Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

37 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

What's the alternative if there's a no deal ?

On this you may be right Swindo, tremendous level of brinkmanship going on from Johnson/Cummings including the belief that it may be easier to negotiate a deal after the UK crashes out with no deal. So the EU has outsmarted the UK at every stage and continue in talks despite the UK's insults and provocations because they will not be the ones to crash a deal. Rumour is that if Johnson/Cummings surrenders on most of the difficult issues they will offer him a few crumbs, perhaps around fishing, and allow him to claim victory. They are the grown ups in the room after all.

As this will be incredibly expensive and proportionally far more damaging to the UK than the EU I am a little uncertain of what the point is that you are trying to make.

What I'm writing is that the one thing the EU want's is a 'no deal' as that means they will go  WTO which is the last thing they want. 

Edited by SwindonCanary

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

All you lot are saying what will happen if there's a no deal, give it a rest, there will be a dealThe EU are running scared of going WTO Terms because that would expose them to International Courts and Arbitrations. They don't like it. The US took them to WTO Arbitration and won. 99% of the time, anyone who takes the EU to the WTO Arbitration wins there's no way the EU will leave without a deal. 

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

What's the alternative if there's a no deal ?

Oh dear! The EU has a very large number of free trade agreements in place (WTO rules will only apply to their trading with the  UK). The UK will have to renegotiate all of these that follow in the chart below. But you can at least tick Japan off this list (0.07% of our GDP).

Trade agreements in force[edit]

State Signed Provisional
Application
In Force Notes Relations
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Akrotiri and Dhekelia 2003   2004[3] Customs union  
21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png Albania 2006 2006[a] 2009[4] SAA Negotiating for EU accession
23px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png Algeria 2002   2005[5] Euro-mediterranean AA  
22px-Flag_of_Andorra.svg.png Andorra 1990   1991[6] Customs union Andorra–EU relations
23px-Flag_of_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina.svg. Bosnia and Herzegovina 2008 2008[a] 2015[7] SAA Potential candidate for EU accession
23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile 2002 2003 2005[8] AA[9]  
23px-Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png Egypt 2001   2004[10] Euro-mediterranean AA  
21px-Flag_of_the_Faroe_Islands.svg.png Faroe Islands 1996   1997[11] Autonomous entity of Denmark Faroe Islands-EU relations
23px-Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png Georgia 2014 2014 2016[12] AA incl DCFTA Georgia–EU relations
23px-Flag_of_Guernsey.svg.png Bailiwick of Guernsey 1972   1973[13] Customs union  
21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland 1992   1994[14] EEA Iceland–EU relations
23px-Flag_of_the_Isle_of_Man.svg.png Isle of Man 1972   1973[13] Customs union  
21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel 1995 1996[a][15] 2000[16] Euro-Mediterranean AA Israel–EU relations
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan 2018[17]   2019[18] Economic Partnership Agreement [19] Japan-EU relations
23px-Flag_of_Jersey.svg.png Bailiwick of Jersey 1972   1973[13] Customs union  
23px-Flag_of_Jordan.svg.png Jordan 1997   2002[20] Euro-Mediterranean AA Jordan–EU relations
21px-Flag_of_Kosovo.svg.png Kosovo 2015   2016[21] SAA Potential candidate for EU accession
23px-Flag_of_Lebanon.svg.png Lebanon 2002   2006[22] Euro-Mediterranean AA Lebanon–EU relations
23px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg.png Liechtenstein 1992   1995[14] EEA Liechtenstein–EU relations
23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png Mexico 1997   2000[23] FTA[24][25] Mexico–EU relations
23px-Flag_of_Moldova.svg.png Moldova 2014 2014 2016[26] AA incl DCFTA Moldova–EU relations
19px-Flag_of_Monaco.svg.png Monaco     1958 Franco-Monegasque Treaty (customs union)  
23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.png Montenegro 2007 2008[a] 2010[27] SAA Negotiating for EU accession
23px-Flag_of_Morocco.svg.png Morocco 1996   2000[28] Euro-Mediterranean AA Morocco–EU relations
23px-Flag_of_North_Macedonia.svg.png North Macedonia 2001 2001[a] 2004[29] SAA Negotiating for EU accession
21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway 1992   1994[14] EEA Norway–EU relations
23px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png EU's Overseas Countries and Territories 2001   2001[30][31] Association of the OCTs with the EU  
23px-Flag_of_Palestine.svg.png Palestinian Authority 1997   1997[32] Euro-Mediterranean AA Palestine–EU relations
20px-Flag_of_San_Marino.svg.png San Marino 1991 1992

