Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

19 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Brexit tech boom as UK attracts $15bn investment in 2020

7 January 2021 

In its first year after formally leaving the European Union, the UK attracted more venture capital funding than the rest of Europe combined.

The new figures, drawn from Dealroom research, show a record $15bn investment in British tech firms creating seven new “unicorns” worth more than a billion a piece.

The firms deal in a diverse range of businesses including e-commerce, cloud communications, and green energy.

This figure outweighs the investment seen across the rest of the continent combined, and leaves Britain with more unicorn firms than Germany, the Netherlands, and France put together.

This is of course a fairly meaningless post. Venture, or vulture, capitalism is a particular form of Anglo-Saxon funding that more successful economies like Germany, France & Netherlands don't need because of their banking models of long term investment. For example the French technology company Atos has made an offer of $10 billion for the US company DXC but that wouldn't count in these figures because they are using their own cash rather than VCs.

I wouldn't mind betting that none of these "unicorns" ever turn a profit or amount to anything.

Edited by BigFish

I see Billy liar is still trying hard to bring down any Brexit good news but it will not happen because it's going to keep arriving   👍

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

I see Billy liar is still trying hard to bring down any Brexit good news but it will not happen because it's going to keep arriving   👍

Tell that to the fisherman, the Northern Irish etc

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

lying yet again - if they are EU laws then how come they apply, if the UK is supposedly an 'independent' country

That's why he's asking which laws need changing. If you remember we were once in the EU and maintained many of their laws but now we can change them ! 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-us-riot-b1783682.html

Brexit news - live: Lorry drivers fined £32,000 in a week in Kent as UK retailers stop shipping to EU

British Retail Consortium warning at least 50 of its members, all large brands, may face new tariffs on items re-exported to the bloc. Meanwhile, continental customers of other brands have reported being hit with additional post-Brexit charges.

57 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Especially workers rights

Everyone's favourite Dan Hannan.

Safeguards for the use of data, pay and conditions, GM foods, hedge funds, dangerous chemicals and the disposal of environmentally-damaging vehicles should all be binned, Daniel Hannan said.

Edited by Herman

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

Safeguards for the use of data, pay and conditions, GM foods, hedge funds, dangerous chemicals and the disposal of environmentally-damaging vehicles should all be binned, Daniel Hannan said.

you can't expect much from a career fascist, I just hope that he never will have children, otherwise I would add 'totally stupid' to what I said about him.

The idiot who wanted the US to run the NHS. 

Sorry, it should have said ruin the NHS.

Hannan will be one of the first up against the wall. And he can dig his own pit.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

whereas

"The $15bn total compares with the previous record of $14.8bn in 2019."

perhaps hand crank or mouse brain could explain why the increase in 2020 was almost negligible

Pretty fkn amazing since 2020 was a time of Covid and you Remainer tw*ts said business would flee the UK to the EU. The reality of post-Brexit Britain is that we attracted more high-tech investment into the UK than the rest of the EU put together. Something you denied would happen. 

Wrong again loser.

3 hours ago, BigFish said:

This is of course a fairly meaningless post. Venture, or vulture, capitalism is a particular form of Anglo-Saxon funding that more successful economies like Germany, France & Netherlands don't need because of their banking models of long term investment. For example the French technology company Atos has made an offer of $10 billion for the US company DXC but that wouldn't count in these figures because they are using their own cash rather than VCs.

I wouldn't mind betting that none of these "unicorns" ever turn a profit or amount to anything.

It's quite fortunate that the country doesn't have to rely on your economic expertise, isn't it? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Herman said:

Interesting, if somewhat depressing, thread.

This from The Times as well.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-businesses-that-trade-with-the-eu-must-play-it-by-their-rules-7505wrdnr

Safeguards for the use of data, pay and conditions, GM foods, hedge funds, dangerous chemicals and the disposal of environmentally-damaging vehicles should all be binned, Daniel Hannan said.

Indeed! very depressing Herman but, of course, exactly what many of us "remoaners" have pointed out for years would be inevitable. You don't even need a GCSE in economics to work out that any significant trade between two different market systems inevitably requires the friction of checks and red-tape. Jesus! it was the negation of that friction that was an important driver of the creation of a single market in the first place.

