Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

To save you having to click on it, everything is the fault of Macron and the French at the moment.😀

2 hours ago, paul moy said:

Quelle Surprise !!   Macron deliberately delays our freight. 

Time to check every French boat in our waters methinks to ensure that they are sticking to our regulations on fishing as I am pretty sure they are not,  as well as checking every lorry coming in from France, especially the French ones.   If they want to behave like children then we have to respond in kind. 

All very predictable..........

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1381661/Brexit-news-france-border-eu-latest-UK-trade-dover-trade-emmanuel-macron

Ahhh!

I remember the olden days when posts like this were "project fear"

🤗

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Ahhh!

I remember the olden days when posts like this were "project fear"

🤗

poor moy, his sad need for attention gets more desperate by the hour

perhaps he should stand down and let Jools or RTB have a go 🤪

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The Express reporting what someone says on Talk Radio is not reliable news.

More ill-informed nonsense from Paul Moy.

Founder member of UKIP at that

22 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Your choice of 2016 as a starting point is twisting the statistics somewhat. Here are the statistics for total Inward FDI from 2010:

2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
37,666 26,339 35,099 33,054 14,993 25,309 191,952 74,884 65,860 35,598

A  better interpretation would be that the referendum caused an almost 400% increase in FDI when UK voted to leave the EU. That amazing performance maintained traction for three years and by 2019 FDI had returned to normal levels.

I fully expect 2021 will see amazingly good FDI numbers now that Brexit has actually happened. I fully expect you'll continue with your fake news trolling.

Data: ons.gov.uk

Falling every year since the referendum, a trend that with Brexit we can consider will have continued in 2020 and will do in future. It is worth noting that your figures begin in the period of the banking crash so in effect you are saying the result of the referendum returned the UK to FDI last seen in the aftermath of the crash. Good work RTB another own goal.

image.png.778b7da529d6c041d40ee95d71c84cc1.png

The value of net FDI flows into the UK was £35.6 billion in 2019, the third successive year inward investment in the UK has fallen.

Meanwhile, just temporary disruption I am sure, we'll rebound with even more and easier trade in a few months. 

Besides, I never did like bees anyway. Nasty things. Almost as bad as wasps, but at least they die if they sting you though.

NYT.jpg

CHem.jpg

Fish.jpg

Bees.jpg

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

All this just to appease the anti-immigration mob. A petty minded hindrance to thousands of people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-visa-free-work-musicians-eu-brexit-b1784600.html

Indeed

The arts that they were supposed to be protecting. I am beginning to see a lot of this had nothing to do with what would be best, as Moy has pointed out it’s some certain factions hatred of Europeans and the French in particular.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigFish said:

Falling every year since the referendum, a trend that with Brexit we can consider will have continued in 2020 and will do in future. It is worth noting that your figures begin in the period of the banking crash so in effect you are saying the result of the referendum returned the UK to FDI last seen in the aftermath of the crash. Good work RTB another own goal.

image.png.778b7da529d6c041d40ee95d71c84cc1.png

The value of net FDI flows into the UK was £35.6 billion in 2019, the third successive year inward investment in the UK has fallen.

We can cherry pick a starting date and represent anything. Your choosing 2015 is a bit silly because it shows inward FDI almost 400% higher in the year of the referendum compare to the previous year, and significantly higher every year since the referendum. So the conclusion is stonking clear than foreign business has been extremely comfortable to invest in the UK since the referendum. I thank you for providing the evidence in your infographic.

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Meanwhile, just temporary disruption I am sure, we'll rebound with even more and easier trade in a few months. 

Besides, I never did like bees anyway. Nasty things. Almost as bad as wasps, but at least they die if they sting you though.

NYT.jpg

CHem.jpg

Fish.jpg

Bees.jpg

You're probably not familiar with the bee situation, but I'm always ready to help. British farmers have asked the government to stay the banning of this pesticide because a beetle infestation is wiping out the British sugar beet crop - one of Norfolk's main agricultural crop, by-the-way. So faced with the loss of farmer's sugar beet harvest, which would cause severe economic damage to British farmers - particularly Norfolk farmers, the government has decided to suspend the banning of this particular insecticide for one year. A sensible decision and one that has the farmer's backing.

