Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

37 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Erasmus was always a scheme that benefited the elite kids. 

The replacement scheme will send 35,000 British kids on exchange placements not just in Europe but around the world. 

It's part of the levelling up ethos that will see advantage going to northern and working class kids instead of wealthy Home Counties kids 

And there was I thinking they got rid of it because it helped disadvantaged kids

What is Erasmus?

Erasmus is a European funding programme for education, training, youth and sport. It enables people - especially those who can't otherwise afford it - to study, work, volunteer, teach and train in other countries.

Erasmus funds all sorts of educational activities in different settings, including in schools, youth exchanges, cultural projects, volunteering, vocational training and studying at university abroad.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

And there was I thinking they got rid of it because it helped disadvantaged kids

What is Erasmus?

Erasmus is a European funding programme for education, training, youth and sport. It enables people - especially those who can't otherwise afford it - to study, work, volunteer, teach and train in other countries.

Erasmus funds all sorts of educational activities in different settings, including in schools, youth exchanges, cultural projects, volunteering, vocational training and studying at university abroad.

It's the "levelling up ethos" you're missing that RTB talks of Wbb! You know, the way this government has been for the working man throughout the whole of the past year since in power. It's a real progressive government this one. The papers are full of such reports. And if they are not, then there's plenty of plans. Golden dawns await, sunlit uplands. Not my words.

8 hours ago, BigFish said:

No deal rhetoric was just choreography to get you Brexwits to accept a bad deal........it worked

As we're leaving with a deal and that's what Remainiacs have been screaming from the rooftops for, why are you still whinging? You can't be whinging because it's a bad deal, because like myself and everybody else on here, you don't know enough about the deal yet to come to any conclusions -- The Iikes of Grieve, Grayling and other Remainiac MPs are grumbling about the deal, so on balance it is upsetting all the right people 😎 

It's sh!t Jools. It's better than no deal but in the same way that athlete's foot is better than frostbite.

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's sh!t Jools. It's better than no deal but in the same way that athlete's foot is better than frostbite.

So you've studied the full 1246-page text of the agreement? I'm impressed 😉

Haven't needed to*. We've known since we were coming out of the SM/CU that it was going to be worse than what we had. It's all rather simple. We've known right from the beginning that all the brexit promises weren't achievable. You didn't bother listening and now we are where we are.

*Haven't got the skills to read through thousands of pages of legalese either.

Despite Herminge having meticulously studied the full 1246-page text of the deal in his potting-shed, we're all commenting here without full knowledge of the contents of the deal or its implications -- However, it seems that we have regained control of our laws, our money and our waters - The latter has provoked protests from some of the fishermen, but as I understand it there will be a 5.5 year transition period during which the industry will be able to rebuild with a government subsidies to assist; after which the allocation of quotas will become an annual event -- Other nations will be able to bid for quotas of which, I understand, they will have to pay for --- Had we regained full control of fishing on Jan 1st the industry wouldn't have been able to cope with the additional quota straight away.

It seems to me that we have the basis now for an independent future where we will be able to negotiate trade worldwide without any hindrance from the EU -- MPs will be more accountable to their constituents, hence better control of our own immigration system, and we will be able to rebuild our tax system -- There `s quite a lot to be going on with so rather than trying to pick holes in the detail, if the general conditions are right, let us go forth and make the most of it 👍

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

*Haven't got the skills to read through thousands of pages of legalese either.

Neither have I, Herbert, so it's best we wait for the professionals conclusions than you believe everything written in the Guardian and me believing everything written in the Spectator 😉

33 minutes ago, Jools said:

Neither have I, Herbert, so it's best we wait for the professionals conclusions than you believe everything written in the Guardian and me believing everything written in the Spectator 😉

We were told that 99% of the deal was supported months ago and was the little bits, the ones your tough negotiators caved in on, that remained.

So much of the deal was done and commentators said it was no better than May's deal. A deal Boris voted against.

And why have Parliament been given one day to debate it? Why wasn't it recalled today?

Because its a nothing deal that does not give the UK the independence we are told is so important.

An independence like NATO? Like Security?

We have spent the last bleddy five years debating, voting and negotiating for this five year interim agreement. Thats 50% who voted leave who will be dead before we get close to it.