Hannan is nothing more than a useful idiot. What he has done is highlight very clearly that the only way the government can achieve some sort of "advantage" from brexit is by undercutting workers/consumers/environmental standards. But of course the brexit deal we have signed guarantees that the EU would respond by levying punitive tariffs on UK goods. So good luck to the actual traders trying to survive this sh*tfest that's been dumped upon them.

But let's not be negative. As Brexiteers have constantly pointed out we have regained our "national sovereignty" (wiping a tear from my eye as I utter those two words). And as we all know this is a great gain for each individual of the UK whose life will be personally improved by so many things, such as, ...er!.....um!....er!....can't quite think of anything right now, answers on a postcard please.

Please, please pick me Sir!

We can all sing “Rule Britannia” at Christmas. 

Am I right? I am aren’t I. I knew that I was. 

Three years after haggling in the British Parliament, upheavals at the top of the government, and blaming Brussels to delay its exit, Britain concludes the chapter on approximately half a century of close ties with Europe at 11 p.m. Greenwich Mean Time, Jan. 31, 2020. Visit for more information about the topic to Brexit and Goods Vehicle Movement Service  https://theangeltrust.com/impacts-of-brexit-on-trusts-and-tax-policies/

Edited by johnyener

UK dodged a bullet with Brexit by being able to place its own vaccine orders and will cover its own population this year, whereas the EU has failed miserably by centralising orders and underordering and will not be able to match the UK.   Thankyou Boris for exceptional planning and for getting Brexit done !!  😎:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/13812 83/coronavirus-vaccine-news-eu-covid-rollout-boris-johnson-angela-merkel-brexit-ukip-ont

Edited by paul moy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Safeguards for the use of data, pay and conditions, GM foods, hedge funds, dangerous chemicals and the disposal of environmentally-damaging vehicles should all be binned, Daniel Hannan said.

Indeed! very depressing Herman but, of course, exactly what many of us "remoaners" have pointed out for years would be inevitable. You don't even need a GCSE in economics to work out that any significant trade between two different market systems inevitably requires the friction of checks and red-tape. Jesus! it was the negation of that friction that was an important driver of the creation of a single market in the first place.

Hannan is nothing more than a useful idiot. What he has done is highlight very clearly that the only way the government can achieve some sort of "advantage" from brexit is by undercutting workers/consumers/environmental standards. But of course the brexit deal we have signed guarantees that the EU would respond by levying punitive tariffs on UK goods. So good luck to the actual traders trying to survive this sh*tfest that's been dumped upon them.

But let's not be negative. As Brexiteers have constantly pointed out we have regained our "national sovereignty" (wiping a tear from my eye as I utter those two words). And as we all know this is a great gain for each individual of the UK whose life will be personally improved by so many things, such as, ...er!.....um!....er!....can't quite think of anything right now, answers on a postcard please.

SHORT TERM PAIN, LONG TERM GAIN !!!!!!   😎

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigFish said:

Desperate or what ? 😂    The fact is that investment in the UK is at a massive high and will only increase thanks to  our newly growing dynamic economy after COVID, free of protectionist EU rules.  ATOS are investing OUTSIDE of the EU whereas the article is about INWARD investment in the UK.    See the difference ?    🤣

In other words, there will be no tangible benefits for the people that voted for brexit. 

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

But of course the brexit deal we have signed guarantees that the EU would respond by levying punitive tariffs on UK goods.

Not strictly accurate, as that seems to place te onus on the EU whereas it was the UK wanting to be out side of the Single Market that ensured it would face similar restrictions as non Single Market countries. Whether these turn out to be punitive, or not, it is of the UK's choosing.

meanwhile

'Meanwhile, hauliers have warned they are being “overwhelmed” by red tape due to new checks on deliveries to Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK.'

"It comes as Debenhams announced it was suspending online sales to Ireland due to “uncertainty” about the new rules, which mean some products are now subject to tariffs, and other major retailers were reported to be considering similar steps."

'In a statement, parcel courier DPD UK said it was pausing its road delivery services into Europe, including Ireland, until at least Wednesday. The EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement resulted in more complex processes, and additional customs data requirements for parcels destined for Europe. This, along with delays and congestion at UK ports for Channel crossings, has placed extra pressure on our turnaround and transit times.'