2002[33] Customs union San Marino–EU relations 23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Serbia 2008 2010[a] 2013[34] SAA Negotiating for EU accession 23px-Flag_of_Singapore.svg.png Singapore 2018[35]   2019[36] FTA[37]   23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png South Africa 1999 2000[38] 2004[39] ATDC[c] South Africa–EU relations 23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea 2010 2011 2015[40] FTA[41] South Korea–EU relations 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland 1972   1973[42] Trade agreement Switzerland–EU relations 23px-Flag_of_Tunisia.svg.png Tunisia 1995   1998[43] Euro-Mediterranean AA   23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Turkey 1995[d]   1995[44] Customs union EU–Turkey relations 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom 2020[45]   2020 Transitional arrangement until 31 December 2020 UK–EU relations 23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Ukraine 2014 2016 2017[46][47] AA incl DCFTA Ukraine–EU relations 23px-Flag_of_Vietnam.svg.png Vietnam 2019   2020[48] Free Trade Agreement[49] Vietnam–European Union relations

Agreements provisionally applied[edit]

Signed Provisional
Application Ratification Notes Relations CARIFORUM States 2008 2008

35 / 44

[50] EPA - Croatia acceded to the agreement on 28 November 2017   Eastern and Southern Africa States
23px-Flag_of_the_Comoros.svg.png Comoros
23px-Flag_of_Madagascar.svg.png Madagascar
23px-Flag_of_Mauritius.svg.png Mauritius
23px-Flag_of_Seychelles.svg.png Seychelles
23px-Flag_of_Zambia.svg.png Zambia[51]
23px-Flag_of_Zimbabwe.svg.png Zimbabwe 2009 2012, 2019

5 / 35

[52] Interim Agreement for establishing a framework for an EPA   Central America
23px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png Costa Rica
23px-Flag_of_Guatemala.svg.png Guatemala
23px-Flag_of_Honduras.svg.png Honduras
23px-Flag_of_Nicaragua.svg.png Nicaragua
23px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png Panama
23px-Flag_of_El_Salvador.svg.png El Salvador 2012 2013

32 / 34

[53] AA   23px-Flag_of_C%C3%B4te_d%27Ivoire.svg.pn Côte d'Ivoire 2009 2016

22 / 30

[54] Stepping Stone EPA   23px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png Colombia
23px-Flag_of_Peru.svg.png Peru 2012[55] 2013

28 / 30

[56] FTA[57]   23px-Flag_of_Cameroon.svg.png Cameroon 2009 2014

21 / 30

[58] Interim agreement with a view to an EPA   Pacific States
23px-Flag_of_Fiji.svg.png Fiji
20px-Flag_of_Papua_New_Guinea.svg.png Papua New Guinea
23px-Flag_of_Samoa.svg.png Samoa
23px-Flag_of_the_Solomon_Islands.svg.png Solomon Islands 2009 2009, 2014, 2018, 2020

4 / 5

[59] Interim Partnership Agreement   South African Development Community members
23px-Flag_of_Botswana.svg.png Botswana
23px-Flag_of_Lesotho.svg.png Lesotho
23px-Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png Mozambique
23px-Flag_of_Namibia.svg.png Namibia
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png South Africa
23px-Flag_of_Eswatini.svg.png Swaziland 2016 2016

16 / 35

[60] Economic Partnership Agreement   23px-Flag_of_Ghana.svg.png Ghana 2016 2016[61]

7 / 30

[61] Stepping Stone EPA   23px-Flag_of_Ecuador.svg.png Ecuador 2016[62] 2017[63]

26 / 32

[64] Accession to EU-Peru-Colombia Free Trade Agreement[65]   23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada 2016 2017[66]

15 / 30

[67] Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement[68]  

Agreements signed (awaiting application)[edit]

