troops you xenophobic idiot. The Dutch are very thankful for UK support over the years, including being an ally at Waterloo (as were the government in Berlin / Prussia) but they also see what the UK government has devolved into, and are probably preparing the food parcels to send our way this time. Seems like a significant number of our school kids need those already as our government has failed so miserably at that task - unless the task was to provide yet another dodgy handout to Tory party supporters, in which case it’s a job well done ...

Edited by Surfer

14 minutes ago, dj11 said:

I flew from Norwich airport to Amsterdam a number of times in 1971/2 to see my brother who worked there. I was searched a few times and had an apple and a pork pie confiscated with a telling off. At the time we had swine fever and they were very touchy about any meat products. As we are now not in the club, it just reverts back, and I respect the Dutch enforcing these laws. I assume we will do the same. 

Fair enough. I remember going in to Australia and on disembarking the whole plane load was searched for food. It's a fairly common process in many countries. 

7 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Most of Holland was liberated by Canadian and Polish troops you xenophobic idiot. The Dutch are very thankful for UK support over the years, including being an ally at Waterloo (as were the government in Berlin / Prussia) but they also see what the UK government has devolved into, and are probably preparing the food parcels to send our way this time. Seems like a significant number of our school kids need those already as our government has failed so miserably at that task - unless the task was to provide yet another dodgy handout to Tory party supporters, in which case it’s a job well done ...

Xenophobic idiot? We're a bit grumpy this morning aren't we?

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

Fair enough. I remember going in to Australia and on disembarking the whole plane load was searched for food. It's a fairly common process in many countries. 

So to summarize. You were wrong. Thank you for admitting that at least. So as to why the BBC reported it, I don’t know perhaps it’s news that for the first time in over 40 years you can’t take food with you when to transit into Europe? 

How you react to that news it up to you. Seems like a red rag to a bull issue for some though...

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

Xenophobic idiot? We're a bit grumpy this morning aren't we?

“We lost a number of pilots and crew saving the Dutch” 

Just now, Surfer said:

So to summarize. You were wrong. Thank you for admitting that at least. So as to why the BBC reported it, I don’t know perhaps it’s news that for the first time in over 40 years you can’t take food with you when to transit into Europe? 

How you react to that news it up to you. Seems like a red rag to a bull issue for some though...

What was I wrong about? My first post was that it was petty. When I entered Australia, people were allowed to consume their foodstuffs rather than have it confiscated. The Dutch customs would let the guy eat his sandwich. That's petty, especially when the customs officer says it's due to Brexit. Perhaps the Dutch should remember the next time they are being starved by Germans. After all, the Germans are not beyond stealing their fare share of Covid vaccines. 

And for the BBC to make a big story out of this is just the regular Brexit bashing that we've put up with for the past five years from that organisation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Surfer said:

“We lost a number of pilots and crew saving the Dutch” 

xenophobia is the hatred of another nation. I don't see how saving lives of starving Dutch people equates to hating them. 

Re your post it said “Nope. I didn’t know that, do you have evidence” 

Re BBC Brexit bashing for 5 years. You have to be kidding me. You would have been forgiven thinking Nigel Farage was a BBC correspondent the number of times he and his pals were on the BBC spouting all their sh!te about Europe and how Brexit was going to be the solution to that. 

The simple fact is the truth hurts, and plenty of people have hands over their eyes or fingers in their ears mumbling “nah nah na nah na” as they don’t want to face the consequences of their actions - consequences that were plain to see and were pointed out would happen by those opposed to this self-destructive Brexit policy. 

• Like 1

I have spent a lot of time in the Netherlands, and the Dutch are among my favourite Europeans. 
They never forget what was done for them during the Second World War, and we should never forget what they did for us during the plague. 

59 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Trade without friction equates to dispersal of the virus without friction, and is why Italy and Belgium are virtually top of the league of death and other EU countries will follow, while we will be pretty much virus free by the end of the year. 

Good luck to your failing market.

Buffoon! Our figures concerning the virus have been disastrous, FACT! (and we had the advantage of being an island). Dispersal of the virus had nothing to do with belonging to the SM, each country has the right to control its own covid strategy re borders so you're lying as usual. You pump out pathetic xenophobic lies like a broken sewer pipe spouts sh*it. And do explain why we were so desperate to gain access to a "failing" market, that we accepted such appalling terms. Your economic illiteracy is frankly astounding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

When this Country decided to join The Single Market it was a different place, just trade unfortunately it's morphed into something far worse ! First chance this Country had to leave, it did.  Smarter than you lot ! 

No - the SM was always Thatchers SM - just the way we liked it to suit GB - services and FoM too.

