Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

9 hours ago, NFN FC said:

There's literally no point in giving Jools any form of debate. All he does is cut and paste or call you a loser because you have a different viewpoint. (Of course you were personally responsible for you losing the referendum as you voted remain. How dare you! Lefty Remainiac blah blah blah). This is his playground tactics learnt from his idols. 

LOSER ? can any remouner tell me what you've won ?

Thanks NFN, Purple, HIWEM and Yellow Fever for the responses. 👍

4 odd years after the easiest deal in history and now the only consensus is that it is going to be bad. Flip a coin for how bad. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sonyc said:

Anyone analysing this whole thread for (say) the last 3  months can quickly identify the utter shallowness of Brexit supporters. It is all here in writing. I think there is a certain enjoyment in winding up posters from the likes of Jools and Swindon because there is literally no thoughtful response to concerned questions

....instead there are often simple one liners which act as distractions or taunts. Or jokes.....or, on another occasion, there are floods of material that aim to swamp. So much like Johnson in the house of commons who makes jokes or rattles off quickly spoken volleys ...or verbal diarrhoea.

This is so shallow. I'm just hopeful some more serious-minded Brexit supporters might join the thread. Broadstairs made some input recently as one example. 

It doesn't seem to matter what happens or how it happens. Yet, one can see such problems ahead. To deny that problems won't arise is very foolish. To simply blame the EU is of course preposterous. Some folk are very easily taken in, very manipulated. It's difficult to be empathic towards the likes of Jools and Swindon for their opinions... and I suppose they get a lot of banter, grief, insult here. I reckon they know they've actually backed the wrong side of an argument. When you're so deeply entrenched, rather than find middle ground or try and debate, you lash out or make jokes or taunts. Such comedy is merely a massive defence.

Pretty much this. The SANER brexiters don't want to know. There used to be quite a few but as their argument got weaker they disappeared. 

But surely there must be some people that were pro brexit that are now not happy with how it is morphing. They must see how this government is behaving and realise it is wrong? It's not even a remain/leave argument any more. It's about right or wrong and where you want the country to head. 

Come on brexiters. Where are you? 

Edited by Herman
Edited for Swindo.

I'm still here, but many brexiters have given up on the leavers continually calling us names. Don't worry as it's only on this forum throughout the UK we are still in the majority. 

31 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'm still here, but many brexiters have given up on the leavers continually calling us names. Don't worry as it's only on this forum throughout the UK we are still in the majority. 

He was addressing the SANER brexiteers, not you. 

11 hours ago, Jools said:

Analyse the above, Horsey-boy 🙃

I will happily demolish the tosh that you have yet again downloaded from your favourite site "Brexit facts4tw*ts". But I will only bother if you now make the promise to respond with argument YOURSELF to each of the points I take the trouble to make. So far you have failed to provide any argument whatsoever in your posts, and as others (who have been on this site a lot longer than myself) have pointed out it is futile attempting to engage in reasoned arguments with someone who is either incapable of of achieving the intellectual standards required or is merely a feckless bigot. 

So, are you willingly to put your money where your mouth is? Will you take up the challenge to respond YOURSELF to each of the points I make? (that means no cut and paste). Then we can truly let people decide who is in possession of the facts.

54 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

He was addressing the SANER brexiteers, not you. 

he was, but when he mentions  brexiters he brings  us all into it.

11 hours ago, Jools said:

So why didn’t Irish and UK Customs get together to agree to extend existing border arrangements?

It is clear from the testimonies of the most senior Customs officials on both sides of the border – the department heads with the expertise – that they were prevented from talking to each other by the EU and by the Irish government.

“We are not in any form of negotiation or even having any discussion with the UK at this point.”

- Liam Irwin, then Irish Revenue Commissioner

Q: “Could Mr. Cody clarify whether there is a legal impediment to negotiations between us and-----“

Niall Cody (Chairman of Irish Customs): “Yes.”

Q: “-----so we can have discussions but not negotiations?”

Niall Cody : “The European Union will be negotiating with the United Kingdom in regard to Brexit.”

- Senior Irish Revenue officials, testimony to the Dáil committee in 2017

Horsefly, of course we both know Jools won't rise to your challenge because he cannot. But I have singled out one example of how this stuff he posts is misleading garbage. Just look at this question:

So why didn’t Irish and UK Customs get together to agree to extend existing border arrangements?

There are then some quotes from officials to back up the impression that the EU is stopping this from happening. But you only have to have even only half a brain and think about that for a second to realise that the question is based on a nonsense proposition - namely that  customs officials can negotiate and decide ('...to agree to extend existing border arrangements...') a significant part of an international treaty.