Scottish seafood exporters hit by ‘perfect storm’ of bureaucracy, IT problems and confusion. Donna Fordyce, chief executive at Seafood Scotland, said exporters had been hit by a "perfect storm" of bureaucracy, IT problems and confusion.  She said: "The last 48 hours has really delivered what was expected - new bureaucratic non-tariff barriers, and no one body with the tools to be able to fix the situation.

This when movement of goods is still at a post holiday low

nb quote from Horsefly, not Herman

Edited by Bill

25 minutes ago, Bill said:

Not strictly accurate, as that seems to place te onus on the EU whereas it was the UK wanting to be out side of the Single Market that ensured it would face similar restrictions as non Single Market countries. Whether these turn out to be punitive, or not, it is of the UK's choosing.

Sorry Bill I just don't get your point here. That it was the UK that decided to withdraw from the EU and single market is indisputable, but my claim has nothing at all to do with that. I was making the simple point that the agreement we have subsequently signed up to has given the right to the EU to levy (punitive) tariffs if we should undermine standards that apply to the rest of the single market. As such I was simply intimating the stupidity of a strategy like that proposed by Hannan, as any gain we might potentially make in undercutting the EU by lowering standards would surely invite the imposition of tariffs to negate any such advantage. That doesn't seem in any way an inaccurate claim.

• Haha 1

Would these tariffs be any higher than those already charged to non Singe Market countries, if not then the UK is merely imposing them on itself, so to speak

Which would then not be a case of the EU punishing the UK, but the UK punishing itself.

16 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Sorry Bill I just don't get your point here. That it was the UK that decided to withdraw from the EU and single market is indisputable, but my claim has nothing at all to do with that. I was making the simple point that the agreement we have subsequently signed up to has given the right to the EU to levy (punitive) tariffs if we should undermine standards that apply to the rest of the single market. As such I was simply intimating the stupidity of a strategy like that proposed by Hannan, as any gain we might potentially make in undercutting the EU by lowering standards would surely invite the imposition of tariffs to negate any such advantage. That doesn't seem in any way an inaccurate claim.

Punitive tariffs can only be applied if agreed after arbitration in an independent court, and it works both ways, but now we have left the EU we will probably increase our standards and one of the first may well be to ban exports of live animals.  

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

Would these tariffs be any higher than those already charged to non Singe Market countries, if not then the UK is merely imposing them on itself, so to speak

Which would then not be a case of the EU punishing the UK, but the UK punishing itself.

It works both ways.

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Fair enough! No doubt we'll soon find out if the tariffs are in any sense punitive if the UK is stupid enough to try the path of lowering standards. The real point is that the deal we have signed up to gives the EU this option. Whether one wants to describe this possibility as de facto self-imposed or EU imposed seems more of a semantic point than a sunstantive one. Either way I'm sure we agree that the idea that the UK might gain an advantage over the EU by lowering standards should be seen as a non-starter.

8 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Punitive tariffs can only be applied if agreed after arbitration in an independent court, and it works both ways, but now we have left the EU we will probably increase our standards and one of the first may well be to ban exports of live animals.  

But that was not Hannan's point. He wants a lowering of standards. Happy days if we ban live animal exports (more to do with Carrie than Boris I suspect)

it is not one of semantics

but goes to the core if brexit, that being the idea that the UK could enjoy the benefits of the Single Market without adhering to the rules

leaving means the loss of favourable terms, as will divergence

this is not some 'clause' in the deal. but a known fact from before the referendum

ie if I failed to turn up to a booking I lose the fee

For every plus Moy puts up, we can put up a minus. Just **** for tat really.

But the salient point for me is that he acknowledged there will be pain. I just want to remind him that in the past, it has been us bottom feeders that have endured the pain.

Every pound that is wiped off the stock market is to someone elses advantage. And the FTSE, which he is so fond of, has very little to do with the UK. 

He prattles on about immigrants taking money out of this country yet is quite happy for investors to do the same thing.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

For every plus Moy puts up, we can put up a minus. Just **** for tat really.

"France successfully kept the audio visual sector out of the deal in a major blow to the UK, which is home to around 1,400 broadcasters, about 30% of all channels in the EU.

Britain’s thriving TV and video-on-demand service providers will no longer be able to offer pan European services to European viewers unless they relocate part of their business to an EU member state."

ie more jobs losses, and less revenue for the Exchequer