8 minutes ago, dj11 said:

I have spent a lot of time in the Netherlands, and the Dutch are among my favourite Europeans. 
They never forget what was done for them during the Second World War, and we should never forget what they did for us during the plague. 

Absolutely! And their schoolchildren adopt and visit the graves of British war dead as a part of their education. 

I wonder how long it will take for our fleets and licences to be sold off to "bloody foreigners" because UK fisherman won't be able to make the business pay under the disastrous terms of Brexit? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/scotland-fish-prices-brexit-delays-b1786095.html

Scottish fish prices ‘collapsing’ by as much as 80% due to Brexit bureaucracy, industry warns

Exporters are struggling to get their produce across the EU border in time due to additional safety checks and administration

9 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I wonder how long it will take for our fleets and licences to be sold off to "bloody foreigners" because UK fisherman won't be able to make the business pay under the disastrous terms of Brexit? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/scotland-fish-prices-brexit-delays-b1786095.html

Scottish fish prices ‘collapsing’ by as much as 80% due to Brexit bureaucracy, industry warns

Exporters are struggling to get their produce across the EU border in time due to additional safety checks and administration

Sadly - I kept saying I'd believe Brexit when there was a boat scrappage scheme included.

Some people thought I was joking !

Edited by Yellow Fever

Sounds like it’s time for mandatory “fish every day” diets for our school kids then ... oh wait that would probably cost more than 25pence per serving and need cooking, so never mind.

Edited by Surfer

Note to self - Please ignore RTB, PM and SC. At least Jools' seems have the nous to know when to hide away in embarrassment. They are just not worth it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

No - the SM was always Thatchers SM - just the way we liked it to suit GB - services and FoM too.

WERE WE ASKED ?

16 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Sadly - I kept saying I'd believe Breit when there was a boat scrappage scheme included.

Some people thought I was joking !

History repeating itself. As Shrimper pointed out a while back the UK government failed to support fishermen in the early days when they refused to provide the financial support that other EU countries provided to their fishermen. That was the beginning of the decline for our fishing industry as many were forced to sell off their boats and licenses. Indeed I think I remember Shrimper saying he was one of those (hopefully he'll put me right on this if I'm mis-remembering). That is why there are foreign trawlers in "our" waters; they bought "our" boats and bought "our" licenses. Now it looks like the second big sell-out of the UK fishing industry in the form of Brexit is finally going to sink it. Well done Brexiteers!

Edited by horsefly

5 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I (used) to travel the world. Not bringing in food and drink is common practice around the world - Japan, Oz, USA, Canada etc - chocolate excepted. Very strange as a 'third' country outside phytosanitary borders why some would expect anything different. Pure naivety.

Its why on-line garden centres can (or won't) no longer ship to NI and EU by example - and vice versa (that may be Herman's speciality)

I landed at Brisbane Airport one time and this sniffer dog made a beeline for one of my bags and nosed around, waggng its tail excitedly. 'You have some fruit in there' the handler said. Me: 'No, I don't.' Reply said with deep certainty: 'My dog is never wrong.'

So I opened the bag and took everything out and the dog homed in on a Sainsbury's plastic bag which contained...drum roll...a pair of plimsolls, and no fruit. But obviously had done on its first trip back from Sainsbury's some time earlier and on another continent. So the dog was not entirely wrong. You cannot even take fruit across the state line in Oz.

of course I voted for Thatcher, Labour were saying no increase to forces wages, whilst Maggie said 15% to the forces . it was the Forces that put her into power !

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

All true. Which begs the question, why does our national broadcaster consider this to be a newsworthy event framed in terms of Brexit bashing with the intention of giving Remainers a hard-on?

This story has been in lots of British media. Including The Telegraph, which I don't think was remain leaning 

8 hours ago, paul moy said:

No worries.   We must protect our borders too !!

I must add though that all  EU goods are now off my shopping list 😎

You will be declining the vaccine then ?.

Lots of Pfizer being used, you might find that’s German being manufactured in Belgium and the 1st one dose vaccine will likely be Italian or an Oxford / Russian combination
There are limited amounts of AstraZeneca coming from the U.K. as at present even most of that is shipped from the Netherlands currently.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dj11 said:

I have been a regular visitor too and have a lot of time for them. I was there just as they began the first lockdown.

They did things a little differently to us IIRC, firstly they completely closed all cafes and restaurants but then quickly went back on that and allowed them to operate as takeaways. They also kept kids playgrounds open and pretty actively encouraged them to be used.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll go back soon, I love my bitterballen and cold beer  🙂

On 11/12/2020 at 15:35, Jools said:

Cutting food miles by redirecting farm subsidies to promote UK food production is just one of the benefits of leaving without a deal.

We can also raise animal welfare standards, starting by removing ...................

.......................regulation that stops using pesticide that kills bees