1 hour ago, Jools said:

It seems to me that we have the basis now for an independent future where we will be able to negotiate trade worldwide without any hindrance from the EU -- MPs will be more accountable to their constituents, hence better control of our own immigration system, and we will be able to rebuild our tax system -- There `s quite a lot to be going on with so rather than trying to pick holes in the detail, if the general conditions are right, let us go forth and make the most of it 👍

Well some things never change,  Jonah Joolsiani continues to spout BS. Pretty much all the deals the UK have done so far are just roll-overs of the same EU deals. The few that aren't like the Japan deal have been demonstrated to be worse than what we had within the EU (e.g the restraints on state aid are more stringent, so so much for "unhindered" "independence"). Do feel free to explain to us how our tax system has been damaged by the EU and in what ways we will be able to "rebuild" it that required leaving the EU. And I look forward to you demonstrating how limiting our access to vital security information gathered by the EU is going to enhance our control of the borders (the security services don't think so but I assume you know better). As ever your ideological obsession with hatred of foreigners make you a gullible fool ripe for exploitation by the Brexit buffoons who know how to boil your gammon head. Anyone capable of saying something as stupid as, "rather than pick holes in the details" de facto excludes themselves from rational debate and demonstrates what a naive fool they are. 

12 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Has anyone offerd clarity to what it means for UK Financial Services?

I'm asking on behalf of my pension pot as well a general inquiry. (Pension pot that had barely recovered from the referendum vote before covid royally shafted it)

Daz, here's some predictions from an economic consultancy, the Centre for Economic and Business Research (CEBR).

The UK economy will grow to become 23 per cent larger than that of France by 2035, growing by four per cent per year between now and 2025 and by 1.8 per cent from 2026 onward. The CEBR sees UK growth outstripping that of EU countries. The French economy is currently 3.5 per cent behind that of the UK. The UK economy today is 43 per cent smaller than Germany but by 2035, reckons the CEBR, it will be just 10 per cent behind.  

You won't find this story in the Guardian or BBC.

6 hours ago, Herman said:

There was nothing wrong with Erasmus until:

A) Boris Johnson got rid of it in a bit of political vandalism.

B)People got angry about its axing.

So the RWNJs circled the wagons and started pumping out guff in their favoured bs magazines and websites, desperate to try and prove it wasn't any good and elitist and needed to get rid of anyway.

We know how you work Rocky and it's ****ing tiresome. Don't you get tired of having to dig Johnson out of the unnecessary holes he puts himself in?

The Erasmus scheme worked very well for the middle-classes, and the people who were angry were the kind of MPs and journalists with access to the media whose kids were the most likely to get onto the scheme. You were subsidising the entitled through your taxes. You should be angry that your wages were going to the already well-off. Open your eyes. You were being mugged.

5 hours ago, horsefly said:

The great irony is that their gullibility is being exploited by a bunch of Eton boys who laugh at their stupidity. Boris and his Bullingdon bullies delighted in deriding and abusing the working classes. 

No, I think we can quite confidently say that the abuse of the working classes comes from those who call themselves Remainers. We have four and a half years of hate and invective directed at the working class on this very forum as a starting point for evidence. None more so than your mate, City 1st. So stop trying to be clever. Its a hat that doesn't fit you.

7 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Daz, here's some predictions from an economic consultancy, the Centre for Economic and Business Research (CEBR).

The UK economy will grow to become 23 per cent larger than that of France by 2035, growing by four per cent per year between now and 2025 and by 1.8 per cent from 2026 onward. The CEBR sees UK growth outstripping that of EU countries. The French economy is currently 3.5 per cent behind that of the UK. The UK economy today is 43 per cent smaller than Germany but by 2035, reckons the CEBR, it will be just 10 per cent behind.  

I did notice that the UK has regained its position as 5th largest economy in the world by GDP, Covid apparently being a big factor in the short term reverse in India.

20 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Has anyone offerd clarity to what it means for UK Financial Services?

I'm asking on behalf of my pension pot as well a general inquiry. (Pension pot that had barely recovered from the referendum vote before covid royally shafted it)

Short-term, not good: https://ukandeu.ac.uk/what-does-the-brexit-trade-deal-mean-for-financial-services

The TCA does not (and was not intended to) make provisions for financial services firms in the UK to access the single market. As a result, from the 1 January 2021, UK financial services firms will lose their passporting rights. Passporting has allowed firms to sell their services into the EU from their UK base without the need for additional regulatory clearances.