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

You're probably not familiar with the bee situation, but I'm always ready to help. British farmers have asked the government to stay the banning of this pesticide because a beetle infestation is wiping out the British sugar beet crop - one of Norfolk's main agricultural crop, by-the-way. So faced with the loss of farmer's sugar beet harvest, which would cause severe economic damage to British farmers - particularly Norfolk farmers, the government has decided to suspend the banning of this particular insecticide for one year. A sensible decision and one that has the farmer's backing.

Seems like growing and harvesting less sugar beet would actually be a good idea.

https://feedbackglobal.org/the-dark-truth-about-sugar-beet/

33 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Seems like growing and harvesting less sugar beet would actually be a good idea.

https://feedbackglobal.org/the-dark-truth-about-sugar-beet/

Exactly! I take it that Michael Gove now believes he was wrong when he said: "The weight of evidence now shows the risks neonicotinoids pose to our environment, particularly to the bees and other pollinators which play such a key part in our £100bn food industry, is greater than previously understood … We cannot afford to put our pollinator populations at risk." https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/09/pesticide-believed-kill-bees-authorised-use-england-eu-farmers?fbclid=IwAR2JmpSQjaAA0UN3evgHRlxv9zEmYFE8kgnof_lLOWKN-p0bfLojQOfF248

But I suppose protecting the sugar industry is far more important. I mean it's not as if it's a major contributor to the development of an obesity and diabetes crisis costing the NHS £billions  .... is it?

7 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

One of the things I have followed from the beginning is the links between brexit and big sugar and not the Norfolk growing side of big sugar. One of the only beneficiaries so far has been cane sugar, which Tate and Lyle, now a US company, had struggled to sell in quantity, because of the EU. Your mates Andy Wigmore and Michael Ashcroft, both now Belizean, have links. David Davis worked for T&L. The conservative party conference was sponsored by them.

The galling thing is that I have warned of the risk to Norfolk farmers from brexit and now he is using them to back brexit.

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2020/08/08/brexit-sugar-cane-tate-lyle-sweetheart-conservative/

https://thepinprickcom.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/daydream-belizers-brexit-big-sugar-and-the-strange-case-of-andy-wigmore/

As an aside, working in a similar industry I know full well that the banning of certain chemicals has been a pain in the backside. Some bugs have been a nightmare to get rid of. Added to climate change there are plant killers that are thriving but I'd rather we changed our habits, grow or stop growing varieties that are more/less resilient than bring back toxic chemicals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

A sensible decision and one that has the farmer's backing

Only if you are a sugar beet farmer!! Albeit one that only cares for short term profit , not giving a shoite about the environment  that provides them with their  income. After all who 'needs' Bees.....the world does you short sighted money grabbing feckwhits. There will be other solutions to the Beetle problem , that avoid the ' collateral damage ' of the Bee population, but hey , what a great way to keep a few people onside with Project Isolation.

The European  moniker for Brits    ....' island monkeys' has never been more apt. When the going gets rough for troops of monkeys/ apes etc, guess what ensues....internal squabbling, power struggles, violence and cannibalism.  This could get interesting. 

2 hours ago, Herman said:

One of the things I have followed from the beginning is the links between brexit and big sugar and not the Norfolk growing side of big sugar. One of the only beneficiaries so far has been cane sugar, which Tate and Lyle, now a US company, had struggled to sell in quantity, because of the EU. Your mates Andy Wigmore and Michael Ashcroft, both now Belizean, have links. David Davis worked for T&L. The conservative party conference was sponsored by them.

The galling thing is that I have warned of the risk to Norfolk farmers from brexit and now he is using them to back brexit.

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2020/08/08/brexit-sugar-cane-tate-lyle-sweetheart-conservative/

https://thepinprickcom.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/daydream-belizers-brexit-big-sugar-and-the-strange-case-of-andy-wigmore/

As an aside, working in a similar industry I know full well that the banning of certain chemicals has been a pain in the backside. Some bugs have been a nightmare to get rid of. Added to climate change there are plant killers that are thriving but I'd rather we changed our habits, grow or stop growing varieties that are more/less resilient than bring back toxic chemicals.

