Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

37 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Seems to be a race trade agreements v our new virus to see which one can sign up more countries around the world.

44 minutes ago, dj11 said:

Sizewell C anyone. 

Apparently it's ok to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia to help them bomb civilians in Yemen. And I guess their 6 year jail sentence for human rights activist Loujain al-Hathloul is ok too.  It would be churlish to suggest that PM is being selective in who is allowed to breach human rights wouldn't it?

58 minutes ago, paul moy said:

So maybe No Deal is still on....... 😎

I thought this was such a great deal.........btw where's the fish and Northern Ireland?

10 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I thought this was such a great deal.........btw where's the fish and Northern Ireland?

Apparently it is and other EU countries don't want us to have it....... any one country of the EU can veto this deal which would mean we go to WTO rules and regain 100% of fishing.  

4 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Apparently it is and other EU countries don't want us to have it....... any one country of the EU can veto this deal which would mean we go to WTO rules and regain 100% of fishing.  

The Express have been pushing that same Sweden story for years

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Getting a bit desparate now Moyo, all 27 ambassadors of the member countries approved it yesterday so it goes into effect Friday.

Also, because of the level of control the governance gives the UK they don't need to reject it. They have Johnson's balls in a vice, they just need to tighten when they feel like it. They are sitting quietly of the question of equivalance for financial services from the City, which the EU say they will consider in the New Year, sometime, no hurry. As a failed banker you must recognise that is a big deal.

3 hours ago, paul moy said:

We should not be doing deals with evil China

I see the EU have condemned them, hopefully the U.K. will later

The European Union has called for the "immediate release" of a Chinese citizen journalist who was jailed after documenting the early stages of the pandemic in Wuhan.

Zhang Zhan was sentenced to four years in prison on Monday after being found guilty of "picking quarrels and provoking trouble", a frequent charge levelled against activists.

In a statement on Tuesday, the EU voiced its concern at growing "restrictions on freedom of expression, on access to information, and intimidation and surveillance of journalists, as well as detentions, trials and sentencing of human rights defenders, lawyers, and intellectuals in China".

The statement added that "credible" sources said Zhang had been tortured in detention.

Zhang, who was detained in May, is one of several citizen journalists who have run into trouble for reporting on Wuhan. 

• Thanks 1

This is the equivalent of dropping a £10 note on the floor, bending over to pick it up and then telling everyone you know that the note you just picked up is worth £10.

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

This is the equivalent of dropping a £10 note on the floor, bending over to pick it up and then telling everyone you know that the note you just picked up is worth £10.

More like losing a £20 note, finding a £10 and claiming to be better off.

22 minutes ago, BigFish said:

More like losing a £20 note, finding a £10 and claiming to be better off.

speaking of which...I saw this and it made me smile....

IMG_20201229_141818.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 3

Didn’t seem many dissenters here ?

The deal has, however, been given the unanimous backing of ambassadors from the 27 nations and the member states were set to give their written approval on Tuesday.

So we would see another 25% of fishing? You are cheap. You will ruin anything to wave your Union flag.

11 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I wonder if Labour and Conservatives will kick anyone out that disobeys their orders, looks like a bit of dissent from all parties.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55474148

The 'deal' will pass even if Labour abstained. It's very odd that a Labour opposition would actually vote for it. And for me if they had any conscience they would abstain or vote against. Interesting if Bradshaw and the likes of Lewis might be kicked out. I doubt it.

But the whole thing reminds me a bit of the Lib Dems in coalition.

Edited by sonyc

Such a great deal eh?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/other/brexit-will-ban-british-sausage-makers-exporting-bangers-to-the-eu-from-friday/ar-BB1ciCZU?ocid=msedgdhp

British sausage-makers face a ban on exporting their bangers to the EU from this Friday. 

Government guidance says UK producers will not be allowed to export "chilled meat preparations" to Europe from January 1.

That includes chilled mince and chilled raw sausages, plus ungraded eggs and some unpasteurised milk.

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Getting a bit desparate now Moyo, all 27 ambassadors of the member countries approved it yesterday so it goes into effect Friday.

Also, because of the level of control the governance gives the UK they don't need to reject it. They have Johnson's balls in a vice, they just need to tighten when they feel like it. They are sitting quietly of the question of equivalance for financial services from the City, which the EU say they will consider in the New Year, sometime, no hurry. As a failed banker you must recognise that is a big deal.

They are playing a dangerous game because they need our financial services to service their massive debt. 

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Such a great deal eh?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/other/brexit-will-ban-british-sausage-makers-exporting-bangers-to-the-eu-from-friday/ar-BB1ciCZU?ocid=msedgdhp

British sausage-makers face a ban on exporting their bangers to the EU from this Friday. 

Government guidance says UK producers will not be allowed to export "chilled meat preparations" to Europe from January 1.

That includes chilled mince and chilled raw sausages, plus ungraded eggs and some unpasteurised milk.

The EU need to be careful as we take chilled meat from Eire and Poland I believe.  Mutual reciprocity could be the order of the day and cost them their exports to us.