Agreements finalised (negotiations concluded, but not signed)[edit]

Negotiations Concluded Signed Provisional
Application Ratification Notes West Africa
23px-Flag_of_Benin.svg.png Benin
23px-Flag_of_Burkina_Faso.svg.png Burkina Faso
23px-Flag_of_Cape_Verde.svg.png Cabo Verde
23px-Flag_of_C%C3%B4te_d%27Ivoire.svg.pn Côte d'Ivoire
23px-Flag_of_The_Gambia.svg.png Gambia
23px-Flag_of_Ghana.svg.png Ghana
23px-Flag_of_Guinea.svg.png Guinea
23px-Flag_of_Guinea-Bissau.svg.png Guinea-Bissau
23px-Flag_of_Liberia.svg.png Liberia
23px-Flag_of_Mali.svg.png Mali
23px-Flag_of_Mauritania.svg.png Mauritania
18px-Flag_of_Niger.svg.png Niger
23px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png Nigeria
23px-Flag_of_Senegal.svg.png Senegal
23px-Flag_of_Sierra_Leone.svg.png Sierra Leone
23px-Flag_of_Togo.svg.png Togo 6 February 2014 Signed by 15 out of 16 West African partner countries and the EU[69]     Economic Partnership Agreement[70][71] Eastern African Community members
23px-Flag_of_Burundi.svg.png Burundi
23px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png Kenya
23px-Flag_of_Rwanda.svg.png Rwanda
23px-Flag_of_Tanzania.svg.png Tanzania
23px-Flag_of_Uganda.svg.png Uganda 16 October 2014 Signed by 2 out of 5 East African partner countries and the EU[72] Ratified by 23px-Flag_of_Rwanda.svg.png Rwanda and 23px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png Kenya   Economic Partnership Agreement[73] Mercosur
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil
23px-Flag_of_Paraguay.svg.png Paraguay
23px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.png Uruguay 28 June 2019[74] No     European Union–Mercosur Free Trade Agreement. Part of an Association Agreement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_free_trade_agreements#:~:text=The European Union negotiates free trade deals on,has an "exclusive competence" to conclude trade agreements.

Good luck you Brexsh*t buffoons!

Edited by horsefly
added link

The Daily Mash has just published a fun new questionnaire to determine what kind of voter you may be, give it a try. 🤣

Are you too thick to vote?

BRITAIN’S current crisis is the result of voters failing to understand important issues, experts claim. So are you one of Britain’s thick-as-pigsh*t voters? Find out: 

Who is the chancellor of the exchequer?

A) Rishi Sunak.
B) Money Saving Expert’s Martin Lewis.

If Anna gives Becky three apples, and Charles gives Becky four apples but she gives one back to Anna, how many apples does Becky have?

A) Six apples.
B) Why’s Charles giving Becky apples? I’m sick of this handout culture where lazy b*stards expect everything for free. Becky is everything that’s wrong with Britain.

Name three of William Shakespeare’s plays.

A) Hamlet. Romeo and Juliet. A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
B) I don’t like made-up stuff. I can’t believe in it. I only watch true crime.

What is the EU?

A) An international trade organisation based in Europe.
B) A dictatorship completely dependent on our money which controls every aspect of our lives and which will collapse without us. Believe me, it’s their head on the chopping block.

What percentage of the British population is white?

A) 86 per cent.
B) Less than 30 per cent and getting lower. Because they breed faster. You know who I mean. We’re the minority now.

Which famous event began in 1939?

A) World War Two.
B) Coronation Street.

ANSWERS

Mostly As: You are reasonably well-informed. Expect your vote to be instantly cancelled out by some idiot who thinks cats miaowing is an actual language.

Mostly Bs: For the good of democracy, don’t vote. Or do some bloody research, but you won’t do that because Google is so hard to use, except when you want a pizza or a w*nk.

• Haha 2

What I'm writing is that the one thing the EU want's is a 'no deal' as that means they will go  WTO which is the last thing they want. 

Why would that be? WTO with the UK does not automatically mean WTO with the rest of the world. 

BTW this is the “Positive Brexit” thread. Where  is the positive news? All I see is a failure to get anything done, and whining about who’s fault that is - does the government not have a plan?