Which of course would be entirely undemocratic. Governments and parliaments negotiate and agree on international treaties, and particularly on such a complex and politically charged issue as this border, where the question of whether it is possible to keep the same arrangements is highly moot.

Jools would have a fit if all these Remoaner (or whatever equally infantile insult is favourite now) civil servants these blogs are always complaining about had actually the power to negotiate Brexit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jools said:

It's my thread and I'll cut & paste facts that you so despise all I like --- You can always take your vast intellect over to the Lefty echo chamber that is the 'Brexit Reprise' thread -- I swear not to bother you there.

So here we have it plain and clear at last. You really don't have the capacity for reasoned argument and hence you have chickened out of my challenge. A typical feeble-minded Brexiteer, all rant and no reason. BTW,  I don't have a PhD in common sense like you, I actually have a real PhD. So not a "pseudo" intellectual either. 

Edited by horsefly
missing text

33 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Horsefly, of course we both know Jools won't rise to your challenge because he cannot. But I have singled out one example of how this stuff he posts is misleading garbage. Just look at this question:

There are then some quotes from officials to back up the impression that the EU is stopping this from happening. But you only have to have even only half a brain and think about that for a second to realise that the question is based on a nonsense proposition - namely that  customs officials can negotiate and decide ('...to agree to extend existing border arrangements...') a significant part of an international treaty.

Which of course would be entirely undemocratic. Governments and parliaments negotiate and agree on international treaties, and particularly on such a complex and politically charged issue as this border, where the question of whether it is possible to keep the same arrangements is highly moot.

Jools would have a fit if all these Remoaner (or whatever equally infantile insult is favourite now) civil servants these blogs are always complaining about had actually the power to negotiate Brexit.

Absolutely spot on Purple, and precisely a point I was going to make myself. Hilariously the writer of this guff doesn't even see that the reason why it was possible for this light touch on the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland is because BOTH were members of the single market. Thus it couldn't possibly be the case that this would continue if a free trade deal couldn't be agreed.  The whole of this terrible piece of cut and paste is riddled with mind-numbing non-sequiturs like this. 

Edited by horsefly

10 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Can I just say it's almost relaxing to dip into this thread and you can feel like it's 2019.  Or 2018...

Ahhhh, the good times 

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Can I just say it's almost relaxing to dip into this thread and you can feel like it's 2019.  Or 2018...

You can say it, but I don't know why. I think you will find that the present negotiations going on right NOW between the EU and UK are absolutely crucial for the future of this country. Getting these wrong will be a disaster for the UK economy and the lives of millions of our population. All the comments that I've seen here from those critical of the hard-line Brexiteers are about these present negotiations. You may wish to return to 2018, perhaps because the harsh reality of where Brexit was likely to lead could be ignored. The current negotiations demonstrate just what a sh*tstorm Brexit has dropped us into, so bad indeed that a Tory government is using a threat to break international law as a negotiating tool. Sorry, but this isn't a moment for flippancy

31 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Wish I could go back to those old threads, we could see the predictions of those wanting to stay in. 

19 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Wish I could go back to those old threads, we could see the predictions of those wanting to stay in. 

Well you can't as time machines haven't been invented yet and, if they were, someone would've gone back to your conception and stopped it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

First rule of being a lawyer in court. Never ask a question when you don't know the answer. December 23, 2016:

'So the answer is that “Brexit” in “Brexit means Brexit” means Hard Brexit. We do not just quit the EU. We also give up any trade deals (and start no new ones) that involve breaking the principle of total UK immigration control. Hard Brexit equals Hard Times, almost certainly. But that is referendum democracy.'

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

I try and manage not to most days ....but then I occasionally get annoyed and cannot resist being drawn in.

But ICF,...you're a sensible chap and you really shouldn't!

58 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It hasn't been going well though has it...and for the last few weeks we have been watching very serious constitutional issues being played out (and 'played' is the right term). Time to open your eyes I think rather than repeat tired old words from a couple of years ago.

44 minutes ago, Herman said:

I think most had predicted this mess. 

Nobody could have a predicted a mess on this scale. A mess was expected but only Johnson could possibly have made a very bad situation even worse. 

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

"It hasn't been going well though has it" a  long way to go yet 

2 months

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

I don't have a PhD in common sense like you, I actually have a real PhD...

Cultural Media Studies?

24 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Nobody could have a predicted a mess on this scale. A mess was expected but only Johnson could possibly have made a very bad situation even worse. 

A fair point well made. 😀

43 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

how did you Edit the picture Shrimper ?

I didn't you FVCKWIT I edited IN MY TEXT.

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

🙃