The bottom line is that we need to reduce imports from the EU.

Edited by paul moy

3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

They are playing a dangerous game because they need our financial services to service their massive debt. 

I would have thought our financial services would have been too busy with our massive debt. Not sure how much it is, but will probably be world beating soon, especially with all the money the government are giving to their chums. 

Brexiters love their democracy, or so they keep telling us. Can they explain how this is democratic?

Edited by Herman

6 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Our financial services will move Paul. They will re-locate. No way are they going to stay in London. Surely you realise that?

1 minute ago, dj11 said:

I would have thought our financial services would have been too busy with our massive debt. Not sure how much it is, but will probably be world beating soon, especially with all the money the government are giving to their chums. 

Our financial services are the best in the world and the EU rely on them.   Interesting times.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Our financial services will move Paul. They will re-locate. No way are they going to stay in London. Surely you realise that?

Haha......  it is not happening

It's already happening Paul and has been for some time. Morgan Stanley the latest to announce large movement.

£100 MILLION TURING PROGRAMME ANNOUNCED

TURING VERSUS ERASMUS --- GLOBAL BRITAIN VERSUS LITTLE EUROPE 

Thousands of young Britons will be able to study and do work placements across the world via the new the Turing programme backed by over £100 million for around 35,000 students in universities, colleges and schools to go on placements and exchanges overseas, starting in September 2021. Unlike the Erasmus programme, which was founded in 1987 “to promote a sense of European identity* and citizenship among its participants”, the new scheme will have a global outlook, targeting students from disadvantaged backgrounds and areas boosting students’ skills and prospects, benefitting UK employers. It will be life changing for the student participants.

A year of Erasmus-funded reading of Sartre at the Sorbonne in Paris, or a year of Turing-funded study of Nano-engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology in Madras? It is a no-brainer to choose the exciting future that is beyond Little Europe.

*The EC in latter years funded a post-graduate exchange programme that offered opportunities outside Europe. Some 95% of the budget still focuses on Europe.

😎 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, paul moy said:

You need to read more widely than the Express Paul. It's been a story for the last couple of years too.

Expect moves and statements in the next 2/3 months. 

And I know it's happening first hand too as my cousin works in the sector.

But don't go ruining your own narrative.

City of London Brexit Deal: These Key Issues Remain - Bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-29/the-key-issues-weighing-on-the-city-of-london-after-brexit-deal

11 minutes ago, paul moy said:

That’s made up, 4 ( in fairness nobody knows if they will be the only 4 ) have already informed their staff of their intention to move, keep up.

Why do you have to make s*** up. Why can’t you just say I am sure the vast majority will carry on in the U.K. and we may attract more institutions into London, now you have said something incorrect then all it makes me do is assume you don’t actually read anything you just make it up.

Its a bit like the Government saying schools will definitely go back, when we all know it’s 50/50. All it does is make you look incompetent, untrustworthy and not keeping up. 

52 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Didn’t seem many dissenters here ?

The deal has, however, been given the unanimous backing of ambassadors from the 27 nations and the member states were set to give their written approval on Tuesday.

Well, they are still waiting for Sweden apparently.

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

That’s made up, 4 ( in fairness nobody knows if they will be the only 4 ) have already informed their staff of their intention to move, keep up.

Why do you have to make s*** up. Why can’t you just say I am sure the vast majority will carry on in the U.K. and we may attract more institutions into London, now you have said something incorrect then all it makes me do is assume you don’t actually read anything you just make it up.

Its a bit like the Government saying schools will definitely go back, when we all know it’s 50/50. All it does is make you look incompetent, untrustworthy and not keeping up. 

It's not happening........ yes, a few movements this way and that is normal,  but the majority have said that they are staying after threatening to leave.  

2 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Well, they are still waiting for Sweden apparently.

The offer of a tenner is still out there. 

25 minutes ago, Jools said:

£100 MILLION TURING PROGRAMME ANNOUNCED

TURING VERSUS ERASMUS --- GLOBAL BRITAIN VERSUS LITTLE EUROPE 

Thousands of young Britons will be able to study and do work placements across the world via the new the Turing programme backed by over £100 million for around 35,000 students in universities, colleges and schools to go on placements and exchanges overseas, starting in September 2021. Unlike the Erasmus programme, which was founded in 1987 “to promote a sense of European identity* and citizenship among its participants”, the new scheme will have a global outlook, targeting students from disadvantaged backgrounds and areas boosting students’ skills and prospects, benefitting UK employers. It will be life changing for the student participants.

A year of Erasmus-funded reading of Sartre at the Sorbonne in Paris, or a year of Turing-funded study of Nano-engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology in Madras? It is a no-brainer to choose the exciting future that is beyond Little Europe.

*The EC in latter years funded a post-graduate exchange programme that offered opportunities outside Europe. Some 95% of the budget still focuses on Europe.

😎 👍

Fantastic and thanks for the details that will no doubt upset our 'project fear' remoaners.  😎

• Like 1