If there is a plan can they tell us what it is and show what has been done so far to execute it? 

• Like 1

What I'm writing* is that the one thing the EU want's is a 'no deal' as that means they will go  WTO which is the last thing they want. 

*smashing face repeatedly into keyboard then pressing 'submit reply' 

• Haha 2

NOTHING AS BIG A THE DEAL THEY WILL HAVE WITH THE UK 

Mr Horsesh1t

I think NFN NC is spot on, you really must be:

"smashing face repeatedly into keyboard then pressing 'submit reply' "

You really must try giving that old motto, "Think before you speak" a go. You don't even have to do both at the same time, which would clearly be beyond your capacity.

•  
  • Haha 1

Ah, I think I have rumbled Dom's cunning plan. 

We are going to use the military to ship critical goods to the EU through our bases in Cyprus. That'll show 'em. " Rule Britannia!, Britannia rule the waves, Britons never, never, never shall be slaves" 

The nations not so blest as thee
Must, in their turn, to tyrants fall,
While thou shalt flourish great and free:
The dread and envy of them all.

Forget about Berlin, the Akrotiri Airlift and Dhekelia Depot will be even more famous. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 07.48.18.png

Edited by Surfer
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

We all know that Brexsh*teers end up contradicting themselves at some point in their rantings, but to manage it within the confines of a single sentence takes real dedication to stupidity and linguistic incompetence. Bravo!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Let's be factual about this. The UK, EU and all 27 members of the EU are members of the WTO. "No Deal" therefore means defaulting to "WTO rules". WTO rules arn't actually enforcable but do give a framework under International Law for trade sanctions. WTO rules arn't particularly useful either, no countries that are members trade under WTO rules alone, rather they tend to have numerous other treaties in addition.

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

You are all having a go at me but just watch the EU cave in, THEY WILL DO IT !

Johnson will say they have caved in, and you will believe it.

Meanwhile in the real world the EU will have got everything they want from a difficult situation.

A level playing field is the desired outcome of any negotiation you idiot. If it’s not level, you don’t sign until you find ways to compensate for the advantage one party has over the other... I am almost ready to give up arguing, but I know it’s what you want us to do.....

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

A level playing field is the desired outcome of any negotiation you idiot. If it’s not level, you don’t sign until you find ways to compensate for the advantage one party has over the other... I am almost ready to give up arguing, but I know it’s what you want us to do.....

I blocked him months ago, I can’t believe you persist. Flogging and dead horse spring to mind. Just move on, nothing to see here. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Guaranty we don't give in to a level playing field or any of the other things the EU have come up with. 

I guarantee they all know how to use a spell checker.

From the Financial Times:
France has dismissed this week’s dire British warnings about post-Brexit transport delays across the Channel as tactical posturing and warned that the EU would not yield to “intimidation” to reach an agreement on the future relationship between the two sides.   

“Of course the signals that have been sent in the past few days are damaging,” said France’s Europe minister Clément Beaune, portraying as a likely deal-breaker the draft UK law undermining key parts of the Brexit withdrawal agreement signed by Boris Johnson in January. 

“Anything which disrupts, disturbs or increases tensions in the negotiations is regrettable and we won’t fall for a kind of intimidation at the European level,” Mr Beaune, a confidant of President Emmanuel Macron and co-architect of his Europe policy, told the Financial Times.

Asked about statements from Michael Gove, the UK cabinet minister responsible for Brexit implementation, about access permits for international lorries to enter the county of Kent and the likelihood of queues of up to 7,000 vehicles waiting to cross the Channel, Mr Beaune said he saw them as a way of putting pressure on the Europeans.

“It won’t work,” he said. “So let’s not waste time with these unfortunate tactical games and let’s negotiate fairly.” 

French officials and executives who do business with the UK are aghast at the British government’s attempt to rewrite an international treaty signed less than a year ago after fraught negotiations. They are also baffled by the UK’s apparent lack of technical preparation for new customs arrangements that will apply from January 1, whether or not there is an outline agreement on the future relationship. 

Mr Beaune said France and the EU were keen to reach a deal, but he reiterated that it would not be possible to grant the UK broad access to the EU market unless it agreed to respect the bloc’s health and environmental rules and restrictions on state aid for companies so as to ensure a “level playing field”.