This is important because financial services is an export success for the UK and has developed significant EU export markets on the back of passporting arrangements (around 40% of the sector’s exports go to the EU).

In order to continue to access the single market without passporting, UK based financial services firms will either have to comply with the different requirements of individual member states or rely on equivalence decisions.

Neither is a like for like replacement for the EU wide common access facilitated through passporting. Seeking permissions on a state by state basis would add complexity and hence costs for financial services firms.

Meanwhile equivalence does not cover the same range of financial services activities. Core banking services such as lending, payments and deposit taking are excluded, for example. Neither do they guarantee permanent access rights. The EU can withdraw equivalence determinations with 30 day’s notice.

Given the importance of equivalence for continued market access, the UK and the EU agreed in the 2019 Political Declaration to try to conclude their equivalence determinations by mid-2020. This ambition was not met.

Long-term, nobody knows.

7 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I'm sure people asking about their pension pots will be glad to hear this. Especially seeing as pensions pots, as we all know, are measured on the all important "How are we doing compared to those frogs?" ratio.

The irony of your post is that if you actually bothered to read the report (you didn't, you copied a paragraph from the Telegraph) you'd realise that one of the overriding points was this:

Western economies, who have performed relatively badly during the pandemic, need to stop looking at each other as comparators.

9 hours ago, Jools said:

There `s quite a lot to be going on with so rather than trying to pick holes in the detail, if the general conditions are right, let us go forth and make the most of it 👍

And here's why it's so stupid to make a comment like the above:

A Sky News report this morning interviewed Peter Wood the owner of UK Glass Eels (a 50 year old company in Gloucestershire). He voted for Brexit but is now facing the closure of his business because of the extra paper work that is now required as a result of the deal. He says he can't compete with his EU competitors who don't have that extra burden. Unsuprisingly he now says he would never have voted leave if he had been aware of the true consequences of Brexit.

The detail is all important Jools you buffoon, as this poor man and his 10 staff have sadly discovered. And there will be many more like him who will now discover the reality of what Brexit means as opposed to the lies they were fed before the vote and over the last 4 years. 

‘The EU and China are close to reaching a long-awaited business investment deal, according to media reports.’

i assume we will have a similar deal, but better, world beating and massive. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jools said:

As we're leaving with a deal and that's what Remainiacs have been screaming from the rooftops for, why are you still whinging? You can't be whinging because it's a bad deal, because like myself and everybody else on here, you don't know enough about the deal yet to come to any conclusions -- The Iikes of Grieve, Grayling and other Remainiac MPs are grumbling about the deal, so on balance it is upsetting all the right people 😎 

Fairly standard Brexwit hogwash, deflection and mendaciousness. This is a bad deal, the only question is how bad a deal it is. The headline quick views give you that information. That said it is much better than no deal. If you were honest you would be able to accept you haven't got what you wanted, that Johnson surrendered many redlines. The is a border down the Irish Sea, there is nothing in this deal for sevices, fishing promises have been broken, the ECJ remains primary in a number of legal areas, it gives the EU much more power than is normal in FTAs, it contains heavy oversight and punishment mechanisms etc etc

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/26/china-to-overtake-us-as-worlds-biggest-economy-by-2028-report-predicts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-55454146

You will. 

We must have got a good deal because some EU states are allegedly threatening to vote it down, one being Sweden, who are saying that if this deal goes through they will also leave the EU......

So maybe No Deal is still on....... 😎

Edited by paul moy

18 minutes ago, Herman said:

Ah, Propaganda Paul of the Express. So glad you could join us.

Remoaners still cannot accept reality.........  🤣

31 minutes ago, paul moy said:

We should not be doing deals with evil China

Sizewell C anyone. 

I accept reality. I also accept that you are the biggest peddler of misinformation and basic lies since RTB and Jools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, paul moy said:

We must have got a good deal because some EU states are allegedly threatening to vote it down, one being Sweden, who are saying that if this deal goes through they will also leave the EU......

So maybe No Deal is still on....... 😎

I will have a tenner with you that Sweden will not leave if the deal goes through. I note it is only the Express reporting this.