Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

A Sky News reporter sounding disappointed  that there are no queues at Calais.😥

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

They will probably hire a load of trucks to make news.

Hilarious! The ERG and their chums (Farage et al) spent years sabotaging May's attempts at getting a deal, and then find themselves having to support Boris' inferior effort (whilst throwing around caveats like a spoiled child litters the countryside in order to cover their ars*es when it all goes to sh*it). Then along comes Moy with his North Korean communist attempt to rewrite history. Armando Iannucci couldn't have come up with better satire.

33 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Nobody is working today. What were they expecting?

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Nobody is working today. What were they expecting?

Should be halfway up the A11 by next Thursday then.🚛🚛🚛🚛🚙🚚🚐🚙🚚🚛😥

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Should be halfway up the A11 by next Thursday then.🚛🚛🚛🚛🚙🚚🚐🚙🚚🚛😥

It is all a bit sad isn’t it, there comes a point when we have to say let’s make this work, whether we were in favour or not, the sooner that moment comes the better but we are clearly not there yet. There are going to be difficulties, we can either celebrate them joyously or try to overcome them. 

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The Guardian press room must be a vale of tears😥

You ought to read John Harris's article today Ricardo. It's a personal account of his experiences up and down the country over many years...people who voted leave and the source of their views. It's fascinating.

He is a decent journalist. He has a view but reports from direct experience and tries to understand motivations.

It's a far better journalism than the kind of headlines and political pointedness of the Express or the Mail. In my view. And I try and see all sides.

And the article I've shared contains views understanding of Brexit as does the one I've mentioned here by John Harris..... to rule out anything the Guardian has to say?

That said, I'm not a fan of the Express but the Mail, Times and Telegraph at times have very decent articles. I'm fairly sure their journalists will be 50/50 in terms of their allegiances on Europe but ownership is not so independent.

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The Guardian press room must be a vale of tears😥

What will the Mail and Express have to moan about now though?

Where can they send in the SAS? Johnny Foreigner will be just that.

Holidays back at Butlins and Caister Holiday now.

I have a collection of old imperial coins as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It is all a bit sad isn’t it, there comes a point when we have to say let’s make this work, whether we were in favour or not, the sooner that moment comes the better but we are clearly not there yet. There are going to be difficulties, we can either celebrate them joyously or try to overcome them. 

There is no choice for people trying to overcome the problems that will emerge VW. No choice at all. It's people's livelihoods and our quality of life at stake.

Brexit has been so divisive. Despite the fact we all want to move on this issue won't just go away (you'll note here I'm sadly leaving my idealistic self behind for a hard dose of reality)

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Aye, didn't take long to disprove the first bit of Remaniac scaremongering in 2021 😀

Happy New Year all 👍

5 minutes ago, Jools said:

Aye, didn't take long to disprove the first bit of Remaniac scaremongering in 2021 😀

Happy New Year all 👍

Perhaps a new year resolution Jools....take it or leave it of course. But rather than trying to keep creating difference between one group of people ....me and you / us and them...why not just respond to the point the poster makes without a sideways snipe? There will always be differences of opinion but the thread wouldn't be taken off into a gamut of insults. 

Just my attempt at peace making and bonhomie in this new year.

I don't agree with your views but never wish you harm nor will abuse you. When we do that every one just gets defensive. I realise every now and then I post something along these lines and I fail every time but I still feel I ought to retry (every now and then).

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

There is no choice for people trying to overcome the problems that will emerge VW. No choice at all. It's people's livelihoods and our quality of life at stake.

Brexit has been so divisive. Despite the fact we all want to move on this issue won't just go away (you'll note here I'm sadly leaving my idealistic self behind for a hard dose of reality)

Of course people will have to overcome the problems, and most I’m sure will. My point related to the propensity of some to celebrate when things go wrong, the excited anticipation is a bit sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jools said:

Happy New Year all 👍

Hardly a disproof when just about every haulier is avoiding the ports at the moment in fear of the chaos that might otherwise happen. Time will tell on this one.

4 minutes ago, Jools said:

Happy New Year all 👍

I expect there will be some problems going forward but it is everyones interest to minimise them. There is always the problem of French "silly ****y" but I hear that hauliers will threaten to use Dutch and Belgian ports if there is unecessary nonsense. Business just wants to get on doing business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Of course people will have to overcome the problems, and most I’m sure will. My point related to the propensity of some to celebrate when things go wrong, the excited anticipation is a bit sad.

It's far better when things go right! But at the moment there isn't much cheer unfortunately. Last night was a good example though of this whole forum coming together I felt. Not a lot of good stories but we are all still here and trying to find some funny things to share.