Doesn't quite sound like they're ready to cave in SwindleCanary (Do reveal your source that says otherwise). And would you like to tell us why it is in the interests of the UK population to accept lower standards for health and environmental rules?

image.png

I don't know if there will be a trade deal or not. No-one does. But at the moment I think not is just more likely. This is not a government but a one-eyed Make Brexit Happen cabal, led by a man whose whole political career has been based on symbols and legends and lies rather than facts and truth and consequences. With his chief adviser a destructivist (not that he paints himself as such) who wants to raze everything to the ground without a plan - or probably a care - as  how to rebuild.

That points to a great symbolic clean break and damn the consequences. The Lemming Brexit. And this could happen deliberately, or by accident if Johnson thinks the EU is going to blink. For there to be a deal Johnson and his idiot cabal and Cummings have to change the habits and attitudes of a lifetime in the next few weeks.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

from the labour leader himself 

DESPITE BRUSSELS stating time and again the Withdrawal Agreement cannot be reopened to changes, the European Union has proposed its own amendments to the treaty – showing its true colours. The EU will not stop trying to claw back control of the United Kingdom. By utilising the Withdrawal Agreement, it can wait out this pro-Brexit Government until a more compliant one takes office, potentially with a Prime Minister who would gladly sign away our independence at the flick of a pen. 

There is an operational function written into the Withdrawal Agreement which enables either side to propose amendments to the Treaty which the EU has already utilised extensively. It has recently initiated proceedings through the EU-UK Joint Committee, with Brussels proposing amendments to the Agreement. These are on issues such as the UK’s financial contribution for exiting the bloc (otherwise known as the ‘divorce payments’), social security provisions for EU citizens living in the UK and changes to the Northern Ireland Protocol.  

13 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Take it home, that's always best 

I wonder what BMW are thinking then.  Following your advice ? You better hope not!

16 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I wonder what BMW are thinking then.  Following your advice ? You better hope not!

BMW are throwing money at the British plants, even during the talks, they seem to have no doubt there will be a deal. 

47 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

from the labour leader himself 

DESPITE BRUSSELS stating time and again the Withdrawal Agreement cannot be reopened to changes, the European Union has proposed its own amendments to the treaty – showing its true colours. The EU will not stop trying to claw back control of the United Kingdom. By utilising the Withdrawal Agreement, it can wait out this pro-Brexit Government until a more compliant one takes office, potentially with a Prime Minister who would gladly sign away our independence at the flick of a pen. 

There is an operational function written into the Withdrawal Agreement which enables either side to propose amendments to the Treaty which the EU has already utilised extensively. It has recently initiated proceedings through the EU-UK Joint Committee, with Brussels proposing amendments to the Agreement. These are on issues such as the UK’s financial contribution for exiting the bloc (otherwise known as the ‘divorce payments’), social security provisions for EU citizens living in the UK and changes to the Northern Ireland Protocol.  

This is not from the labour leader ****-for-brains.

You need to cite the real website from which you cut and paste this, otherwise you are committing plagiarism. I'll do it for you again: https://getbritainout.org/how-the-withdrawal-agreement-could-pull-us-back-into-the-eu/

You, and the idiots who originally posted this really are Brexsh*t buffoons in chief. 

You say:

"DESPITE BRUSSELS stating time and again the Withdrawal Agreement cannot be reopened to changes, the European Union has proposed its own amendments to the treaty"

Then you say:

"There is an operational function written into the Withdrawal Agreement which enables either side to propose amendments to the Treaty"

Duh!!! ffs can't even you (with your admittedly limited intellectual capacities) see that the second statement completely negates the first. Under the WA each side is able to propose amendments. But that's not what Johnson is doing DFB, he's proposing to break the agreement altogether and thereby break international law. Do at least try to understand the difference. All you do with each of the posts you submit is confirm to all of us that Brexiteers really are as dumb as we thought

Edited by horsefly
missing words

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Where did he get the from the labour leader from? 

F**k Knows. Certainly not claimed in the originally loony rant. Only someone seriously lacking basic cognitive ability could think Starmer would say this. The man needs some remedial help.

Edited by horsefly
missing words