Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

15 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Seems our Brexshi*teers are not too happy with the Dutch protecting their borders completely in accordance with the rules of the  FTA that Boris and the ERG told us was a fantastic deal. Time for them to stop moaning about this "wonderful" deal methinks.

No worries.   We must protect our borders too !!

I must add though that all  EU goods are now off my shopping list 😎

Edited by paul moy

1 minute ago, paul moy said:

One thing to say....... Buy British !!  😎

Who stopped you doing that when we were in the EU?

2 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Tell that to the Northern Irish

• Like 1

Thanks to listening to idiots like Patrick Minford our economy is so lopsided that it is very hard to buy British. 

27 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Oh look! hauliers spending thousands sending lorries to NI. Just the slight problem that they are empty because of the Brexit deal. Good luck buying British my NI friends.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/food-shortages-northern-ireland-brexit-6897882

37 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I must add though that all  EU goods are now off my shopping list 😎

Splendid! At least you will find out what it's like to be a cold and hungry child in Brexit Tory Britain. No EU energy, no EU vegetables, no EU car parts etc etc. Have fun!

Edited by horsefly

7 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Wrong again. Germany were in secret discussions with Pfizer and got their wrists slapped by the EU for being bad Europeans. But we all know that Germany can throw its weight around and get away with it. It must hurt you that the UK were the first country to roll out the covid vaccine. 

Never mind. You were factually out by a factor of 10 and plainly wrong in your desperation to be anti EU (before anything else) when there was no fault to be found. If you read any of the balanced links (not rabid echo chambers for the stupid) you might discover the truth (German and indeed other EU countries are indeed ordering extra Pfizer jabs  - from unused / unallocated / not required orders from elsewhere. It not an EU issue at all and it doesn't affect the EU order. Nobody is stealing the Pfizer vaccine from others.

Why don't you try to defend the real problems the fishermen, hauliers and so on are now having with Brexit. Real issues not make believe ones or does than not fit your dodgy agenda?

Here's a balanced view of the position. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-buys-extra-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-from-eu-countries/ 

Edited by Yellow Fever

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/brexit-deal-tariffs-trade-eu-uk-subsidies-competition-073615721.html

The European Union (EU) can immediately impose tariffs if it believes UK government handouts give British firms an unfair advantage under the Brexit trade deal, according to an expert.

The full implications are only gradually becoming clear of the 1,246-page deal, agreed and published only in late December and described as “fiendishly complex” by experts.

Members of Parliament (MPs) heard evidence from legal, financial and logistics industry figures about its impact at a virtual hearing on Monday.

Prime minister Boris Johnson had said after striking the deal there will be “independent third party arbitration” if either side felt it was being “unfairly undercut” by the other.

The deal includes such dispute mechanisms, but one witness made clear Brussels or the UK would not always have to wait for arbitration to be completed before striking back over certain issues. Retaliation could include EU states slapping certain extra taxes on products imported from Britain, hitting UK exporters, or vice versa.

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Tbh it makes the Dutch look extremely petty. Doesn't show the EU in a good light at all. 

Many countries have rules like these. I think meat and dairy sandwiches are  prohibited from being brought in to the UK (though I think meat and dairy can be imported for personal use as long as not in a sandwich)

New Zealand wouldn't let the dirt on my walking boots into their country, and rightly so 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Many countries have rules like these. I think meat and dairy sandwiches are  prohibited from being brought in to the UK (though I think meat and dairy can be imported for personal use as long as not in a sandwich)

New Zealand wouldn't let the dirt on my walking boots into their country, and rightly so 

I (used) to travel the world. Not bringing in food and drink is common practice around the world - Japan, Oz, USA, Canada etc - chocolate excepted. Very strange as a 'third' country outside phytosanitary borders why some would expect anything different. Pure naivety.

Its why on-line garden centres can (or won't) no longer ship to NI and EU by example - and vice versa (that may be Herman's speciality)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Open border means double standards and hypocrisy but not surprising though as they have all behaved this way even when we were a member ....... Hauliers pass through all of these countries from all the countries in the EU and no checks are done.  Therefore there really  is no protection and so this is only to get back at us for having the audacity to leave their failing club. It shows them up for what they are and it does not look good sadly.   We need to behave the same way as that is the only thing these ignorant people will understand.