Best wishes for the New Year guys. 

The real Post-Brexit phase has started, and yes there there will be economic squabbles a plenty this year and probably next. I'm more focused on what this government has in store for UK citizen's freedoms moving forward. Having now lost the opportunity to blame the EU for every ill, and for being the enemy of our culture of freedom, will they turn to destroying UK institutions next? Time will tell. 

Pulse fishing in British waters banned from midnight. The EU has this legislation  lined up but, with thirty odd regulations and the usual wrangling, it has been delayed for, I believe up to two years.

Basically this method uses electric shock to force  fish to the surface so that they can be scooped up in greater numbers. The problem is the collateral destruction of sea life in general, including eggs and breeding grounds.

Next in line will be the banning of live animal exports. This vile trade is an emotive subject down here as Port Ramsgate is a major outlet. There are constant protests on the main entrance to the town. No longer will live sheep be transported long distances, without rest or water, from the livestock markets of Wales to the abattoirs of Spain. 

This is all good.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Hilarious! The ERG and their chums (Farage et al) spent years sabotaging May's attempts at getting a deal, and then find themselves having to support Boris' inferior effort (whilst throwing around caveats like a spoiled child litters the countryside in order to cover their ars*es when it all goes to sh*it). Then along comes Moy with his North Korean communist attempt to rewrite history. Armando Iannucci couldn't have come up with better satire.

Bring back Clucky Nora. 

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Pulse fishing in British waters banned from midnight. The EU has this legislation  lined up but, with thirty odd, regulations and the usual wrangling it has been delayed for, I believe up to two years.

Basically this method uses electric shock to force  fish to the surface so that they can be scooped up in greater numbers. The problem is the collateral destruction of sea life in general, including eggs and breeding grounds.

Next in line will be the banning of live animal exports. This vile trade is an emotive subject down here as Ramsgate is a major outlet. There are constant protests on the main entrance to the town. No longer will live sheep be transported long distances, without rest or water, from the livestock markets of Wales to the abattoirs of Spain. 

This is all good.

Good to see environmental standards rising under a Tory government now that we are free of those dirty Europeans. 

6 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Good to see environmental standards rising under a Tory government now that we are free of those dirty Europeans. 

I should imagine there are as many citizens of Europe as opposed to these practise as there are  in our country. Market forces have prevailed though.

Edited by BroadstairsR

33 minutes ago, Jools said:

Happy New Year all 👍

Amen, brother 

6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I should imagine there are as many citizens of Europe as opposed to these practise as there are  in our country. Market forces have prevailed though.

The bigger the Bureaucracy the slower the action.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The bigger the Bureaucracy the slower the action.

Yep, that's why thousands will die of Covid in Europe because of lack of Pfizer doses, the blame for which lies at the feet of Macron. The UK will have completed vaccinations long before the EU. That's the reality. 

58 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I am going to take no joy in highlighting anything that goes wrong.But it will be my duty as a citizen of the country to reporting on the ongoing situations.😢

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I am going to take no joy in highlighting anything that goes wrong.

47037634.jpg.8aad8217337edde596a90f679aa249db.jpg

😉

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Yep, that's why thousands will die of Covid in Europe because of lack of Pfizer doses, the blame for which lies at the feet of Macron. The UK will have completed vaccinations long before the EU. That's the reality. 

Aye, France - 332 people vaccinated by end of 2020 -- Italy 8300 -- Germany 130,000 -- UK 944,539... Despite Brexit 😉

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Best wishes for the New Year guys. 

The real Post-Brexit phase has started, and yes there there will be economic squabbles a plenty this year and probably next. I'm more focused on what this government has in store for UK citizen's freedoms moving forward. Having now lost the opportunity to blame the EU for every ill, and for being the enemy of our culture of freedom, will they turn to destroying UK institutions next? Time will tell. 

Agree Surfer.

There was an article I read a few days ago that had some insight into this  - basically worried that that as with many previous populist regimes they need and 'enemy' to define themselves as against. Now they can't blame the EU they will find others and the downward spiral continues - the elites, institutions, judges and so until eventually each other.

Anyway - the present regime will now own this. Let's hope better heads prevail than the current malcontents.

22 minutes ago, Herman said:

I am going to take no joy in highlighting anything that goes wrong.But it will be my duty as a citizen of the country to reporting on the ongoing situations.😢

Allow me to prepare your first report.

"Everything crap is because of Brexit and the UK is going down the plughole. Meanwhile across the water a silvery vision of Avalon reveals what is forever lost"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3