Barry Glendenning

Replying to
You're aware, no doubt, that Paul Kenward, the chief of British Sugar, is the husband of Tory MP Victoria Atkins

Starmer taking a very realistic approach to Brexit this morning, make the deal work, no contemplation of any move back towards EU by “next Labour Government “  Lets see what happens but I like what he says atm and could well be tempted back to the fold. Massive social injustice agenda hugely heightened by Covid should be their main thrust and I would be well on board for that.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Clucking bell, he is as well. And a big fan of GM too. 🤬

I think we are straying into the territory of where bears defecate, Herman (though not literally 😀)

The whole rotten bunch are as corrupt as fck, and nothing should be a surprise any more

29 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Starmer taking a very realistic approach to Brexit this morning, make the deal work, no contemplation of any move back towards EU by “next Labour Government “  Lets see what happens but I like what he says atm and could well be tempted back to the fold. Massive social injustice agenda hugely heightened by Covid should be their main thrust and I would be well on board for that.

He doesn't need to reenter the Brexit debate now - the next election is not for 3 or 4 years away and by then Brexit gooses will have landed and public mood will have shifted further (plus demographic changes hurried along by Covid). Even so it will just the start of a conversation of what to do.

He will be able to ride two horses then if he wishes although I've always said 3 to 4 years for the conversation to restart and about 10 years for England to re-engage with the 21st century.

All this nonsense of 'once in a generation' is pure nonsense by the die-hard fantasists - same as in Scotland - if it looks like 60:40 plus it will be reopened.

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

He doesn't need to reenter the Brexit debate now - the next election is not for 3 or 4 years away and by then Brexit gooses will have landed and public mood will have shifted further (plus demographic changes hurried along by Covid). Even so it will just the start of a conversation of what to do.

He will be able to ride two horses then if he wishes although I've always said 3 to 4 years for the conversation to restart and about 10 years for England to re-engage with the 21st century.

All this nonsense of 'once in a generation' is pure nonsense by the die-hard fantasists - same as in Scotland - if it looks like 60:40 plus it will be reopened.

As I said, let’s see what happens. I suspect there will be so many other issues to deal with in four years time nobody would go near the politically toxic broth of Brexit.

Edited by Van wink

42 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I haven't seen the precise wording  of the quote but unless there has been in the meantime a serious and successful move by the current government to make the trade deal much more comprehensive then I would expect a Starmer-led government to open talks with the EU to do just that. And that would in effect be a move back towards the EU.

This would probably be carried out in stages, with the final aim not necesarily full EU membership, but the level just below that. After all it was Farage and other prominent Leavers who extolled the virtue of Norway's very close relationship with the EU...🤓

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

As I said, let’s see what happens. I suspect there will be so many other issues to deal with in four years time nobody would go near the politically toxic broth of Brexit.

That's what I'm saying - The issue will resolve itself now and the answer will be obvious. No need to stir the pot now.  

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Given how it is already going, it is only COVID that is distracting from the complete shtfest it has already become.

There i nothing to be gained or any need either to engage with Brexit - as when you have Give warning of the certain problems that lie ahead you know that they will be far worse than he is trying to prepare folk for

As said, the sht has yet to hit the fan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

Given how it is already going, it is only COVID that is distracting from the complete shtfest it has already become.

There i nothing to be gained or any need either to engage with Brexit - as when you have Give warning of the certain problems that lie ahead you know that they will be far worse than he is trying to prepare folk for

As said, the sht has yet to hit the fan

I rather suspect history will think of Farage as more modern but successful/damaging version of Moseley.

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

it seemed out of line with the majority of the Labour party. I listened to it on Andrew Marr show. 

Edited by SwindonCanary

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I haven't seen the precise wording  of the quote but unless there has been in the meantime a serious and successful move by the current government to make the trade deal much more comprehensive then I would expect a Starmer-led government to open talks with the EU to do just that. And that would in effect be a move back towards the EU.

This would probably be carried out in stages, with the final aim not necesarily full EU membership, but the level just below that. After all it was Farage and other prominent Leavers who extolled the virtue of Norway's very close relationship with the EU...🤓

The two tier EU, that would suit me fine and may well find broader appeal. Possibly more of an osmosis than an explicit political objective, we will have to see how the next few years play out.

Edited by Van wink