28 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I (used) to travel the world. Not bringing in food and drink is common practice around the world - Japan, Oz, USA, Canada etc - chocolate excepted. Very strange as a 'third' country outside phytosanitary borders why some would expect anything different. Pure naivety.

Its why on-line garden centres can (or won't) no longer ship to NI and EU by example - and vice versa (that may be Herman's speciality)

Agreed, but when there is open borders these protections are useless, so that is yet another reason NOT to have open borders, and is yet another reason why we were correct in deciding to LEAVE.    😎

3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Agreed, but when there is open borders these protections are useless, so that is yet another reason NOT to have open borders, and is yet another reason why we were correct in deciding to LEAVE.    😎

But as per your own argument we should then have such borders between counties or indeed devolved internal regions!

No  - within one agreed enforceable set of rules, regulations, standards and indeed market (as in single market) you can dispense with such things unless there is known disease outbreak (c.f. Foot & Mouth, bird flu and so on). 

As we are now outside such a market yes we now have all the phytosanitary checks. Sad day for fishermen, farmers, plant growers - and even hauliers with ham sandwiches. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Christ! you're thick.  The clue is in the title "SINGLE MARKET", just try thinking what the means before spouting this absurdly false and childish guff.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

But as per your own argument we should then have such borders between counties or indeed devolved internal regions!

No  - within one agreed enforceable set of rules, regulations, standards and indeed market (as in single market) you can dispense with such things unless there is known disease outbreak (c.f. Foot & Mouth, bird flu and so on). 

As we are now outside such a market yes we now have all the phytosanitary checks. Sad day for fishermen, farmers, plant growers - and even hauliers with ham sandwiches. 

Nope..... glad to be out of the failing protectionist club where some are more equal than others, namely Germany and France.  😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Christ! you're thick.  The clue is in the title "SINGLE MARKET", just try thinking what the means before spouting this absurdly false and childish guff.

Open borders, lack of vaccine and the failing single market is why the virus is going to kill so many in the EU and all they can worry about is haulier's ham sandwiches.  Our borders are now mostly closed although belatedly and ironically thanks to the EU's bitterness , which should now work to our benefit.

2 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Open borders, lack of vaccine and the failing single market is why the virus is going to kill so many in the EU and all they can worry about is haulier's ham sandwiches.  

Yep! only someone truly thick could produce such a retarded statement.

Open borders within the SM means trade without friction. 

It does not lack vaccines.

The Single Market is not failing. You might personally wish it was but it's not you fool. And only a fool would want our main market for exports to fail. Why do you think the UK government accepted such a crap deal in order to gain access to the SM idiot?

Think you will find that the EU is not that worried about sandwiches. Simply applying the regulations that the UK government signed up to. 

FFS grow up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Moy's not very keen on this sovereignity business, is he?

Me and 17 million others at least, loser....... 😎

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

They're not closed you xenophobic cretin. 

They are significantly because flights to most of the world are banned. That will work in our favour.

27 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Yep! only someone truly thick could produce such a retarded statement.

Open borders within the SM means trade without friction. 

It does not lack vaccines.

The Single Market is not failing. You might personally wish it was but it's not you fool. And only a fool would want our main market for exports to fail. Why do you think the UK government accepted such a crap deal in order to gain access to the SM idiot?

Think you will find that the EU is not that worried about sandwiches. Simply applying the regulations that the UK government signed up to. 

FFS grow up!

Trade without friction equates to dispersal of the virus without friction, and is why Italy and Belgium are virtually top of the league of death and other EU countries will follow, while we will be pretty much virus free by the end of the year. 

Good luck to your failing market.

When this Country decided to join The Single Market it was a different place, just trade unfortunately it's morphed into something far worse ! First chance this Country had to leave, it did.  Smarter than you lot ! 

6 hours ago, dj11 said:

It’s how it was before we joined the Common Market, don’t you remember?

We couldn't take a ham sandwich to Netherlands before joining the Common Market? Nope. I didn't know that. Do you have the source for that information. 

I do know that in 1944 the Dutch people were literally being starved by the Germans and we Brits made food drops to save them. We lost a number of pilots and crew saving the Dutch. 

8 hours ago, Herman said:

Unlike sending gunboats to the channel. A really great display of grown up politicians.🤨😀

I'm actually pleased to see us using gunboats to protect our sovereignty. Shows a bit of steel in the spine. 

I'm not sure if a ham sandwich affects Dutch sovereignty in the same way, but they are slightly weird people so it is possible.